As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Vs Capcom Thread Of Believing in Mike Ross

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    As of this moment the campaign data it lists:
    Participants - 9320
    Heroes - 5795
    Heralds - 3525
    # of Battles - 57965

As far as ole FFF goes, yeah it'd be really annoying but MODOK with Doom missiles is annoying in general. In H&H I'd be really wary with full zoning as a gameplan though, lots of ways to increase your life and/or negate chip flying around (including other FFF players).

The system in general seems to favor zoning/turtling, simply due to so many of the effects benefiting defensive play. Mandarin/FFF/Myria plus the zoning team of your choice, and your opponent might be able to force a draw if they're very lucky.

Anyway, stats from 360:

Participants: 2131
    Heroes: 1181
    Heralds: 950
    Battles: 1920

If these numbers are not glitched in some way, it means that an awful lot of players just played once and then quit.
    edit: also maybe some people logged in, picked a team, then left without playing when they realized they couldn't set up matches with friends

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well. H&H is a pretty novel thing anyway. It's basically a mode to see what kind of broken shit you can come up with. Which, while fun for a bit, usually doesn't hold ones attention, especially when you have to deal with the broken shit OTHER people have come up with.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Well. H&H is a pretty novel thing anyway. It's basically a mode to see what kind of broken shit you can come up with. Which, while fun for a bit, usually doesn't hold ones attention, especially when you have to deal with the broken shit OTHER people have come up with.
    It's to distract players from the broken shit that is UMvC3 regular mode.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Hey, XF3 Wesker isn't so bad compared to infinite XF3 Wesker! Looks like Capcom was right after all!"

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    So according to Maximillian, and after testing this myself, Chris can now indeed cancel out of his flamethrower into special moves. Any Chris players come up with anything novel? Since you'll still have to hold down H to keep the flamethrower out it kinda limits your options - Gun Fire (shotgun) and (submachine gun) come out too slow to combo, and M grenade toss leaves you somewhat vulnerable. You can't cancel into flamethrower either, sadface. The best I can come up with is using it as a time to set up a landmine. In the corner you can go flamethrower > landmine > sweep combo which is alright.

• Options
    So, this was posted on SRK, and I think it should be posted here, just so any people not completely giving up on Wright can mull it over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CJa2fxFrU8

Apparently, there IS some frame-based link to evidence (at least... we can only confirm so in Training), but there's still a variable (or 2) that we're missing. I made a post about it on SRK that I won't repost here, because it's long and VERY expository, but hopefully this will get some Wright players thinking. The best I can come up with are multiple evidence loadouts, 6-7 pulls long (at least), that are randomly being cycled between. Here's a link to my SRK post.

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    JackKieser wrote:
    So, this was posted on SRK, and I think it should be posted here, just so any people not completely giving up on Wright can mull it over.

Apparently, there IS some frame-based link to evidence (at least... we can only confirm so in Training), but there's still a variable (or 2) that we're missing. I made a post about it on SRK that I won't repost here, because it's long and VERY expository, but hopefully this will get some Wright players thinking. The best I can come up with are multiple evidence loadouts, 6-7 pulls long (at least), that are randomly being cycled between. Here's a link to my SRK post.

Unfortunately I can't watch the video right now, but from your post it sounds like they are using the same method they used for Hsien Ko's projectile special. The object she throws seems random but it's actually based on the number of frames that passed since throwing the last object (or something like that). One of the objects she throws dizzies the opponent and it was actually possible to do an infinite by consistently throwing objects X frames apart from one another to always get the dizzying object.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    JackKieser wrote:

Unfortunately I can't watch the video right now, but from your post it sounds like they are using the same method they used for Hsien Ko's projectile special. The object she throws seems random but it's actually based on the number of frames that passed since throwing the last object (or something like that). One of the objects she throws dizzies the opponent and it was actually possible to do an infinite by consistently throwing objects X frames apart from one another to always get the dizzying object.
    Yeah, it's old news. Wright players have been timing their evidence grabs for a while.

The big problem is finding the time and opportunity to do so. In usual cases, you can get 2 evidence max so this technique really doesn't help there. And in the cases where you can get 3 evidence, it usually overlaps with cases where you can get 5-6 evidence.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    For some reason I keep getting more and more annoyed with Arthur and Sentinel. It's weird how neither of them really benefit a keep away squad. Arthur is better at cleaning up on anchor. If I'm playing a keep away game that keeps it tight, then when Arthur comes out and he's not at an advantage, he can't close as easy as he usually can. I feel like Taskmaster is my best character, but building around him is such a chore. I just don't know what to do at all.

Alternatively, I'm going to give Vergil another spin today. He did better with Sentinel.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, that video proves that it's certainly not as "simple" as Hsien Ko's projectiles, though; if it were only based on relative frame difference, every single time IReidYou ran the recording over again, he'd get the same evidence, which clearly doesn't happen. Something is causing semi-randomization in the second set, and it's something that's related to a constant, because the second set cycles between possible sets and nothing else.

If I understand Ko's mechanic properly, if you did 5 frame perfect throws in a recording and played back the recording, you would get the exact same projectiles every time you played the recording back. That's not happening in the video I posted.

JackKieser on

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    For some reason I keep getting more and more annoyed with Arthur and Sentinel. It's weird how neither of them really benefit a keep away squad. Arthur is better at cleaning up on anchor. If I'm playing a keep away game that keeps it tight, then when Arthur comes out and he's not at an advantage, he can't close as easy as he usually can. I feel like Taskmaster is my best character, but building around him is such a chore. I just don't know what to do at all.

Alternatively, I'm going to give Vergil another spin today. He did better with Sentinel.

I know you love him but honestly I would drop arthur

from the set we played the other day I had little issue with him so long as I had something resembling patience

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

I know you love him but honestly I would drop arthur

from the set we played the other day I had little issue with him so long as I had something resembling patience

I want to. I just don't know what to trade for.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    uh, I'd say ryu but you're probably not gonna stop trying keepaway

in which case maybe dormammu or doom, I dunno

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    uh, I'd say ryu but you're probably not gonna stop trying keepaway

in which case maybe dormammu or doom, I dunno

Well if I'm playing Vergil I'm not playing keep away, now am I?

I don't even like keep away. I just like Taskmaster. He's an awesome character that plays really well as a hybrid. If I can best support that, then I will.

• Options
    Teach me how to beat Hawkeye.

I keep getting trashed by my friends' Hawkeye and he's not even playing Hawkeye that impressively - filling the screen with shit (naturally, backed by Doom's Hidden Missiles), punishing whatever he can with Gimlet (naturally, backed by Morrigan's Dark Harmonizor) and abusing the fuck out of Hawkeye's slide to start his combos. I just can't beat him and it's making me feel like saying "Nope. Done playing against you. See ya". So fucking frustrating.

• Options
    I wish I knew how to play Super Skrull.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Man, I wish Zero's alt costume would come out already. I want to run Tron (in Roll colors just for lulz), Zero (Megaman), and Frank West (Fat Megaman) and take my troll team out to go collect hate mail.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Call in drones.

Use command grab.

... There is no ??? stage because at this point you're going self-OTG > INFERRRRRRRRRNOOOOOOOOO.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dunxco wrote:

Call in drones.

Use command grab.

... There is no ??? stage because at this point you're going self-OTG > INFERRRRRRRRRNOOOOOOOOO.

you missed the most important part

meteor smash and pray. preferably after calling in drones

thats crucial

actually I should get back to playing skrull like I did in vanilla. I know I can already do some solid frank setups with frank/skrull/sent

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I don't even have fun anymore without playing my GR team.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    If you like keepaway kinder, why not try deadpool?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    Dunxco wrote:

I keep getting trashed by my friends' Hawkeye and he's not even playing Hawkeye that impressively - filling the screen with shit (naturally, backed by Doom's Hidden Missiles), punishing whatever he can with Gimlet (naturally, backed by Morrigan's Dark Harmonizor) and abusing the fuck out of Hawkeye's slide to start his combos. I just can't beat him and it's making me feel like saying "Nope. Done playing against you. See ya". So fucking frustrating.

Who do you play? If you're open to counter picking, consider X-23. She can dash under most of his arrows, it's a hilarious matchup really, because Hawkeye players are generally so confident in their ability to control horizontal ground space.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    edited December 2011

then play that team? there's a reason I play the characters I do over wesker/nova/insert boring autopilot character here and thats because thrashing team trenchcoat with shit like nemesis and frank while strange yells crazy spell names nonstop is hilarious

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

then play that team? there's a reason I play the characters I do over wesker/nova/insert boring autopilot character here and thats because thrashing team trenchcoat with shit like nemesis and frank while strange yells crazy spell names nonstop is hilarious

I dunno. I spend a lot of money to go to tournaments. Losing sucks.

• Options
    I dunno why playing dudes you enjoy makes you more likely to lose but ok

ghost rider and taskmaster are pretty legit last I checked but what do I know right

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    The chars aren't the problem 8-)

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    heh

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    inlemur wrote:
    Dunxco wrote:

Who do you play? If you're open to counter picking, consider X-23. She can dash under most of his arrows, it's a hilarious matchup really, because Hawkeye players are generally so confident in their ability to control horizontal ground space.

I've got a couple of teams I play. The team I consider my "main" is Frank (cart)/Skrull (stone smite)/Sentinel (drones) and an alt team of that which swaps Skrull for Ghost Rider (Chain of Rebuttal). There's also my Nemesis (Launcher Slam)/Chris (Gun Fire)/Deadpool (Katanarama) team and I'm trying to work together a team with Vergil on point - 's a W.I.P. though.

Basically his strat is to fill the screen with shit, chip me down, then finish me off with a Slide hit-confirm into a BnB > Whichever hyper combo he fancies. The problems I face are all character-dependant though: As Chris, I can't keep up with either a projectile war or get in because Hawkeye's arrows are faster than Chris's guns and his normals are faster than Chris's. The same goes for Frank really. He can shut down my aerial get-in game with Skrull thanks to Hidden Missiles and arrows and plays it full-screen out of command grab range. He can punish me calling in Sentinel because the big guy is out there for so long and the drones come out super-slow so it's basically saying "PLEASE HIT ME WITH GIMLET PLEASE PLEASE".

I'm very much open to the idea of counter-picking against guys Hawkeye is weak against, or guys that I know he has a mental block against, but I don't know how to play X-23 (and I have tried, oh lord I have tried). I'm considering Dante but I have no idea how to play him either. Looks hella fun though.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Kinderparty, your Taskmaster is amazing.

Why not Zero / Taskmaster / Spencer or Zero / Spencer / Taskmaster?

I only say this because I know you like, or used to like, Zero.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Sleepwalker9Sleepwalker9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sleepwalker9 on
    Xbox Live: Reborn9
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I was both simultaneously impressed by and depressed by Combofiend's Nova. I can't explain it. I wanted more.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    Dunxco wrote:
    I've got a couple of teams I play. The team I consider my "main" is Frank (cart)/Skrull (stone smite)/Sentinel (drones) and an alt team of that which swaps Skrull for Ghost Rider (Chain of Rebuttal). There's also my Nemesis (Launcher Slam)/Chris (Gun Fire)/Deadpool (Katanarama) team and I'm trying to work together a team with Vergil on point - 's a W.I.P. though.

Basically his strat is to fill the screen with shit, chip me down, then finish me off with a Slide hit-confirm into a BnB > Whichever hyper combo he fancies. The problems I face are all character-dependant though: As Chris, I can't keep up with either a projectile war or get in because Hawkeye's arrows are faster than Chris's guns and his normals are faster than Chris's. The same goes for Frank really. He can shut down my aerial get-in game with Skrull thanks to Hidden Missiles and arrows and plays it full-screen out of command grab range. He can punish me calling in Sentinel because the big guy is out there for so long and the drones come out super-slow so it's basically saying "PLEASE HIT ME WITH GIMLET PLEASE PLEASE".

I'm very much open to the idea of counter-picking against guys Hawkeye is weak against, or guys that I know he has a mental block against, but I don't know how to play X-23 (and I have tried, oh lord I have tried). I'm considering Dante but I have no idea how to play him either. Looks hella fun though.

Sentinel seems like a huge liability vs Hawkeye. Chris should be able to take advantage of the fact that he can shoot diagonally downward from jumps, while Hawkeye can't. If you can get Hawkeye to start neutral jumping to shoot horizontal arrows, take the opportunity to dash in while he's airborne. Dante or another teleporting character could work as well; if he's a decent player, you don't actually have to use the teleport much to take advantage of it. Just the threat of you popping in behind him will force him to be more cautious about constantly shooting arrows everywhere.

If you want a LOL counterpick team, you could try something like Akuma/Storm/Morrigan. Morrigan to build meter, Akuma to beam through arrows and assists, and Storm for DHC. Akuma can also punish Gimlet from full screen.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    Combofiend really makes me thing about switching the order of my team.

XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i knew he'd drop nemesis

was just a matter of time

• Options
    Yeah. The more and more I play, the more I really just don't find this game fun at all.

Putting UMVC3 on the shelf now. But hey, good time to break Street Fighter back out!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah. The more and more I play, the more I really just don't find this game fun at all.

Putting UMVC3 on the shelf now. But hey, good time to break Street Fighter back out!

See, people make fun of how much I gripe, but I think I just got to this point faster than most people. Seeing higher-level play saturated with characters that get silly amounts of mobility, OTG, and safe attacks has just killed my taste for the game.

Capcom's utterly bizarre choices with this last patch just make things even worse. Not adding some nerfs to some of the really broken characters is one thing, but nerfing characters that were already marginal? That's just... stupid. Just because MvC2 was broken for 10 years because of how they made the game doesn't mean that UMvC3 being broken is acceptable or reasonable.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If they had a mode that banned wesker I would be happy

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If they had a mode that banned wesker I would be happy

I don't see why they didn't include a custom lobby mode where the host could limit which characters could be used. Yeah, it's entirely self-serving, but so what? At least people would be getting what they want.

Of course, Capcom didn't bother to add a spectator mode until the Ultimate version of the game, so that would've been an entirely unrealistic expectation.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Because banning characters unless they're out and out dumb sounds pretty stupid. I mean if you want to ban characters just get together with your friends and tell them not to use so and so.

And honestly, Wesker isn't cheap. It's just that he's good and easy to use, wherein most of the other top-tier characters at least take some technical skill to use at their max potential.

I mean I agree with you that Capcom makes stupid design decisions, but meh, I think its in general and has nothing to do with one specific character or another.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Custom lobbies limiting character choice would be pretty terrible. I mean, I hate the design of a few of the top tiers and all, but they're not going anywhere. So you either have to work on the matchup, or find people willing to play around with you without resorting to personal character bans.

Anyway, the real reason I came to post was this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raphGKObECQ

I was actually toying around with Viper a tiny bit the other day (because X-23 can combo from her seismo assist) but even her simple stuff is pretty hard. Can't imagine ever getting to the point I could do any of her combos online, either.