Options

Please don't go. [chat] needs you. They look up to you.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I tend to look at player elimination as a design flaw which leads me to quite disliking phalla and mafia. Resistance is much better for not having it.

I agree, actually

board/card games where a player is straight up eliminated and has to watch everyone else play suck

I very, very much think genocide in Twilight Imperium is BAD and yet it's happened twice since playing with the TO crew

once to me

BITCH, YOU STARTED IT

no

Wash started it

he blackmailed me into crushing your people

you doing it to me in a subsequent game was misdirected vengeance

i was but the tool for his malevolence

blame not the knife for the death of caesar, blame the arm of brutus

A MAN CHOOSES

A SLAVE OBEYS

I HAD NO CHOICE

it was me or you

he had us against each other, he watched and waited and made his move

had I refused his blood vengeance, he would helped you burn my planets to ashes as penance for my refusal

only to, more than likely, stab you in the back when you allowed him to manipulate you into being the instrument of my destruction

he made his choices well, and the whole of both our peoples suffered

your species died

mine got to live with the guilt of a genocide we never wanted

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    How do zombies fit into any superhero universe?

Are they magic space radiation zombies or infected virus zombies?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote:
    i love my new avatar :B

It is wondermus

Elldren, I came across an elf in Dragon Age 2 called Ellren.

... he was kind of a jerk to me ... but it's still an amazing coincidence!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Games that let you play kingmaker can get annoying.

I don't know if I'm really playing kingmaker, though... if we're playing Risk and he breaks a deal we made, costing me six armies, and I turn in my cards and exhaust myself crippling him, and a third player ends up winning, did I play kingmaker? Are Risk and Small World games that let you play kingmaker?

Telling someone you are going to take them down if they mess with you is a valid strategy. And if they call you on it you have to go through on it in order to lend such claims credibility for future games. I wouldn't say you are playing kingmaker in those situations.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    well if you genocide me you don't get to cry when i genocide you and squat on your home planet and rape your fields and salt your women

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

Why does it have to be either/or?

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    the only time i ever got mad at board games is when there was a political amendment passed that specifically fucked me over all game for the rest of the game and there was nothing i could do and i hadn't done anything to provoke it

laws that make your secret objective unachievable are basically the worst thing in the world. That may be a part of why I dislike twilight imperium.

My attitude towards secret objectives is fuck 'em

I almost never go after them unless it's convenient, because they almost always involve aggression and I tend to play pretty reserved

Dude, IM me on AIM if you can. Thoma1melas.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I've never seen player elimination in TI3.

Also, I think I'll be cracking out some festive games of that.

There's no reason to do it.

warfare in TI3 is generally a large and wasteful investment of resources and going to extended war leaves you vulnerable to attack by other players. eliminating someone from the game requires destroying ALL their units, seizing ALL their planets, and leaving them with nothing.

it's not something you can do by accident or to fulfill an objective

it is a cold, calculated, deliberate choice to commit genocide for no personally beneficial reason but evil.
    Even if you want to do it, you are handing the other players an easy road to victory on a plate, so it's super unlikely that anybody would be removed before somebody wins.

I loved the VP game timer, but I had friends who wanted to play it as space risk so always got frustrated when somebody else won just as their massive fleets where smashing into one another.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2011
    Modern Man wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

Why does it have to be either/or?

Right. Like, Magic is totally a thing in dc and marvel. You can easily say that some wizard enemy of strange created an undead horde, and one gained sentience or something.

And a fucked up Lazarus pit event in DC is just one of many ways a "zombie" could come to be.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i told him to im you, thom!

he said he only had one hand free

the pervert

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I've never seen player elimination in TI3.

Also, I think I'll be cracking out some festive games of that.

There's no reason to do it.

warfare in TI3 is generally a large and wasteful investment of resources and going to extended war leaves you vulnerable to attack by other players. eliminating someone from the game requires destroying ALL their units, seizing ALL their planets, and leaving them with nothing.

it's not something you can do by accident or to fulfill an objective

it is a cold, calculated, deliberate choice to commit genocide for no personally beneficial reason but evil.
    There are goals that require capturing enemy homeworlds. Frequently, you have to commit genocide to pull that off.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    alright just calm down Podly

just calm

down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlMHJE82Mk

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I like how death isn't permanent in Arkham Horror, you either wake up in the hospital, asylum, or if you're really unlucky you get to play a new dude

Unless you let shit get way out of hand and the Ancient One attacks and then if one dies probably everyone else will rapidly follow

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Elldren wrote:
    i love my new avatar :B

It is wondermus

Elldren, I came across an elf in Dragon Age 2 called Ellren.

... he was kind of a jerk to me ... but it's still an amazing coincidence!

Elldren came across someone named Tyranus and her first instinct was to murder the shit outta him :(

• Options
    I hear that with like, the right race and the right starting position and the right cards etc (stars have to align here) that you can sometimes eliminate a player on like turn 2 or 3 of TI. Knocking out someone that early seems mighty tempting.

• Options
    when designing characters for a superhero game I give not a single fuck if they are similar, but not identical to, another existing character

because quite frankly it's nearly impossible to have a wholly original concept that isn't overly esoteric or completely stupid

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    desc wrote:
    desc wrote:
    People who are way into Phallas are weird

Seriously

Weird in person especially

Did they try their secret phalla handshake on you?

It's more ... Not having aspergers seems like a competitive disadvantage in Mafia on PA, so beyond the feeling of "so these are the people who drive up tvtropes' pagehits" and the mega-treehouseyness, there's this odd feeling that the computer screen is still invisibly present between you and them, even face to face

hahahaha I met dudes from a sci fi forum I used to post at the one time and it was a lot like this and it was terrible

It's like

"Guys, you don't have to coldly analyze my speech and mannerisms for consistency vs. Unexpected deviations from a behavioral norm. No one is getting eliminated right now."

I guess that it should not be surprising to me that a game about staring at people from a psychological remove would attract people prone to staring at people from a pschological remove but like

I like memoir44 but I don't shoot people at Cons with a tank

• Options
    i like to think oathkeeper is fairly originalish

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    also risk legacy is like the best game ever

i love it so

sig.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I hear that with like, the right race and the right starting position and the right cards etc (stars have to align here) that you can sometimes eliminate a player on like turn 2 or 3 of TI. Knocking out someone that early seems mighty tempting.

yeah there's a few combos that can let that happen

i think if you do that to someone at the start of a game that can take 6+ hours to play you're something of an asshole, though

like yes it is tempting

but if you give into that temptation i think everyone there is right to think you're a dick

• Options
    Memoir 44?

Psh, desc with your ameritrash, psh!

(just yanking ya)

• Options
    desc wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    desc wrote:
    desc wrote:
    People who are way into Phallas are weird

Seriously

Weird in person especially

Did they try their secret phalla handshake on you?

It's more ... Not having aspergers seems like a competitive disadvantage in Mafia on PA, so beyond the feeling of "so these are the people who drive up tvtropes' pagehits" and the mega-treehouseyness, there's this odd feeling that the computer screen is still invisibly present between you and them, even face to face

hahahaha I met dudes from a sci fi forum I used to post at the one time and it was a lot like this and it was terrible

It's like

"Guys, you don't have to coldly analyze my speech and mannerisms for consistency vs. Unexpected deviations from a behavioral norm. No one is getting eliminated right now."

I guess that it should not be surprising to me that a game about staring at people from a psychological remove would attract people prone to staring at people from a pschological remove but like

I like memoir44 but I don't shoot people at Cons with a tank

yyyyeah

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

i think if you do that to someone at the start of a game that can take 6+ hours to play you're something of an asshole, though

like yes it is tempting

but if you give into that temptation i think everyone there is right to think you're a dick

I definitely agree. I just wish the game didn't give you such a possibility. Because man, that would suck. It's like "Hey thanks for coming to play boardgames with us man. You might as well just go home now."

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Eliminating someone early on in a game like that is basically a valid excuse for them to flip the table

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

There are an ample number of magic and occult based heroes. Wonder Woman is the most famous. But there are tons of them. And given that there is a virus green lantern, I'm sure a zombie virus could be made to work with the right backstory. The right backstory would be key.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

like yes it is tempting

I definitely agree. I just wish the game didn't give you such a possibility. Because man, that would suck. It's like "Hey thanks for coming to play boardgames with us man. You might as well just go home now."

"Hey dude, think of it this way: now you can hang out and watch and get us drinks!"

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    With a player fewer, the game would be sped up a fair bit, but yeah, they'd be sitting around for a good two or three hours.

It's a pain, but I think TI manages to include player elimination without it being a huge issue.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I should paint these warmachine dudes I have. I mean, I bought 'em and built 'em and primed 'em, and they are pretty bitching models. I will probably never play the game but, they are nice models.

• Options
    Eliminating someone early on in a game like that is basically a valid excuse for them to flip the table

that was how I felt when I got brigged on turn 1 of BSG and would not be allowed out until it was literally impossible for me to be a Cylon

that took TWO HOURS

two hours of me sitting there going "guys are you still going to fuck me if i try to leave the brig"

• Options
    All these people want to play Twilight Imperium

I think we should institute a new player policy

all new players have to be foot stools and or drink fetchers

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Pony wrote:
    when designing characters for a superhero game I give not a single fuck if they are similar, but not identical to, another existing character

because quite frankly it's nearly impossible to have a wholly original concept that isn't overly esoteric or completely stupid
    Outside of people riffing on super obvious ones like metallic skeleton with claws and regeneration, or "arachnid dude", I completely agree.

My gaming table tried to make truly unique heroes to the best of our knowledge for a M&M game... and by the end of the campaign, we had found our doppelgangers in the DC and Marvel lexicons.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I can't blame a game for having a mechanic in it, I can only blame a player who would exercise the option

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

There are an ample number of magic and occult based heroes. Wonder Woman is the most famous. But there are tons of them. And given that there is a virus green lantern, I'm sure a zombie virus could be made to work with the right backstory. The right backstory would be key.

I did not know Wonder Woman was magic.

just read about the virus green lantern here

I'm sorry, but that is some retarded bullshittery happening right there.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:

that was how I felt when I got brigged on turn 1 of BSG and would not be allowed out until it was literally impossible for me to be a Cylon

that took TWO HOURS

two hours of me sitting there going "guys are you still going to fuck me if i try to leave the brig"
    Get Exodus. That ceases being an issue.

• Options
    Pony wrote:

Oh I'm not calling him out on it. It's pretty unlikely he knows the Wild Cards series since it's pretty obscure. I just wanted him to relax about it because it's almost impossible to come up with a completely orginal character. Which doesn't have to be a bad things. Small twists on a character let you tell different stories. There are Captain Marvel stories you can tell that you can't really tell with Superman.

• Options
    the one time i got really mad at twilight imperium

the situation i described earlier

i like to think i hid my rage well

i wouldn't want to make game night awkward

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the colors, duke

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Memoir 44?

Psh, desc with your ameritrash, psh!

(just yanking ya)

I'll show you who is yanking whom!

Wait this sounds like I'm getting into more than I bargained for

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the one time i got really mad at twilight imperium

the situation i described earlier

i like to think i hid my rage well

i wouldn't want to make game night awkward

WELL YOU'VE ALL REALLY RUINED MY NIGHT!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Pony wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

like yes it is tempting

"Hey dude, think of it this way: now you can hang out and watch and get us drinks!"

I can't think of any non-douchey person that would not insist the game be restarted.

This discussion has been closed.