Options

Democratic Electoral Strategies: What Should They Do For 2012 And Beyond?

1101112131416»

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    I'm beginning to fear that I have a more solid grasp of the US political system (as a Canadian) than the average American.
    That's not particularly difficult. Most people forget 8th grade civics after a while.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Forar wrote:
    I'm beginning to fear that I have a more solid grasp of the US political system (as a Canadian) than the average American.
    That's not particularly difficult. Most people forget 8th grade civics after a while.

Some willingly.

Furthermore, I have not have a single American History or civics teacher in general who didn't make this claim about Canadians. They all know this, and they all say it, from middle school to college. It's why my middle school teacher made us take a mock-citizenship test.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Forar wrote:

Some willingly.

Furthermore, I have not have a single American History or civics teacher in general who didn't make this claim about Canadians. They all know this, and they all say it, from middle school to college. It's why my middle school teacher made us take a mock-citizenship test.

Speaking of American History, has public education started teaching about the period known as the Korean War yet?

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There was a war in Korea?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Yea I think it ended when the other guy left after he became mined out at his natural

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yea I think it ended when the other guy left after he became mined out at his natural

Actually, one side was snarky medics.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Fencingsax wrote:

Actually, one side was snarky medics.

And Jamie Farr.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Republicans continue denying voting rights to Democrats

but don't worry, it's just to guard against "voter fraud"
    Pueblo County Clerk Gilbert “Bo” Ortiz will comply with Secretary of State Scott Gessler’s order not to send ballots to soldiers out of state who are legally registered Pueblo County voters but who failed to cast ballots in 2010. The news came Friday afternoon in a carefully worded release that came after hours of deliberation.

“Pueblo County will honor Secretary Gessler’s order but this is not over,” Ortiz is quoted to say. “Pueblo County is currently weighing [its] legal options, including taking the issue to court. The Secretary of State effectively has denied 64 active military personnel the opportunity to vote.”

Gessler unveiled a new interpretation of state election law last week, when he filed a lawsuit to stop Denver County from mailing ballots to “inactive” voters as it had done for the last five years. An inactive voter in Colorado is a voter who is legally registered but who has failed to cast a vote in the previous general election—in this case the election of 2010.[...]

Gessler made a career as a lawyer of defending Republican clients and causes in election and campaign finance cases. He has been a controversial secretary of state since winning office in the “GOP wave election” of 2010. He has said that, in directing majority Democratic Denver and Pueblo county not to mail ballots to inactive voters, he is seeking to guard against fraud and make the state’s election rules uniform.

You've got two chances to guess which party has a higher proportion of non-voters in 2010!

And what a coincidence that the only counties to which he has made this directive are majority Democratic! Coincidence!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Ugh. And I thought Mike Coffeman was the worst SOS we had seen in Colorado. At least he left that office and is now one of our house reps. *faceplam*

In case you guys don't remember, he decided that voter reg forms needed the voter's driver's license number on and said the SSN wasn't sufficient. Even though the official voter reg forms given out by the state said either would have worked. This was surprisingly decided right around the voter registration deadline.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Forar wrote:

Some willingly.

Speaking of American History, has public education started teaching about the period known as the Korean War yet?

Yes and they talk about Vietnam, but they give the cleaned up version of it. They removed any mention of Cambodia, Agent Orange, the fact that we didn't win the Korean War and the bit about MacArthur wanting to drop 50 nukes on the Korean-Chinese border.

Or at least that's how I remember 10th grade American history.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Yes and they talk about Vietnam, but they give the cleaned up version of it. They removed any mention of Cambodia, Agent Orange, the fact that we didn't win the Korean War and the bit about MacArthur wanting to drop 50 nukes on the Korean-Chinese border.

Mine had some brief references to Agent Orange/chems in Vietnam but didn't really get into anything grissly or really the scale of the events going on. Fortunately my 11th grade history teacher was an actual Vietnam vet who had none of that and made a point to personally fill us in with what the book left out. Our book was good enough to at least say Korea was a stalemate, said MacArthur got fired for being "too aggressive" with nothing on the 50 nukes stuff.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    dbrock270 wrote:

Mine had some brief references to Agent Orange/chems in Vietnam but didn't really get into anything grissly or really the scale of the events going on. Fortunately my 11th grade history teacher was an actual Vietnam vet who had none of that and made a point to personally fill us in with what the book left out. Our book was good enough to at least say Korea was a stalemate, said MacArthur got fired for being "too aggressive" with nothing on the 50 nukes stuff.

My English class read "The Things They Carried." My history teacher basically limited his stuff to how we got into the war and PTSD, most likely because his dad apparently pioneered veterans' studies by talking to Vietnam vets.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    First time he's said this explicitly:
    "I'd love nothing more than to see Congress act so forcefully that I can't run against them as a do-nothing Congress."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's about fucking time.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    First time he's said this explicitly:
    "I'd love nothing more than to see Congress act so forcefully that I can't run against them as a do-nothing Congress."

I'm not at all convinced that this line of thinking is more likely to motivate likely Obama voters than it is to demotivate marginal Dem voters in at-risk Congressional districts.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Eh, at this point I don't think Obama's political future is certain. He needs to tack hard to the left to win over the disaffected people protesting in new york right now. If he were to try and work with the movement and help legitimize it he stands a chance of gaining a good portion of the electorate. As it stands right now though? Every day he doesn't put his full support behind Occupy Wall St. he makes it harder for the democrats as a party to actually meaningfully reach out to them. I really want to believe somewhere deep down Obama's an honest but sometimes naive and misguided fellow. I'd hate for him to fail not necessarily because of anything he did but more because political winds changed underneath him and swept out his base.

If he doesn't side with the protests soon enough, unless something miraculous changes between now and election day I think Obama's chances of re-election may actually be in serious Jeopardy.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, at this point I don't think Obama's political future is certain. He needs to tack hard to the left to win over the disaffected people protesting in new york right now. If he were to try and work with the movement and help legitimize it he stands a chance of gaining a good portion of the electorate. As it stands right now though? Every day he doesn't put his full support behind Occupy Wall St. he makes it harder for the democrats as a party to actually meaningfully reach out to them. I really want to believe somewhere deep down Obama's an honest but sometimes naive and misguided fellow. I'd hate for him to fail not necessarily because of anything he did but more because political winds changed underneath him and swept out his base.

If he doesn't side with the protests soon enough, unless something miraculous changes between now and election day I think Obama's chances of re-election may actually be in serious Jeopardy.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-06/wall-street-march-comes-to-washington-as-obama-cites-frustration.html

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    It's about fucking time.

It's been clear this was his plan for a couple months. You can go back and find me saying it in this very thread!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

He has more to lose from fully supporting Occupy Wall St. than he has to gain.