As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Electoral Strategies: What Should They Do For 2012 And Beyond?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the Fed's annual audits are run internally. Now I'm not a Paulite or anything or even against the Fed, but the notion of using solely internal audits is a little off putting.
    Self-control is fine in Paul's books for everyone else, why not the Fed?

I'm not going to argue for libertarians carrot.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Zehydra wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Paul was critical of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, arguing that it sanctioned federal interference in the labor market and did not improve race relations. He once remarked: "The Civil Rights Act of 1964 not only violated the Constitution and reduced individual liberty; it also failed to achieve its stated goals of promoting racial harmony and a color-blind society".

Dude is crazy

As much good as that did, he may be right in saying that it didn't promote racial harmony. What it DID provide is just law.

You know who supports Ron Paul?

The fascists.

Anyways Obama's speech was pretty good. We need to be better at moving the onus on jobs from Obummer to the Republicans, though. Because as of right now they are not getting blamed for anything, and they've held/blocked Congress for a year now.

• Options
    ZehydraZehydra Registered User regular
    Zehydra wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Paul was critical of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, arguing that it sanctioned federal interference in the labor market and did not improve race relations. He once remarked: "The Civil Rights Act of 1964 not only violated the Constitution and reduced individual liberty; it also failed to achieve its stated goals of promoting racial harmony and a color-blind society".

Dude is crazy

As much good as that did, he may be right in saying that it didn't promote racial harmony. What it DID provide is just law.

The fascists.

Anyways Obama's speech was pretty good. We need to be better at moving the onus on jobs from Obummer to the Republicans, though. Because as of right now they are not getting blamed for anything, and they've held/blocked Congress for a year now.

If you read the website, it says they like him because he's against war as a foreign policy and isn't corrupt. I don't think that's a particularly fascist position. What I'm saying is, they support him for reasons which don't really relate to the fascist-specific platform, according to this website anyway.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    If you're voting for Ron Paul, you're not really ready for democracy. It's like voting for Santa or something.

• Options
    Pretty sure the Fed's annual audits are run internally. Now I'm not a Paulite or anything or even against the Fed, but the notion of using solely internal audits is a little off putting.

You can always argue for the sake of communication. If we are wrong, which you seem to think so, then at least educate us as to why we are wrong, so that maybe I can make better voting next fall.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Zehydra wrote:

You can always argue for the sake of communication. If we are wrong, which you seem to think so, then at least educate us as to why we are wrong, so that maybe I can make better voting next fall.

No, what I wasn't interested in doing was making libertarians argument's for them. I'm not a libertarian.

However, government corruption is a thing and transparency is a great tool. So sure the Fed has a legitimate need for secrecy, but the occasional outside audit wouldn't really a bad idea.

I simply don't trust any group, benign or not, private or public to be able to police itself.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I don't trust any group to audit the fed when whatever they say, regardless of validity, has the power to move global markets as much as it would. What if S&P, who downgraded the US' credit at a time of negative interest treasuries audited the fed and gave it a negative rating just because it aligned with their politics?

In any case, Ron Paul doesn't want to audit the fed, he wants to end the fed and the concept of fiat currency.

End-The-Fed.jpg

It's looney toons of the highest order, either the economy would need to contract by something like 95% (and given that the recession was only a few % of GDP loss, take a guess at that effect), or gold would need to go up to millions of dollars an ounce. It's nonsensical gibberish, not economic policy.

override367 on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

The fascists.
    For those unfamiliar with Ron Paul, he ran as a Libretarian in 1988 and then as a Republican in 2008 presidental elections.
    Apparently fascists aren't very good at spell checking.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    That's just the lesser-used French spelling.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    That's just the lesser-used French spelling.
    I might buy that, except that their whole website is riddled with errors, and I don't think the "American Fascist Party" would be big on using French spellings.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    So the Democratic Election Strategy is to select fringe groups, call them fascists, and then...

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    So the Democratic Election Strategy is to select fringe groups, call them fascists, and then...

It's unfair that we're calling the American Fascist Party fascists?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Um, the link is to the American Fascists Movement.

I don't think it's the democrats who are applying the label here....

• Options
    I'm just tying this tangent together with the thread topic.

Or trying to at least.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What isn't fascist about the Tea Party? The way they want to keep certain voting blocs from voting? Or the way they want to shut down free speech if they disagree with it?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

Or trying to at least.
    By spouting nonsense? Before your post, nobody had called anybody fascist who hadn't already proudly claimed the label. Summarizing that as "selecting fringe groups and calling them fascists" is patently absurd.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    We should form a PAC.

PAC-PAC

EDIT: Of course I'm not serious regarding the name...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    What isn't fascist about the Tea Party? The way they want to keep certain voting blocs from voting? Or the way they want to shut down free speech if they disagree with it?

This tactic is a winner in 2012. Thanatos, you should def. put it on the list of Electoral Strategies.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular

Okay, when people say Audit the Fed what they mean is that currently when a bank asks the Fed for a loan to bail it out, that isn't subject to the GAO or made public. This is because we consider runs on the banks to be bad things in general, and that is what can happen if the public were to immediately find out an institution might've been insolvent. But the Fed is otherwise completely audited and its books are all open. Congress and the GAO just don't have the ability to review or have any say over which banks the Fed makes its loans to.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

This tactic is a winner in 2012. Thanatos, you should def. put it on the list of Electoral Strategies.

I love how you always respond to the messages that *don't* completely destroy whatever nonsensical crap you've just spewed.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

I love how you always respond to the messages that *don't* completely destroy whatever nonsensical crap you've just spewed.

I don't think you really love that.

• Options
  • Options
    You're not funny, spool.

I'm not trying to be funny. The "I love how you do bad thing x" rhetorical construction is super goosey, so I always mock it. And the main point here is that the thread topic has been forgotten in tangents about how Ronpaul is supported by fascists and how terrible the Tea Party is. It's been so thoroughly forgotten that some people didn't even catch the sarcastic reference to the thread title in that first comment I made.

I capitalized it and everything!

• Options
    And if you hadn't been trying to be a clever goose and actually steered the conversation back on topic instead of hamfistedly combining the tangent with the main topic of the thread, we would actually be talking about Democratic electoral strategies now.

• Options
    A fair point.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    spool32 wrote:
    You're not funny, spool.

I'm not trying to be funny. The "I love how you do bad thing x" rhetorical construction is super goosey, so I always mock it. And the main point here is that the thread topic has been forgotten in tangents about how Ronpaul is supported by fascists and how terrible the Tea Party is. It's been so thoroughly forgotten that some people didn't even catch the sarcastic reference to the thread title in that first comment I made.

That's fair.

I find it reprehensible, intellectually lazy, and insulting when you cherry-pick the thread for the few responses of many that don't completely destroy whatever nonsense you've just spewed.

EDIT: Doubly so if all it really is a transparent attempt to derail the thread instead of posting anything constructive.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    So back to Obama's speech and deficit plan. It felt like a good step in the right direction.

He suffered negative fallout from the debt ceiling debate issue, but the more radical members of Congress suffered considerably WORSE fallout. Unfavorable views of the TEA party jumped 20 points while favorable views fell slightly: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/us/politics/05teaparty.html

Now is a really good time to start with more hardline rhetoric, as the pendulum of public opinion may sway with him, not against him.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    You're not funny, spool.

That's fair.

I find it reprehensible, intellectually lazy, and insulting when you cherry-pick the thread for the few responses of many that don't completely destroy whatever nonsense you've just spewed.

EDIT: Doubly so if all it really is a transparent attempt to derail the thread instead of posting anything constructive.

OK, since we're so stubbornly committed to keeping this thread on topic I'll bite.

Where in this thread did Spool get completely destroyed?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    oldmanken wrote:
    We should form a PAC.

PAC-PAC

EDIT: Of course I'm not serious regarding the name...

If we form a pac, its name should be PAC-MAN. Penny Arcade Community - Mobilizing Against Nonsense. ;p

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

• Options
    edited September 2011
    "OK, since we're so stubbornly committed to keeping this thread on topic I'll bite.

Where in this thread did Spool get completely destroyed?"

Really dude?

Captaincarrot
    spool32 wrote:

Or trying to at least.

By spouting nonsense? Before your post, nobody had called anybody fascist who hadn't already proudly claimed the label. Summarizing that as "selecting fringe groups and calling them fascists" is patently absurd.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

It's also a notion which is apparently inaccurate

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    You're not funny, spool.

That's fair.

OK, since we're so stubbornly committed to keeping this thread on topic I'll bite.

Where in this thread did Spool get completely destroyed?

About 10 posts up where he complained about us calling the American Fascist Society fascists.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    So...let me understand this.

Thread goes way OT about Ron Paul and fascists. Spool sarcastically tries to connect it to the thread title and someone incorrectly assumes Spool is making commentary on calling a fascist group fascists instead of pointing out how off topic the discussion has gone.

Yeah still don't see it, sorry. That strawman sure got owned though.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey, we should end this meta-tangent, hmm?

It'd sure have been nice if we'd agreed to actually do something. I still think that turning the vitriol up too high is a bad move.
    Something very worth remembering, people get defensive when you reveal their hypocrisy, if you want to work around that you need to make something that leads them to support your conclusion in a way that lets them twist themselves into believing they were good people all along. Namely calling out congress and blaming them for misleading the people versus criticizing the electorate for not doing their own research. Whether or not it's right that people don't it still won't change the fact that they don't.

We need a strategy that's right, that works, and is viable over the long-term. I seriously think if we tried to make primarily funny videos, but instead based that comedy around revealing the stupid things congress is trying to pull over on us, that we might have a chance of engaging people in the process. You need to implicitly talk up the American people and dress down congress, because if someone believes something, even if it's an extraordinarily dangerous belief "I.E. cutting taxes always raises revenues/creates jobs because...CAPITALISM!" if you make them uncomfortable more often than not that'll just cause them to shut you out.

But if instead, there were a way to make people laugh about it. Point at their TVs and say "Oh you goosey congresscritter, there is no evidence that tax rates on the wealthy even effect job creation!" by illustrating the situation in a funny way that makes people realize the SITUATION is ridiculous but without evoking a lot of the personal attachment/projection people have with things they might believe. You do that so long as you do it subtly, portray the ideas being discussed as ridiculous without necessarily associating them to specific parties, congressman, etc, create a good appearance of fairness by keeping up with D criticisms and trying to maintain as much parity as possible in reporting on ridiculousness and I think it could happen.

Instead of making a youtube-based ad, which let's be frank, as political ads go it might've been a good one but without the ability to air that nationally that brings us absolutely zero gain. If we want to make our own videos and be effective we have to make something that people will WANT TO WATCH entirely on their own and you're just not going to catch that many viewers serving up nothing but fiery vitriol 24/7.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote:

I have yet to hear either of those things come from Ron Paul, a supposed representative of the Tea Party. (I have actually yet to hear those things said at all).

(Sorry for continuing this tangent, I find this interesting)

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Zehydra wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

I have yet to hear either of those things come from Ron Paul, a supposed representative of the Tea Party. (I have actually yet to hear those things said at all).

(Sorry for continuing this tangent, I find this interesting)

Actions speak louder than words.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    When has the Tea Party ever supported either of these things?

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Check the link.

Voter suppression and caging have been long time tactics of the GOP to remove votes from demographics that traditionally lean democratic.

The Tea Party is nothing more than an astroturfed rebranding of the arch conservative wing of the GOP who have never repudiated those tactics.

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    I checked the link. It implies, without any evidence, that DMV closings in an era of government budget cuts are evidence of a conspiracy to disenfranchise Democratic voters. Sure.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship