As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Over] Star Wars Battlefront II PC - Peacetime

IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
battlewangs502.jpg

Welcome New Recruits!

Attennnnnnshuuuun! Welcome new recruits to the battlefront! Look lively and pay attention, and you may just make it through this and be sipping Correlian rum shooters on Coruscant by sunsdown!

Now, you may have heard stories about the unstoppable 501st regiment aptly named Vader's Fist. You fresh faced farmboys are on a different path and are all now proud members of the 502nd, also aptly named after Vader's..er.. other bits. Stand tall and erect for you are now a part of:
BATTLEWANGS 502nd

What is Star Wars Battlefront II

Star Wars Battlefront II is a multiplayer fps where you fight ground and space battles in the Star Wars universe. While it may not be a deep or exceptionally balanced game, it is a lot of fun if you are a Star Wars fan and have a good group to play with.

Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORhOxerr9vo

There are a few different modes of play:

Conquest - Capture control nodes

Hunt - Kill enemies within a time limit, like sniping ewoks on Endor

Hero Assault - All players play as iconic character like Darth Vader, General Grievous, Han Solo, etc in team deathmatch (heroes vs villains)

Space Assault - Space battles where you infiltrate and assault the capital ship of the other team and try to disable it from within while the rest of your team tries to shoot it down in epic space battles.

There also additional modes of play in mods like the conversion pack, such as Order 66 (Clone Troopers vs Jedi,) and Hero CTF. To start, we'll all be playing vanilla to keep it simple, but eventually it will be converted to a conversion pack server which has a ton of extra maps, characters, and an additional new era (The Old Republic from KOTOR.)

Where to buy Star Wars Battlefront II

Steam has Star Wars Battlefront II available for $9.99! The Steam version is fully patched and also works with mods!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6060/

Playing Online with PA

The first thing to do is to actually join the Battlewangs steam group that we'll be using to coordinate multi. All members of Battlewangs have access to invite other PA forumers into the group. We simply ask that you make sure that they are active members from PA before sending an invite.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/battlewangs?

The PA SWBF2 server has sadly been retired due to server costs. Thanks to DigitalSyn for paying for everything out of pocket as long as he did. The 502nd Battlewangs battalion is a noble brotherhood that will always live on in our hearts.

Spoilered server info is no longer valid;
We now have our own hosted dedicated server thanks to the generous awesomefuckingtasticness of DigitalSyn. The earlier RDNS issues and performance issues have all been addressed and everything seems stable. The server is up 24/7 and supports 64 players so you can join and play anytime. I'm permanently hanging out in Battlewangs group chat as well in case you have any problem or questions or simply want to get a game going

Conversion Pack Server Name: BattleWangs_conversion
Pass: [standard PA pass]
* Info on installing the conversion pack mod can be found below

Server Name: BattleWangs_vanilla
Pass: [standard PA pass]

All of us who play are almost always on the conversion server rather than vanilla since the Conversion Pack has tons of awesome extra maps and modes. The vanilla server does see occasional use though and will be sticking around. It's usually 1-2 people practicing against bots (which are maxed out at 32 on the vanilla server.)

We'll be using our private GotR Teamspeak server for these SWBF2 games, kindly provided to us by DigitalSyn:
TS server name: finalack.com:9988
pass: [standard PA pass]

Server and Teampspeak status showing how many people are playing and who is on TS:
http://status.finalack.com/

b_160_400_1_ffffff_c5c5c5_ffffff_000000_0_1_0.pngb_160_400_1_ffffff_c5c5c5_ffffff_000000_0_1_0.png

If you are getting timeouts trying to connect then you will need to open the following ports both TCP and UDP:

The only real rule is not to be a dick or a raging competitive asshole. We play for fun, and we don't give new people shit. Period. In fact, we're happy to play learning games and take the time to help new players get a grasp of how it all works and build up a good group. We're all here to have fun fighting big Star Wars battles!

The Conversion Pack

The Conversion Pack is a mod that adds all the original Battlefront maps, 4 new game modes, new heroes, and a whole new era (The Old Republic.) Installing the Conversion Pack will still allow you to join and play on vanilla servers. There will be a transition period for everyone to get it installed where both a vanilla dedicated and a conversion dedicated will be hosted simultaneously on our new box.

INSTALLATION

STEP 1. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.0
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154#Download

Alternate link:
http://www.fileplanet.com/191993/190000/fileinfo/Star-Wars:-Battlefront-2---GT-conversion-Pack-v2.0

!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Make sure to change the path to your Steam folder (or wherever swbf2 is installed) and not the default program files path that it defaults to! The installer does not search the registry for the correct location and simply uses the default path!

When browsing for location make sure to choose the "star wars battlefront ii" folder. The installer will then automatically append a "GameData" folder to the end like in this screenshot:

zt2DX.jpg

Clicking OK and returning should show your install path looking like this:

X6ZjY.jpg

You may get an error at the end of the Conversion Pack 2.0 install when it brings up a command prompt window and tries to install the 1.3 patch. You can safely ignore any errors that it throws up like "wrong operating system." A newer version of the 1.3 patch is included anyway with Conversion Pack 2.2 patch in Step 2.

After the install, check to see if you have the following folders created:
..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\GameData\addon\BF1

STEP 2. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.2 Patch
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack_Patch;98307

Alternate link:
http://www.fileplanet.com/197904/190000/fileinfo/Star-Wars:-Battlefront-2---Conversion-Patch-v2.2

Same notes as above about the install path. Browse to the "star wars battlefront ii" and the installer will automatically append the GameData subfolder at the end.

This install of 2.2 will update a few files and also install the latest patch 1.3

STEP 3. Replace the fucking awful HUD from 1.3

By default, the 1.3 patch install will replace the HUD to look like this and obscure your view:
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+16-44-10-65.jpg

If you like that new HUD, well, cool. You're done. Congratulations! If you hate that your view is now obscured though, then it's really easy to revert back to the original:

* Run menu.bat from the 1.3 patch folder where it was installed
..\star wars battlefront ii\GameData\addon\AAA-v1.3patch\menu.bat

uVmc5.jpg

Simply choose 3 to Remove the HUD changes and press ENTER, then 0 to exit.

YrQsC.jpg

You're done!

NOTE: Even with everything installed, the game still thinks it is at the final 1.1 patch level. You should still be able to play vanilla SWBF2 and connect to any server without issue.

Troubleshooting

CRASH ON LEVEL LOAD:

Enabling stereo mix in recording is one fix that has worked for some of us:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10601340&postcount=11

Another possible fix for this issue is simply plugging in an old microphone into the input (microphone) jack on your soundcard. This one personally worked for me.

BLACK TEXTURES ON EVERYTHING AFTER A COUPLE OF LEVELS

Set the draw distance slider in video options back to its default (do not max it out.)

Media

uguyi.png

When your team does well, one player can spawn in as a hero character like Vader:

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+16-38-30-82.jpg

Driving an AT-ST on Hoth and shootin' down some Tauntaun riding rebels

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-22-44-80.jpg

Hero CTF on Yavin

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+16-59-02-53.jpg

Piloting an x-wing on Tattoine:

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+16-48-59-65.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+16-49-04-64.jpg

Order 66 mode clones vs jedi. All of us playing clone troopers taking on tons of AI jedi scum.

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-25-49-80.jpg

Hunt mode with all of us playing wampas laying the smack down on the AI rebels

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+20-35-04-41.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+20-35-06-42.jpg

Space Assault:

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+18-45-57-21.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+18-45-58-21.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-40-02-72.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-40-53-71.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-36-19-72.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+17-19-42-94.jpg
main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2%2FBattlefrontII+2010-12-09+19-35-55-73.jpg

More screenshots from previous SWBF2 games with the gents:
http://finalack.com/Idol/album/main.php?cmd=album&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_1/
http://finalack.com/Idol/album/main.php?cmd=album&var1=101209_SWBF2_multi_2/

IdolNinja on

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FUCK YES!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure if you fine folks know about it yet, but some dedicated modders have made a spirited attempt to increase the size of battles.

They succeeded.

To date, there are some fucking huge maps.

We're talking, 1000 troops on each side, at least. A ridiculous number of tickets (That actually is needed, to keep the fight from ending in two minutes.). Maps that would do Planetside justice. And even maps where you have hundreds, or thousands of NPC's, fighting on the ground, and in capital ships on the same map.

Some maps also include (In a limited number available to be played at any one time.), "classes", like Jedi Knights, or named heroes from the EU/movies (These usually only appear on maps where the troop count is huge, meaning you can get zerged to death fairly easily if you try to rambo with a Jedi/Sith.) too.

This is probably the real reason why BF3 never came out (Outside of developer incompetence.). The modders did it first, and in a way that was most likely far better then any dev team could do.

Some of these maps could be hosted in MP, too, and are really well designed. I recall seeing someone having scaled up the BF2 Hoth map so that it included the full base interior and launch bay, and increased the troop/player count to an obscene number. The BF2 Hoth map that most players are familiar with is just part one of a very long, and epic, siege.

Archonex on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have the disc version of this game, If i find it i'll install it if you guys plan to play online. I always really liked this game.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you fine folks know about it yet, but some dedicated modders have made a spirited attempt to increase the size of battles.

They succeeded.

That sounds awesome. I do think everyone needs a little bit of time on vanilla first to get up to speed, but I can see something like that happening as a scheduled recurring event later on in addition to our regular 64 player games.

I wonder what kind of crazy bandwidth you would need to host something like that...

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

They succeeded.

To date, there are some fucking huge maps.

We're talking, 1000 troops on each side, at least. A ridiculous number of tickets (That actually is needed, to keep the fight from ending in two minutes.). Maps that would do Planetside justice. And even maps where you have hundreds, or thousands of NPC's, fighting on the ground, and in capital ships on the same map.

Some maps also include (In a limited number available to be played at any one time.), "classes", like Jedi Knights, or named heroes from the EU/movies (These usually only appear on maps where the troop count is huge, meaning you can get zerged to death fairly easily if you try to rambo with a Jedi/Sith.) too.

This is probably the real reason why BF3 never came out (Outside of developer incompetence.). The modders did it first, and in a way that was most likely far better then any dev team could do.

Some of these maps could be hosted in MP, too, and are really well designed. I recall seeing someone having scaled up the BF2 Hoth map so that it included the full base interior and launch bay, and increased the troop/player count to an obscene number. The BF2 Hoth map that most players are familiar with is just part one of a very long, and epic, siege.

Links! Links!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OMG OMG OMG

ya'll need to get IN on this shit yo

this is some of craziest silly star wars-related fun you can HAVE.

UNIVERSALLY.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Considering the campaign is just bot matches, its oddly amusing
    I can only assume actual people would make this far better.

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have the disc version of this game, If i find it i'll install it if you guys plan to play online. I always really liked this game.

It's like this man just read my mind.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shooting Arcadians while in an AT-AT sounds terribly tempting. I may need to get in on this.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I never played this multiplayer or online, but me and my friend used to co-op this on xbox all the damn time.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh god, oh goddddd

Answer me this, gang
    Is there a hoth level in which I can take out an actual player who is driving an AT-AT, by doing the ol' snowspeeder/grappling hook combo

Also I allow you all to get mad at this question, as I'm the reason that every Star Wars game has to have a Hoth level of some kind :oops:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Kami wrote: »
    Oh god, oh goddddd

Answer me this, gang
    Is there a hoth level in which I can take out an actual player who is driving an AT-AT, by doing the ol' snowspeeder/grappling hook combo

Also I allow you all to get mad at this question, as I'm the reason that every Star Wars game has to have a Hoth level of some kind :oops:

There is a Hoth level. There are both AT-ATs and snowspeeders.

I vaguely remember reading something about being able to do it, but I haven't personally tried. To the googlemobile!

EDIT:

And it looks like the answer is a resounding YES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVsw-Yjz6PI

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kami wrote: »
    Oh god, oh goddddd

Answer me this, gang

It's ok. Everyone secretly wants to emulate Wedge and Janson. It's only natural.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I want to punch Archonex for talking about some awesome mod and then not naming it or linking it. I tried searching for it to no avail.

Dammit, Archonex. Does that mod really exist? It seems too good to be true. I can imagine it would blow up the game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I too would like to stab Archonex in the neck for being a silly goose and talking about the DREAM Star Wars battlefront II mod.

Why are you torturing us?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey, I own this game! And I remember having fun with it.

Time to reinstall, woo!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you are getting a CTD on trying to load up a mission, try this fix I found on the Steam forum.

Worked like a charm for me.

Drake on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Phht, well that was a bust. Game installed, but won't run. The front end just perpetually asks me to update my DirectX install, which does nothing, and if I go in and run the exe straight up, it crashes. And apparently I can't put the CD key into Steam and download it that way.

Meh, oh well.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well I found my disc version, wonder if it will run on Win7. Are you guys going to play this online?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, as soon as Idolninja moves into his new place and gets innernetz he's gonna put up a server for us all to serve the Empire on.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah, as soon as Idolninja moves into his new place and gets innernetz he's gonna put up a server for us all to serve the Empire on.

Indeed. In the meantime, we can join pub servers or do local hosting. I'll start scheduling some evening times this week for us to get together in Steam group chat and play.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, take a look in the OP and join the Steam group, Elimination. That'll be the best way to keep up with when we are gonna play.

Drake on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is such a fantastic idea.

SammyF on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bought, group joined.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I too would like to stab Archonex in the neck for being a silly goose and talking about the DREAM Star Wars battlefront II mod.

Why are you torturing us?

My apologies. Was at an early July 4th party.

It's not actually one mod, but a crap-ton of people who have taken the map kit, and turned it into something awesome. As such, there's not one web-site, or mod, that has all the things I mentioned. SWBF2 actually has a rather impressive mapping community backing it, or did. It's been a few years since I poked around with the game.

In fact, as far as I can tell, there is no actual mod required to play any of the current maps.

Rather, the map editor has no upper cap on the number of NPC's that can join a game. So it's just an issue of installing the maps. This also means you can do what BF2 vanilla didn't, and have multiple cap ships in the same battle. There's one Coruscant map that is pretty much the battle from the prequels, what with about a dozen ships duking it out, and fighters all over the place.

Of course, some people, not understanding the concept of overkill, perhaps, add a few too many ships to maps.

95554_3.jpg

95554_4.jpg

Some people also have some rather hilarious map ideas. (Spoilered for size.)

82836_6.jpg

82836_7.jpg

This is a good place to start:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/

It has some of the larger maps. Including, I think (As of several years ago.) Hoth Expanded in it's full, not-sucky form.

Once I get the chance, i'll post some of my favorite maps.

Edit: I've never played this map, but it's the most downloaded map on the site, at the moment, and it looks interesting/doable for a small group of players.

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/SBF_Hypori_Greivous_Attacks;60364

It's a recreation of the scene in the original animated series, where Grievous proceeds to lay waste to a dozen or so Jedi (Who are holding off an army of droids.). Only now it's been recreated in XL format. Apparently one side takes on the role of 18 jedi. And the other side is comprised of 200+ droids and Grievous.

Pics below.
    60364_3.jpg

60364_1.jpg

Archonex on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh god i'm so excited for this

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    So Idol, how long do we have to wait until you start work on a super mod for this? :P

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    To help get some more interest in this game, here's a few videos I dug up on Youtube. All of them are of modded/custom made maps. Pardon the shitty music overlaid over some of them, BF2 was released back in the "AMV" phase of Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Tsc9wz9zQ&feature=related
    Yes, those are the creatures from the arena scene in Attack of the Clones, eating the two armies alive, at one point. BF2 supports indigenous wild-life on maps. Sometimes it's aligned, like the goddamn Ewoks on the Endor maps. And sometimes it just likes to kill everything, like in the "Wampa Hunter" (Hint, you're not hunting them. They're hunting you.) mode in one of the vanilla Hoth Hunting maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UtHh3IsFI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq36qk1vwUs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngtPkjhwWU8&feature=related

This is a video of the map I mentioned that might be interesting to play out in MP, a few posts above here. I'm assuming that it's a MP compatible map (Albeit with a bit of work.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7TZHy_yGGY&feature=related

This is actually one of my favorite maps, back when I used to play. It has some path-finding issues (Namely, the tunnel that the guy runs down in the beginning is so small, that most NPC's will file down it single-file.). But it also has some ridiculously intense gun-battles with the right settings. You'll also notice that despite the map's very large size, gun-battles are taking place everywhere. I'm not sure, since it was so long ago, but I believe the number of NPC's on each side was heavily modified to make this map doable.

Each side also has unique unlockable classes, like ARC Commanders (Badasses with miniguns, for those unfamiliar with the movies and EU.), or Magnaguards (Robot badasses with laser pole-arms.). These aren't hero classes (Which for you BF2 newbies, is basically a special unit that players can earn the right to play, for a limited time.), but rather, very advanced classes that you can unlock by getting a high kill count. Though, there is a cap on how many can be in the field at any one time.

In terms of how it plays out, it's basically Hoth 2.0 with both sides defending their own little Echo Base, and having siege weaponry.

The sides of the map are two, relatively flat routes, for siege vehicles, bombers (The map has star fighters from cap-ship battles, too.), and troops to cross. And an internal "Echo Base" style tunnel in the center, that only troops can get through, for short-cuts to the enemy side of the map. Interspersed in the side routes are bunkers that have control points, making it so the battle is a tactical slug-fest, where you need to gain, and hold ground, as you advance. Each side of the map has a capital ship, and an armories' worth of vehicles, ships, and defenses set up, for that final stand.

In terms of balance, it's pretty clever. Both factions have some powerful heroes, and you have a choice of going through some claustrophobic death-trap corridors, to reach the other base, or crossing the open field. The latter of which is preferable to do, by using vehicles, or by protecting a siege vehicle, since the map is mostly flat with a bunch of places for snipers to ruin your shit if you run out in the open too much.

This is apparently an amped up "XL" version (Essentially a "bonus" mode with tons of heroes from the movies and books in place of the usual troops, in this case.) now, too. Not sure how that plays out, but the version I played was pretty damn fun.

Here's a video containing some scenes of the "XL" version, just for the sake of things. Note the abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous number of heroes on the field at a few points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuHauEGuCs&feature=related

Edit: Just for the hell of it, here's some video's of BF2 Vanilla's "Hunt" mode.

Just as a quick bit of backstory, in hunting mode, one faction is replaced by the "indigenous" species faction on a given map. As you can imagine. Most of these maps are very one sided, since it's usually something like a heavily armed Empire slaughtering primitive Ewoks en-mass. No movie immortality here!

So unless you lucked out and picked it first, you probably think this is a fun duck hunt where you can dick around. Then you try Hoth's Hunt mode. And horror happens. This map is pretty much designed to give you PTSD induced flashbacks to the Hoth "Shadows of the Empire" N64 levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sDHn7daxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxRHrykWxg

It should say something about this map, that the mini-guns in the background never go quiet, and the player brings a rocket launcher to the fight.

Archonex on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so here I was, thinking I'd played all I wanted of Battlefront 2 on the oXbox and you guys have to come in and show off all these crazy mods

will buy this tonight

MrDelish on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am going to get this again when I get home from work. My only problem being my 7 year old already stealing my PC for minecraft and now this too.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh man

wampa hunt is SO FUCKING FUN when everyone chooses to play as wampas

:D

we need to up the number of rebels a TON, though, because the level always ends in 30 seconds.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    we need to up the number of rebels a TON, though, because the level always ends in 30 seconds.

curly, unfortunately hunt mode doesn't work with troop tickets the same way other modes do. There's no way to increase those numbers even with server commands. I've already asked around about it and got the same answer everywhere. i.e. that it was a huge oversight not to let us tweak those numbers. This is for a dedicated server btw.

Also, one thing to keep in mind with SWBF2 mods/maps is that there is a hard limit of how many you can have active. So, the bigger map packs like conversion pack and 101 need to have their map folder backed up and emptied if you want to play/add single ones or swap them out. Otherwise it will just crash the game.

Not a huge deal, but I just wanted to mention it in case someone runs into it before we get this started proper.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to play this a ton back in the day on PS2. I think I am going to bring that back out and see if I still feel like playing it. If so, I might get it on Steam.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »

curly, unfortunately hunt mode doesn't work with troop tickets the same way other modes do. There's no way to increase those numbers even with server commands. I've already asked around about it and got the same answer everywhere. i.e. that it was a huge oversight not to let us tweak those numbers. This is for a dedicated server btw.

Also, one thing to keep in mind with SWBF2 mods/maps is that there is a hard limit of how many you can have active. So, the bigger map packs like conversion pack and 101 need to have their map folder backed up and emptied if you want to play/add single ones or swap them out. Otherwise it will just crash the game.

Not a huge deal, but I just wanted to mention it in case someone runs into it before we get this started proper.

vader.jpg

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This... looks like a lot of fun. I think I had this for... wow, was it the Gamecube? I had it for some old system. But I do remember it being fun, and the notion of 1000+ players in a single game sounds fantastic!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This... looks like a lot of fun. I think I had this for... wow, was it the Gamecube? I had it for some old system. But I do remember it being fun, and the notion of 1000+ players in a single game sounds fantastic!

I still have this on XBox, and I used to play it pretty often. Just alone, with difficult bots, and the options set so I could spawn as jedi and just rip the shit out of them. Good times.

I'll have to pick this up on Steam when I get paid Wednesday.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Used to play this for hours with my old roommate on the xbox whiles ago.

Just bought it right now, but I crash to desktop unless I plug some headphones into my microphone jack? Seriously... How do I make this not crash to desktop WITHOUT that stupid work-around?

This is the first game I ever purchased on steam and its making my want my 6 dollars back already..

Merculore on
  • Options
    MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nevermind i got it to work by plugging it into my microwave @ the 300 ghz frequency using a baked potato capacitor.

Merculore on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh my god I love this game. I've run into the unfortunate problem of my download cap though and I unfortunately can't spare the 4GB to download this :(

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey guys, I just bought this game. Am I cool yet?

SciJo on