As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TBS] Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

smac.jpg

Welcome folks, to my humble thread. It is not often I post stuff in the forums, and even less often I create whole new threads, but I do think that this game deserves it.

My idea was to create a thread about this great game, to raise some interest around it, to make old players remember it and new ones be amazed with this jewel of gaming.

First, let's leave the introductions to wikipedia, where they have summed it up beautifully (spoilered, it's a bit long):
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) is the critically acclaimed science fiction 4X turn-based strategy video game sequel to the Civilization series. Sid Meier, designer of Civilization, and Brian Reynolds, designer of Civilization II, developed Alpha Centauri after they left MicroProse to join the newly-created developer Firaxis Games.

Electronic Arts released both SMAC and its expansion, Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (SMAX), in 1999. In 2000, Aspyr Media and Loki Software ported both titles over to Mac OS and Linux.

Set in the 22nd century, the game begins as seven competing ideological factions land on the planet Chiron ("Planet") in the Alpha Centauri star system. As the game progresses, Planet's growing sentience becomes a formidable obstacle to the human colonists.
Alpha Centauri features improvements on Civilization II's game engine, including simultaneous multiplay, social engineering, climate, customizable units, alien native life, additional diplomatic and spy options, additional ways to win, and greater mod-ability . Alien Crossfire introduces two non-human factions as well as additional technologies, facilities, secret projects, native life, unit abilities and a victory condition.

The game received wide critical acclaim, being compared favorably to Civilization II. Critics praised its science fiction storyline (comparing the plot to works by Stanley Kubrick and Isaac Asimov), the in-game writing, the voice acting, the user-created custom units, and the depth of the technology tree. SMAC also won several awards for best game of the year and best strategy game of the year.

However, despite the critical acclaim, the game had the lowest sales of the Civilization series.

smac7.jpg

Clear enough?

Now, we should talk about the Factions, one of the most important features of the game; humans in the game are not divided by their nationality, but rather by their ideology. The whole plot revolves around this point.

- The Spartan Federation, led by Coronel Corazon Santiago. A pure militaristic survivalist, she fights for the right to bear arms, and strongly suspects of factions that amass wealth or pure researchers.

-The University of Planet, led by Academician Prokhor Zakharov, a technocratic faction that values knowledge above everything else, sometimes even moral impediments.

- Gaia's Stepdaughters, led by Lady Deirdre Skye; they abhor ecological destruction and want to live in tune with Planet (with a capital "P", yes).

- Morgan Industries, led by CEO Nwabudike Morgan. A corporate capitalistic faction, energy credits are everything for them.

- The Human Hive, led by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang. A totalitarian faction, founded on the principles of security and control.

- The Lord's Believers, led by Sister Miriam Godwinson. A fundamentalist faction wary of secular technology, they firmly believe Planet to be their "Promised Land".

- The Peacekeeping Forces, led by Commissioner Pravin Lal; this faction works hard to keep the peace through diplomacy and following the UN charter.

Once we are done with that, we should talk about the strong and the weak points of the game.

· Strong Points:

- The Unit Creator: Alpha Centauri features a Unit Design Workshop which is very flexible in comparison to other Civ games. For each unit, the workshop presents you with choices for each of a unit's weapon (attack strength), armor (defense strength), chassis (speed and terrain movement), reactor (hit points and build cost), and up to two special abilities (but only one until the discovery of Neural Grafting).

Each time you discover a new tech, it allows you to use new components in the Creator, unlike past (and future) Civ games, where units are pre-designed.

- Social Engineering: Social Engineering is equivalent to what the Civilization games refer to as form of government. However, Alpha Centauri's system is the most flexible of any Civ game (until Civilization IV): you can not only choose the form of government, but fine-tune its economy, values, and how it embraces advanced technology.

Do you want to create a Democracy with an economy ruled by a Free Market, focused on Knowledge values and hoping to become one day an Eudaimonic society? Or would you rather create a Police State, with an Green economy, focused on Power values and hoping to become a Cybernetic society one day? A mix of both? None? You can!

- Terraforming: From creating farms, solar collector and mines to raising and lowering the terrain, sea kelp farms, tide harnesses, thermal boreholes, echelon mirrors, hybrid forests...you can basically shape your terrain in any way you want.

- The Story: One of the reasons SMAC was so memorable is that the storyline was, well...there was
a storyline, unlike other Civ-type games where you have none. And it was well written too, with interludes where you read how were things going with Planet, etc.

- The Mindworms: In SMAC you don't have barbarians, you have MINDWORMS. And tought little buggers they were! You have them in three varieties: Land-based mindworms, sea-based Isles of the Deep and airborne Locusts of Chiron. A lot of technologies and background revolve around your fight against them. Or your understanding of them, if you were into that sorta thing.

- The Secret Projects: The equivalent of Wonders in other Civ-type games, these were special because each time you finished one a movie was shown to you. You must see them to understand, but many of them were really great, playing with philosophical concepts and whatnot.

· Weak Points:

- MP Games: Sadly, one of the serious lacks of this game is a robust multiplayer mode; it worked and you could play up to 7 players, but it was -very- problematic; you often didn't really know why you couldn't connect to the host of the game.
PBEM (Play by Email) was an option and was used for the longer games; it gave less problems too, so that was a plus.

- ICS: Infinite City Sprawl refers to the strategy based on the concept that a player should have as many cities as possible to crank out hordes of cheap military units; this was an strategy used a lot in Civ1 and 2, and altough SMAC compensated a bit for it, it was still a viable strategy; altough using it in MP was considered a gross breach of etiquette.

- Attack and Defense: Basically, A&D works in a weird way in SMAC. A unit with an ample advantage in its attack rating will still lose to a unit with a more balanced A&D ratios. Also, you had to seriously dig to find out which type of armor was best against which type of weapons.

+ + +

I could also talk about SMAX (Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire), the expansion pack for SMAC. It added 7 new factions, new technologies, secret projects, etc...but I think that for now that's enough.

My thanks to Demiurge for the help writing this post!

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Megamaniaco on

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I approve of this thread. I need to see if my copy is still laying around somewhere.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just installed it again today and decided I had to write a post about it. No other game has kept me hooked for so much time as this one did.

Let's hope it raises an interest in them youngster gamers.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you left out alien crossfire

gaians are the best faction even if you can't run free market. catch 20 mind worms then kill everyone

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I didn't, I talk about it in the end! I just thought it was way too much to start with, specially for people who don't know the game.

But yes, gaians were the best, along with the university. Free Network Nodes? Don't mind if I do~

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    sirboxalotsirboxalot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Disregard drones, corner global energy market.

sirboxalot on
    Everyday I'm shufflin' shufflin'
  • Options
    BushiBushi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm curious as to what's going on with that screenshot? It looks a lot better/different than what I'm used to.

Bushi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I always prefered the Ascent to Transcendence...but then again I've always been a technological-victory type :P
    Oh, and the screenshot is from IGN, heaven know from what year, or system.

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This one time I blew up a mountain so hard it turned into a sea and the whole world declared war on me.

That was a good time.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This one time I blew up a mountain so hard it turned into a sea and the whole world declared war on me.

That was a good time.

Always fun to tell Lal to suck on my Planet Busters.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, this game was awesome back in the day. I was also either a global domination win or the spaceflight win type of guy. University/Sparta for the win. I always made it my mission to find and eliminate Miriam as quickly as possible. Now I must find my copy and replay it and see if I'm able to understand the nuances more now that I'm older.

EDIT: After looking at the wiki it looks like I had the spaceflight win confused with another game. Whoops

Karrde1842 on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've always wanted to get into this game but never gotten around to it. What's the easiest way to get it running these days? Is it available for purchase digitally somewhere?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Check Amazon, they have several new and used copies. If you get the original SMAC box with everything, there's a very nice tech tree map which I still have, it looks great.

Or you could try the other usual sources.

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where my sequel at?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't get me started on the sequel, it has been talked about a lot and nowadays it's not impossible, but almost. Bryan Reynolds is gone, for a start.

But I would be satisfied with even a spiritual successor...

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When I was at home over Easter, I found this game in an old closet. Never knew we ever had it.

Anyway I installed it and got to playing it a few weeks back and I have to say that I am now a SMAC-head. I'm running it on a Vista 32-bit machine, not sure how it would work for 64-bit or windows 7 users.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It would sure be nice to start a PA multiplayer game of this, maybe even a [Let's Play...] thingie.
    Just a thought.

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I've always wanted to get into this game but never gotten around to it. What's the easiest way to get it running these days? Is it available for purchase digitally somewhere?

Buy it at Sold Out, since they are new copies and are like $15USD

http://www.mastertronic.com/productSoldOut.asp?pid=756&productLabelID=1

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shimshai wrote: »
    When I was at home over Easter, I found this game in an old closet. Never knew we ever had it.

Anyway I installed it and got to playing it a few weeks back and I have to say that I am now a SMAC-head. I'm running it on a Vista 32-bit machine, not sure how it would work for 64-bit or windows 7 users.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and it runs fine on my machine. Also, be sure to grab the Windows 2000/XP compatibility patch and then add DirectDraw=0 to the Alpha Centauri.ini under the Alpha Centauri header. This enables the game to run in your desktop's resolution instead of the default 1024x768. It makes the game much nicer to play on newer monitors.

Also, I reinstalled this after seeing this thread, with the intention of seeing how well it works on my new machine. Three hours disappeared in an instant. What an awesome game.

Drake on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What a game.

I did a retrospective of it for RPS last month.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Played so much of this when it first came out that it's still the second game I think of when I hear "Turn-based strategy". The first being Civilization 2. I'm still sad that we'll likely never see a sequel or remake.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is a -very- good retrospective, LewieP! I should copypasta it all on the OP, tbs :P

Megamaniaco on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks!

LewieP on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I loved playing as the UN so I could get that extra vote and stick it to those Spartan bastards

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I love playing the Spartans so I could nail Lal with a Planet Buster before sending in the Orbital Drop Pod Marines.

Drake on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love playing University and having tech a full generation ahead of everyone else..

Once I get the fucking hunter-seeker algorithm that is. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I regret not having brought this game with me on my vacation with my laptop, especially since I was still working on a new game in the scenario editor.

And yes, the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm is the greatest thing ever.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And pretty much necessary if you are playing University.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I always liked the data angels because their only drawback is -1 police and who cares about that

Hunter seeker this university

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    And pretty much necessary if you are playing University.

True. And once you get it, you can become all, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm busy transcending time, space, and matter. Did you want something to dig your first borehole with? Maybe a shovel?"

I'm very much an original faction player. The expansion factions never really grabbed me, they didn't seem to have the same detail, I guess. Though I do wish you could have a game on a super-huge map with literally all the factions.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hive for life.

One of the things that makes this game so great is how everyone has a different favorite faction. Except for the Believers, everyone hates Miriam.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    True. Everyone hates Miriam.

I, for example, dislike the Spartans. Mostly because they love to fight with you if you share a border (or really for any excuse). And fighting means one of two things: either you lose, which is bad, or you win, which just leaves you occupying a bunch of starving, underdeveloped, bankrupt Spartan bases. The only way to win is not to fight (or, I suppose, planetbusters).

But everyone hates the Believers. They're not an easy faction to play as either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

I, for example, dislike the Spartans. Mostly because they love to fight with you if you share a border (or really for any excuse). And fighting means one of two things: either you lose, which is bad, or you win, which just leaves you occupying a bunch of starving, underdeveloped, bankrupt Spartan bases. The only way to win is not to fight (or, I suppose, planetbusters).

But everyone hates the Believers. They're not an easy faction to play as either.

Select unit that captured Spartan Base->Actions->Exterminate Base.

Problem solved.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the aliens pirates and cheese dong were kind of bleh. not the most balanced factions(in both spectrums, aliens op cult/pirate up). the other 3 were good I liked the cyborgs a lot too.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Problem solved.

Yeah, yeah, but if you're going to commit atrocities, you might as well go big and turn their own territory into a bunch of lakes. Not like the Spartans bother building many cities either.

Hence, planetbusters. That's my thinking anyway. I really like building expensive stuff.

Actually, a less controversial fix is simply to "force relocate" everyone buy churning out the cheapest model of colony pods, speeding up the rate of starvation. I'd forgotten about that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Problem solved.

Yeah, yeah, but if you're going to commit atrocities, you might as well go big and turn their own territory into a bunch of lakes. Not like the Spartans bother building many cities either.

Hence, planetbusters. That's my thinking anyway. I really like building expensive stuff.

Actually, a less controversial fix is simply to "force relocate" everyone buy churning out the cheapest model of colony pods, speeding up the rate of starvation. I'd forgotten about that.

I suppose. Too much playing as the Hive tends to leave a mark on one's playstyle I guess. :P

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Problem solved.

I suppose. Too much playing as the Hive tends to leave a mark on one's playstyle I guess. :P

Seems so.

Man, that's a thing about games, especially good ones. You start to see things from a certain angle when considering the game that matches the chosen playstyle. It's interesting.

Especially when you start playing someone else for a change of pace.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I loved playing as the UN so I could get that extra vote and stick it to those Spartan bastards
    The Spartans? They hardly ever have a significant presence. I don't think the AI really knows how to play them.

The Hive, on the other hand, tends to turn into a sprawling empire made of far too many crap bases. You would need the votes against them.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    True. As a habit, I tend to avoid atrocities not for moral reasons (obliterating a few million people to demonstrate a point, when you clearly have little need to, is pretty horrible) simply because I played the University a lot, so I have many technological options anyway.

When I played the Peacekeepers, I had to rely on a coalition to keep me alive while I furiously strove for enough votes to get myself elected head of the council. Which inevitably meant a three-way alliance with the University and either the Gaians or the Morganites (whoever hadn't killed the other). That's a lot harder if you keep violating the charter.

Plus, if you spend any length of time as the University, you learn that their apparently hilarious disregard for ethics results in plenty of drones, so you come to automatically deal with them as quickly as you can, through base upgrades and careful planning.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough. With the Hive the only people who don't already hate you because of your social engineering are the other morally ambiguous factions, and of those the only one worth keeping around is the University, so I tend to play with the assumption that I'll be at Vendetta with everyone else eventually anyways, why bother trying to stick to "nice" solutions to problems?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's not that bad for the University--in fact, I'd say, with the Peacekeepers, they're one of the less 'controversial' factions, SE wise. You're really left to your own devices as them, if you want to piss off your neighbors or not, and tanks to tech, they usually can rely on 'survival' much longer and remain competitive if you so desire. Survivial = Noncontroversial.

The Morganites will often ally with you early on until you actually can change your economic models. The AI tends to like to cooperate with the human player anyway.

The Hive don't seem to care at all, either way.

The Peacekeepers get along with you pretty well, even though, like everyone else, they annoyingly ask for handout tech.

The Gaians do the same as the Peacekeepers but, again, unless you adopt Free Market economics, they don't seem to get upset.

So that leaves the Spartans and the Miriams as the two real points of contention (and possibly the Morganites, late game).

This is only based on my own experience, though. I'd really like a huge game with all the factions, original and expansion, in play.

Synthesis on