Options

So I guess Crysis got released on the PS3/360

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ohhhhh

I thought tagging them would keep them outlined on my HUD, didn't bother to see if they showed up on the mini-map :rotate:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    holy crap this game rules. first thing i did was kill a man with a turtle, then sprinted through a minefield as all the mines went off behind me. and THEN i jumped over a tank and blew it up with a rocket launcher.
    and this was in the first hour.

one thing, if more than one explosion goes off it ch-ch-chugs. other than that this is one sexy game.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    A simple fix I would've liked to see for all the people who complained regular movement was so slow: Implement the kind of sprinting style like in Borderlands where just quickly clicking the stick in would cause you to sprint, while holding it enters speed mode. Makes more sense, and it allows you to move faster without having to worry about unnecessary energy drain. Other than that, the controls work really great for the consoles.

And yes, the sheer amount of awesome stuff you can do off the cuff is really what makes this game. Best superhuman action experience I've had since Crackdown, and that includes stuff like Prototype where you had way more crazy stuff at your disposal. Maybe it's because everything's so slick and tight.

• Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Just got this game and it's pretty awesome, I love the open world feel to it compared to crysis 2. I get the feeling i'm supposed to be stealthy but it's just to tempting to just take a jeep/boat and ride up the bad guys and wreck there shit. Are there any rewards to be stealthy, like seeing bad guys taking a piss or drinking some beer before I choke em? Maybe I can catch two of them playing cards and tell the other if he should fold/bet it all, alright maybe i'm reaching a bit to far here.

• Options
    being stealthy works well for areas dense with enemies, but nothing beats grabbing a guard by the neck and hucking him into the ocean

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Does this game have Legacy sticks? I'd check myself but lol no demo for GoD games

• Options
    it has legacy and legacy lefty
    actually quite a bit of customization options in there

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Cool thanks, I'll pick this up then

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Ohhhhh

I thought tagging them would keep them outlined on my HUD, didn't bother to see if they showed up on the mini-map :rotate:

You do get them outlined on your HUD on Normal or Easy difficulty.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Tridus1x wrote:
    Just got this game and it's pretty awesome, I love the open world feel to it compared to crysis 2. I get the feeling i'm supposed to be stealthy but it's just to tempting to just take a jeep/boat and ride up the bad guys and wreck there shit. Are there any rewards to be stealthy, like seeing bad guys taking a piss or drinking some beer before I choke em? Maybe I can catch two of them playing cards and tell the other if he should fold/bet it all, alright maybe i'm reaching a bit to far here.

Nah, you're only supposed to be stealthy if you enjoy being stealthy; some people don't understand that and then complain that the game's boring, after spending most of their time hiding in a bush waiting for their energy to go back up. I don't remember there being any artificial rewards for stealth, either, so I don't think you'd be missing anything.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Legacy? I mean... people still use that?

But, why?

It's 2011.

You can't be serious. Are you punking the thread? Is Ashton Kutcher going to pop out and say "Gotcha!" or something?

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Quake Matt wrote:
    Tridus1x wrote:

Nah, you're only supposed to be stealthy if you enjoy being stealthy; some people don't understand that and then complain that the game's boring, after spending most of their time hiding in a bush waiting for their energy to go back up. I don't remember there being any artificial rewards for stealth, either, so I don't think you'd be missing anything.

Yeah the primary reward for playing the game the way you want is being able to have fun with the game the way you want. It's why the game worked so well.

Well, at least until the aliens show up, then it becomes a lot more direct and linear. I never really disliked those final sections as such, but it's true that the gameplay lost a lot of its unique substance as a result.

• Options
    whoa dude spoilers
    j/k

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    CryTek has a real hard-on for inexplicable otherworldly shit, to the detriment of their games. I'm not really sure why.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the later parts. There's some truly amazing set-pieces in there and lots of eye candy.

Also, don't think you're 'doing it wrong' by not being stealthy. There is no 'doing it wrong' in this game which is what makes it so fantastic.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    You're only doing it wrong in the sense that you're making the game a lot more difficult for yourself. Nomad can't take many hits, even on Normal difficulty. And Armor mode has been nerfed a bit.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Legacy? I mean... people still use that?

But, why?

It's 2011.

You can't be serious. Are you punking the thread? Is Ashton Kutcher going to pop out and say "Gotcha!" or something?

Due to a tragic Mario Party accident, Fyrewolf is permanently fused to an N64 controller.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    One thing I will say is that from the footage I've seen, I'm almost certain they've tweaked the lighting / atmospheric settings of the levels from the PC version. Leaving aside the technicals, the daylight "look" of the default maps seems to have been changed to actually look like something closer to Natural mod as a result than what it originally did.

For those that don't know, basically in Crysis it's fairly easy (via the editor) to edit how the daylight and night time lighting of the game looks in general by altering various settings for atmospheric effects. In the default game these actually often looked fairly bland (often more grey / overcast instead of brighter and sunnier in the mod), so someone took the time to tweak the settings for all the levels to make them look more natural, and the whole thing looked a lot more epic as a result. Since all these calculations were already being done by the game anyway this meant you could have a massive visual change for little to no performance hit. And that's basically what the Natural mod did.

I'm guessing the folks at Crytek also agreed that their initial implementation didn't really do the game levels justice either.

subedii on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Quake Matt wrote:
    It also acted realistically and didn't automagically know where you were at all times (unlike the AI in Crysis 2), which was key to making the predator-approach viable.
    The worst part of this was that there were people complaining that the AI not being psychic meant it was bad. I wanted to strangle those people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy shit, Crysis is an awesome game. I just got an achievement for killing an enemy 200 meters away... by sniping a chopper with my tank.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So, incase anyone needs additional proof about the whole "DRM" thing. Since central Florida got slammed this whole weekend by a ninja hurricane, ive lost my backyard fence, a chain link fence, rain gutters and most importantly my cable. I cant connect to XBL, and I can still play Crysis :^:

Protip: Dont stand directly underneath the helicopter you're shooting down...

• Options
    I guess a lie really can make it halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    So, incase anyone needs additional proof about the whole "DRM" thing. Since central Florida got slammed this whole weekend by a ninja hurricane, ive lost my backyard fence, a chain link fence, rain gutters and most importantly my cable. I cant connect to XBL, and I can still play Crysis :^:

Protip: Dont stand directly underneath the helicopter you're shooting down...

There was never any need for any proof

This whole "can't play it offline unless on the original box it was sold on" thing is for every single XBLA/Games on Demand title

It has been for years and years

• Options
    The original article implied that you couldn't play it unless you were online period, even on the system that purchased the game.

• Options
    Then that article was a lie and people should have known it from the start

Microsoft's terms most likely can't be circumvented by bullshit, otherwise Capcom would have done their thing where applicable that they've done on PS3

• Options
    Microsoft has bent their own rules for EA numerous times in the past.

• Options
    What, shutting down online play on older titles?

• Options
    Just finished the console version on Hard. Now going back and replaying on Delta.

One key observation I came away with this time is that the submachine gun is really underrated. I stayed away from the thing when I played through the PC version and I dunno why. Crytek even removed it and replaced it with the AY69 SMG in the pistol slot for the Warhead expansion. However, I've found that it's actually a worthy weapon for the two main weapon slots. The way they've designed it makes it about as good or better then the regular assault rifles. You've got absolutely no bullet drop in the game, which means the SMG with a Sniper Scope attached is just as accurate as the FY71. Just switch to single shot, aim for headshots, and you'll get the same outstanding results. It's got a larger magazine and ammo capacity, which is always a nice attribute. There's much less recoil then a full size rifle, which means better accuracy on full auto mode. And really, when I shot the thing, Korean soldiers seemed to drop in about 3-4 hits, which is approximately the same amount you'd need to kill them with the FY71, give or take a bullet. It's kinda astounding, but the SMG's rounds are really just about as strong as the rifle rounds. So it's all upside, and no downside. I dunno why they made such an unbalanced weapon, but it's quite handy to have.

Of the three protagonists we've helmed in the Crysis games, I'd still have to say that Psycho is the best character of them all. Nomad in Crysis really strikes me as this sort of Master Chief-esque character, in that he's basically got no personality, but they still give him a few lines here and there to remind you that he's not a complete mute. Alcatraz, now he's the mute. Nothing there. Nomad still has some things on his mind he needs to get off his chest, and he speaks with this rather masculine curt voice, same as Master Chief. But honestly, there's nothing really there. All he ever says in the game is various exclamatory statements along the lines of, "Holy shit, what the hell was that thing?" "Oh My God!" "We gotta get outta here!" "Goddamn, what happened?" "Christ, that was insane!" "What was that?" "I dunno what that was, but it was crazy!" "God, that thing's huge!"

Just a lot of pronouncements about how fucked up everything is. Which is understandable and all, but it doesn't really show much of his actual personality. Now Psycho, he's got a colorful personality. You get a bit of his attitude and it's jovial and sarcastic in that delightful winsome British manner, but never ventures into the idiotic realm like a Gears of War character, where it goes over the top and you can't believe what you're hearing. You get a real sense for what Psycho is all about and he comes alive as a character in his own right, and not just a player avatar. Alcatraz is a player avatar, and Nomad is a player avatar who spouts lines when scary things happen, but Psycho has enough there that you could believe he was a real person (who might have some screws loose).

Now, I do feel like I owe a bit of an apology to Crytek. When Crysis 2 first came out, I got on their ass for putting in respawning enemies in certain spots of that campaign. I even took a video of the phenomenon, because it was so blatant and offputting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XC3JLZsbk

However, it occurred to me that while playing through Crysis, it always seemed like the large North Korean bases had similar spawning of enemies, only I never managed to spot them red-handed. And replaying through this console version, I've figured out that yes, they do spawn in enemy soldiers. It's not as blatant as the Crysis 2 example, but there are times when you'll spot two soldiers patrolling, take them both out with silenced weapons, and immediately crawl back under cover. This is a technique I use often. However, while recharging the battery under cover, I'll suddenly notice that now 4 yellow arrows have suddenly appeared right about ten feet away from my location. Just out of the blue, they'll pop up, and in close proximity. Were these just reinforcements that got lucky and happened to rush over? Maybe, but when this sorta scenario continuously happens over and over again, in close succession, you start to get the feeling that the game is just spawning them in right around you.

Another example is the Korean checkpoint in the excavation site right outside the entrance to the Alien Mountain. Outside this entrance is about three or four machine gun sandbag emplacements. Now, you can stop at the very edge of the top of the excavation site and peer down into the defenses with a Sniper Scope on 10X. I did so, out of an abundance of caution, and noticed that only one of the machine guns was manned. I sniped him and found nobody else, so I went down. However, when you actually approach the sandbags yourself, you'll suddenly find that actually, all the machine guns are manned, along with about two other patrolling Korean soldiers. Now, is it possible that all these Korean soldiers were just hiding in some rec room while I was sniping that one lone gunner, and somehow all stormed out and manned their posts when I approached? Yes, that's possible, but the much more likely explanation is that the game spawned them all in when I got near and tripped some invisible script. I find this sort of thing unfair simply because if they'd all been in real, physical space the whole time, I could've simply sniped them while I was up above with a sniper scope, which would've been a valid and prudent tactic. Crysis's credo is to allow you to tackle scenarios any way you choose, but in this situation it didn't.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    What, shutting down online play on older titles?

- Letting EA use their own servers in the first place instead of peer to peer, which they wanted specifically so that they could shut down servers on older titles.

- Upping Live's price by $10 and giving a portion of this to Activision after they threatened to monetize cowadootie multiplayer.

- Monetizing cowadootie multiplayer anyway.

That sort of thing. It's nowhere near unbelievable that EA (being a large company) would institute a new form of DRM on Live.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    The Gauss Rifle is pretty boss, was the microwave thing exclusive to Crysis 2, or can I expect to find one later in Crysis?

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    The Gauss Rifle is pretty boss, was the microwave thing exclusive to Crysis 2, or can I expect to find one later in Crysis?

Nope, only Crysis 2.

• Options
    Nuts, i get the feeling ill be fighting aliens soon, and sploding their heads was satisfying.

I did just get a minigun though :D

• Options
    Well... I was enjoying Crysis alot until this bullshit zero G crap...

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Really? That was one of the most enjoyable parts of the entire game. It's like a vehicle section, except in a space ship. And you're the space ship. And you have a shotgun. And there are aliens. The aliens are also naked and glowing. It's the best vehicle section in any FPS to date.

The only complaint I could imagine is that somehow you're getting lost, you get motion sickness or you just don't like shooting naked, glowing aliens in cool, unique settings with explosive rounds.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Well, my main issue is these aliens zip zooming around, supremely more agile than me. They laugh off my point blank shotgun blasts and two shot me, even with maximum armor.

The zero G thing is cool I guess, its the aliens that are bullshit

• Options
    i'm playing on hard and breezed that section by dying once
    and it was because i climbed into the explosion tube thingy by accident

you must be bad at games :P

• Options
    The worst

• Options
    edited October 2011
    The alien ship part does suck, but here's a tip: Use your shotgun with more skill. A direct hit at close range will kill them on any difficulty. Don't even bother with the reflex sight, just shoot it from the hip with the laser sight.

There's also incendiary ammo magazines spread around the level if you want to try the FY71.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    you can also camo and run away, just like most of the game

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got to the ship, and the squiddles don't seem that hard to deal with if you hit 'em with something potent like a shotgun blast. They kind of just shrug off small caliber fire. I do like the zero-G aspect, but it's real easy to get lost. Shame I didn't find the laser sight until just beforehand; it's a nice accessory.