As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[13th Age West Marches] The Adventurers' Guild Thread: Character Creation and Discussion

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Here's a character sheet for Shield, the human Cleric. Shield is a 6'2" tall woman who is broad and large, wearing tarnished plate armor. She has a magnetism that draws people in without her trying, represented in her beauty domain and one of her backgrounds.

She's one of few remaining worshippers of a god called the Bulwark, and she carries a large wooden cross that requires both her hands to haul it around as her holy symbol.

Shield

Anything less than an 8 is boosted to an 8 on stat rolls.

Also, where did your extra Icon Relationship point come from?

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Oh yeah, forgot to boost that 7 to and 8. I will still be very clumsy and undexterous, but at least it's only going to be a -1!

The extra icon is from my talent Domain:Beauty. Once per level I create a conflicted relationship with a heroic or ambiguous(I read this as good/neutral on our lists) icon that I don't already have a relationship with. Basically my character has conflicted romantic ties to a different icon every level. It lasts until I level up, when I have to change it to a different one.

Tangential but the invocation for that domain is really fun too. 1/heal-up when I trigger it at the beginning of a battle, at a dramatic moment during that battle I can free action have myself or an ally roll a single icon relationship die they have, and on a 5 or a 6 we figure out how that relationship has an impact on the battle. Fun stuff.

Joshmvii on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I reckon it's going to take me until tomorrow to get my head around the rules but I'm in!

I think I fancy making a paladin (in spirit, not actually part of a knightly order) who is the son of an outcast witch and (supposedly) the ghost of her husband, by means of romantic necromancy.

He'd be trying his damnest to be a big shining knight from tales of old, while looking like a Addams Family member.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    OK, so, 3 spells as a necro means I only have 3 in my book, or i prep 3 each rest from the list?

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for I have a problem

I have a problem:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 1] 7 [4d6k3=[5, 1, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 3], 2] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 3] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 3]

edited February 2017
    Ok, think I got it, lets roll them bones on the gold though:

Geth roll 1#1d6

well poop.

1#1d6 1 # 1 [1d6=1]

QuantumTurk on
    OK! Please check for any errors:

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Geth roll 1#1d6 for Gold

50 GOLDS! I'M RICH!

Gold:
    1#1d6 1 # 5 [1d6=5]

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    At least I don't need to eat... I'll be fine, out here...in the rain...not drowning...face down in the mud.

OK! Please check for any errors:

AC should be 13 - Base 12 from Bard +1 from level +0 from mid mod.
    MD should be 15 - Base 11 from either class +1 from level +3 from mid mod of int/wis/cha.

You short changed yourself on both those defenses on the char sheet.

Everything else looks good, though I would ask why you took an at-will Necro spell when Battle Chant, especially since you feated it to do d6 damage dice will always be your best at-will choice. Also because you need to be battle chanting to trigger your battle cries.

From a purely optimization/action economy standpoint, did you consider taking one of the level 1 Bard songs because they use quick actions rather than maybe soundburst? You might just like having the daily AOE nuke better. As it is I think your only use for your quick action is commanding your 1/day skeleton mooks to use the escalation die.

edited February 2017
    I liked the option of having a dot I can hit something with, THEN switch to singing, hopefully getting a bit more out of it. Though channel life is also tempting, if less on flavor. And yea, something else would probs be better than soundburst buuuuuut my dude is new to this fighting thing, and an aoe stun that he can only do once sounds like his bag.

Alllllso I don't get how I can command them to use the escalation die?
    And thanks for looking it over and catching the AC/MD mistakes!

Whoops, already have channel. well, something else then. Might swap the at will necro for terror or unholy blast

Edit again: OH so I can play a song of heroes/spilt blood, AND move, AND attack in a turn? That...makes those way better. I was planning on song of spilt blood at some point, if only because everyone is going to have more hp than bony over here. I'll pick one of those up if I make it to level 2. And I think soundburst will help me do that.

QuantumTurk on
    edited February 2017
    Okay this is my first ever 13th Age character.

August St. Cloud • Human Ranger

w31ba8vedx2q.jpg

Born and raised on one of the farms surrounding Havenhold. Somewhere in the middle of 6 other siblings including 2 older brothers, he took his chance to join up with the city militia as soon as he was of age. He did well at basic, and excelled enough at archery to even catch The Captain's eye. However, during the Fall Moon festival's Archery contest he managed to win the grand prize -- even besting The Guide himself (the champion for MANY years). No one quite knows how August pulled it off -- was it luck? skill? or did The Guide just see something special in the boy and decided to give him his day. It wasn't long after the Festival that August abandoned the Militia (much to the chagrin of The Captain) and took back out to the wood and farmlands of his youth tagging along with the scouts and rangers under the hood of The Guide.

MagicPrime on
    edited February 2017
    Alright, the hopefully final Mortimer Suede, High Elf and traveling trouper. The life of a minstrel is a fraught one, but with a voice like Mort's he felt it was his true calling. No big success in his past 100 years indicate he may have been a little misguided. It was a fateful night his camp was ambushed by a necromantic horde, dragged off to be thralls of some Necromancer out in the wilds. Luckily death, and un-death didn't take Mort's gift of gab, and gab... and gab. So the necromancer banished him, but not before Mort pocketed a little phylactery the necromancer seemed keen on. While he couldn't find any buyers, he did suddenly have his old dog back...well...sort of. Muggs has seen better days, but his flesh is still there...in places. At any rate, the barkeep keeps putting up with his smell so long as he plays the songs he likes. And the Dryad just does not quite know what to make of this necromancer with good intentions.

Google drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eYZYisftiVVUJJQ3lKazk2aGM

I can't find a picture of a zombie in a ragged outrageous outfit, so just imagine a lot of purples and reds, what was once some fine fabric quite caked with mud and other....fluids Mort can't seem to wash out. Or stop producing for that matter.
    Nevermind, so wrong:
    8029189580397fd777a42b09391aeac2.jpg

And if GMs would like me to edit something to fit more into the world/the icons they have envisioned I'm happy to retcon within reason.

QuantumTurk on
    65dfd97c0e44d731b84c52bddc5b3765.jpg

Your drive link is giving me DNS errors :(

Should be fixed

I liked the option of having a dot I can hit something with, THEN switch to singing, hopefully getting a bit more out of it. Though channel life is also tempting, if less on flavor. And yea, something else would probs be better than soundburst buuuuuut my dude is new to this fighting thing, and an aoe stun that he can only do once sounds like his bag.

Alllllso I don't get how I can command them to use the escalation die?
    And thanks for looking it over and catching the AC/MD mistakes!

Whoops, already have channel. well, something else then. Might swap the at will necro for terror or unholy blast

Edit again: OH so I can play a song of heroes/spilt blood, AND move, AND attack in a turn? That...makes those way better. I was planning on song of spilt blood at some point, if only because everyone is going to have more hp than bony over here. I'll pick one of those up if I make it to level 2. And I think soundburst will help me do that.

NP about the defenses. If this game is deadly we're going to need all the defenses we have a right to, hah.

Yeah, some bard songs(not all) are quick actions to start and also sustain, so they don't interfere with your move or standard actions. My party's Bard is typically using a quick action to sing/sustain song of heroes, then standards to attack with his spear or cast his daily spells on any given turn.

For the escalation die, if you look on page 11 of 13 True Ways it has some rules laid out that apply to both the druid and necromancer's summoned creatures, and one of them tells you that you can use a quick action to command your summoned dudes and let them use the escalation die for one turn.

Note that the skeleton minion talent is not a summoned creature so it can't benefit from that, but there is an adventurer feat that lets it add the escalation die to its attacks if you're keen on that.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Alright it'll be atleast Monday before I can really sit down and get through all the character creation stuff, but assuming I do...

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 2] 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 3] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 3] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 4]

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Thinking of a dwarf necromancer, or a half-elf fighter/wizard. How many players are you looking for?

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 2] 4 [4d6k3=[2, 1, 1], 1] 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 2], 2] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 2]

edited February 2017
    Neat. Think I'l go with the Fighter/Wizard.

@Grunt's Ghosts Are you familiar with the Deep Magic book? It's a 3pp book that lets a non-wizard class trade all but one of their class talents for a limited selection of spells (among other things, including 555 more spells). I've always wanted to try it out, but I understand if you're not interested.

Carnarvon on
    I think we are sticking to core stuff only. No 3rd Party.

edited February 2017
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for stats.

stats:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 10 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 2], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 4] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 2], 1]

Endless_Serpents on
    @Carnarvon So the way this works is that I or another DM takes groups of players on one-shot adventurers once a group is formed and has an idea of what they want to do. I've been giving players who have characters finished a rumor or something that they can bring up for adventurer (some of you might get the same rumors because that's how rumors work) and you guys can either go see about those rumors or follow in the footsteps of other groups (especially if they failed to finish theirs) or just pick a random direction and start walking and discover something. You do the one-shot story, get some loot, return home to tell the tale of your glories and do it over again. You can try to join any group you want but you can only play with the same person twice before you must do an adventurer without them (I need to put that in the OP). This is so we don't have the same groups always forming and everyone gets a chance to play. You can play as often as you like, take a break if you need to, and then return later and pick up where your character left off, basically. I'm going to say that groups can't be bigger than 4 people unless otherwise stated (And if I say we need more than 4 people for an adventurer, assume it's a hard fight ahead.)

As to the Deep Magic book, I haven't heard of it. Now, I won't allow it because we aren't doing custom classes but if you can PM me a link to it, I'd love to check it out.

edited February 2017
    Geth roll 1#1d6 for poverty.

Valdo Sickleson. Child of a witch and a ghost. I'll post his backstory as we get closer to starting, but simply put he was raised by his mother out in the forest some miles from the town, who had long ago been kicked out, for reasons unknown but likely related to the death of her out of wedlock lover, a local farmer. Valdo wanted nothing more that to become a renowned knight, unfortunately he ended up the squire of a drunken joust knight, some bankrupt noble. He was "fired" when he stopped the drunk from beating a bartender senseless, and has since returned to the general town area, lying to any that'll listen that he is knight now. Despite all that, he really does want to be a flawless hero, that helps for no reason other than to be a good guy.

Someone look over my sheet would you, this kind of game is labyrinthine to me. Story games have made me soft.

https://dochub.com/tonyferron/rvwZZD/13th-age-character-sheet-fillable?dt=vbrfptczfw7lmddp

One more thing, I'm thinking the Banished offer bargains to outcasts in return for whatever they need, like a cruel Fairy Godmother. Valdo's ma is an follower of this figure, though she herself isn't a bad old gal.

poverty:
    1#1d6 1 # 3 [1d6=3]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited February 2017
    I don't think you distributed your +2's to your stats. You get one +2 based on your race and another +2 based on your class.

Aasimar is +2 Wis or +2 Cha
    Paladin is +2 Str or +2 Cha

You can't stack them.

MagicPrime on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Not much of a 13th age expert, but I have the main book so lets give it a shot. Thinking of a rogue of some kind.

Geth roll 6#4d6k3

Haha these stats, just missed the mercy reroll

6#4d6k3 6 # 8 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 1], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 1] 10 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 2], 1] 9 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 3], 2] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 2] 8 [4d6k3=[6, 1, 1], 1]

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Be my incompetent side kick in crime!

MagicPrime wrote: »
    I don't think you distributed your +2's to your stats. You get one +2 based on your race and another +2 based on your class.

Aasimar is +2 Wis or +2 Cha
    Paladin is +2 Str or +2 Cha

You can't stack them.

Thank you, I've fiddled with it now, it should be right.

So will there be another in character thread for the 'tavern' to do IC recruitment and interaction? Or is that what this thread represents?

edited February 2017
    You can do IC interaction here too. Just make sure it's labeled.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Geth roll 1#1d6 for poverty.

Valdo Sickleson. Child of a witch and a ghost. I'll post his backstory as we get closer to starting, but simply put he was raised by his mother out in the forest some miles from the town, who had long ago been kicked out, for reasons unknown but likely related to the death of her out of wedlock lover, a local farmer. Valdo wanted nothing more that to become a renowned knight, unfortunately he ended up the squire of a drunken joust knight, some bankrupt noble. He was "fired" when he stopped the drunk from beating a bartender senseless, and has since returned to the general town area, lying to any that'll listen that he is knight now. Despite all that, he really does want to be a flawless hero, that helps for no reason other than to be a good guy.

Someone look over my sheet would you, this kind of game is labyrinthine to me. Story games have made me soft.

https://dochub.com/tonyferron/rvwZZD/13th-age-character-sheet-fillable?dt=vbrfptczfw7lmddp

One more thing, I'm thinking the Banished offer bargains to outcasts in return for whatever they need, like a cruel Fairy Godmother. Valdo's ma is an follower of this figure, though she herself isn't a bad old gal.

You can take heavy armor as a paladin unless there is a reason you are going light armor. A Pally with the same AC as a spellcaster is doomed to die...

@Endless_Serpents

AC:

Your AC should be 16 (heavy armor) + 1 (level) +0(mid mod con/dex/wis) +1(Bastion talent passive) = 18. There's no penalty at all for wearing heavy armor over light, Paladin having high AC is just part of their thing.

Even if you wanted to wear light mechanically, your AC would be 14, 12 + 1 for level +1 for bastion.

You also get 1 AC for wearing a shield, which you'd presumably be getting because you have a 1 handed weapon listed. If you're not going to wear a shield, you should just make your axe a d10 to represent that you're using it in 2 hands.

Note that if you just really want to wear light armor, wear a 1 handed weapon and no shield, there's nothing stopping you. It's just leaving free numbers on the table that don't come with any drawbacks for you.

Lay on Hands: You can also heal yourself with it, just noting since the wording you put on your sheet suggests only allies.

Smite evil: For you it's 1/battle, + 4/day, not 6 times per day as you have listed on the sheet.

I might just classify the layers of clothing as heavy armor.

I'll take lack of shield into account too, thank you for that.

Making alterations as I type!

Mort is at the bar, asking the barkeep and anyone else who he can strike up a conversation with if they knew anything about the caves outside of town, maybe those near the river? Oh, no reason, just...Fancy a little hike and spelunk I guess.
    (And ooc, starting next week I'm also down to schedule voice/roll20 sessions if the fates align. I'm on the east coast of USA and free most evenings)

Yeah, that's the fun of 13th Age. You get to make your weapons and armor whatever you want, the numbers are based on class. You could be a Dwarf Paladin with stone heavy armor, or an Elf Paladin who wears robes with a light breastplate or whatever and still get the heavy armor benefit.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they even include a light armor option for Paladins. For classes who can wear light or heavy but heavy comes with a penalty unless you take a talent(commander) it makes sense, but for Paladins, they really should've just said your AC is high no matter what you wear, so nobody gets tricked into thinking they should take the lower light armor value based on flavor.

The light armor option is for multiclassing, and if your DM likes to make your party do stuff like climb, swim, sneak, ect. often.

Yeah, I didn't think about the multiclass angle, that you might need to wear light armor then to avoid penalties. Though they didn't have MC rules when they made the core book. As for the other part, that's still just GM fiat stuff since there are no penalties RAW for swimming or whatever else in heavy armor versus light. That's just 13th Age though. Granular in some ways, but it leaves all that little stuff up to the GM.

edited February 2017

Carnarvon on
    edited February 2017
    mid2u9gi9l05.gif

Two men in dark leather armor talk over a mug of warm beer in the tavern. On their sholder a roughly sewn patch bears the mark of The Havenhold Mining Company. These are 'The Boss's' men, obviously. Even without those emblazoned logos they weren't hard to spot. That same black shoe polished armor, the sulfur smell from walking the tailing yards, and not to mention that damned stick perpetually up their ass.

"Ey tuld ya - Errol -- Ee did'unt tell me wot they tuk. Ee joost said they tuk somethin. Wern't even talkin to me really... Ey wus jest loofin rund the yard. And erd em yappin."

The other man finishes his cup and slams it down. "Francis... if what you're sayin is true, then why don't we go find the buglar! I bet The Boss would have a nice bonus for us if we were the ones to bring it back!"

Both men were obviously a few sheets to the wind past what would typical pass for common sense. "Wellllllll I'll be dammed Errol, that is de best idear Ee erd all day. Go get a few mor uh da boys we can troost and we can h'ed to da south feylds. That's where Da boss sayd they saw the buggar headin!"

The first man finishes his drink and they both stand, bolting towards the door. At the table beside them, against he corner of the wall, another man was asleep. A heavy hood on his cloak pulled up, his legs up and across the way perched upon an adjacent seat. A long strand of razor grass was dangling from his jaw, jutting out a good bit past the shade casting down his face. As the men leave the tavern, the supposedly sleeping man leans a bit forward and chews the grass to the otherside of his mouth.

"Hmmm... south they said..."

**Is anyone else in the tavern with me?

MagicPrime on
    edited February 2017
    AfinGSZ.png

Taneli, Half-Elf Fighter/Wizard

Born to a mercenary guard and his merchant wife, Taneli was raised on the road and in the city, fighting thieves and monsters practically from birth. He was fascinated by magic at a young age, but the teachings of The Librarian were too strict for a boy suffering wanderlust as Taneli did. While his family wanted him to take up a stable, less deadly career, Taneli spent his time as a courier and armed guard for expeditions out of town. He steered clear of the well playing jobs from The Boss out of principal, causing him to be one of a small few to be trusted by the merchants of Havenhold. This trust brought him access to the books and relics that The Librarian wouldn't dare buy, the old tomes hidden behind the pawn shop's counter, and the rotting grimoires dug up from unmarked graves. Treatise on summoning The Demoniac, consulting The Runes, pacts with the Banished... Taneli may come to regret his dabbling in the occult; the visions in his dreams and the whispers in his ear, but, what is life if not a series of mistakes?

Old backstory, saved for posterity:
    Born to a caravan guard and his merchant wife, Taneli was raised on the road and in the cities, fighting thieves and monsters practically from birth. While his family eventually settled in to small-town life, Taneli spent his savings on tuition at Wizard's College. Taneli quickly learned that, as much as he loved magic, he absolutely loathed wizards, and college. Escaping his peers, he hid himself ever deeper in the depths of the library, finding rotting tomes of seemingly lost and forbidden powers. Treatise on summoning The Demoniac, consulting The Runes, pacts with the Banished... Taneli may come to regret his dabbling in the occult; the visions in his dreams and the whispers in his ear, but, what is life if not a series of mistakes?

Carnarvon on