Options

Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands now available!

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought I had it figured out with my double sword shrooming vampire. Took out an entire zoo. Died in the next room to some bastard called Mutmagon the Night's Root Vegetables. It was my fault. I should have known a name like that meant RUN AWAY.

I do wish there was someway to compare scores with all y'all. High score means shit if I'm the only one on the leaderboard.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Further cheapening the high score list is the fact that it's just a plaintext file in the My Games folder.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    I cannot stop playing this. It is absolutely amazing. And I am not taking vampirism again for a very long time.
    The crafting mechanic doesn't thrill me, but it might be nice in some later circumstances.

Now I have to see how effective a Not Drizzt build is.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I found vampirism very effective once you get the second skill. This was with an armor-heavy warrior build though, so different builds might not find it as useful.

EDIT: Just a warning, don't try and nest Horadric Lutefisk Cubes. Causes all kinds of fire exploding.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    If you go for unarmed combat, remember, it's kick based kungfu, meaning you should use both hands for shields.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    Unarmed characters should also remember that there's no reason you can't kick inanimate objects, too...

Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is nothing more awesome than a monster zoo next to a series of traps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PewnyPewny Registered User regular
    Account is finally fixed. This game is amazing. I don't think I've past 2700 score on normal yet. Can't stop playing.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote:
    If you go for unarmed combat, remember, it's kick based kungfu, meaning you should use both hands for shields.

This is excellent advice, thank you. Never would have thought of that.

Been playing an unarmed, dual-shield-wielding astrologist assassin with moderate success. Got a new high score of 6000ish...without even making it to the second floor yet.

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    83652 first try. Died on level 4 to a zoo and a monster moving in front of the stairs. I should have focused on moving it out of the way while i still had a bunch of potions and hand wands (they push stuff). Instead I opted to tough it out behind some doors, closing them when i needed a breather.

I attribute getting this far to making an unarmed archeologist dodging two shields using perceptive astrologist assassin. (good choice hatedinamerica) The astrology buff is great against the low level stuff and the hat you get from archeology stacks nicely with dodging. Being able to kick traps and monsters out of the way works really well in a pinch. And on top of that, you can burn all your early levels on unarmed and get some permanent damage buffs that don't only work on your feet but also on all ranged attacks and i think even the astrology retaliation halo thingy. I wonder if the fixed damage buff means you will get into trouble later though, or does it scale with levels?

Monsters not being faster than you and not following you through teleporters and stairs means you can usually survive if you are careful and keep your exits open.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Currently doing Unarmed, smithing, dodging, astrology, etc, etc power build.

Only level 3 and crushing it.

Uber powerful build engaged.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Archaeologist Assassin with Meatsmithing, Artful Dodger, Perception, Staves and Throwing.

After dying a fair few times to groups and mistaking traps for gold, I'm now doing pretty well, although I've only found one artifact worth using. The rest have ben converted into experience, which is my favourite skill.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Archaeologist Assassin with Meatsmithing, Artful Dodger, Perception, Staves and Throwing.

After dying a fair few times to groups and mistaking traps for gold, I'm now doing pretty well, although I've only found one artifact worth using. The rest have ben converted into experience, which is my favourite skill.

I was actually just wondering about that; I just tried Archeology for the first time and was wondering what constitutes an "artifact"?

Nothing I've tried so far has worked, but I've only just started this char.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They tend to have names like, "The X Y of Z", and are normally found in uber chests or after completing a sidequest. The Lutefisk God will grant them to you if you sacrifice enough Lutefisk.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got one of those cubes. now i have over 35 lutefisk for the lutefisk god. everything that i cant use quickly becomes the worlds largest chunk of phlegm

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    How do you open uber chests anyway? I've only found one but it just said "locked" even though I had lockpicks, so I assumed it was opened some other way...then I died before I could find out.

• Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    How do you open uber chests anyway? I've only found one but it just said "locked" even though I had lockpicks, so I assumed it was opened some other way...then I died before I could find out.

I'm pretty confident at this point that they're linked to levers elsewhere on the floor.

Also, monster zoos are terrible. I hate them so much. Tried a mechanic character as compromise, and I just couldn't stand it. Maybe I should just play a damn Viking Wizard.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to take out a zoo with anything other than a promethean wizard yet =/ sadly it's so easy for them too, you go "oh no a zoo...*fireball fireball fireball* welp that was some good xp, moving on"

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FFFFFFUUUUUU

unledrz.jpg

I actually cleared this thing with my unarmed, smithing, assassin guy here.

I fired off a Bolt of Mass Destruction and ran.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Finding your character is like a game of Where's Waldo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    It's good to keep a stock of acid and poison bolts around for the zoos. DoT and AoE is a hefty combination on so many enemies. And those drill bolts are killer for bosses. My second character (a beserker armor mace user, doing pretty well) died just now, 66000 something, again because I didn't account for an exit. I came out of a teleport thingy next to an enemy, couldn't push him away and was soon surrounded. Ran away right into the arms of some boss. Didn't really try and make a stand because it is getting late, I should have just saved and quit right there.

It takes a while before you get into those typical roguelike situations where you have to think on your feet, blast your wands, quaff your potions and run like the boggards. Most fights are pretty by the numbers fare and there is no time pressure due to the low spawning rate and no famine mechanic. Going down stairs sooner could be a way to speed things up but I don't know if it's worth it, like experience scaling wise. I could try speeding through on easy.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I teleported into a zoo and figued I was fucked. I went invisible to buy some time and realized I had a teleport potion on me. Gave it a shot and lucked out. Died anyway a couple minutes later.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ffffff my level 10 or so character just died because a random low level dungeon mob critted him for over half his health, when they were usually hitting him for so little damage it was barely noticeable =0 This game lulls me into thinking its easier than most roguelikes then hits me with shit like that

I also wasn't digging crafting much to begin with, but smithing is so awesome, every point increases strength and the weapons/armor you make with it are so much better than the stuff you find

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    Just discovered that not all recipes are made the same, based on your skill level. Smiths make more bars when they smelt, the higher level they are (default 2, then up to 3, don't know if it gets higher). Tinkerers make more and better bolts, too - I tested at tinker level 2 and made 7 iron bolts, then at level 3 made 10 BARBED iron bolts with the same recipe.

Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Took a glance through the directory and the options and saw nothing. Is there a way to tell the game, "I want to start with <skills>, on <difficulty> and called <name>"?

• Options
    Gaslamp has a twitter and they're pretty willing to help you out with tech stuff.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Tamin wrote:
    Took a glance through the directory and the options and saw nothing. Is there a way to tell the game, "I want to start with <skills>, on <difficulty> and called <name>"?

I seriously doubt they would implement something like that considering it takes all of 5 seconds to click through the difficulty screen, hit the start with last skill choices button mash in a random name (what do names matter when you're going to die permanently in under an hour anyway?) and hit go.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:

I seriously doubt they would implement something like that considering it takes all of 5 seconds to click through the difficulty screen, hit the start with last skill choices button mash in a random name (what do names matter when you're going to die permanently in under an hour anyway?) and hit go.

See, I wasn't seeing this option.

• Options
    What, last choice? The option to the left of random (has a ghost pointing over the protagonist's shoulders) will automatically choose the skills of your last dude.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I also wasn't digging crafting much to begin with, but smithing is so awesome, every point increases strength and the weapons/armor you make with it are so much better than the stuff you find

Smithing is amazing. I'm loving it. Have a AC of 52 right now using stuff i've crafted. Also, just crafting a Heroic item I found from a recipe. Cha-Ching.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is there a way to turn off the damn tutorial warning at the beginning of a new game?

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    mwoody wrote:
    Just discovered that not all recipes are made the same, based on your skill level. Smiths make more bars when they smelt, the higher level they are (default 2, then up to 3, don't know if it gets higher). Tinkerers make more and better bolts, too - I tested at tinker level 2 and made 7 iron bolts, then at level 3 made 10 BARBED iron bolts with the same recipe.

I found 'goggles of tinkering' in one run which gave 1 trap affinity, 1 trap perception, and 1 tinkering. I tested it and yes I could make the level 1 tinkering recipes with it put on (I didn't have the tinkering skill on that character). Now the question is, do the recipes that get improved by level extend past the natural maximum of the skill, are there hidden recipes that require more than the natural maximum?

Also, could they maybe put in a crafting line for lockpicks in tinkering? That'd be awesome.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Totally buying this. I fully expect to give up after the first couple days but what the hell, it's only a few bucks.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I...just discovered you could scroll down in the skills menu. THAT'S how I level up smithing. I'm retarded. Don't be like me kids.

I've been also rollingunarmed (didn't think to use two shields, so thanks for that!) and it's been going well. Vampirism is fun, but kinda tough if you get up against more difficult monsters too early.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Does dual wield work with unarmed to make it better?

• Options
    Unarmed is kick based, so dual wielding does nothing.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dude, are those monsters above talking shit at the player?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yea all monsters occasionally throw out a line insulting you.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I tried unarmed, but it ends up doing maybe 1/8 the damage I do with an iron sword, and I can usually craft one of them halfway through floor one, so even with an extra shield for more D unarmed just doesn't have enough oomph for me

• Options
    I tried unarmed, but it ends up doing maybe 1/8 the damage I do with an iron sword, and I can usually craft one of them halfway through floor one, so even with an extra shield for more D unarmed just doesn't have enough oomph for me

Combined with my heavy armor proficiency and crafted smithy armor i'm just so damn sturdy. It takes my 4 or so hits to kill most monsters in level 3 right now. Almost have it cleared. Almost ready for 4.

PNA1v.jpg