As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Vote for FemShep.... again!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Stupid, sexy Shepard.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    Spoiler'd for image size
    masseffect2__miranda_trollface_by_trueprince-d3eyo4k.jpg

Thank you. Now I know what will be in my nightmares tonight.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:
    Yeah, I always assumed it was a reaper from the start and I didn't know it was supposed to be a reveal at all!

Well I don't think it was ever intended to be a surprise to the player, but the point was that up until the suicide mission, Shepard might suspect, but had no way of actually knowing for sure that Harby was a reaper. And as long as Harby had a puppet to wear he was never going to show his face; he's not a dumbass like Sovy.

Hey that's not nice. Sovy was way cooler than Harbinger.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    You know...playing through Arrival again and something really bugs me...
    So...you guys want to let the Reapers into the galaxy...start the invasion that cool.

So...why in the hell do you take Shepard, probably the only person who can stop you...right to your base?

Because...
    They're indoctrinated, not genuinely loyal to the Reapers. Hence they're subsconsciously working against themselves, using the same loose rationalizations that justified pro-Reaper behavior. Why not kill Shepherd? Because he should see the glory of the Reapers/we can convert him into a powerful ally! (And maybe he'll break free and stop us, not that we want that to happen...)

This is why they never just deleted the preset targeting for the Mass Relay. The indoctrination has enough control to stop them from pushing the button, but they have enough self-control to leave the button there to be pushed.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    You know...playing through Arrival again and something really bugs me...
    So...you guys want to let the Reapers into the galaxy...start the invasion that cool.

So...why in the hell do you take Shepard, probably the only person who can stop you...right to your base?

Because...
    They're indoctrinated, not genuinely loyal to the Reapers. Hence they're subsconsciously working against themselves, using the same loose rationalizations that justified pro-Reaper behavior. Why not kill Shepherd? Because he should see the glory of the Reapers/we can convert him into a powerful ally! (And maybe he'll break free and stop us, not that we want that to happen...)

This is why they never just deleted the preset targeting for the Mass Relay. The indoctrination has enough control to stop them from pushing the button, but they have enough self-control to leave the button there to be pushed.
    i like this explanation. it's why saren could be convinced to off himself at the end of all my playthroughs. >:D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Face it, Shepard is a suave bitch.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

i like this explanation. it's why saren could be convinced to off himself at the end of all my playthroughs. >:D

/nod

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    If you're going to have a hand wave, make it a good one. :P

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...one more thing I thought about.
    At the end of Arrival...the soldiers trying to stop you from getting to the communication tower are left by an escape pod. If that escape pod managed to get to the mass relay that means that the Reapers have indoctrinated sleeper agents walking about. That can't be good.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    At the end of Arrival...the soldiers trying to stop you from getting to the communication tower are left by an escape pod. If that escape pod managed to get to the mass relay that means that the Reapers have indoctrinated sleeper agents walking about. That can't be good.
    Eh, they surely aren't the only ones. I'm willing to bet there are more than a few indoctrinated persons in various governments. Though I'm not specifically pointing to the Council, since I am one of the few who actually think it's reasonable of them to doubt that mythical creatures actually exist and are planning to despoil the entire galaxy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I finally understood why they named themselves Cerberus - because of the Charon relay. Jeepers I'm slow.

Though that makes it seem like they're suggesting our solar system is Hades...

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Cambiata wrote:
    I finally understood why they named themselves Cerberus - because of the Charon relay. Jeepers I'm slow.

Pluto = Hades

edit: Weren't they going to name that new Pluto moon Cerberus?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Dox the PI wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Pluto = Hades

Yes, I know, but the codex about the cerberus manifesto specifically makes the analogy of needing a cerberus to keep people from entering the Charon relay - they're not just talking about astronomical bodies, they're calling up the image of Charon, the ferryman of the river styx, and Cerberus, the three-headed dog acting as a guard - though kind of a weird choice, since Cerberus was ostensibly there to keep people in, not keep enemies out. But now that I think about it like that, maybe Cerberus is suggesting that the rest of the galaxy is Hades, and Cerberus is guarding the gate to make sure they don't leave.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    edit: Ha Ha... nvm

lrn 2 read, Skull

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    Dox the PI wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Pluto = Hades

Yes, I know, but the codex about the cerberus manifesto specifically makes the analogy of needing a cerberus to keep people from entering the Charon relay - they're not just talking about astronomical bodies, they're calling up the image of Charon, the ferryman of the river styx, and Cerberus, the three-headed dog acting as a guard - though kind of a weird choice, since Cerberus was ostensibly there to keep people in, not keep enemies out. But now that I think about it like that, maybe Cerberus is suggesting that the rest of the galaxy is Hades, and Cerberus is guarding the gate to make sure they don't leave.

so our solar system is basically Outside the Asylum. where TIM the Sane lives. :^:

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options

So...I guess the next book will have more Kai Leng in it.

Can't wait til the game comes out so I can shoot him in the face. And if LotSB is any indication I'm thinking the boss battles in ME3 will be a lot more dynamic.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Eh, they surely aren't the only ones. I'm willing to bet there are more than a few indoctrinated persons in various governments. Though I'm not specifically pointing to the Council, since I am one of the few who actually think it's reasonable of them to doubt that mythical creatures actually exist and are planning to despoil the entire galaxy.
    It is not unreasonable per se to disbelieve in the Reapers. However, the Council is doing so because they're useless stubborn cowardly fools who refuse to admit that a real challenge to the existence of galactic civilization can exist because they like things the way they are and have convinced themselves that it can't change.

...yeah, I'm not too fond of the Council.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I hold that the Council knows all about the reapers but for political and social reasons choose to pretend they don't. It makes sense I suppose. From their perspective it would seem like there's nothing that can be done about it, we're all fucked; might as well keep the peace until then and let folks go quickly instead of having mass panic leading up to it.

I mean, Shepards information aside, they have too many operatives, too many spectres, too many places, to not put it together.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    tumblr_lp3yn59axd1r0xjm9o1_500.jpg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the thing you have to understand about the council is that they already saw a reaper and its leg even landed right in their chambers, so they are either mortally stupid or they're hiding something

but it doesn't matter, because they're still jerks

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Ok, so they might be able to buy that the ship Saren was using was ultra advanced technology. That doesn't mean that they are 'stupid' if they don't believe that that superadvanced ship is a mythological being from a race of mythological beings. If Shepard came before the council claiming that Saren was riding around in Zeus himself and that the entire galactic community was about to get a lightning bolt up the ass, would anyone be surprised at the Council's skepticism?

Cambiata on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rTIA9T-LLY

Pretty much every squadmate flat out says that the council knows but is lying. I suppose it makes sense not to tell the person who 'resurrected' after two years of death and only checks in when passing by after associating with a terrorist group.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote:
    Ok, so they might be able to buy that the ship Saren was using was ultra advanced technology. That doesn't mean that they are 'stupid' if they don't believe that that superadvanced ship is a mythological being from a race of mythological beings. If Shepard came before the council claiming that Saren was riding around in Zeus himself and that the entire galactic community was about to get a lightning bolt up the ass, would anyone be surprised at the Council's skepticism?

I see you have fallen for Saren's charisma which led him to trick the geth and plant an elaborate ruse about machine gods to throw off Shepard

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    -Tal wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

I see you have fallen for Saren's charisma which led him to trick the geth and plant an elaborate ruse about machine gods to throw off Shepard

Well they're obviously lying about the Geth. They know Sovereign wasn't a Geth creation, but they don't think Sovereign was Zeus, either. They may suspect that there might be more of whatever Sovereign was out there, but they don't believe in mythical beings out to rape the universe. So it's a mix of unbelief and lying to keep the populace calm.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    i don't really believe in santa claus either

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Someone's getting coal for Christmas.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    We don't have a probe that can extract coal yet.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Well they're obviously lying about the Geth. They know Sovereign wasn't a Geth creation, but they don't think Sovereign was Zeus, either. They may suspect that there might be more of whatever Sovereign was out there, but they don't believe in mythical beings out to rape the universe. So it's a mix of unbelief and lying to keep the populace calm.

The Council reaction is nothing worse than elected officials right now. There were signs of the debt bubble blowing up in 2006, but they were ignored. The Fed switched from telling Congress it was sustainable price growth, to a stall with a soft landing, to Congress really needs to pass TARP because the economy will collapse otherwise when the bubble burst in the Fall of 2008.

To counter the Reaper threat would require a total war approach, in a time when there is no large and present danger. It would be nice if the Council has been acting like FDR prior to WW2, but I doubt it.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

what is Saren's motivation for attacking the Citadel?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    He's jealous of their freedom.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

what is Saren's motivation for attacking the Citadel?

Killing the council.

Do you think Shepard is the only Spectre who hates the Turian councilor? Half of Blasto's cases are rogue agents going after the guy for the air quotes.

• Options
    The turian councilor is Saren's best friend. Who else has such a blatant disregard for protecting human colonies? He'd make Cerberus blush.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    The Turian councillor has clearly been indoctrinated to not believe in the existence of "Reapers".

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

"You will get presents because we allow it. And you will leave cookies out because we demand it"

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Most of the bullshit surrounding the Council can be handwaved by remembering that they are space-politicians.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    From what we've seen, much of Citadel Space is literally a shot of tequilla and a dare away from total anarchy. And not just "Anarchy in the UK" anarchy either--murder and genocide upon eachother anarchy. Literally. Frankly, I'm shocked such a thing exists in the first place.

The mere news of the Reapers would be more than enough to do this. It's not an idle solution they're practicing, but I can see why they're doing it.

EDIT: Or maybe it'll actually unite the galaxy. Who knows?

EDIT EDIT: Or maybe it'll be like China when Japan invaded, when it turned out, "Ha ha ha, we're not actually united against the foreign invader, we're going to keep killing eachother, no matter how horrible the outside invader is."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    a buddy linked me to this, and i loved it
    OJ2Qo.png

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Marvelous.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    According to the council the Geth followed Saren because he was a charismatic leader with an advanced ship like Sovvie and he pulled the wool over their eyes. Just like he did you Shepard.

They also say the Geth built Sovvie.

If this is 'wink wink nudge nudge' they REALLY suck at it.

• Options
    Well...Saren did have a lot of CHARISMA! that's why it takes like 10+ bars to persuade him.