As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I guess Crysis got released on the PS3/360

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvetdagTLu0&feature=player_embedded

This is pretty cool, considering the only way I can get it to run at a playable framerate on my grumpy old man of a PC is to make it look like this
Crysis2011-09-0321-56-35-30-1.jpg
(For posterity, Crysis maxed at 1440x900 gives me between three and five fps)

It'll be 1,600 Microsoft funbux on XBLA and $20 in actual grownup money on the PSN. Singleplayer only, download only, and will support stereoscopic 3D, if that's your bag.

So, does this mean PC gaming is finally dead? Is the PS3 version going to look like jaggedy ass? What is NASA going to do with all of the supercomputers they used to use to play Crysis on?

So many questions.

SmokeStacks on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    This sounds like a cool thing. Prepare for hate.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Crysis 2 started off cool, and got dumb.

I assume Crysis is similar. Not terribly interested.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    I've never accepted Crysis as the poster-child for PC gaming. Even if it was, I couldn't care less if it comes to console. If console players want it, let them have it; I'll be enjoying my abundance of excellent indie titles and older games kept alive by dedicated communities. That's what's made PC gaming so rewarding for me, not technical wankery.

Maybe I'm being a little unfair, but I've never gotten into the hype, I guess.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

I dunno, from what I've heard, it ends "cool".

I still have to play through it.

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    M_W, have you actually played the game? I like it because it leverages some of the technical wankery to make a generally different experience to many other games. It's a very good shooter foremost and very pretty second to me. Glad I'll be able to pick it up and play it at a decent clip.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    "2007: PC gaming is changed forever..."

Oh my. Someone's head is full of hot air.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    I actually gave Crysis a chance, and its more than just a tech demo. Its a legitimately open ended shooter that's really fun. I can count the number of shooters I've enjoyed in the last few years on one hand, so take that as praise.

But yes, fuck Aliens.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:
    Pretty funny, coming from people who claimed Crysis bombed terribly due to piracy. Maybe it changed the world of P2P.

• Options
    For a while the cool thing for a PC developer to do was blame piracy for poor numbers. In Crysis' case I'm pretty sure the biggest reason it didn't sell very well was because people had the notion that it wouldn't run on their machines, even though the engine is incredibly scalable.

Blaming low sales for Crysis on piracy is pretty ridiculous when you consider it's moved around 3 million copies, which is a shitload in the industry.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

I dunno, from what I've heard, it ends "cool".

I still have to play through it.

Crysis has a third act collapse on par with Far Cry. Everything up to that point is really good, though.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    So now will games journalism have to admit that the game isn't just pretty graphics and actually has loads of interesting and fun gameplay systems and plays really well? That seemed to be the line they all used in the past to dismiss the game "bah, it's just shiny, there's no reason to play it beyond graphics"

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I gotten extremely bored with Crysis.

I mean, I'm this bad ass nano-suited dude of awesomeness. Yet, it takes 90 bullets to the head to kill anybody. So All I ever end up doing is stun-ramming people and picking up people and throwing them to their death. That, and I always get mega-bored towards the part with the aliens. I never actually seen a bloody alien yet.

I should really sit down and force myself to play this from start to finish.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    So now will games journalism have to admit that the game isn't just pretty graphics and actually has loads of interesting and fun gameplay systems and plays really well? That seemed to be the line they all used in the past to dismiss the game "bah, it's just shiny, there's no reason to play it beyond graphics"

Pft. You mean to say this game wasn't just a showpiece for PC graphics whores to stroke their e-penor? Besides, the graphics aren't that great because sites like Gamespy and Gametrailers said Call of Duty 4 had the best graphics of 07 (IIRC, Crysis wasn't even in the running for best graphics in the latter), so it must be overraaaaaaaaaaaa--

Seriously though, I wonder why this is now just getting play. It releases in a month? Conveniently disregarding the four year gap between the PC version, that's pretty abrupt from announcement to launch.

• Options
    It was rated by the ESRB for the PS3 and 360 back in June I guess, but either no one picked up on it or no one cared.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote:
    -SPI- wrote:

Pft. You mean to say this game wasn't just a showpiece for PC graphics whores to stroke their e-penor? Besides, the graphics aren't that great because sites like Gamespy and Gametrailers said Call of Duty 4 had the best graphics of 07 (IIRC, Crysis wasn't even in the running for best graphics in the latter), so it must be overraaaaaaaaaaaa--

Seriously though, I wonder why this is now just getting play. It releases in a month? Conveniently disregarding the four year gap between the PC version, that's pretty abrupt from announcement to launch.

I guess because they can, and when it releases you know that a whole bunch of people will pick it up. If they've been able to run it off cheaply, can't blame them for taking some free money.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Yet, it takes 90 bullets to the head to kill anybody..

If you miss with every shot, sure.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    after how bad crysis 2 was, my body is ready for the real predator simulation

• Options
    And people are posting comparison shots. That didn't take long.

From the video:

unledwan.jpg

The same area, on a PC, maxed:

crysis2011090912510250.jpg

• Options
    Oh well then I should probably just go kill myself.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    Well.

That sucks big floppy donkey dong.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    That sure is a funny way to "remaster" a game.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well, who needs all that foliage anyway. It's harder to aim because it gets in the way!

• Options
    The console shot doesn't look particularly bad (especially when you consider it's pulled from a compressed video), it just looks different without all of that foliage. The bright side is that you'll be able to see more of the environment, which means you'll be able to see enemies sooner.

I think the main thing to concentrate on is that you can still throw Koreans in the console version.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The console shot doesn't look particularly bad (especially when you consider it's pulled from a compressed video), it just looks different without all of that foliage. The bright side is that you'll be able to see more of the environment, which means you'll be able to see enemies sooner.

I think the main thing to concentrate on is that you can still throw Koreans in the console version.

The downside: you can't lie prone next to a road in said foliage, waiting for a patrol to go by so you can sneak out, and headshot all four of them before they have a chance to react.

• Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular

That's not a bright side at all; a big part of Crysis' appeal was the way the dense foliage affected tactics - yours and the enemies' both.

• Options
    I can't wait for all the new console players to pop the game in and in unison start complaining about how you can't use the Cloak for more then 5 seconds before draining.

You know it's going to happen.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote:

It gets better.
    "We are extremely proud of what we were able to accomplish with Crysis," said Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek. "We set out to create a next generation FPS and delivered a PC experience that became a benchmark for quality -- and still is for many gamers even four years later. By bringing the single player campaign to console, we believe we are again setting a new standard for quality in downloadable gaming."

OP was updated to include more info - It'll be singleplayer only, downloadable only, will be $20, and will support 3DTVs.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Didn't they mention that they're re-tweaking the suit abilities?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:

The downside: you can't lie prone next to a road in said foliage, waiting for a patrol to go by so you can sneak out, and headshot all four of them before they have a chance to react.
    Prone wasn't even on the controller layout!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Half the reason the graphics were impressive was because of all the environmental shit like the foliage and whatnot made it feel like a real jungle.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:

It gets better.
    "We are extremely proud of what we were able to accomplish with Crysis," said Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek. "We set out to create a next generation FPS and delivered a PC experience that became a benchmark for quality -- and still is for many gamers even four years later. By bringing the single player campaign to console, we believe we are again setting a new standard for quality in downloadable gaming."

OP was updated to include more info - It'll be singleplayer only, downloadable only, will be $20, and will support 3DTVs.

All full of shit quotes aside, $20 isn't bad at all to be honest, and while it will matter to someone who has played the PC version, the loss of foliage and stuff won't matter to someone who only really plays console games and never knew the difference.

But honestly, at least from the video, the port actually does look pretty good, and $20 is a pretty nice price considering its single-player only.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Crysis 1 and expansion bundle was like five dollars on Steam for a while.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    The Crysis 1 and expansion bundle was like five dollars on Steam for a while.

Right, but I'm not talking about nice price for someone with the desire and capability to play it on the PC. I'm just talking about console-only people, of which there are a lot. We're not really representative of the general populace; were a pretty narrow self selected subset of one type of gamer.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Crysis more than I expected to. I played as a sneaky assassin and enjoyed it, but had a ton of fun with it when I set the game to easy and treated it like a Predator sim. Warhead was great as well.

And I thought Crysis was already ported to the PS3?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    As someone with a laptop that runs Crysis at like 20 fps on medium, this is gonna be a must buy for me.

• Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:

Did you watch the trailer? That was literally the only place I didn't see foliage. I'm almost convinced the hummers themselves are nothing but compressed foliage.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Really curious how people react to the lack of multiplayer on the console version (from what I've read, anyways). Most poeple don't seem to care and I guess that's understandable since it wasn't something outstanding, but it was pretty solid, had vehicles and big maps.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Crysis has never been about multiplayer.

Crysis is about benchmarking.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Crysis has never been about multiplayer.

Crysis is about benchmarking.

That's why I said it wasn't something outstanding or groundbreaking.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Crysis was an incredible shooter for the first...2/3rds? Warhead was also really solid. If the last 3rd of Crysis was as good as the first 2/3rds, their quotes would absolutely hold true.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png