As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD Pathfinder] Rise of the Runelords

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Critical Failures
PZO9001_500.jpeg
The coastal town of Sandpoint has faced few trials and dangers over the course of its forty-two year history, but unfortunately, that is all about to change. Unknown to the town’s founders, they chose to build their community over the ruins of an ancient stronghold once used as laboratory and prison, a place where horrific experiments and unholy explorations into what divides man from monster took place. These are the Catacombs of Wrath, one of several such sites used by Runelord Alaznist’s apprentices during Thassilon’s height, a place where arcanists explored and perfected the stolen arts of lifeshaping and fleshwarping. When Thassilon fell, these catacombs went dormant, but the one buried under Sandpoint was not fated to stay that way.

Recruiting for a Pathfinder campaign, Rise of the Runelords. I know not everyone has invested in Pathfinder books, so fortunately all of the rules and everything you could possibly need are available for free online at www.d20pfsrd.com.

I'm going to be running this campaign dice-lite. Not everything will be decided by skill checks and dice rolls, but also on how well you role play the conversation, the action, etc. If you don't want to role play it, you can let the dice roll do the talking. Also, combat will be played a bit differently. Each round all players roll their attacks and damages and let me know if you're moving. Initiative will determine what takes effect first, but this way combat can move much faster for a play-by-post. Monster stats won't be posted, but I'll use descriptors after each round to let you know if your attacks hit and how much damage they've done.

We will be using EpicWords to keep track of in character posts, XP, extra journal posting, rolls, etc. Penny Arcade forums will be used for out of character posts. EpicWords.com is free, and I have a paid account for file storage and all the extra features so you don't need to. The URL for my campaign is: www.epicwords.com/Runelords

What do I need to do to join the campaign?
- Create an EpicWords.com account and join my campaign (passcode: runelordspa)
- Create a level 1 character using PF rules found at www.d20pfsrd.com Character Creation
- Epic Fantasy 25 point buy abilities
- Upload character sheet (either use a generator at d20pfsrd or dndsheets.net or Myth-Weavers or wherever is easiest for you or use the PDF form I created) to EpicWords
- Upload a character portrait
- Post a link to your character here along with a little backstory of who they are
- Post at least every other weekday, posting on weekends not expected

Going to need at least 4 characters, and will max out at 6.

I'm thinking of starting the campaign with the new year, once all the hub-bub of the Christmas holiday and New Year are done. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me! I'm sure there's stuff I forgot to include in this post.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Registering interest. Haven't played Pathfinder before but seeing that it is based off D&D it shouldn't be too hard to pick up (especially since that website has an amazing wealth of info!). Plan on rolling and submitting a knife master or 2 weapon/handed fighter some time this week

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    Monday morning bump since the thread probably got lost during the weekend. Also posted link in the game index thread.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just started playing this campaign with my regular D&D group. How awesome that it popped up here. Good luck! It's been a lot of fun so far.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Registering interest in a fashion similar to Moleface (that is, I also haven't played Pathfinder, but expect I can learn it). Don't know what I'm gonna roll yet, but I'll have something either today or tomorrow.

EDIT: It'll be a Cleric focusing on the Knowledge/Rune domains.
    EDIT Again: Scroll Scholar archetype, if that's cool with you, ArcSin.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Learning Pathfinder is simple if you've ever played DnD, even simpler if you've played 3e or 3.5e. Very few differences.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Learning Pathfinder is simple if you've ever played DnD, even simpler if you've played 3e or 3.5e. Very few differences.

Even coming from 4ed its pretty easy to learn.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok I got my character together. If accepted you might want to double check my sheet to make sure I have everything in order :)

Velrich Leway: Two Handed Weapon Fighter

VelrichLeway.JPG

Velrich Leway grew up in the nation of Andoran. Born to a woodsman family, his mother died before Velrich could even remember. Growing up he learnt from his father how to be a lumberjack and became very proficient at swinging an axe. His father was a loyal member of the Lumber Consortium, and thus Velrich was for most of his teenage life. However in time Velrich came to see who the Lumber Consortium really were and the negative impact they were having on people and places throughout Andoran. He decided that he no longer wanted to be any part of it. This lead to a massive falling out with his father, who promptly kicked him out of the home claiming that Velrich was no longer his son. With no place to go he travelled from town to town picking up a variety of small jobs, from bouncer to woodsman and anything in between. Recently Velrich picked up a well-paying job acting as a body guard for a merchant caravan travelling to Sandpoint. Velrich quickly took a liking to Sandpoint and decided to stay, picking up a job doing reserve city guard work.

Velrich stands 6’6” with short dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and thick stubble. He has a distinctive tattoo on his face, dark green marks running down his forehead and across his cheeks. He is not one to speak often and is not big on small talk, but despite his quietness he is quite friendly in nature. However his upbringing and travels have created a dependency on alcohol, especially whiskey. He rarely travels with an empty flask. When drunk becomes a lot more abrasive and sarcastic, company that not many people tend to enjoy.

moleface on
  • Options
    Looks good so far! I did a quick overlook of the character sheet and looks fine.

And Sneaks, I just saw your second edit and that is fine to use archetypes.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Starting at level one? I guess I could throw a wizard or a druid at you.

As a general question, how do you feel about third party material?

• Options
    Yes, level 1. And as far as third party I would have to see what it was specifically.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rabbit221rabbit221 Registered User regular
    Just picked up the beginner box last weekend and have read through both the GM and Player books it came with. Definitely interested, I'll look up all that information you posted when I get off work. Could you use a Dwarven Cleric?

• Options
    rabbit221 wrote:
    Just picked up the beginner box last weekend and have read through both the GM and Player books it came with. Definitely interested, I'll look up all that information you posted when I get off work. Could you use a Dwarven Cleric?

From what I'm reading of Sneaks character, he beat you to the Dwarven Cleric. :D

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Registering interest. I'll see what I can work up and have it to you by Saturday evening. Got the company Christmas shindig tonight.

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Guschric.jpg

Guschric, Cleric of Irori

Those who know him tend to think of Guschric ("Gus" to his family in Janderhoff) as a historian first and a cleric second. They are not wrong. History—not theology—is his passion. He consumes history the way dwarves consume everything: loudly, violently, and in great quantities.

The Church of Irori, on the other hand is actually of little importance to Gushric. If his interest in his Order ever seems fervent, it is the fervency of a clinical historian rather than a devout follower. It would be more accurate to say that Guschric has pledged himself to Irori's memory than to his faith.

History is crafted by mortals and Gods. Irori has been both, and so he appears in historical texts with some frequency. When Guschric's historical pursuits brought him into contact with the chronicles of Irori the man, he felt as though he'd found a kindred spirit just one eon too late to actually encounter him.

Guschric was inspired to be a better man. He wanted to shift the focus of his studies from texts and second-hand accounts to primary sources; he wanted to explore the world and unearth forgotten things.

Guschric is devoted to Irori's ideals of knowledge and self improvement, but his disdain for many of the Church's customs and rituals and his general abrasiveness prevent him from being well-regarded by his ecclesiastic peers. Still, the Church acknowledges that everyone's path to enlightenment is different (though some have a longer path than others), as does Guschric (though some paths have more cul-de-sacs than others), and more often than not the disagreements between institution and disciple were overcome, albeit with some structural and/or physical damage.

Both parties were pleased when Guschric's path to enlightenment finally led away from Janderhoff.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Yes, level 1. And as far as third party I would have to see what it was specifically.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, I was just wondering if I should bother looking through it; I might snipe a few neat spells, though.

As for sheets, do you mind if I use Myth-Weavers? It's a bit easier to manage for me due to having all my other sheets there.

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:

I didn't have anything specific in mind, I was just wondering if I should bother looking through it; I might snipe a few neat spells, though.

As for sheets, do you mind if I use Myth-Weavers? It's a bit easier to manage for me due to having all my other sheets there.

I totally forgot about Myth-Weavers. They'd be absolutely fine to use.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ArcSyn wrote:
    I totally forgot about Myth-Weavers. They'd be absolutely fine to use.

Oh, good. That'll be easier for me, too.

EDIT: Okay, here's a sheet.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Pretty much any online sheet system is fine, I was just providing some examples. I'll adjust the OP to specify that. Sorry about that guys.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Spotted a few mistakes on my char sheet so I reuploaded it. I also looked at putting my sheet on myth-weavers since I use that too, but I clicked some option that wiped the entire skill grid and I wasn't about to start over. So I will stick with the PDF for now :P

• Options
    Well we've got 3 players, just need at least 1 more.

In the meantime, if you want to read up about the land, the Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide is online. The first part is all about races/deities, additional weapons/items found in the area (mostly used by NPCs) and the actual interesting history and descriptions about the land are in the last 1/3 of the PDF (Page 12 and on).

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Just a quick bump because we need at least 1 more player and I don't know how many people will check between Christmas and New Year's.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So, have we set a starting date?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, so I'll whip something up tomorrow.

A wizard or sorcerer of some sort.

• Options
    Huh, after reading the thread, I swore I only saw two characters, but there's three, including a wizard of some sort, over on the Epic Words site. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so I'll make a roguish character.

• Options
    You should totally be a Wizard, we'll do wizardly shenanigans and have sleepovers and stuff.

Also, he's more of a Transmutationist/buffer kind of dude.

• Options
    Well we just got four players, so we can start! I will get some prep work done today and we can start up tomorrow. If Govannan Weislaw and Matthew Kellus can get avatars up that would be great.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Matthew Kellius

Born to a pair of Varisian parents, Matthew learned from an early age the acrobatics and quick wittiness that would serve him well in his later life. However, his parents soon separated after he reached his teenage years. His father preferred to take the more respectable path of being a traveling entertainer, while his mother left to join with charlatan and confidence men. After deciding to stay with his father, Matthew regretted his choice by the time he came of age. He had enough of poverty and endless traveling without a roof over his head. He left to become wealthy enough to reunite his family and settle down in one place for a while.

Times have been interesting for Matthew as of late. Having spent most of his adult life living an easy life of relieving rich men of their unneeded wealth, he's made many friends throughout the country's underworld. However, as one might expect, it has also attracted less benevolent attention. Currently, he is on his way to Sandpoint to escape his said unwanted attention from the nearby city of Magnimar.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It has begun!

Welcome to the Sandpoint Swallowtail Festival!

edit: changed link, put the wrong one.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Goblin Assault!

Battle Notes:
    Rounds will be simultaneous, but I'll take Init order into account for what order attacks are calculated. So once a round starts, everyone can go ahead and declare moves/attacks/damage and once everyone is declared and rolled, I'll run through the round results and post so we can start the next round. This should help PBP run a bit faster than having to wait for each person's turn. If you have something you wish to wait for (ready an action, or instant spell you want to cast at a certain time) just let me know in OOC here or spoiler tag in your IC post and I'll take it into account and let you know when it will happen so you can jump in.

Roll attacks and damage rolls at the same time to make it faster/easier.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Woo combat! I guess we do all our combat posting in the Goblin Assault thread and not the Festival one?

Also I updated my char sheet several times prior to this thing starting and switched from 2 handed fighter to great axe weapon master as it fit more with that I was after. So that's the latest char sheet, if you havent seen it

• Options
    moleface wrote:
    Woo combat! I guess we do all our combat posting in the Goblin Assault thread and not the Festival one?

Also I updated my char sheet several times prior to this thing starting and switched from 2 handed fighter to great axe weapon master as it fit more with that I was after. So that's the latest char sheet, if you havent seen it

Ok, no problem. I'll look it over.

Yeah, we'll use the forum threads for battles (new thread per battle) just to keep things a bit easier to track and maintain. I'll link the appropriate forum thread at the end of each "storyline" session (which will be in the Journal posts). Might be a bit confusing at first, but I like it for ease of backtracking later and knowing what's going on. Worst case scenario, we change as we need to in the future.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Posted my first round of combat and forgot to include my weapon focus bonus, so my attack roll should actually be 1d20+6 = 20, rather than 1d20+5 = 19

• Options
    Ah crap, I also forgot to add the extra +1 to damage for doing a power attack with a 2 handed weapon, so the total damage should be 17, not 16

• Options
    Ok, no problem. I added numbers to the goblins to help identify which was which. I saved in jpg by accident though (been using png since it's a bit clearer) so it's a bit fuzzy. Will fix that next revision.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Any thoughts on combat so far? Positives/negatives?

Is everyone going at once working well for people? I know it was just two rounds really, but figured I'd ask.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I think it's going well. I always tooled around with a variant where Team Hero went then Team Monster went. It was pretty fun.

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote:
    I think it's going well. I always tooled around with a variant where Team Hero went then Team Monster went. It was pretty fun.

It really lends itself to PbP where waiting for a particular person or having to switch back and forth as the DM to different monster inits wastes a lot of time. We were able to do 2 rounds in 2 days; which compared to past PbP games I've played, is really fast.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it's moving all right.

Another fun one was where you declared your actions secretly and then everyone revealed them as their turn came up. You didn't have to pick a location to target or move to, but you did have to pick move or Fireball or something.

It was crazy, but we decided that it was too much work for the amount of fun.

• Options
    Seems fine and dandy for me; a day per round seems to be fast enough, considering it can take an hour to do in IRC/maptools games.

• Options
    Are we using the same initiative order, or what?