As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS price dropped $80 to $169 August 12. 20(?) Free games if purchased before.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    Nintendo not having a solid portable bedrock for their stationary enterprises is a big problem for them. Doesn't matter if they get a stronger position towards the Vita - their online is weak, they are attached to game prices from the pre-smartphone era, third parties are going to wait with commitment and now the profit margin is slashed nastily.

These kinds of price cuts can only be the result of sales figures catastrophically falling under projections.
    I think it's cute when you're trying to make educated guesses about variating subjects. Keep on fighting the good fight.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    their online is weak

This is basically just a meme at this point. There's one code per system, updates and new content download in the background and while the system's asleep, the store is faster and easier to use, online lobbies and such work fine, voice chat games are coming. About the only major thing it lacks is messaging.
    Absalon wrote:
    These kinds of price cuts can only be the result of sales figures catastrophically falling under projections.

It's already sold 4 million worldwide, about 700k in the US. It's trending above the original DS. This may still be under their expectations but it's not a failure.

and deliciously awful DRM also codes are awful even if one per system is certainly an improvement.
    Does it allow you to see friends who are online and/or what game they're playing?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The OP needs to be fixed - Yoshi's Island is Mario Advance 3, so there are 5 more GBA games that we don't know about yet. IGN fixed their article too.
    and deliciously awful DRM also codes are awful even if one per system is certainly an improvement.
    Does it allow you to see friends who are online and/or what game they're playing?

Yes. You see a yellow light flash that lets you know a friend is online, you can hit the home button to suspend a game, see who's on and what they're playing, and go right back to your game. You can't message them though as I said, which is something that ought to be fixed.

Awful DRM, though? Do you feel the same way about Steam? I realize "tied to the system" is worse than "tied to the account" but people generally aren't going to be using multiple 3DSs like they use multiple PCs. Nintendo has also traditionally transferred games over for people in case you buy a new one. DSi to 3DS transfer works and a 3DS tool is supposed to be coming eventually too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    So australia just went from "crazy ripoff price" to "mild ripoff price".

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't regret buying the 3DS at the full price. All these free games just makes it that much more awesome. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    There's no denying Nintendo's online is weak. Yes, with the 3DS they have gotten most of the features we have on Live or PSN, but the implementation is so fractured and confusing it's difficult to notice.

Example: On Xbox Live you make one account, with one avatar. Your profile follows you wherever you go, the Marketplace is the same one no matter what device you use, and so on.

With Nintendo, you've got the Wii Shop Channel, the DSi Store, the Nintendo 3DS eShop, different Virtual Console offerings on each for some reason (I think?), transferring purchases from the DSi is weird, friend codes are unique to each game on the Wii (except some games that ignore the system entirely) and DS/DSi but unique to the 3DS handheld, each device has it's own messaging system, your Mii's don't follow you anywhere but the games on that device, I don't even know if Wii Shop points even work on the other stores, there are different 'always connected' services under different brand names for each device (Wii Connect24, SpotPass, some other one I can't remember), notifications work on the Wii and 3DS but are differently implemented and I think they even use a different nomenclature and oh my god my brain hurts now.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Absalon wrote:
    Nintendo not having a solid portable bedrock for their stationary enterprises is a big problem for them. Doesn't matter if they get a stronger position towards the Vita - their online is weak, they are attached to game prices from the pre-smartphone era, third parties are going to wait with commitment and now the profit margin is slashed nastily.

I think it's cute when you're trying to make educated guesses about variating subjects. Keep on fighting the good fight.

These kinds of price cuts HAVE only been the result of catastrophic sales figures and sluggish starts that really worry the company behind the console. Saturn, XBox, PS3. Perhaps the 3DS is "different" somehow.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Awesome!

I was gonna buy the 3DS eventually anyway, but looks like that day might come sooner rather than later.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    The only thing that surprises me is that they are price dropping the 3DS before the holiday. I thought they would let that play out...but I guess not.

Free games are yay though.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They're not free games. They're $80 worth of games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular

They are free games. You aren't entitled to them just because you bought a 3DS when it was overpriced. If you bought a 3DS for $250, then you paid $250 for a 3DS.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

They are free games. You aren't entitled to them just because you bought a 3DS when it was overpriced. If you bought a 3DS for $250, then you paid $250 for a 3DS.

I'm not seeing the different other than semantics in wording.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is cool but, I still don't want one. :/

Edit: On the plus side, I'm really happy I bought a DSiXL

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I'm not seeing the different other than semantics in wording.

When you bought the 3DS at $250, you were willing to pay that price. Anything you get afterward is free and over and above what you were expecting.

We didn't initially know we were getting Excitebike 3D, Pokedex 3D, and Four Swords for free. The fact that we get them doesn't suddenly assign them a dollar amount and mean that we actually got the system for X dollars cheaper.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh shit I forgot about getting 4 swords. Also this news is fantastic for those on the fence about the thing. It was absolutely worth $250... At $170 it's a steal!

• Options
    I'm excited by this news because it might mean I'll be getting more street passes! :P

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well this is early, but I'd call it a smart move. I talk up my 3DS all the time to folks and I've honestly gotten more *looks* from using this thing than any other handheld I've had...people are always just impressed, and I know a few who went out and bought one because of it. But yeah, the adoption rate has been slow...streetpasses are rare, and it took a trip to Disney to even rack up the bulk of the 13 I have so far. That said, I love the unit and the five games are I have for it are stellar, on top of that when I bought the unit I had an $80 giftcard, then sold my DS Lite for about $70 off Ebay, so I don't feel ripped off at all.

Have to give Ninty credit for making good to early adopters by giving them free games...I don't think *anyone* else has done so thus far. My tip of the hat to them, and I look forward to picking mine. :P

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    I'm excited by this news because it might mean I'll be getting more street passes! :P

Not if all of the existing 3DS users are playing their free non-StreetPass capable GBA games!

• Options
    urahonky wrote:

Not if all of the existing 3DS users are playing their free non-StreetPass capable GBA games!

I think all the smart ones will exit their games and leave it on the home screen so you can jump into the Mii Plaza immediately. :P

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Deusfaux wrote:
    even with a dearth of good games I'd bite at that price, but I wouldn't bite at this model.

They have convinced me via history they'll be a better model out in a short enough time I can wait through. Hopefully by which time the games will exist as well.

This is pretty much my stance too. I'm still too attached to my XL and it's adult-sized screens.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    Chen wrote:
    Absalon wrote:

These kinds of price cuts HAVE only been the result of catastrophic sales figures and sluggish starts that really worry the company behind the console. Saturn, XBox, PS3. Perhaps the 3DS is "different" somehow.

You're not painting the whole picture. Price cuts affect profit margins, that much is obvious, but it also increases turnover. Those extra sales mean more systems in the hands of people, more market penetration, more software sales and more incentive for third parties to release games for the platform. Nintendo's likely done extensive research on how customers have reacted, what they want and how they can be reached. They've spent large amounts of money to market the device, but apparently that alone wasn't effective in selling the product. A price cut followed by word-of-mouth is apparently a better way to penetrate the market in their eyes. If they've come to that conclusion after months of market research, then who am I to say otherwise? Making wild guesses of Nintendo's sales expectations and comparisons to years-old devices from other companies certainly don't make a strong case.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Also, just because dropping the price now is the right move (if it is) doesn't mean that releasing it at $250 was wrong.

They may end up getting just as many sales as otherwise, but with a large portion of them selling at a higher price. That would be a success.

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    I was an early adopter, but the guy working the register made a mistake when ringing the 3DS up, so I only ended up paying around $120 for it.

Heh.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Well this has got me suddenly much more interested in the 3DS, especially after that solid holiday lineup they showed at E3. But what's up with the GBA games being exclusive?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    Well, I think the main problem with the 3DS online is that you can't open your friend list while you're online in a game. That's kind of a big one. If you could open your friend list while you're online, the general "messaging" (status) system they have now would actually be great for inviting people to play with you. Also, if people got a notification when someone changes their status message.

This is a stunning oversight combined with the lack of actual messaging. I was floored to see that in order to see my friends when I am online in SSFIV, I have to go offline, back up two menu steps, then open the 3DS menu to pull up a separate program for friends. The same with DoA when I tried it for a few days.

The sort of status update they have now is still worse than actually sending in-game invites, either cross-game or within the same game.

But whatevs. This price drop move is all kinds of crazy to wake up to! I am a little wrinkled by it, as the main reason I wanted to get a 3DS so early is because I figured there wouldn't be a price drop in a long time (and because I believed the hype of being worried about finding one at all, Wii-style), but it was ultimately a gift so I can't be mad at all. I hope we get to choose what VC games we get, but seeing as how rushed and scrambling the Ambassador program sounds, I'm going to assume not.

It's definitely a panic measure, but it's exciting to see handheld futures get interesting and compete on pricing. I hope this puts a shot in the arm of third-party devs and gets more projects going, though we won't be able to see that for a looooong time.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    -Tal wrote:
    Well this has got me suddenly much more interested in the 3DS, especially after that solid holiday lineup they showed at E3. But what's up with the GBA games being exclusive?

I'm sure it's a timed exclusive.

• Options
    Lunker wrote:
    Well, I think the main problem with the 3DS online is that you can't open your friend list while you're online in a game. That's kind of a big one. If you could open your friend list while you're online, the general "messaging" (status) system they have now would actually be great for inviting people to play with you. Also, if people got a notification when someone changes their status message.

This is a stunning oversight combined with the lack of actual messaging. I was floored to see that in order to see my friends when I am online in SSFIV, I have to go offline, back up two menu steps, then open the 3DS menu to pull up a separate program for friends. The same with DoA when I tried it for a few days.

The sort of status update they have now is still worse than actually sending in-game invites, either cross-game or within the same game.

But whatevs. This price drop move is all kinds of crazy to wake up to! I am a little wrinkled by it, as the main reason I wanted to get a 3DS so early is because I figured there wouldn't be a price drop in a long time (and because I believed the hype of being worried about finding one at all, Wii-style), but it was ultimately a gift so I can't be mad at all. I hope we get to choose what VC games we get, but seeing as how rushed and scrambling the Ambassador program sounds, I'm going to assume not.

It's definitely a panic measure, but it's exciting to see handheld futures get interesting and compete on pricing. I hope this puts a shot in the arm of third-party devs and gets more projects going, though we won't be able to see that for a looooong time.

They are giving us 10 GB games and 10 GBA games. I'm sure they'll be the best of the batch.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    With a price drop like that to near the DSiXL level, I think they're going to pull a GBA and won't be shipping anymore DSi/XLs in 2012.

• Options
    If anyone wants to guess what the last 5 GBA games are, here's a list of every GBA game Nintendo published:
    Metroid Fusion
    Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit
    WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Advance Wars
    F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
    Golden Sun
    Super Mario Advance
    Wario Land 4
    Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie
    Game & Watch Gallery 4
    Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
    Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
    Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
    Donkey Kong Country
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Fire Emblem
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
    Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
    Pokémon Sapphire
    Pokémon Ruby
    Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
    Sword of Mana
    Top Gear Rally
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    F-Zero GP Legend
    Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
    Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
    Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
    Mario Golf: Advance Tour
    Mario Pinball Land
    Metroid: Zero Mission
    Pokémon FireRed
    Pokémon LeafGreen
    DK: King of Swing
    Donkey Kong Country 3
    Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
    Dynasty Warriors Advance
    Final Fantasy IV Advance
    Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
    The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Mario Party Advance
    Mario Tennis: Power Tour
    Pokémon Emerald
    WarioWare: Twisted!
    Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
    Drill Dozer
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

Final Fantasy V Advance (Published by Nintendo in Europe and North America Only)
    Tales of Phantasia (Published by Nintendo outside Japan Only)
    Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (Australia Only)
    Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (Australia Only)
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (published by Nintendo in Europe & Australia Only)

F-Zero Climax (Japan only)
    Mother 1 + 2 (Japan only)
    Densetsu no Stafy 2 (Japan only)
    Densetsu no Stafy 3 (Japan only)
    Densetsu no Stafy (Japan only)
    Custom Robo GX (Japan only)
    Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi (Japan only)
    Magical Vacation (Japan only)
    Horse Racing Creating Derby (Japan only)
    Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays (Japan Only)
    Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
    Mother 3 (Japan Only)
    Boundish (Japan Only)
    Dialhex (Japan Only)
    Dotstream (Japan Only)
    Coloris (Japan Only)
    Orbital (Japan Only)
    Soundvoyager (Japan Only)
    Digidrive (Japan Only)

Personally I expect Minish Cap, a Kirby game, another Mario game like Pinball Land, and at least one good strategy game, either Advance Wars or Fire Emblem. I want Fire Emblem. We'll see!

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would laugh hysterically if it included Mother 3.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    I'm sure the world would implode if it's Mother 3.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Crossing my fingers for Link to the Past, but it probably won't happen. So I'll just have to download these free things from the store? Any idea when we'll get 'em?

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    The screen icon will say Mother 3, but then it'll just be the 3D classics Urban Champion.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Actually, I kind of hope it's a Pokemon game so I can see what all the fuss is about without having to pay for it.

So September 1, right?

• Options
    That list isn't complete becuse Nonono Puzzle Chalien isn't on it.

• Options
    -Tal wrote:

Ingenious plan:

Buy from a store with price protection shortly before the cutoff date. Register for 20 free games, get compensated for the price difference by the store.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    At $169.99, I don't feel bad asking for the 3DS for Christmas anymore. Perhaps by that time there will be some great games for it. I have no interest in the Zelda or Starfox remakes...I've played those games before.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Kirby, Advanced Wars, and Drill Dozer please.

Seriously though, I'm hugely stoked about this, as I'm getting a portable Yoshi's Island for free. Still twenty free games, that's a huge value for us with systems already! I can't wait for this.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    It is a bit of a stretch to imply sales are the sole reason for this price drop, Absalon. Their competition is coming out in a few months, having a price lower than a lot of people were expecting. Undercutting the Vita is likely an important move in the long term.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.