As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Anybody know when the November 3DS update hits? There doesn't seem to be any specific info on what day this month.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    there is no specific info on what day this month

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    poo

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    They said it would be near the end of November, right? So you can expect it in the second week of December.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I impulse bought Pokemon Rumble, and it's pretty fun so far. Where can find the list of pokemon I've caught so far? Is it a menu or in the Toy Town?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    So I impulse bought Pokemon Rumble, and it's pretty fun so far. Where can find the list of pokemon I've caught so far? Is it a menu or in the Toy Town?

In toy town, there's a place that looks like a...crown? all the way up at the top. It'll list out what you've seen, and what you have captured.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I LOVE Rumble Blast but have no intention of skipping Mario Land. If the decision must be made right now, think about how long it will be until you can buy another game.

(Spoilers for game length of Mario Land and Pokemon Rumble Blast. I don't know how sensitive people are to spoilers on Mario!)
    Mario Land appears to be under 20 hours for completion and Rumble Blast is at least double that (and more if you "gotta catch em all".

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Well...y'know those stars on your save file in the NSMB games? Beat the game, collect every big coin, etc.? We now have information on Mario 3D Land's star system, translated from Japanese.
    ★:All 'front' levels cleared (Finish the Castle in W8 and save the princess)
    ★★:All the 'front' levels cleared from W1-1 to W8-Castle.
    ★★★:All the special levels cleared (finishing W8-Castle 2 after W8-Castle)
    ★★★★:Collect all 285 medals from the levels.
    ★★★★★:All ´front´and special levels completed with Golden flags + finishing the game with Mario and Luigi.

If you clear the game without dying 5 times in a level, the stars will be rainbow-colored.

When you get all 5 stars, you also unlock a special stage that's apparently the most difficult one in the whole game, by far.

I'm not sure why the above info says 285 coins, others have been saying they found an even 300, which implies 100 coin-bearing levels.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    Well...y'know those stars on your save file in the NSMB games? Beat the game, collect every big coin, etc.? We now have information on Mario 3D Land's star system, translated from Japanese.
    ★★★★★:All ´front´and special levels completed with Golden flags + finishing the game with Mario and Luigi.

If you clear the game without dying 5 times in a level, the stars will be rainbow-colored.

This is the sort of thing that makes me obsessive. I tend to be a completest. It would be the same with me and the Pokemon Rumble game though, I'd have to catch em all.

So I guess the big question is, is this going to play more like Mario64, or more like Galaxy? I watched a friend play Galaxy and it looked like I could handle that, whereas Mario64 for me was unbeatable. I thought maybe it was an age factor so when my friend got the DS version of Mario64 I tried it again and nope, I just really suck at it.

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You'd have to give us some kind of an idea what you think is different between the 64 and Galaxy because they play pretty damn similar.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I LOVE Rumble Blast but have no intention of skipping Mario Land. If the decision must be made right now, think about how long it will be until you can buy another game.

(Spoilers for game length of Mario Land and Pokemon Rumble Blast. I don't know how sensitive people are to spoilers on Mario!)
    Mario Land appears to be under 20 hours for completion and Rumble Blast is at least double that (and more if you "gotta catch em all".

Really? This is good news. I thought Rumble Blast would be under 10 hours?

I ended up getting Rumble Blast, knowing that I'd have to hold off for SML3D. :(

Still, Rumble Blast is awesome and I'm enjoying it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    You've seen the gameplay videos?

From what I've seen, it's more like Galaxy in that you have constrained, linear levels where the challenge is mostly traditional platforming, as opposed to Mario 64's exploration in wide open spaces. Except, more so, and without the whole planetoid gravity issues. Plus the level design means camera issues are pretty much nonexistent and the 3D helps in depth perception, which is taken advantage of quite a lot.

It looks like gameplay is halfway between Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros, though, really. It's almost 2D platformer design with an additional D.

• Options
    Nintendo has said that part of their intent with this game is to get the people who like 2D Marios to start enjoying 3D Marios (which sell somewhat less than the 2D ones).

And I've read that in working toward that goal, the game transitions from linear 2D-Mario-like levels at the start to more open world format levels toward the end. Not sure how true that is, or if it really makes much of a difference.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm not sure why the above info says 285 coins, others have been saying they found an even 300, which implies 100 coin-bearing levels.
    You can get Star Coins from bonus stages on the map as well.
    Nintendo has said that part of their intent with this game is to get the people who like 2D Marios to start enjoying 3D Marios (which sell somewhat less than the 2D ones).

And I've read that in working toward that goal, the game transitions from linear 2D-Mario-like levels at the start to more open world format levels toward the end. Not sure how true that is, or if it really makes much of a difference.
    I don't think I can speak to that, specifically, but by the end of World 5, it unfortunately goes from "beat a level, move on to the next level" to "you need x amount of Star Coins to enter this level."

By the way, there's a Super Mario 3D Land thread going on now, if anyone wants to participate. A new Mario game is still big enough to warrant its own thread, right?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    anoffday wrote:

Really? This is good news. I thought Rumble Blast would be under 10 hours?

I ended up getting Rumble Blast, knowing that I'd have to hold off for SML3D. :(

Still, Rumble Blast is awesome and I'm enjoying it.

His playtime's a bit inflated because he's trying to get everything to drop in every area as he's playing in. If you just try to blaze through the story 10 hours seems generous.

Of course, trying to get everything to drop is part of the replayability, so if you're after that you shouldn't have any issues.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You can beat Rumble Blast in under ten hours, but you can't do everything in under fifty most likely.

Still can't believe this one wasn't online though.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

This is the sort of thing that makes me obsessive. I tend to be a completest. It would be the same with me and the Pokemon Rumble game though, I'd have to catch em all.

So I guess the big question is, is this going to play more like Mario64, or more like Galaxy? I watched a friend play Galaxy and it looked like I could handle that, whereas Mario64 for me was unbeatable. I thought maybe it was an age factor so when my friend got the DS version of Mario64 I tried it again and nope, I just really suck at it.

Mario 64 is pretty ridiculously easy compared to Galaxy if you play it with a decent controller (read: Not a DS). Here are videos of a guy 100% it playing with his feet.

I always hated the whole too many deaths means no rainbow star though, caused way too many resets while I tried to learn some of the tougher levels in recent games. Don't think I'll bother with it at all this time.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yesssss taste the rainbow.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Z0re wrote:

I did alright with the DS controls; if I'm not mistaken, they did actually tweak the game a bit to compensate for it.

Regardless, I would still love to see a full remake of SM64DS on a home console with updated graphics, and everything from SM64DS. Maybe in HD on Wii U?

Needs to happen.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:

I did alright with the DS controls; if I'm not mistaken, they did actually tweak the game a bit to compensate for it.

Regardless, I would still love to see a full remake of SM64DS on a home console with updated graphics, and everything from SM64DS. Maybe in HD on Wii U?

Needs to happen.

Luigi more than compensated for having to use the digital controls or the thumbstrap (remember that?).

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:

Needs to happen.

Luigi more than compensated for having to use the digital controls or the thumbstrap (remember that?).

no joke, I have that thumbstrap attached to my 3DS right now. still works, too!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I picked the nub off my thumbstrap the day I got it, thought it was an imperfection.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does the analog stick help with Mario 64 DS? I actually thought about re-buying it to give it another shot. For the record - I've never played more than an hour into Mario64 on any console so there's still plenty of unexplored game for me.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I was one of the few who didn't have trouble playing Mario 64 DS with the d-pad so I imagine the analog stick will work fine. It won't be the same as the analog controls in the original though.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Does the analog stick help with Mario 64 DS? I actually thought about re-buying it to give it another shot. For the record - I've never played more than an hour into Mario64 on any console so there's still plenty of unexplored game for me.

I doubt it but I've never actually tried. The problem with M64DS is that it can't map those movements accurately so while I'm sure it works ok, it probably doesn't work any better than the d-pad.

As for remaking SM64DS, I dunno. I do really appreciate what they added to that game in the DS version (which was quite a bit), but overall SM64 has never been my favorite game. It feels like a lot of it relies too much on the "oo it's 3d!" wow factor than actual interesting level design. Also the powerups are worthless aside from wing cap. Metal and Invisible are pretty much used for a couple *very* specific "puzzles" and that's it. Real shame.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    Got my first ever StreetPass yesterday, from a Russian lady on the train from Brussels, no less.

Small world...

In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    A+ for that avatar.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Still have yet to get a street pass outside of my friend who owns one. I really need to go hang out at a GameStop and meet some kids.

Uhh, that sounds worse and worse as I type it.

Either way, I want to get the other four puzzles before they drop the new ones in the update. I've got 300 play coins and nothing to spend them on.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I got like 80 street passes at Blizzcon. Too bad all the street pass updates didn't come before then :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote:

I doubt it but I've never actually tried. The problem with M64DS is that it can't map those movements accurately so while I'm sure it works ok, it probably doesn't work any better than the d-pad.

I found it worked rather well, but it's still not like playing the N64 version, since you still have to hold a button to run...

Actually, if anything, that makes it more like Super Mario 3D Land.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Wow, Super Mario 3D Land comes out the 13th. Not seeing much hype.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    From where? It's been hyped plenty in this thread and a number of threads at other forums, regular news leaks, an average of 9/10 scoring from reviews. Lot of people are pretty well hyped, it along with MK7 are the two games a lot of people were waiting for to make the 3DS worth it to them.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I am not seeing as much TV hype though. I would have thought we would be seeing allot more commercials for it. But, it seems Nintendo does not get as much airtime as it used to.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, there generally aren't many game commercials on TV anyway. They made a pretty cool commercial for Mario 3DS though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5r0OlSXcI

Also not Mario related, but I just posted this in the VG industry thread but it belongs here too - I'm really jealous of Europe, who are getting this on Nov. 25th:

2FAy3.jpg

More:
    ZjWx7.jpg
    B4cSv.jpg
    VBlPk.jpg
    UTFgl.jpg
    CD04f.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Wow, that is the sex.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    #Drools#

Such a thing of beauty!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...oh dear. And I had been wondering whether to get a 3DS or not. I believe this could well settle it. I mean, I don't particularly want OoT again, having beat it like six times at the absolute least, but that thing is beautiful, and I was going to end up having to buy a 3DS if they ever announced that the new Monster Hunters would be coming to EU-land (or somone hacked the regionlocking so I could import) in any case.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    God dammit... that is pretty awesome... wish one of those cool special edition things would come out at launch for once :(

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Too bad I just bought and started playing Zelda. Oh well.

• Options
    Oh, that 3DS is gorgeous...

And Krathoon, I know what you mean about the hype... for some reason, despite everything, this just feels lower-key than past releases. I can't quite put my finger on why, though...

This discussion has been closed.