Options

Lets talk Horror Movies!

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Also Let Me In was as good as the original if not better.

People who think it's bad are objectively wrong.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    I really enjoyed Dee Snider's Strangeland. It was a "realistic" plot with fairly realisitic people. It certainly falls into "this shit could happen" territory.

I also like that that bad guy isn't a total pussy who gets his ass kicked everytime he he goes after someone. He really is dangerous, and you should stay away from him. Favorite line had to be "It's easy to be hard from behind your momma's skirt".

That always bugged me about Scream; Ghost Face insta-killed every male victim, but if the victim was a woman, he got his ass handed to him everytime.

Given that Scream was a satire of slasher flicks, it didn't bother me that much. Guys always get instakilled by the killer. The survivor is usually a girl, who somehow savagely kicks his shit in and then "kills" him.

Yeah, but in Scream, every girl beats his ass.

Wife and I watched it on BD after not having seen it since it came out. It's aged pretty well, and I liked it a lot more than when it first came out. I don't know if thats because of the steady stream of crap released since, or if it's because I hated it when it came out for bucking the slasher trend and have since come to appreciate what it did.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Paranormal Activity 3 was pretty good but definately the weaker of the 3. But that tends to be the thing with all prequels. There are too many rules for the story set by the sequential movies that makes them pretty cookie cutter. Granted 3 doesn't really tie up any of the loose ends and "the last 15 minutes will mess you up for life" yeah...I thought it fell kinda flat. The ending to Activity 2 on the other hand was just brutal in the suddenness of it.

Thanks to TVTropes I now can't watch Event Horizon the same again. When you break down what happened to the Event Horizon and how the forces of Chaos and the Warp work in Warhammer 40k. It makes Event Horizon the unofficial prequel to the entire Warhammer 40k universe. Warhammer 2k if you will. the stories really do sync up that well.

I still to this day think that my favorite sub genre of Horror is the Slasher Film. The 80s icons were favorites growing up and if you haven't seen them. Hatchet 1/2 and the first Laid to Rest are great modern slashers that are/feel like true homages and successors to the slasher film genre.

Let's not make any snap judgements now.

If I was a mod here I would ban you for this.

Terrible, just terrible.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Other terrible horror films: Bug; Haute Tension; pretty much every recent horror movie made.

Bug is objectively fantastic. There is no question. It is a fact.

Speaking of recent horror movies, I happened to read this article today suggesting the top 25 of the last decade.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm curious as to how Bug was objectively fantastic, since the acting was terrible, and there was no sense of tension, and the characters were terribly written and..

Just ugh. Both a waste of time and money.

adytum on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote:
    SammyF wrote:
    Even the first iteration of the film glossed over a lot of the more-interesting, disturbing and original stuff from the book.
    Eli's sexual identity as a castrated boy, the caretaker Hakan's history as a pedophile and his own predatory desire for Eli.

The American version glosses over this stuff, but moreso.
    I have to say, I didn't find the first of those all that interesting - what does it matter to Eli or to Oscar? The second and third too - I didn't feel that they added all that much to the characters, since they were well defined through what they said and their actions. Perhaps it'd be different if I'd first read the novel and then seen the film, but as it is I think that the film is an improvement on the source material in most if not all respects. (Having said that, I read the novel in the German translation, so some of what I didn't like all that much may have been down to the translation.)

How is it not an important plot development when
    Hakan rises from the dead, seeks out, imprisons and rapes Eli?

Whether you're talking about the kids who bully Oskar, the townsfolk whom Eli preys upon, Eli's history and sexual identity or the relationship between Eli and Hakan, the entire narrative is about predators and victims and how anyone can be slotted into either role at any given time. You lose a pretty significant chunk of that by eliminating or eliding over the parts of the story where Eli is the victim.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Astaereth wrote:
    adytum wrote:
    Other terrible horror films: Bug; Haute Tension; pretty much every recent horror movie made.

Speaking of recent horror movies, I happened to read this article today suggesting the top 25 of the last decade.

I don't know, Human Centipede? The Mist (ugh)? And they have both Let Me In and Let The Right One In on that list. Are War of The Worlds or A History of Violence even remotely horror-related?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Weren't they going to make a sequel to the Silent Hill movie? I thought Silent Hill was one of the better videogame movies.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    The Mist was especially good in black & white.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    To be honest, I don't remember anything other than the first of these - which might be down to the job the translator did. For me, Hakan's 'development' in the novel came across as grotesque and silly, so whatever thematic resonance it may have had was replaced by me thinking, "This reads like bad Stephen King. What happened to the subtle, eerie storytelling and characterisation?"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I just watched The Last Exorcism. I liked it. Was tense!

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Weren't they going to make a sequel to the Silent Hill movie? I thought Silent Hill was one of the better videogame movies.
    It is in post-production right now, I believe.

The stills I have seen look good and the director knows that the music and atmosphere were the best parts of the first film and is looking to improve on the character development and writing.

Sean Bean and Rhada Mitchell are reprising their roles, too.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Asiina wrote:
    Magus` wrote:
    Paranormal Activity 3 was pretty good but definately the weaker of the 3. But that tends to be the thing with all prequels. There are too many rules for the story set by the sequential movies that makes them pretty cookie cutter. Granted 3 doesn't really tie up any of the loose ends and "the last 15 minutes will mess you up for life" yeah...I thought it fell kinda flat. The ending to Activity 2 on the other hand was just brutal in the suddenness of it.

Thanks to TVTropes I now can't watch Event Horizon the same again. When you break down what happened to the Event Horizon and how the forces of Chaos and the Warp work in Warhammer 40k. It makes Event Horizon the unofficial prequel to the entire Warhammer 40k universe. Warhammer 2k if you will. the stories really do sync up that well.

I still to this day think that my favorite sub genre of Horror is the Slasher Film. The 80s icons were favorites growing up and if you haven't seen them. Hatchet 1/2 and the first Laid to Rest are great modern slashers that are/feel like true homages and successors to the slasher film genre.

Let's not make any snap judgements now.

If I was a mod here I would ban you for this.

Terrible, just terrible.

That's what I get for throwing myself out there.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Astaereth wrote:
    adytum wrote:

I don't know, Human Centipede? The Mist (ugh)? And they have both Let Me In and Let The Right One In on that list. Are War of The Worlds or A History of Violence even remotely horror-related?

Anyone who lists Human Centipede as one of the best anythings of anywhen loses all credibility. And Bug was stupid, boring, and poorly acted. And no, History of Violence and War of the Worlds are not horror movies by any sane definition. I'm tempted to make a Top 25 List of Things That Are Wrong With That Stupid List because it is just so terrible.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That article called Pulse the best horror movie of this decade...?

yeah, what the hell is with War of the Worlds and History of Violence on there.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote:
    adytum wrote:

Wait... are you saying you didn't like The Mist?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Horror movies that aren't labeled as horror movies: Cube. 8 MM. Jaws.

• Options
    Is Dark City a horror movie? I kinda think it partly is.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Astaereth wrote:
    adytum wrote:

Anyone who lists Human Centipede as one of the best anythings of anywhen loses all credibility. And Bug was stupid, boring, and poorly acted. And no, History of Violence and War of the Worlds are not horror movies by any sane definition. I'm tempted to make a Top 25 List of Things That Are Wrong With That Stupid List because it is just so terrible.

Seriously. And further more, if you're going to expand your definition of horror to include War of the Worlds and History of Violence, and then NOT put the Road on your list, that's just insanity.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Wait... are you saying you didn't like The Mist?

yes

well, I liked the ending

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Dark City is more of a mystery suspense?

I think is close, but not quite.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Dark City is more of a mystery suspense?

I think is close, but not quite.

Yeah, I agree. Just reading that article made me wonder what other movies outside the genre could be considered horror. I'd go for that over fucking War of the fucking Worlds. (note: dark city is a 90s movie, but popped into my head.)

Is Pulse good? I haven't seen it but the reviews are really bad.

That list should've had Trick R Treat. That movie is great. I watch it every Halloween now.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My favorite horror movies include Pulp Fiction, Harvey, and Austin Powers. Just the first Austin Powers, though, the later ones just turned into mindless slasher flicks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote:
    My favorite horror movies include Pulp Fiction, Harvey, and Austin Powers. Just the first Austin Powers, though, the later ones just turned into mindless slasher flicks.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the acid scene and later reveal.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Isn't Bug the movie that was made after the director tried withdrawing from heroine?

• Options
    Pulse squandered a good premise with horrible actors and stupid writing.

The Japanese version is good, though.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Jaws is definitely a horror film in my mind.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Oh, there was an American remake of Pulse. Okay, that makes sense. Because the premise sounded really familiar, but I didn't remember it being all in Japanese and I thought I was going crazy.

The American version was fine. Not great, not bad, just fine.

• Options

I would call Jaws horror. Monster-horror, if you want to sub-genre it, like The Birds and all the crappy monster movies from the 50s (though Jaws was actually good). It's just not particularly scary (also like The Birds and all the crappy monster movies from the 50s).

• Options
    Thirith wrote:
    SammyF wrote:
    To be honest, I don't remember anything other than the first of these - which might be down to the job the translator did. For me, Hakan's 'development' in the novel came across as grotesque and silly, so whatever thematic resonance it may have had was replaced by me thinking, "This reads like bad Stephen King. What happened to the subtle, eerie storytelling and characterisation?"

That's interesting. I wonder if there was a little bit of judgmentalism in the translator's approach to Hakan. I don't read Swedish, either, so I can't say for certain whether Lindqvist maintained the same atmosphere for every character or section of the book. This being a film thread as opposed to a book thread, however, it seems more relevant to say that the director and screenplay writer could have chosen to pursue those elements of the narrative in a way that preserved the eerie, snow-muffled loneliness of the rest of story, but they choose for whatever reason to make Eli's sexual identity an afterthought and made Hakan a grandfatherly caretaker. I think that's disappointing for a couple of reasons. First, those are elements which helps to separate this vampire story from the tired vampire romance stereotypes. Second (and more relevant to the ending of the movie),
    since Oskar ultimately becomes Eli's new human companion, all of those elements of Hakan's character which are supposed to be disturbing are supposed to make us feel disturbed likewise as we wonder how closely Oskar's future will parallel Hakan's.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote:

I would call Jaws horror. Monster-horror, if you want to sub-genre it, like The Birds and all the crappy monster movies from the 50s (though Jaws was actually good). It's just not particularly scary (also like The Birds and all the crappy monster movies from the 50s).

Most of it isn't, no. But if the (true!) story of the crashed WWII plane in the ocean didn't give you chills, something has got to be wrong with you.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    ElJeffe wrote:

Most of it isn't, no. But if the (true!) story of the crashed WWII plane in the ocean didn't give you chills, something has got to be wrong with you.

It wasn't a plane, it was U.S.S. Indianapolis. There's a movie strictly about that event -- Mission of the Shark. NOTE: It's in my queue, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't recommend one way or the other.

SammyF on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    28 Days Later

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm happy. i was able to pick up Trick r Treat on Bluray at KMart the other day for $9.99. I had to go shopping with family, otherwise I never would have set foot in the place.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Nice, that was a good pick.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I see that list named "House of the Devil" as one of the top 25

I admit I liked the movie but at no point was I scared. The film makers deserve credit for nailing the feel mid-late 70s horror, from the soundtrack to how the film was shot, angles and tricks that you see in movies of that period. Scary.. No it reminded me of Susperia.. which I have no idea why anyone thinks that movie is scary.

but check out "House of the Devil" anyways

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Man, how many movie's capture Cosmic Horror like Event Horizon?

It makes me want to play Amnesia again.

....Almost.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Man, how many movie's capture Cosmic Horror like Event Horizon?

It makes me want to play Amnesia again.

....Almost.

makes me want to see a good HP lovecraft movie set in space.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SammyF wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

It wasn't a plane, it was U.S.S. Indianapolis. There's a movie strictly about that event -- Mission of the Shark. NOTE: It's in my queue, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't recommend one way or the other.

Whoops, my bad. Been a while since I last watched Jaws :P

The story itself is worth reading about, and very unsettling with or without a movie to go with it.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    28 days later was pretty bleh to me. some of the stuff was very contrived, and the movie seemed to want to focus more on the human interaction in the camp which just wasn't very interesting. Dawn of the dead was much more enjoyable zombie movie, though at times it felt more like an action/humor movie than an actual horror movie.