As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rick Parry is [chat]

1575859606163»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I've never played 40k

but I've always liked the imperial guard the best

one reason is the (relative) lack of swords

because come on

Any sword worth swinging in 40k is either also a diamond tipped chainsaw or is sheathed in a powerfield that makes it basically a lightsaber.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also why the fuck are pell grants only for undergrads and prospective teachers

Because, thankfully, graduate and post-grad degrees aren't the new high school diploma, yet.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Okay, but this is Deus Ex.

It's

A

Video Game

can video games not be worthwhile experiences that reward persistence?

They can, but I'm cynical about the notion that it's worth it when there are so many quality video games that don't require it.

that's the case with every medium ever, Mori. there are things that are more accessible than other things. so what? if you want to have read moby dick, you have to put in the work to read moby dick.

if you feel that you have better things to do than to have read moby dick, or have played deus ex, or have watched a particular movie or listened to a particular album, nobody can say boo about that. it's your leisure time and your life. but if you're going "it's just a video game!" like that is the end-all and be-all of the argument - like it's not even possible that someone who makes the effort to connect with this older work could get anything out of it - then that's absurd.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abd, you have a lot to answer for. Successful Alcoholics depressed the shit out of me.

The only allegation I will answer to is if it is bad. I never said it would cheer you up.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    There are far too many 'things' in this world for me to waste my time grinding through the "boring part" of a game in order to get to the "fun part".

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've read Moby Dick; its first few chapters are a lot better than the intro of Deus Ex.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I've never played 40k

because come on

Any sword worth swinging in 40k is either also a diamond tipped chainsaw or is sheathed in a powerfield that makes it basically a lightsaber.

yeah but see the only reason lightsabers work is because everyone insists on shooting what can be blocked by them

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Some games are worth putting in the effort to meet halfway. Some aren't. Which are which are unique to the individual.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I've never played 40k

because come on

The swords mostly make sense in context.

There is an element of suspension of disbelief required with respect to the use of air power and orbital bombardment.

Basically you have to take it as read that a significant amount of conflict will be resolved by troops on the ground.

• Options
    japan wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I've never played 40k

because come on

The swords mostly make sense in context.

There is an element of suspension of disbelief required with respect to the use of air power and orbital bombardment.

Basically you have to take it as read that a significant amount of conflict will be resolved by troops on the ground.

Dark age of technology! *hand waving*

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Chanus all your posts in the Barack Obama thread are 100% correct.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    yep that's what chu's cock looks like

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:
    I've read Moby Dick; its first few chapters are a lot better than the intro of Deus Ex.

okay

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    also why the fuck are pell grants only for undergrads and prospective teachers

Because, thankfully, graduate and post-grad degrees aren't the new high school diploma, yet.
    Good luck getting a job in the political field without a master's degree at the least.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Okay, but this is Deus Ex.

It's

A

Video Game

can video games not be worthwhile experiences that reward persistence?

They can, but I'm cynical about the notion that it's worth it when there are so many quality video games that don't require it.

that's the case with every medium ever, Mori. there are things that are more accessible than other things. so what? if you want to have read moby dick, you have to put in the work to read moby dick.

if you feel that you have better things to do than to have read moby dick, or have played deus ex, or have watched a particular movie or listened to a particular album, nobody can say boo about that. it's your leisure time and your life. but if you're going "it's just a video game!" like that is the end-all and be-all of the argument - like it's not even possible that someone who makes the effort to connect with this older work could get anything out of it - then that's absurd.

I suppose it's a personal matter, then, or my ignorance on the subject truly is getting the better of me. I think there are lots of things that can build up a person's life and broaden their horizons in novel, useful, or creative ways. But I feel like a video game is never really going to be more than a video game. Maybe I've avoided the games that matter, as so many people have accused me of, but I don't really have anything in my experience that says video games are going to be anything other than 5 - 50 hours of crunching stats or dodging rockets.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    221514666_55WM5-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't think there has really been a game like Deus Ex since. In some ways it is kind of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 (which is also an awesome older game).

Weirdly Fallout 3 feels kind of similar, but isn't as open-ended in terms of the possible approaches to a given problem.

EDIT: Possibly Stalker, but I haven't played that

japan on
  • Options
    Chanus all your posts in the Barack Obama thread are 100% correct.

This is literally the first time anyone's said that about anything I've ever said.

I'd be worried :P

This discussion has been closed.