As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    I realized I was bitching about the 300x5 and never said if I did it. I did, I threw up in my mouth a little bit but I did it.

Also fuck rack pulls. They hit my sticking point, which is why I do them, but it's so much easier for me to get acceleration off the floor than to start at the knees.

Nice work on the 300x5. A good square lift.

Where's your sticking point on deads? Knees or lockout?

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Also holy crap, I cut out dairy as part of the new years thing and I've been eating a lot cleaner and I'm down 5 lbs. Kinda nuts, I definitely dont feel like I've lost much if any strength. I just cut out a LOT of sugar, still eating like crazy.

E-mail sent to Gant Grimes Big L.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Bleh. Bench this morning just made me sad. Last week my final set I did 180x3, this week barely did 180x1 :(
    I must have tired my chest out from all that flexing for ladies this weekend.

I have to go back after work to get my run in because the dumb train got me here too late to do everything I wanted to.

I AM A BARREL OF JOY THIS MORNING

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Have a wank. That'll cheer you up! Getting paid to beat it, woo!

• Options
    My arms are too tired for that.

Nothing's coming up milhouse :(

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Thanks. It makes me feel like a bitch that I can single like crazy but 5 reps turns me into a little crying baby.

My sticking point's lockout for sure, if I get stuck it's right above my knees. I figured rack pulls would be an ok idea because I could focus on driving my hips through to reinforce the motion and also to try to get my lazy butthams into shape. If you have some island magic I'd love to hear it.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Romanian Deadlifts can be a good way to get that butt into shape, and the motion is entirely about hip drive.

• Options
    My problem with RDLs is that I'm usually too wiped after regular deadlifts to give a good effort. You're right though, I should throw them into my bench day like I've been meaning to.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Bad day here as well. Damn muscles slacking off

• Options
    Peen wrote:
    My problem with RDLs is that I'm usually too wiped after regular deadlifts to give a good effort. You're right though, I should throw them into my bench day like I've been meaning to.

I currently do them on my DL day, but I was thinking of making it an accessory lift on a Squat day instead. I do tend to fry myself out when I do them on the same day.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the guy who runs my gym made me use the bumper plates for deadlifts because he was like, i bought them last week so people make less noise doing them

then i had to do all the math because things were in kg

and it also kind of threw me off how if i didnt bring it down slow enough it bounced and threw off my position

i liked using the clangy metal plates more

poo
  • Options
    A duck! wrote:
    Peen wrote:

I currently do them on my DL day, but I was thinking of making it an accessory lift on a Squat day instead. I do tend to fry myself out when I do them on the same day.

I tried them on deadlift day but I'd like to do them for lower weight and higher reps like a good accessory should be and I'm just pooped after serious deadlifting. It's actually easier for me to do higher weight but lower rep rack pulls as an accessory on DL days just because it takes less overall effort.

Also these sweet barbell shrugs I've been doing seem to have some carryover for my deadlift, which I didn't expect but is sweet.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    Romanian Deadlifts can be a good way to get that butt into shape, and the motion is entirely about hip drive.

I've always wanted to work on my flabby butt, so deadlifts are the way to go?

What about the chest (pecs)? The only exercise I know of is butterflies, and I never seem to do them correctly.

• Options
    Played around with chins using fat grips on the bar today. Kinda awesome.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    A duck! wrote:

What about the chest (pecs)? The only exercise I know of is butterflies, and I never seem to do them correctly.

If you want a sweet can do Deadlifts, Lunges and Step Ups. You'll have an ass in no time. As for chest, Dumbbell Bench Press and Dips are the way to go. Throw in some Incline Bench to round out the chest.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cycling is also good to build butt muscle!

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:

Squats are good for a big ole booty too.

Chest: Bench press, variations thereof, push-ups, dips. Pretty much anything where you're pushing weight out in front of your torso.

But don't neglect your back, or you'll look like you've got a hunch.

At this point, you're probably better off following one of the programs mentioned in reply to you earlier than making your own. After a while, when you've got a better feel for what you can do and more general exercise knowledge from reading stuff, then go hogwild and make up your own program.

or just make up your own program from the start, if you really want to. But if you change what you're doing every 3 days, you'll get made fun of like Hamm did. :D

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    As long as you pull through the upstroke!

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    As long as you pull through the upstroke!

Huh? Isn't that more hip flexors and abs?

• Options
    Frat GuiseFrat Guise Registered User regular
    You deadlift for back strength, you squat* for glutes. Bench for pecs, but (if your shoulders don't mind) dips are quite useful too.

*with full range of motion

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i am pleased to report that while i am sore, i am functioning

going downstairs was the only danger today

also, my pfw class is a glorified health class with like 8 days of designated activity so i don't have to worry about working out five days a week wooo

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Okay, I gotta brag for a sec here. Please don't mind my gloating.

So for the past two years Ive been piecing together a home gym with bits I find on craigslist and miscellaneous sales and freebies.
    Today I just got a free olympic width parabody-ish quality bench that adjusts to an OHP setting, and a decent bar.

So now, my set up has:
    A 10 foot by 10 foot jiujitsu mat space.
    A 100 lb muay thai bag.
    A speed bag.
    A TRX suspension kit.
    A parabody powercage.
    An olympic bench.
    2 bars
    30, 40 and 50 lb kettles.
    And a good amount of weight.

Pretty awesome considering I started with some shitty dusty old sand weights, a bar I needed a tiny wrench to take weight off or add it on and some ropes draped over a support beam for rows.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    i am pleased to report that while i am sore, i am functioning

going downstairs was the only danger today

also, my pfw class is a glorified health class with like 8 days of designated activity so i don't have to worry about working out five days a week wooo

Haha.

At my old gym, the treadmills and bikes were upstairs.

After doing legs and then bike, it was always dangerous trying to make way back down the stairs.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Okay, I gotta brag for a sec here. Please don't mind my gloating.

So for the past two years Ive been piecing together a home gym with bits I find on craigslist and miscellaneous sales and freebies.
    Today I just got a free olympic width parabody-ish quality bench that adjusts to an OHP setting, and a decent bar.

So now, my set up has:
    A 10 foot by 10 foot jiujitsu mat space.
    A 100 lb muay thai bag.
    A speed bag.
    A TRX suspension kit.
    A parabody powercage.
    An olympic bench.
    2 bars
    30, 40 and 50 lb kettles.
    And a good amount of weight.

Pretty awesome considering I started with some shitty dusty old sand weights, a bar I needed a tiny wrench to take weight off or add it on and some ropes draped over a support beam for rows.

This is pretty cool. One day when I have space I'm probably gonna try and make a home gym so I don't have to wait for a squat rack ever again.

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    So, guys, in an effort to train for something I'm planning to take up Rugby. Any ideas on a training routine? I'm going to do some more focus on power movements, like cleans, but beyond that I really don't know what to do aside from Bench, DL, Squat and Press.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    You could try some push presses. I'm only saying that because I wanna leave this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxQFmRlKaY&t=0m20s

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Uncle Long wrote:
    So, guys, in an effort to train for something I'm planning to take up Rugby. Any ideas on a training routine? I'm going to do some more focus on power movements, like cleans, but beyond that I really don't know what to do aside from Bench, DL, Squat and Press.

lunges should be thrown in

start running

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

I actually did this today.

Got a weird nostalgic trip as I slowly regained my muscle memory in riding a bike. Haven't ridden one in maybe a decade or more.

Surprisingly effective too, as I was pretty sweaty and sore. Sister insists I double the amount of time I use it versus jogging.

I'd like to give dips a shot, but I don't have the equipment featured. Maybe I could try it with a chair or bench?

Also, which are more effective, dips from the front or the back?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I just did some dips with a chair for the first time today. I think the chair was too short though because I don't think I got down as much as I was supposed to. Sets of 20 still did a number though.

Also started multiple sets of deadlifts. I hate sets of deadlifts.

• Options
    Uncle Long wrote:

From my little bit of experience, lunges, power movements, run like crazy ((in cleats on grass if ya can)) and start drinking heavily every day or they're gonna eat ya alive.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    The running and the drinking are the two most important elements

otherwise yeah they are literally going to eat you

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Peen wrote:

Thanks. It makes me feel like a bitch that I can single like crazy but 5 reps turns me into a little crying baby.

My sticking point's lockout for sure, if I get stuck it's right above my knees. I figured rack pulls would be an ok idea because I could focus on driving my hips through to reinforce the motion and also to try to get my lazy butthams into shape. If you have some island magic I'd love to hear it.

Haha, no island magic I'm afraid. Was just curious. My lockout's been poor for the last little while so I'm on a course of rack pulls from 2 inches below the knee, good mornings and general shenanigans with bands. Duck's probably on the money with RDLs, too.
    Uncle Long wrote:

A solid amount of base strength is nice, cleans and push presses, lots of core work, a good amount of steady state cardio and remember that there is a lot of falling (or getting smashed) to the ground and getting back up in rugby. Like, the whole game. So incorporate that into your cardio with down-ups and shuttleruns or a full game will be really tough.

Do you know what position you would like to play in? You might need to start some specific skill training as soon as possible as well.

If you're even more curious, I can send you one of my old coaching/drills DVDs. I'm registered as a coach here so the Rugby Union gives me an updated copy every season for free. Some really good stuff on there.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh and fucking start drinking right away.

Like right now.

Edit: and chessbox, that sounds amazing man. So jealous. I hope you have got the giant ass stereo that a setup like that deserves

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    Uncle Long wrote:

A solid amount of base strength is nice, cleans and push presses, lots of core work, a good amount of steady state cardio and remember that there is a lot of falling (or getting smashed) to the ground and getting back up in rugby. Like, the whole game. So incorporate that into your cardio with down-ups and shuttleruns or a full game will be really tough.

Do you know what position you would like to play in? You might need to start some specific skill training as soon as possible as well.

If you're even more curious, I can send you one of my old coaching/drills DVDs. I'm registered as a coach here so the Rugby Union gives me an updated copy every season for free. Some really good stuff on there.

Thanks! Right now I'm getting between 10-15 miles of just plain-jane running, but if I'm going to reshuffle my gym priorities, I don't see any reason why I can't add more steady-state, and maybe some intervals? I like the suggestion of down-ups and shuttleruns. It reminds me a lot of the drills we used to do in football.

I have no idea what position I want to play, and am just barely able to grasp what the positions do. I think a lot of it will come down to how I fit into whatever team I go in to. Right now I'm a 5'10" 220lb guy and my three big lifts only add up to 1000lbs and my fastest mile is just under 8'00". I do have a good deal of experience with other team sports but I tended to prefer playing football (offensive tackle, tight end, defensive end, linebacker) and wrestling far more than I liked baseball and soccer. So I guess I'd probably be a forward, though I don't know if I have the raw power for it? A lot of unknowns.

Also, PM'd on the DVD.

• Options
    Peen wrote:

Haha, no island magic I'm afraid. Was just curious. My lockout's been poor for the last little while so I'm on a course of rack pulls from 2 inches below the knee, good mornings and general shenanigans with bands. Duck's probably on the money with RDLs, too.

I know for me it's partially a form issue too. If I get tired I get a little sloppy and the bar drifts forward just enough that I lose the drive through my heels and just sorta quad it up. It's sloppy and I know to watch for it but it's tough.

Also it's funny to me how random muscles fire when you're at the outer limits of what you can do. I tried a rack pull of 385 for shits and giggles, didn't get close, but my right pec went crazy and I was like dude what are you doing and it was like what, I'm just trying to help!

• Options
    I tried pulling more than I should have this morning and got the hugest boner. So unhelpful.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    that's awkward

poo
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    It's the largest muscle in the body

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    I should have asked this earlier, but what are some back-strengthening exercises?

I tend to hurt my lower back a lot (most likely the result of videogames and internet...they say not to lean forward, but you just can't help it), and I don't want to fuck myself over once I go heavy on the weights.

So what are some weightlifting routines I can add to keep the back strong?

• Options
    bleh, i've asked this before shazkar, what gym do you go to again?
    we are moving to rockefeller center so i will have to get a new gym, i THINK i'll just go for something like nysc near there so that i can still go run in the park but i figure i might as well ask to see what train lines are near you

dfzn9elrnajf.png
This discussion has been closed.