As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm [Kingdom], he's [Hearts], and that's [Thread].

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wish I didn't have to wait until december.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    BBS is going to be so awesome on a full screen via PS3.

Truth be told I never finished playing BBS because I just did not like the analog on the Vita. So this is a win-win for me.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    BBS is going to be so awesome on a full screen via PS3.

Truth be told I never finished playing BBS because I just did not like the analog on the Vita. So this is a win-win for me.

You played BBS on a Vita?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    PSP I mean.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    PSP I mean.

And here I thought someone managed to get it to play on Vita. Stupid Square and their not putting Kingdom Hearts on PSN.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It almost certainly has to be because of some weird screwy contract between Disney and S-E. It's the only reasoning that makes sense, seeing as how virtually every other game is up.

Case in point: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 isn't even available digitally.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It almost certainly has to be because of some weird screwy contract between Disney and S-E. It's the only reasoning that makes sense, seeing as how virtually every other game is up.

No, it's JUST Square-Enix being stupid. FFVII Crisis Core is also not on the PSN.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

No, it's JUST Square-Enix being stupid. FFVII Crisis Core is also not on the PSN.

Neither are the Star Ocean remakes, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and probably something else.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well, let's try pulling the "Fuck S-E" sticks out of our asses for just a few minutes and look at this impartially, hmm?

On the PSP front we have:
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth---March 2, 2006---Not available
    Final Fantasy---April 19, 2007---Available
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions---May 10, 2007---Available
    Final Fantasy II---June 7, 2007---Available
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII---September 13, 2007---Not available
    Star Ocean: First Departure---December 27, 2007---Not available
    Star Ocean: Second Evolution---April 2, 2008---Not available
    Space Invaders Extreme---June 17, 2008---Not available
    Dissidia Final Fantasy---December 18, 2008---Available
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy Universal Tuning---November 1, 2009---Available
    Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep---January 9, 2010---Not available
    Lord of Arcana---October 14, 2010---Available
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together---November 11, 2010---Available
    The 3rd Birthday---December 22, 2010---Available
    Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy---March 3, 2011---Available
    Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection---March 24, 2011---Available
    Final Fantasy III---September 20, 2012---Available

On 360/PS3...I'm not going to parse that giant list. Let's just agree that as of say 2008 or so, every single major release they've ever done has also been digital. FF XIII-2/3, X/X2 HD, Thief, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex... you get the picture. The real main point is that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is NOT available. If I'm missing something major, absolutely point it out to me, 'cuz like I said, it's a big list. The only one that comes to mind is the first XIII, which is kinda odd.

Now then, after 2008, almost everything they've done has also had a digital release. Let's look at the outliers. I don't know a damn thing about Space Invaders other than that Wikipedia says it was also a DS game too. Valkyrie Profile is 2006, which I think may be before the big DD push, but we also have the Star Oceans as well. They're also on the edge time wise, but they're also Tri-Ace games, so maybe something funny is going on with them. Now we have Kingdom Hearts, both for the PSP, and the 9 month old 1.5 remix. Both came out well after the DD push, 1.5 especially. What the hell could be so different about them that they get passed over while other S-E games get the pass... other than the fact that both are also co-owned by Disney. And Crisis Core... I'm tempted to concede that. The ONLY thing that could make that even stand out is the fact that Gackt is in it. But we have Tactics and II before it released, and everything after it. There's nothing else special about it that they would just ignore it solely out of incompetence.

So if you wanna put the stick back in, be my guest. I'd just rather try to analyze it first over defaulting to "dey stupid yo". Because WHY exclude these games, other than they must have something special going on with them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    What kind of a licensing agreement allows you to sell a game in stores and remake it for different systems, but not the console online sites? A dumb one I guess, but I'm pretty sure you can get Epic Mickey 2 on digital.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    This kind of got lost in the mix with the big reveals and other excitements going on in E3, but it was confirmed that the 2.5 BBS FM Mirage Arena will NOT have online multiplayer capability via PSN.

It sounds like they are keeping local multiplayer for the Battle Arena, Command Board, and Rumble Racing but I would not be surprised if they scrapped that and stick with Bots for everything to save dev time and resources.

Kind of bummed about this, but then I remember we are getting arguably the best two games in the series in HD for ~$40 so I will let it go.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
    You SHOULD be bummed. MGS HD Collection went full on online multiplayer when that became important in Peace Walker. This is lazy... and some of that stuff is scaled to multiple people, I could tell from soloing it...

edited June 2014
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You SHOULD be bummed. MGS HD Collection went full on online multiplayer when that became important in Peace Walker. This is lazy... and some of that stuff is scaled to multiple people, I could tell from soloing it...

Basically, Square Enix is absurdly lazy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Been playing a file of re:COM again on 1.5 Remix.

Sora currently has a deck set up to use Lethal Frame 3 times, followed by Tornado, Wind Raid Judgement, a few Sonic Blades, Firaga Burst, and Spark Reflect Raid. And then Gifted Miracle. And then Elixir at the end of the second cycle.

If I had to give it a name, it'd be "Screw You, Riku Fights."

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    ZOE 2 IIRC. And that game only had split-screen MP originally!

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

How incredible would it be if KHIII had a playable Kairi and Aqua was her Keyblade Master?

And they both visited Frozen world.

Ah, I shouldn't dream this early....I know it's going to take a million years to come out.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The only way I'd forgive Aqua not being playable in KH3 is if Kairi was playable with Aqua's gameplay style.

Wha? I can't get your meaning here. Zone of the Enders is a different series than MGS. If you mean that that HD Collection ALSO had online... is that true? I didn't bother checking that out if so.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Wha? I can't get your meaning here. Zone of the Enders is a different series than MGS. If you mean that that HD Collection ALSO had online... is that true? I didn't bother checking that out if so.
    I know peace walker does, but it had online on the PSP originally, if I recall.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »

I know peace walker does, but it had online on the PSP originally, if I recall.

Peace Walker PSP did not have Online. You could use AdHoc Party on PS3 to do Online play tough.
    The HD version has full and beautiful Online.

Also, remember that the Zone of the Enders HD collection got patched on PS3 and instead of being shit and worse than the PS2 version, it's now godlike.

So, an interview with 2.3/3's co-director happened:

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/3702-talking-frozen-philosophy-more-with-kingdom-hearts-2-5-3-s-co-director

I can't get more hyped for 2.5 knowing they're rerecording the music for 2. Also, holy shit, they recorded all of the music for 1.5 in one day because they only had the concert hall for that long.

Man, I cannot wait to get my hands on II Final Mix.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Hooray for Christmas Town outfits!

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And suddenly the Unversed are reddish instead of blue. Huh.

Renzo wrote: »

Final Mix. This happened in KH1 and KHII, as well.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Damn...KH2 still looks good

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Enlong wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

Final Mix. This happened in KH1 and KHII, as well.
    As long as it doesn't change every fucking heartless to be YELLOW, I'll be good.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Birth By Sleep looks good in HD.

I wonder why the hd/sd comparison had Aqua with different Keyblades. I recall BBS having it so that your keyblade showed up as whichever one you had equipped.

Really really love this cover

image.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I like how Xehanort just looks like a goblin.

M A G I K A Z A M
    They forgot Kairi and non-Data Riku.

Enlong wrote: »
    They forgot Kairi

So does the game, so I guess don't worry about it?

I finally got into Dream Drop Distance. It took forever because that game probably has the least intuitive/most bizarre opening of the series. The big new additions (Pokemon party members, a pointless game timer before a forced character switch, and QTE's tied to simple environmental interactions) AREN'T that crazy, they're just presented in a terribly unintuitive way. At the start of the game, I was trying to use the CPP AND the stylus (for reality shifts) all at once, while also trying to figure out how to fuse with monsters and what that meant and what the colors on the Drop meter mean and... ugh.

Now that I'm deep in, I can give it a fair assessment. The monsters are an unnecessary layer of cruft, Disney party members and a KH1/2 ability level up screen are a much better fit for the series overall. Still, once you learn they're basically a limit break/second XP bar to get better abilities, you can start ignoring them properly and get back to playing the game like it's Birth By Sleep (because it basically is).

The drop system is a dumb way to try to avoid the rambling three games that keep repeating structure of BBS while still using worlds multiple times. On the plus side, Sora and Riku both have decent trips to each world, they don't feel as meaninglessly brief or endlessly repetitive as the three trips from BBS did. On the minus side, the drop meter is just dumb. So basically, you set a second command deck that all it has in it is "Drop Me Not." If you want to beat the world you're in before switching, simply switch to that when your meter is about to enter bonus time and use one. You will never run out, even if you don't bother to buy any. If they were going to do this, it would have been more interesting for one character to hit a road block and then you could either explore elsewhere or drop right away to the other guy who would then clear the blockage. Make the fact that they're both on basically the same trail interesting to gameplay rather than some lorey bullshit.

The Reality Shifts and environment thing are decent super attacks, although the environment interactions are occasionally WAY too sticky. In the one courtyard boss battle in Traverse Town (as Sora), I was continuously smashing into walls and lamp posts and whatever continuously unable to land and use a Cure. The ability to jump up walls endlessly (by dashing into them) makes platforming a useless joke, it's weird that they did that.

As far as the plot, it's more immediately entertaining than BBS'... BS but on the other hand the lore additions are frighteningly fan pandering.
    Every guy you killed is back! As a human! With a name stupider than you'd believe possible! Also they look the same! And Axel even DRESSES the same! So he doesn't need a new character model, That's convenient!

Oh and remember the non-sensical data worlds from Re:Coded? Now they're umm important somehow. Yeah...

At this rate, Roxas is going to come to life as a real boy and get yaoi married with Axel.

It also has the non-spoilery KH problem (since 2 it's gotten worse and worse) of lifeless worlds that contain 3-4 characters max. Party scenes with a single person and no music. Enemies that supposedly lead an enemy faction but aw fuck it that'd be work to depict, so they use exclusively Dream Eaters now.

On the humorous side, this was a Disney game that had to awkwardly explain a racist genocide attempt as part of its plot... without saying so in quite those words. Heck... considering Tron Legacy world, they kind of had to do that twice!

edited July 2014
    I think it would have been really cool to have grown up with KH, rather than played the games as an adult. As a kid you'll likely miss all the dark genocide themes that are quietly swept under the rug, all the hard morality questions where sora's answer is to be oblivious. It'd be interesting to then come back to the game as an adult and go 'wait... what?'.

LD50 on
    Oh and remember the non-sensical data worlds from Re:Coded? Now they're umm important somehow. Yeah...
    My guess is that having a living map of a bunch of worlds is a very nice tool for a would-be conqueror of worlds (Maleficent) to have. You know: knowledge of the layout of each place, information on each world's inhabitants and defenders, recordings of how and why previous invasions went wrong (it is a recording of the first game, after all). I can imagine the heroes coming home after defeating the Xehanort threat, to find that Maleficent has been very busy in their absence.

As for Nobodies returning, well, we knew that since re:coded. Perhaps even since BBS, as there was no way, in a narrative sense, that we'd have BBS set up Xehanort as the villain to beat, only to go "oh wait, right, Sora killed him already, before anyone in the present day learned anything interesting about him."

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cross posting from SA, too good not to share. Spoiler'd for huge:
    Xavier434 wrote:
    You need to swap the current faces on the cover with Xehanort. All of the faces. Everything is Xehanort. That is the surprise ending in KHIII.
    hPO2VWN.jpg

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think it would have been really cool to have grown up with KH, rather than played the games as an adult. As a kid you'll likely miss all the dark genocide themes that are quietly swept under the rug, all the hard morality questions where sora's answer is to be oblivious. It'd be interesting to then come back to the game as an adult and go 'wait... what?'.

I played the first game in high school. They're... not as deep as you're hoping. The main problem being Mickey is presented as an avatar of the Power of Friendship morality but then completely disregards the Nobodies as living beings. Properly written, he would have questioned this because he's FUCKING MICKEY MOUSE.

It's mostly Yen Sid, and Sora (by extension) who do that. Well, DiZ as well, but he has the narrative excuse of being revenge-blind.

For Mickey in particular, I don't recall him spreading much of the "Nobodies don't even have hearts" rhetoric. Heck, he's the first one to mention who Xemnas really is behind that veneer. I mostly just remember him fighting because the Nobodies in question are, you know, heading an organization whose goals seem to be spreading Heartless and ruing peoples' lives. They may be living beings, but that ain't cool.