As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Walking Dead] Finally - the wife is hooked.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Also:
    If they make it to the prison in the tv show, they should cast Robert Downey Jr as the Governor.

That's just my personal fantasy.

I lost all hope of that happening when
    shane didn't die in Season 1

They need to follow the good parts of the comic

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Fair warning: Extra spoiler-ly comic details below. You've been warned.

The
    Governor
    is totally evil and has no redeeming qualities, a charming scamp like
    Robert Downey Jr.
    is too likable. Rumor has it that
    Merle
    will return occupying the role. Which will then be his motivation for
    cutting off Rick's hand

kingworks on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    whoops

• Options
    They really should allow for an extra 's' in spoiler tags. -_-"

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Has anyone pointed out that the 1.5 hour season premiere was approximately 60 minutes of show and 30 minutes of commercials, all approximately 3 minutes apart?

Cuz that was some BULLSHIT.

• Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    Rumor has it that
    Merle
    cutting off Rick's hand

Is that a rumor or just an often repeated fan theory?

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    The commercial frequency was insane, yes. All the better to fill us in on incredibly lame tie-ins like Shane and Rick pitching the SPIKE SCREAM AWARDS (wtf is this?) and zombies shilling t-mobile phones. And did anyone watch that "THE TALKING DEAD" crap? I saw that and wondered out loud if the producers of The Hills or Teen Mom had taken over this show?

Someone touched on the water, and how they couldn't take it all so Shane being a dope was a-ok. Someone else pointed out "Why not take the truck for awhile?" EXACTAMUNDO! 175 abandoned cars blocking the road and whats the plan? Take the gas from that 2010 Ford Excursion with 4 wheel drive and a V8 HEMI engine, push it out the way and grab a hose off this Hyundai (The Official Mid Size Sedan of The Walking Dead™, no lie the next commercial was for Hyundai)..... SO WE CAN FIX UP OUR 72 WINNEBAGO AND THIS 83 JEEP WAGONEER AND HIT THE ROAD! Seriously did everyone become zombiefied and run from their cars with their keys in hand?

• Options
    Sheri wrote:
    Has anyone pointed out that the 1.5 hour season premiere was approximately 60 minutes of show and 30 minutes of commercials, all approximately 3 minutes apart?

Cuz that was some BULLSHIT.

that's a pretty average show-to-commercial ratio though

• Options
    kingworks wrote:
    Rumor has it that
    Merle
    cutting off Rick's hand

Is that a rumor or just an often repeated fan theory?
    It is unsubstantiated.

• Options
    oh you mean commercials every three minutes

yeah god that's horrible

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Also good lord the opening monologue was bad

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Seriously, we had DVR'd it and I wound up picking up the remote every 3-5 minutes to fast forward through more commercials

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    Kirkman stated in an EW interview during the first season that they are going to do things differently from the comic because when he was writing the comic, he expected the series to be cancelled within the first 100 issues and tried to shoehorn things in sooner than he would have liked. The general direction and plot points will be the same, though.

Really? The comic is Kirkman rushing things?
    Aretè wrote:
    @ Anyone else who has read the comics, did you find the shift from of artists from tony moore to charlie adlard slightly jarring? Those two have completely different styles and I definitely found it slightly difficult to adjust to adlards style after finishing the first volume that was just tony moore. The way adlards draws his characters, they tend to be sorta on the ugly side.

Kind of, and I liked Tony Moore's style better I think. But I got used to Adlard quick enough. Also, Adlard messed up and used Amy's character design for Andrea for the rest of the series.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    The commercial frequency was insane, yes. All the better to fill us in on incredibly lame tie-ins like Shane and Rick pitching the SPIKE SCREAM AWARDS (wtf is this?) and zombies shilling t-mobile phones. And did anyone watch that "THE TALKING DEAD" crap? I saw that and wondered out loud if the producers of The Hills or Teen Mom had taken over this show?

Someone touched on the water, and how they couldn't take it all so Shane being a dope was a-ok. Someone else pointed out "Why not take the truck for awhile?" EXACTAMUNDO! 175 abandoned cars blocking the road and whats the plan? Take the gas from that 2010 Ford Excursion with 4 wheel drive and a V8 HEMI engine, push it out the way and grab a hose off this Hyundai (The Official Mid Size Sedan of The Walking Dead™, no lie the next commercial was for Hyundai)..... SO WE CAN FIX UP OUR 72 WINNEBAGO AND THIS 83 JEEP WAGONEER AND HIT THE ROAD! Seriously did everyone become zombiefied and run from their cars with their keys in hand?

The funny part is that if you watch closely, every time they have a traffic bottleneck, it's the same dozen or so vehicles they use for close-ups.

And it's always a PT Cruiser upside down. That thing is built with casters on the roof, they had it sitting outside our office when they filmed down here, which I have to assume is for a flashback in a future episode, because it was old footage of the cobb galleria for the premiere.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    mrmr wrote:
    kingworks wrote:
    Kirkman stated in an EW interview during the first season that they are going to do things differently from the comic because when he was writing the comic, he expected the series to be cancelled within the first 100 issues and tried to shoehorn things in sooner than he would have liked. The general direction and plot points will be the same, though.

Really? The comic is Kirkman rushing things?
    Dude really likes his interpersonal drama, I guess. Or maybe to him an 'arc' is 50 issues instead of the pithy 5-7 issues Marvel and DC put into their big 'event' comics.

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Actually, rereading the first half of the trades, it plays out a little quicker than what it felt like when I was trade waiting. But I'll bet that
    the story with Shane in the comics
    is one thing that Kirkman wanted to play out but thought he wouldn't have time. Now the show is drawing it out and I actually kinda like it.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Artreus wrote:
    It is really dumb when people are talking.

The writers are so bad

Yeah, I think my biggest gripe with this show is that I really don't care if any of the characters die (except for Darryl right now). There's no real tension because I'm not particularly rooting for the survivors to succeed.

Though that might not be entirely the fault of the shitty writing; it may also stem from my expectations established from reading the books, in which we've already discovered more than once that not even the core group of characters is safe, ultimately leaving me apprehensive about getting attached to any one character.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    so i just saw the new episode.

have none of the writers ever encountered a deer, or any wildlife, in reality?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That really was so very obnoxious, but I assumed it was done to reinforce the idea of it being the sign he asked for. Which doesn't really help. :|

• Options
    At the end of this season we find out that god has the power to make animals do what he wants, as our group of survivors tries to escape his infested cloud fortress before a doomsday timer counts down to zero and the whole thing explodes.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TheStig wrote:
    so i just saw the new episode.

have none of the writers ever encountered a deer, or any wildlife, in reality?

Half the time I don't think the writers have ever encountered people

Especially women

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Larlar wrote:
    At the end of this season we find out that god has the power to make animals do what he wants, as our group of survivors tries to escape his infested cloud fortress before a doomsday timer counts down to zero and the whole thing explodes.

With enough force to completely level a building with a massive steel infrastructure but not shatter the windshields and glass of the cars they took refuge in.

My sense of reality in this zombie apocalypse show is completely RUINED.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    msuitepyon wrote:
    Larlar wrote:

With enough force to completely level a building with a massive steel infrastructure but not shatter the windshields and glass of the cars they took refuge in.

My sense of reality in this zombie apocalypse show is completely RUINED.

No, you've got it all wrong. Cloud fortresses aren't made of steel.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    As someone who has never gone hunting, the deer scene seemed totally fine to me.

Put it down to all the hunters being zombies now, so deer in general are more chill.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    As someone who has never gone hunting, the deer scene seemed totally fine to me.

Put it down to all the hunters being zombies now, so deer in general are more chill.

No.

No, that idea is wrong on quite literally, dozens of levels.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Especially since it's been shown that the zombies are quite happy to eat animals, too.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

It would take generations of deer for them to chill that much, and only if all humanoid predators were completely absent from their area. If all the hunters are zombies, which will also hunt deer, that means the deer will still run the fuck away from people. It's not like they can tell the difference.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    wait, what is the context of the scene?

It can depend on where the deer live. For instance, I had a deer walk up to me outside my apartment building in Alexandria. We're right on a large nature reserve, so they get pretty bold.

Langly on
  • Options
    Langly wrote:

It can depend on where the deer live. For instance, I had a deer walk up to me outside my apartment building in Alexandria. We're right on a large nature reserve, so they get pretty bold.
    Georgia.

So, no.

• Options
    kingworks wrote:
    Langly wrote:

Georgia.

So, no.

Well, in Rome Georgia the deer are like that. They serious don't give a fuck, due to Berry College, which is half nature preserve. When I was there I could walk like five feet away from a deer and it would just look at me and go "What? You want some of this?"

The skunks were worse, bold little fuckers would walk right up to sniff your feet while you froze in abosolute terror.

But considering that Rome is north west of Atlanta, and Ft. Benning is south east, I'm pretty sure they're nowhere near Rome.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    kingworks wrote:
    Langly wrote:

Georgia.

So, no.

Well, in Rome Georgia the deer are like that. They serious don't give a fuck, due to Berry College, which is half nature preserve. When I was there I could walk like five feet away from a deer and it would just look at me and go "What? You want some of this?"

The skunks were worse, bold little fuckers would walk right up to sniff your feet while you froze in abosolute terror.

But considering that Rome is north west of Atlanta, and Ft. Benning is south east, I'm pretty sure they're nowhere near Rome.

they seemed to be about an hour south of ATL on 75.

Smack dab in the middle of the very definition of "rural america". These deer would not walk up to people. They would bolt.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Decomposey wrote: »
    kingworks wrote:
    Langly wrote:

Georgia.

So, no.

they seemed to be about an hour south of ATL on 75.

Smack dab in the middle of the very definition of "rural america". These deer would not walk up to people. They would bolt.

Yeha, that deer would have been gone before they even knew there was a deer.

• Options
    Stale wrote:

No.

Or just one, really big level.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Larlar wrote: »
    Stale wrote:

No.

Or just one, really big level.

1. Writers are dumb.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the new Walking Dead indeed

except
    for when it got all Christianny

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote:
    I enjoyed the new Walking Dead indeed

except
    for when it got all Christianny

What? You mean the
    church scene?

That was fantastic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    i think he means the part after the zombies, which were hilarious

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm willing to give the show a little more slack before kicking it to the curb

The entire highway zombie horde sequence made up for more of the bothersome stuff later in the episode, at least it did for me.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List