As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    and there is absolutely nothing on craigslist?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Oh sure there is, none of them are under $150 though, even the ones people probably didn't pay that much for. On top of that, none of them even bother to list important information like dimensions/weight capabilities. I'd love to avoid a "FUCKFUCKFUCK" situation where the bottom of the bench breaks or something.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd say you'd be better off getting something like this an adjustable squat rack and standalone flat bench, rather than one of those sorts of weird do-everything benches. I hate those things

somthing like (i know nothing about the quality of these products, they're just the first I saw)
    http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PSS60X-PowerLine-Squat-Rack/dp/B000VLKOB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1333059651&sr=1-2
    +
    http://www.amazon.com/Apex-JD2-2-Flat-Bench/dp/B000J3MK3S/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1333059722&sr=1-19

that'll cover your needs way better and actually let you squat

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    And snap my budget right over it's knee, too. All I want to know is whether a 6' bar would fit on an Olympic style bench, I've narrowed my choices down to two benches and that knowledge is what will decide which I'd get.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Save up for it. The ability to do squats is worth the extra $110, and the rack+flat bench will give you more versatility

Steam ID
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well either way, these appear to be my best choices. Either http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KV1MIG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=weightbench090c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002KV1MIG or http://www.amazon.com/Competitor-729-Olympic-Weight-Bench/dp/B00245LJX6/ref=sr_1_7?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1332931410&sr=1-7

Both are heavily discounted, both have decent ratings, and both have free shipping. Thank fucking god too, DicksSportingGoods wanted to charge me an extra $40 to ship theirs.

Well the first one specifically says:
    The MCB379 bench system--which accommodates both 5-foot and 6-foot straight bars...

So I assume that one would be fine.

And man, I'm down 7 lbs to 240 after however many more weeks. Eh. I know my diet hasn't exactly been the best for weight loss. Oh well.

• Options
    I can't for the life of me find an answer to my question, either just brings up places to purchase barbells, benches or questions about 7' standard bars. Would probably go for the Marcy anyway over the Competitor, something about the way it adjusts with that bar under the bench makes me feel it wouldn't be as stable as the flatter bar the first one sits on.

Thank you for the suggestions Beef Avenger but I need to get -something- set up. My weight is getting heavier each week, and I don't want to have to do wonky ass shit just to get the bar into position for presses and squats once I'm up into the 50-60 lb range.

• Options
    Thank you for the suggestions Beef Avenger but I need to get -something- set up. My weight is getting heavier each week, and I don't want to have to do wonky ass shit just to get the bar into position for presses and squats once I'm up into the 50-60 lb range.

what? I don't understand. The benches you posted won't let you do squats or presses at all, a squat rack which can adjust down to bench press height would

but its your money

Steam ID
  • Options

what? I don't understand. The benches you posted won't let you do squats or presses at all, a squat rack which can adjust down to bench press height would

but its your money

I need to do seated overhead presses, not normal ones because of the ceiling height in my basement. If I tried doing it standing the plates would bang right into the ceiling.

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Holy shit dude, just start going to a fucking real gym. People already told you to do this and you had some lame excuse that I don't even remember or care about, but going to a gym is not some ridiculous unreasonable hurdle that is impossible to overcome. You can do it. Anyone can do it.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for calling my rather understandable reason for not going to a gym an excuse, being that there isn't one within any kind of realistic distance since I don't have access to a car and my cities public transportation is shit.

If I could easily get to a gym, I would. It would be far, far more simple for me and I'd have everything I could ever possibly need at my fingertips, or in my case in my palm.

Edit: Just to make sure I wasn't making an ass out of myself, I double checked. Closest ones are nearly on the other side of the city, while any others are so far that they're in places I've never even heard of.

Arthil on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Where do you live? Maybe we could help you look?

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Check the width of the thing, then check the length of your bar. The second one says it is 45" wide, which I assume is from post to post. Pretty much any standard 20kg/45lb weightlifting bar should easily fit on that rack.

If you have doubts, visit the manufacturer's website and drop them an email with the dimensions of your bar.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Sure if you want, but unless the keywords gym or fitness club/center aren't right I'm not sure what you could find that I couldn't. I'm in Louisville, KY. Shit one of the hits I get when searching for a fitness club is all the way in Frankfort, KY.

• Options
    Check the width of the thing, then check the length of your bar. The second one says it is 45" wide, which I assume is from post to post. Pretty much any standard 20kg/45lb weightlifting bar should easily fit on that rack.

If you have doubts, visit the manufacturer's website and drop them an email with the dimensions of your bar.

Yeah it's a 72" bar so I figured it would fit on either one. I was a little surprised that the standard bench was wider than the Olympic one, actually. Getting the Olympic bench might be in my favor, since the older barbell I've got has a lot of space for the weight plates themselves.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Sure if you want, but unless the keywords gym or fitness club/center aren't right I'm not sure what you could find that I couldn't. I'm in Louisville, KY. Shit one of the hits I get when searching for a fitness club is all the way in Frankfort, KY.

If there are men in your vicinity, there is probably a place they go to lift heavy things. Get creative with your search.

Hell. You should see the place Big lifts at. It is definitely not a "gym" by any standard, but men are down there sweating and bleeding in the dark as they lift medieval instruments of power and destruction.

• Options

So you saw these?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Arthil, how far away from you is this place?

There is a bus stop 51 feet east of them. I know it's a church organisation, but apparently they have a big-ass gym open all year.

EDIT: It's approximately 6-7 miles further away from you than the Y, and as mentioned, bus stop outside the door.

Suck it up, put on your big-boy pants, and go pick things up and put them down.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »

So you saw these?

Yeah I did, everything except for I think the YMCA is just far, far out of reach without a car.

• Options
    Arthil, how far away from you is this place?

There is a bus stop 51 feet east of them. I know it's a church organisation, but apparently they have a big-ass gym open all year.

What exactly is the name of that one? That link only brings me to the map page.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Canaan Family Life Centre.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Oh god raw milk.

So delicious. Also illegal to sell as a food here.

And illegal to sell here. Think you have to join up with some crazy distribution network to get it. Possibly he owns a share in the cow.

That's exactly how you have to do it. At least in Wisconsin.

It's amazing.

• Options
    You should have your pick of cows in Wisconsin, right? Right?

wisconsin_come_smell_our_dairy_air_postcard-p239082473516383859z8iat_400.jpg

• Options
    Cowshares.

That's an interesting idea...

• Options
    Well I'm going to think on it, though I'd like to thank christhallet cause I think I've found a bench that's far superior to either of the ones I've been looking at. It's made and sold by the same company, through a website they own. Deltech Fitness is the name of the company. http://www.iwantfitness.com/dfstwebebyde.html It seems you buy it cheaper directly from them, since I saw that thing trying to be sold on another sports equipment website for $300+.

It is more pricey though. One way or another I'll get myself settled, while I'd prefer to have my own bench if I can reliably get to a fitness center I'll do that instead.

• Options
    That is pretty much the exact same type of bench that I have.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    That is pretty much the exact same type of bench that I have.

Looks like it'd be made/shipped... well, just like 20 miles away or less from here. Does it work well for you Schide?

• Options
    Well enough I suppose. Doing squats and such from the bar is kind of awkward because its narrow, but it's still doable. Otherwise it's pretty nice for most of the other lifts I do, although there's no low rack for stuff like shrugs.

• Options
    How exactly does one go about squatting with a rack that has the bench fixed in place

Steam ID
  • Options
    I'll admit that thing looks... far more sturdy looking than the Marcy bench I had my eye on before.

• Options
    How exactly does one go about squatting with a rack that has the bench fixed in place

Very carefully.

• Options
    Still don't get why you're set on getting that type of bench that's fixed to a rack and has bell and whistle attachments. What you just posted is almost the same price as what I posted, which you said broke the bank

Have you considered putting that money to a bike and biking to a gym? That adds cardio to your routine right there

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well if a rack+bench combo would in fact work out better I need to make sure the bench can hold my weight. And being able to put it at an incline is what I believe I need to do for seated overhead presses. Unless I can do them without resting my back against something?

Edit: Said weight is 364 lbs by the way, that's why I've been looking specifically at full on weight benches. Plain old benches don't seem to have the weight capacity unless they're in the $150+ range.

Arthil on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You should have your pick of cows in Wisconsin, right? Right?

wisconsin_come_smell_our_dairy_air_postcard-p239082473516383859z8iat_400.jpg

I could walk 5 min, hop a fence and steal some raw milk.

Growing up here I thought cow pasture smell was the normal smell for life.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    We kind of got that around here in some places, except it's horses.

The smell, not the milk.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    man i want some goddamn raw milk

that shit is illegal for stupid reasons

they should just make sure it comes from legit raised cows and then whatever

people take health risks with all other kinds of foods

poo
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I realise this isn't necessarily the place for bragging, and I comparison to you guys this isn't really much to brag about, but...

Deadlift 8x225
    bench 8x165

These are my "max," at the end of three sets. And this is after two months. I'm a kinda stringy guy, at 6' 196lbs.

And I don't seem to be able to put on mass AT ALL.

But I thank this thread for all my progress.

• Options
    Ain't gonna lie Jyardana, pretty jelly right now.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I realise this isn't necessarily the place for bragging, and I comparison to you guys this isn't really much to brag about, but...

Deadlift 8x225
    bench 8x165

These are my "max," at the end of three sets. And this is after two months. I'm a kinda stringy guy, at 6' 196lbs.

And I don't seem to be able to put on mass AT ALL.

But I thank this thread for all my progress.

Good progress. 6' @ 196lbs ain't too terrible, I was 6'5" @ 196lbs not that long ago. That was pretty terrible.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    From what I gather, if you want to put on mass, you have to eat.

And eat. Think you're done? Nope, eat some more. I'm not gonna be doing that though, least not at first... more worried about losing than putting on.

Arthil on
This discussion has been closed.