As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] For the Love of God Do Not Buy Space Siege

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Steam wont take my money =( It keeps saying i have insufficient funds, but i have plenty of funds. I even just checked 5 minutes ago, but it still says insufficient.

Oh..im like 20 cents short on my pre-paid...seriously? stupid conversion rate. Apparently $17 USD is just over $18 CAN. I went and put $18 in just to grab Fable III and i was off on the conversion by mere pennies, thats frustrating.

I think you've got that reversed. The US dollar is worth less than CDN right now.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Steam wont take my money =( It keeps saying i have insufficient funds, but i have plenty of funds. I even just checked 5 minutes ago, but it still says insufficient.

Oh..im like 20 cents short on my pre-paid...seriously? stupid conversion rate. Apparently $17 USD is just over $18 CAN. I went and put $18 in just to grab Fable III and i was off on the conversion by mere pennies, thats frustrating.

I think you've got that reversed. The US dollar is worth less than CDN right now.

Er, 17 USD is 17.65 CAD. Come on, google is your friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    So I just added SpaceChem to my growling steam library from the last humble indie bundle.

I had to drop out of Chemistry in high school because I was barely getting a C. Will I suck at this game?

Wait, they let you drop classes in high school?

Wow.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    So I just added SpaceChem to my growling steam library from the last humble indie bundle.

I had to drop out of Chemistry in high school because I was barely getting a C. Will I suck at this game?

Wait, they let you drop classes in high school?

Wow.

Yeah. You needed 3 years of Science, so I just took Environmental Science my senior year. So much easier.

Anyway, how bad will I suck at this game? Or is it not real science?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    It's not real science, but you will still suck. It's one of the hardest puzzle games I've played in recent memory.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I think I beat the first puzzle by luck.

Now my molecules keep colliding.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It is real science, but not chemistry. It's computer science. Parallel I/O programming in a visual programming language. First you get something that works, then you start optimizing for space and speed. If you finish this game without looking at a guide you can call yourself a real programmer.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

Er, 17 USD is 17.65 CAD. Come on, google is your friend.

Erm, we were both right. I was misreading what he said.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Spacechem is pretty fun, I got to the 3rd planet now, the element added in the boss stage will add a lot later on I imagine.

The level with CH4 and N2 into HCN and H2 was tough, I had CH4 into CH and H but I didn't unload all 3 H in the same spot at first. Had to use both red and blue tracks to get em all in the same space.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Just pulled @initiatefailure out of the hat so he just got my Batman: Arkham City code! He chose Heart of Hush, which is a really good, underappreciated book. Paul Dini's work took off brilliantly from Loeb's origin of Hush. Everyone should read it.

For the record, no one picked my favorite Batman book, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. I'm a little bummed, but not surprised. Still, I think you should all go read it. Especially fitting since so much was borrowed from it for the first Arkham Asylum game. Grant Morrison is one of the 5 people who can write Batman stories anytime they like, in my book, and the artwork is absolutely beautiful-weird.

Once again I should point out that Minor Incident is not only very classy but also very batman.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    so, Universe Sandbox

the name sounds intriguing, is it good?

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, downloaded Fable 3 and out a few hours into it, impressions:

-I've never had any issues with GFWL so getting the DLC to work and my account hooked up went smoothly.
    -That said, the actual game is pretty poorly optimized. And looks really bad unless you do some tinkering.
    -I dropped the graphics down a bit and kept playing and while I had some slowdown it wasn't game breaking.
    -However, after a bit I quit, did some searching and some easy tweaking and the game looks better and runs decently better as well. It does like to heat my laptop up though.
    -Also switched from a mouse to a 360 controller. Much better after that too.
    -It's a fun little game. It's more of Fable 2. I really enjoy the aesthetic and combat is fun. I also enjoy buying everything and fiddling around with the game's mechanics so I'll probably get my money's worth out of this one.

Basically, if you're on the fence about it, if you liked the previous Fable games and want more you can't go wrong. But you may have to do some .ini tweaking to get it to run like you'd like, and not look like ass.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So far, at like four hours into Fable III, I'm enjoying it. I don't know if we're all looking at the same game, but I'm finding it entertaining. I mean, I haven't found it a total shitfest like Mirror's Edge or The Path or anything. Maybe it does get worse as the it progresses.

heh, were you the guy who couldn't get past the tutorial?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I mean, I haven't found it a total shitfest like Mirror's Edge.

I'm really confused now...

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    so, Universe Sandbox

the name sounds intriguing, is it good?

Yes, very. It's not really a game, though. More a fun universe editor/simulator. You can play with a bunch of preset sims (Milky Way, Racked Pool Balls, Death Star and Endor, Voyager I and Saturn + Moons in 1980, etc) or you can open an empty universe and fill it with what you want. You can fix physical properties of objects, so if you want a Neptune with half the mass in a close orbit around the Monolith from 2001 that has a mass equivalent to 5 suns then you can do that. There's a dedicated button to explode objects, another to turn them into black holes. Or you can crash stuff into other stuff. Or turn a star into a black hole, explode it, and watch everything orbiting it jettison off into space.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    Giant bomb did a quick look back when Universe Sandbox came out.

I've been pretty interested in this for awhile and I suspect there's a lot more cool stuff that Jeff didn't show. I know a good amount of people here picked it up and said good things when it was released

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So out of sheer morbid curiosity I decided to check out the Dungeons Steam forum to see how the sequel/"stand alone expansion" was being received, and there's a thread in which a user claims to be one of the programmers. What begins as him answering a few questions about what is new almost immediately turns into him meekly trying to defend the product. It's pretty ugly.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I love how Dungeon Defenders was $10 for a preorder at every site til OMD came out and started charging $15 for a similar, SP only game.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote:
    So, downloaded Fable 3 and out a few hours into it, impressions:

-I've never had any issues with GFWL so getting the DLC to work and my account hooked up went smoothly.
    -That said, the actual game is pretty poorly optimized. And looks really bad unless you do some tinkering.
    -I dropped the graphics down a bit and kept playing and while I had some slowdown it wasn't game breaking.
    -However, after a bit I quit, did some searching and some easy tweaking and the game looks better and runs decently better as well. It does like to heat my laptop up though.
    -Also switched from a mouse to a 360 controller. Much better after that too.
    -It's a fun little game. It's more of Fable 2. I really enjoy the aesthetic and combat is fun. I also enjoy buying everything and fiddling around with the game's mechanics so I'll probably get my money's worth out of this one.

Basically, if you're on the fence about it, if you liked the previous Fable games and want more you can't go wrong. But you may have to do some .ini tweaking to get it to run like you'd like, and not look like ass.

Turn v-sync off. Game ran like shit until I turned it off, then I could jack the resolution and settings up.

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    So out of sheer morbid curiosity I decided to check out the Dungeons Steam forum to see how the sequel/"stand alone expansion" was being received, and there's a thread in which a user claims to be one of the programmers. What begins as him answering a few questions about what is new almost immediately turns into him meekly trying to defend the product. It's pretty ugly.

Speaking of meekly trying to defend a product, are there any FAQs out there for Blood Bowl: Legendary edition? Where should I go for help? There's nothing on Gamefaqs. And why aren't there any cheats? Having to train up all my players is ugh

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So far, at like four hours into Fable III, I'm enjoying it. I don't know if we're all looking at the same game, but I'm finding it entertaining. I mean, I haven't found it a total shitfest like Mirror's Edge or The Path or anything. Maybe it does get worse as the it progresses.

heh, were you the guy who couldn't get past the tutorial?

It wasn't the tutorial, it was the pipe in the first level.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And to be fair, that pipe is significantly more wonky than all the other pipes in the game. Except for that one cutscene QTE

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    Fleck0 wrote:
    Giant bomb did a quick look back when Universe Sandbox came out.

I've been pretty interested in this for awhile and I suspect there's a lot more cool stuff that Jeff didn't show. I know a good amount of people here picked it up and said good things when it was released

I've heard tell that it gets boring very quickly.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:

Speaking of meekly trying to defend a product, are there any FAQs out there for Blood Bowl: Legendary edition? Where should I go for help? There's nothing on Gamefaqs. And why aren't there any cheats? Having to train up all my players is ugh

There is a pdf in the install directory

Read it start to finish (I seriously, 100% wasn't kidding when I said that learning how to play the game involves reading a 50+ page pdf)

Unless you're talking "where should I go for help regarding tactics and player building" because you already have a solid understanding of the rules and basics, in which case http://bbtactics.com/ is a pretty solid site

And if you don't want to train players, there's some sort of single player "coach" mode new to LE where you recruit already-trained players that a friend was telling me about. I wouldn't know how to access this though because I have never bothered playing it single player because it's honestly a bad single player game.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    If you have a casual interest in things astronomical and astrophysical Universe Sandbox is well worth the price. I don't fire it up often, but it's great when I want to get a sense of scale on something. I enjoy the simulations of things like the Shoemaker-Levy 9 event.

If you aren't interested in sciencey space stuff you may not get your moneys worth.

Drake on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Its fantastic after watching Wonders of the Solar System. I can pretend to know what I'm doing.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

There is a pdf in the install directory

Read it start to finish (I seriously, 100% wasn't kidding when I said that learning how to play the game involves reading a 50+ page pdf)

Unless you're talking "where should I go for help regarding tactics and player building" because you already have a solid understanding of the rules and basics, in which case http://bbtactics.com/ is a pretty solid site

And if you don't want to train players, there's some sort of single player "coach" mode new to LE where you recruit already-trained players that a friend was telling me about. I wouldn't know how to access this though because I have never bothered playing it single player because it's honestly a bad single player game.

BBTactics looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

• Options
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

This is great news! It'll sell terribly and the price will drop quicker :D

dicks

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:

dicks

Honestly since it's gonna be out on Consoles too I'm guessing they're going with the Id line of thinking (re: Rage) and aren't really counting on the PC for their core sales anyway.

Which..I dunno. They're probably right from a purely business standpoint. But even though I'd say I'm a 50/50 pc/console gamer I still have a deeper fondness for my PC gaming because I built every PC I've owned myself so there's more of an attachment to it; and it hurts when developers pretty much out and say "welp, sorry folks. I know we built our business on pc gaming but reality is what reality is." And I think that's what is happening here.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Always on DRM = no buy from me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Blood Bowl's singple player is actually a halfway decent tutorial. Sort of. It's mostly a "throw you in and watch you swim approach" but still. Most of the early "story mode" doesn't require any actual wins, you're simply practicing various mechanics (like passing, throwing teammates) to complete the mission.

• Options
    Always on DDRM doesn't bother me that much except it pretty much negates a lot of modding, and community efforts to fix the game were half the reason it saw life after its' buggy debut.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote:

Always on DRM = no buy from me.

It won't last. It just means they don't get their release sales (like they count on, so it's really a very stupid idea).

Oh well.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Always on DDRM doesn't bother me that much except it pretty much negates a lot of modding, and community efforts to fix the game were half the reason it saw life after its' buggy debut.

Dance Dance Revolution Management?

• Options
    Peewi wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:

Dance Dance Revolution Management?

Donald Duck and the Rich Mallards. It's a hot new band.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:

dicks

Honestly since it's gonna be out on Consoles too I'm guessing they're going with the Id line of thinking (re: Rage) and aren't really counting on the PC for their core sales anyway.

Which..I dunno. They're probably right from a purely business standpoint. But even though I'd say I'm a 50/50 pc/console gamer I still have a deeper fondness for my PC gaming because I built every PC I've owned myself so there's more of an attachment to it; and it hurts when developers pretty much out and say "welp, sorry folks. I know we built our business on pc gaming but reality is what reality is." And I think that's what is happening here.
    I'm not convinced that their style of gameplay will really be well received on consoles either. Look at the difference in reception between the console version of Metro 2033 and the PC one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:

dicks

I'm not convinced that their style of gameplay will really be well received on consoles either. Look at the difference in reception between the console version of Metro 2033 and the PC one
    4% on Metacritic?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

My favorite line:
    "Software piracy is an issue for us; we try to fight it, but within reason,"

Um, this is like the nuclear option. I wouldn't call it reasonable.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Is the game going to be balanced for lean?

s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.