As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terraria V1.3! Now with 100% more Minecarts!

• Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    How do you get magic? And how do you pick a class? I can only start as some dude without any mana, but you guys seem to be able to pick a class. :*(

untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    There's no classes, it's all in what items you find and use. You get mana by saving up Fallen Stars and turning them into Mana Crystals, which increase your mana by 20 up to 200. Other sets of armor and robes increase your magic damage and mana, as well. Spells and such work just like a sword, but require mana to use. You find one in a chest somewhere, put it on your hotbar, and cast away.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't know what you guys are doing

I have tons of fantastic gear and I've beaten skeletron before it was nerfed, but I just can't beat this new version without being able to use potions more than once every minute

also, it'd be nice if the night's edge could have the ability to cause damage over time like the fiery greatsword and the blade of grass

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Make some of the buff potions, they help alot more than is immediately apparent. 8 defense from the iron skin one is crazy. Plus the regeneration potion is amazing.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    I don't know what you guys are doing

I have tons of fantastic gear and I've beaten skeletron before it was nerfed, but I just can't beat this new version without being able to use potions more than once every minute

also, it'd be nice if the night's edge could have the ability to cause damage over time like the fiery greatsword and the blade of grass
    If you have a high damage output then you can destroy his arms first and its a lot easier.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yes, not really.
    There are the pots, the books and some spells on shelves. Thought some of the chests were not locked. You can also gain keys to use on the floating island chests. No new bosses.

*edit* Whoops, distracted too long. In answer to @urahonkey questions...

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey, the game just patched for me. Anyone know what it's about?

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Hey, the game just patched for me. Anyone know what it's about?

This is what was planned but the actual patch notes in the news section should have better details.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ooohh, they added a sawmill. Now I can build a lumber house!

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Server now updated and restarted to run 1.0.6.1.

Edit: Looks like jungle trees now have little vines which hang down. Awesome touch!

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Alright then... Question:
    If I've gotten the Night's Bane sword, and wearing all Molten Armor. Killed Skeletor and went through the dungeon. Also went to hell and farmed out the shadow chests.

Is there anything else left to the game?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Is there anything else left to the game?
    In terms of item progression, there's also the Dark Lance, and spells like Demon Scythe that you can pick up for a different style of combat gameplay.

Beyond that, not for progression. You can build a castle/ship/tower/city if that's your thing.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Yeah I got the Dark Lance, the Fire Flower thing, and the Demon Scythe. All are awesome!

I'm kinda glad to be... Done with the game. I've seriously put 60+ hours into it in the past week and a half. :P

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Yeah I got the Dark Lance, the Fire Flower thing, and the Demon Scythe. All are awesome!

I'm kinda glad to be... Done with the game. I've seriously put 60+ hours into it in the past week and a half. :P

that wont last xP

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    At last! After several thousand bricks, I was finally able to finish my dinosaur.

It is now the guardian of the Pencade IV dungeon.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So I'm pretty sure I've basically beaten Terraria. I've beaten Skeletron, ransacked the dungeon (possibly not fully, but I can't be arsed to go back to it to see if I can find any paths that aren't torch-lined and thus already explored), deconstructed a building in the underworld that was made of hellstone bricks to import to the surface for the parts of my home base that I use (so mad that there isn't hellstone brick wall, had to make the back wall with red brick), and my NPCs all live in gold brick rooms. All that's really left to do is go around hunting down all the items I don't have yet.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    So, the right half of my world has... sagged. Some form of file corruption, I guess. Interestingly, it loads and plays just fine except that my Clothier is missing and hasn't come back. I only noticed the problem when I tried to use TerraFirma to find my Clothier. Here's a map created in MoreTerra, the only outside program that will render the world at all (TerraFirma and TEdit crash on loading it), notice that at the midpoint, 2 rows of Hell are drawn in the sky. That's the part that's corrupted, obviously. It's above the playable boundary of the world. No idea what to do about this... I'm a bit afraid that the world will become unplayably corrupted.

world1-1.png

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    are you using the latest version of the mappers? that's happened to me when I needed to update them

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I gifted this to a friend, and his initial response was: "It's fun! I don't understand anything, and I drowned chasing a rabbit." :D

Some progression questions:
    1) I've been boss farming and have mostly demonite equipment now. What is next, skeletron/dungeon, or underworld?

2) I haven't really done anything in the jungle, anything worth getting there?

3) Any tips for exploring the underworld? I didn't last too long when I went down there ...

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    are you using the latest version of the mappers? that's happened to me when I needed to update them

Thanks Nerdgasmic, that solved it! I hadn't even thought about whether the 1.0.6.1 update would make worlds incompatible with outside programs. What clinches is it that the place where MoreTerra shows the "sag" in my world coincides with the location of the new Sawmill I placed tonight. TEdit has a new version out already for 1.0.6.1 that loads the world correctly. Whew.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I gifted this to a friend, and his initial response was: "It's fun! I don't understand anything, and I drowned chasing a rabbit." :D

Some progression questions:
    1) I've been boss farming and have mostly demonite equipment now. What is next, skeletron/dungeon, or underworld?

2) I haven't really done anything in the jungle, anything worth getting there?

3) Any tips for exploring the underworld? I didn't last too long when I went down there ...

1) I'd suggest Hell or jungle next. See 2). But regardless, you're probably going to notice a big difficulty spike. Getting just enough hellstone and obsidian for molten armor and maybe the Fiery Greatsword would be a good first step.

2) Oh yes. It's tough though. Making the Blade of Grass and Ivy Whip should be your first priority there and shouldn't be too hard. Collect the glowing spore thingies and kill the Maneaters for vines (uncommon drop).

3) Make an Obsidian Skull first. Then go slow, building yourself a hellevator down to the ash floor. If you're lucky, your hellevator will be close to a good spot to dig down into the ash floor to mine for Hellstone. The lava created by the hellstone will require you to mine creatively. Make your Molten Armor and go on from there. If you want to explore horizontally, build over the tops of lava pits with ash or dirt so you have a nice walking path.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Excellent, thanks for the pointers!

• Options
    I'm getting that itch to restart a character... I need help.

• Options
    Mighty wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

that wont last xP

haha! Patch 1.7 will resell me the game.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is there a guide to hosting-and-playing in a multiplayer game somewhere? I tried to start one up the other day to show my brother the ropes, but he couldn't connect.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    So, the right half of my world has... sagged. Some form of file corruption, I guess. Interestingly, it loads and plays just fine except that my Clothier is missing and hasn't come back. I only noticed the problem when I tried to use TerraFirma to find my Clothier. Here's a map created in MoreTerra, the only outside program that will render the world at all (TerraFirma and TEdit crash on loading it), notice that at the midpoint, 2 rows of Hell are drawn in the sky. That's the part that's corrupted, obviously. It's above the playable boundary of the world. No idea what to do about this... I'm a bit afraid that the world will become unplayably corrupted.

world1-1.png
    It may be more than you want to know...

A horrible chill runs down your spine...

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    speaking of creepy things, does anyone else have a problem with the sky occasionally flashing a brown or yellow color

one time I even imagined that it was a face that flashed over the sky, I think it's some kind of glitch that's coming from my home being situated kind of close to a corrupted area

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    speaking of creepy things, does anyone else have a problem with the sky occasionally flashing a brown or yellow color

one time I even imagined that it was a face that flashed over the sky, I think it's some kind of glitch that's coming from my home being situated kind of close to a corrupted area
    This happens but only on one of my PCs. It's probably a glitch affecting certain video cards.

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    Arg. Does anyone have any advice for the new and improved Jungle with shooty hornets? I have a full shadow set (and meteor set that I'm not using) and I still can't make regular headway. The fact that you can't break the hornet shots with your weapon is brutal.

• Options
    rattletrap wrote:
    Arg. Does anyone have any advice for the new and improved Jungle with shooty hornets? I have a full shadow set (and meteor set that I'm not using) and I still can't make regular headway. The fact that you can't break the hornet shots with your weapon is brutal.
    are you taking too much damage, or what?

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    rattletrap wrote:
    are you taking too much damage, or what?

Yeah - I'll encounter a larger room with 3+ maneaters on the ground so if I jump down they'll devour me quick. While if I try to snipe them the hornets will pew pew me down in health real quick.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Yes, bring ranged weaponry or magic to the jungle and make sure you're positively bristling with ammo. Don't rely upon only melee, as that's asking to have your ass handed to you. Add torches everywhere, take out all the vines, and maximize the game window to prevent the ridiculous spawns from occurring right on top of you.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    Is there a guide to hosting-and-playing in a multiplayer game somewhere? I tried to start one up the other day to show my brother the ropes, but he couldn't connect.

The kids and I host and run games inside our lan with no problems. But we have to direct the port to the receiving computer from the router to get any external people.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Just went back to the jungle with full meteor gear and my spiffy new space gun. Much easier, though still pretty tough.

• Options
    grouch993 wrote:
    Elvenshae wrote:

The kids and I host and run games inside our lan with no problems. But we have to direct the port to the receiving computer from the router to get any external people.

Yeah for LANs you have to do something like: 192.168.1.100 or whatever their IP is, not the external IP.

• Options

world1-1.png

I sure hope that when things like this happen people are reporting it to the crew making the game, by the way.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:

world1-1.png

I sure hope that when things like this happen people are reporting it to the crew making the game, by the way.

it's a problem that they have no responsibility for

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

world1-1.png

it's a problem that they have no responsibility for

How do you know, exactly? There might be a bug that, as rare as it may be, causes this to happen. It's at least worth double-checking on. Right?

Edit - And just to clear it up now, nothing in this post or the one quoted above is me being like, "MAN FUCK THE DEVELOPERS" or anything. I'm saying throw them a bone, let them know when something goes wrong. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    did you read the posts after that one

the worldviewer programs always do that when there is an update and they haven't been updated yet

there was nothing actually wrong with his game

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    did you read the posts after that one

the worldviewer programs always do that when there is an update and they haven't been updated yet

there was nothing actually wrong with his game

Oh. My mistake.

This discussion has been closed.