As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paul Christoforo vs. The World or How to stop worrying and love the internet bomb

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    [snip]
    So, was Mike morally able to post the e-mail chain and direct viewers to this man? I think he was, but honestly, if we really get into detail, I'm not so sure. If a lunatic went and shot Paul's wife, would you still say Mike was completely in the clear? Or would you say that Mike had nothing to do with it, because after all, he (much like any of us) can't be responsible for the hurtful actions of other people? If I call the cops on a drug-dealing neighbor, am I morally responsible for the drug-dealing neighbor getting kicked out of his apartment? Am I morally responsible for the drug-dealing neighbor beating his wife because he was frustrated at having to find a new place to live? If I tell a friend that his wife is cheating on him, am I responsible for his acts of violence against her?

As an individual nobody, am I obligated to restrain myself out of fear of how other people might make bizarre and damaging or violent behavior? If I have a website as popular as PA, does the same standard apply?

Um, yes, because Mike only put Paul's business information up. And didn't even mention that he had a family.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Ego wrote:
    Ego wrote:
    No, it's really not crass to tell people how customer service has treated you.
    And that's a straw man.

Nah. Forwarding e-mail exchanges when dealing with customer service is totally legit --that or consumerist really has something backwards.
    nah what? I didn't say that telling people how CS has treated you was a bad thing. That's why it's a straw man.

So what is your main objection as to how Mike or Dave handled things? What is it that they did that was "wrong."

!
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Lunatics are going to act like lunatics. Basing any potential action you have on what a crazy person might do is a path you probably don't want to go down as a society.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    They had everything to do with PA when paul name-dropped PAX, nothing about those e-mails was private other than the fact that they had not yet been shared.
    which means they were private.

You are categorically wrong about this. I work in a customer service center. Nothing I do here is private. My phone calls are recorded, my screen actions can be recorded. It is assumed with any company you work for, and per legal precedent, that your actions dealing with any customer have no expectation of privacy. The fac tthat this was some dude sitting at his computer in hi home office does not excuse him from that legal precedent.
    What does that have to do with it? Dave isn't Paul's employer and as such isn't the one recording his phone calls and isn't in charge of his business email.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    This was. a "proper legal channel."
    It was legal, it was not proper.

And you still can't come up with a reason why not.

It's self evident from the word 'proper'.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    KalTorak wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

And you still can't come up with a reason why not.

It's self evident from the word 'proper'.

It's either legal or it's not. It's legal. Proper doesn't mean a thing.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote:

Care to tell us the proper channel to warn others about terrible business practices then?
    Why?

• Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    They had everything to do with PA when paul name-dropped PAX, nothing about those e-mails was private other than the fact that they had not yet been shared.

You are categorically wrong about this. I work in a customer service center. Nothing I do here is private. My phone calls are recorded, my screen actions can be recorded. It is assumed with any company you work for, and per legal precedent, that your actions dealing with any customer have no expectation of privacy. The fac tthat this was some dude sitting at his computer in hi home office does not excuse him from that legal precedent.
    What does that have to do with it? Dave isn't Paul's employer and as such isn't the one recording his phone calls and isn't in charge of his business email.

Oh geez dude, just stop. This is getting embarrassing.

WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    So Paul currently has control of the avenger controller site? It's a parked domain currently.. I mean I'm not a lawyer obviously but if he was fired and that's company property isn't he technically doing something legally actionable, at least in a civil sense?

I believe that this situation has been defused in N-Control's favor.
    I posted that this morning. From the new PR guy:
    I've been trying to get him to give up the access to these things he's been holding hostage (email accounts, Twitter, etc) by asking nicely for a couple of days. The gloves are off now.

Paul told me on the phone two hours ago that "Eight months ago, I locked down all this stuff so they wouldn't be able to fuck with me. If they don't give me what I want, it's war." His demands include a contract written on his terms and substantial compensation, both immediate and for as long as the company continues to exist. He flaunted the PR debacle he created as proof that he "made the company a success", citing all the media and public attention as the "best thing that ever happened to Avenger".

He didn't count on the fact that I anticipated all of this and have been a computer hardware and web tech since I was 14.

The thing we did have is control over the AvengerController.com domain. It was transferred away from its original account, which Paul has complete control of. Because of how GoDaddy works, that old account retained all of the email addresses and their master control settings (forwarding and so on). He has continued to respond to customer emails from his personal GMail account and lied to me repeatedly about doing so.

I tried to play nice, and Paul played stupid, acting like he didn't have access to this master account, blaming his "Indian outsourced tech team" being on vacation. I gave him two days to give over N-Control's digital property.

He finally leveled with me tonight that he knew I wasn't that stupid and that he was lying about his access to all these accounts. That's when he issued the above-mentioned threat. He reiterated that he had the hosting, email, and everything on lockdown.

Unfortunately, since he doesn't control the domain, he couldn't be more wrong. "James", a GoDaddy support rep and avid redditor, who knew exactly who I was, confirmed that I could do exactly what I wanted to...

Around a hour ago, I parked the domain and killed all the CNAME settings. All that email and the website may be sitting on servers he has access to, but he can't log in to any of the mail or do anything to the website.

I'm getting on the phone with the hosting company to try to get help from them, now that we're past the point of diplomacy.

From the reddit AMA thread.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    Utter fucking tripe.

Emails between personal inboxes are not in any way shape or form similar to customer service responses. This wasn't a friendly conversation with friends, it was a business exchange.
    This makes no sense.
    I didn't say it wasn't a business exchange. That it wasn't a cosy chat between mates doesn't mean it wasn't private.
    These straw man arguments are silly.

Paul, you are as bad at this as you are at customer service. I know your name is being dragged through the mud and you want it to stop, but it's not going to until you admit you are responsible for this.

It doesn't matter that you didn't say it was a business exchange. That's what it is. A customer purchased goods and reached out to you to figure out what all the delays were about. You responded by being unhelpful, rude, and condescending all while escalating the situation at every opportunity.

Business exchanges are not subject to the same privacy laws that personal exchanges are, which is why there is no invasion of privacy. At all.
    I'm not Paul. What kind of lazy thinking is it to assume that I must be the person concerned simply because I don't agree with you? I don't even live in America.

Maybe this is where the disconnect is happening and why everyone is "boggling" that you think that it is morally wrong to expose bad business practices. Its how things happen in North America, its common it happens all the time.
    Another straw man argument. I didn't say it was morally wrong to expose bad practise.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:

Care to tell us the proper channel to warn others about terrible business practices then?
    Why?

Because you keep bringing it up.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

That word you keep using, I do not think it means what you think it means.
    which word?

• Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:

Right, I've been following this for pages, and I have no idea how your mind works.

If you, personally, ended up having an email exchange with a business that went in the same direction as Customer Dave and Paul's went, how precisely would you have dealt with it? I'm honestly curious, because you have not made a single argument that made sense to me so far.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote:
    You're definitely Paul Christoforo, ghost whistler. Again, not once have you acknowledged that shitty customer service was provided. All of your posts have been about how Dave was morally wrong to forward the emails.

If we're going to talk about personal responsibility and moral high ground, how come Paul's use of intimidation does not get scrutiny?
    I'm not trying to discuss Paul's behaviour. That speaks for itself. I'm discussing the response. You seem to think that means I condone his behaviour. That would be your mistake.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    If I shopped at wal-mart and the cashier made snide jokes about my choice of toothpaste I sure as hell would shit in their cheerios and get them fired and probably ruin their ability to hold down a job as a cashier pretty much for the next 10 years.
    Then you're in for a very lonely life.
    OH NOEZ CASHIER AT WAL-MART NO LIKE ME?! ENACT DEPRESSION!

Grow up, there are consequences in real life for being a dick.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HAH! We're not pretending we don't understand you! That's callin' us stupid.

And that's putting words in my mouth, something you need to stop doing.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    HAH! We're not pretending we don't understand you! That's callin' us stupid.

And that's putting words in my mouth, something you need to stop doing.
    Best way to do that might be to shut it. At least until you're willing or able to answer:
    Can you articulate why a terrible customer service email can not be shared but a story about it can be?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote:
    Look at his posting history. Prior to this thread, his last posts were back in May. I think it's weird that he would suddenly feel the urge to return to a community to defend a guy he doesn't know.
    Do you enjoy your paranoia? Perhaps turn the TV off once in a while.

• Options
    LordOfTheCheeseLordOfTheCheese BF3: Scyleric Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

Why?

Because you keep bringing it up.

Yea, this ^

You are saying the way it went down is wrong, we want to hear the correct way to do it then.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote:
    Utter fucking tripe.

Emails between personal inboxes are not in any way shape or form similar to customer service responses. This wasn't a friendly conversation with friends, it was a business exchange.
    This makes no sense.
    I didn't say it wasn't a business exchange. That it wasn't a cosy chat between mates doesn't mean it wasn't private.

"Straw man arguments?" All of this is germaine to what you are talking about. You're saying they were private, and we're all explaining how they weren't. Then you are attempting to discredit what we are saying by calling them "straw man arguments."

That's it. He's a troll.
    Isn't it nice to have words to use against people you don't agree with.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Guys obvious troll is obvious now. Put away the food and let him die off.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2011
    Vanguard wrote:
    Look at his posting history. Prior to this thread, his last posts were back in May. I think it's weird that he would suddenly feel the urge to return to a community to defend a guy he doesn't know.

I don't have a TV, so how can I be paranoid?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:

I don't have a TV.

The hell is a TV

• Options
    I work in retail, so you can trust me when I say that no conversation between an employee and a customer is ever private.

What is the relevance of your line of work?
    The conversation was not conducted verball within an environment open to other people, such as a shop. it was conducted between two people vie email. It wasn't cc'd to the entire world, therefore it was private.

The relevance of my line of work is that I have seen firsthand how pissed-off customers should be handled, and what they do when they aren't handled properly, a concept which you cannot seem to grasp.
    admanb wrote:
    This new guy is a smart motherfucker.

I'm glad they actually got someone who understands PR in there. This guy is doing what should be done by posting that AMA on Reddit; color me impressed.

I can trust you? Well that's good then.
    I've already explained the difference between over the counter and email conversations. If you can't see that, well perhaps that trust is misplaced.

• Options
    Are you Paul Christoforo?
    No, not remotely.

Nor am I Spartacus.
    But you are either a troll, or simply full of shit and too ignorant to realize it. Seriously, are you even bothering to read what you write? Because you're trying to argue things, like the privacy of e-mails, that is literally not true.

I've also got to ask, how do you 'pretend' to be passive aggressive?
    How? easily. Why? God knows, perhaps to enable the snide abuse that your post exemplifies.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote:
    Utter fucking tripe.

This makes no sense.

"Straw man arguments?" All of this is germaine to what you are talking about. You're saying they were private, and we're all explaining how they weren't. Then you are attempting to discredit what we are saying by calling them "straw man arguments."

That's it. He's a troll.
    Isn't it nice to have words to use against people you don't agree with.

Yes, it's called "having an argument", which you don't.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:
    http://m.kotaku.com/5872042/a-beatdown-where-no-one-threw-the-first-punch

I know its Kotaku but I pretty much agree with all this.

I stopped reading when he claimed that bullies "look for a pretext that justifies" taking a swing. That's bullshit. It showed he has no understanding whatsoever of what bullies do, because for a bully the fact that you are smaller is all the pretext they need. At most they'll actively create the pretext if they think they need it, because they think it'll keep them out of trouble...for instance, pushing you repeatedly (which is still assault, mind you) until you swing.

Like, this Kotaku fuckjob obviously hasn't even read Paul's emails. The guy uses a guy picking a fight at a bar as an analogy for himself in his own defense. But yeah, he's not the bully. Nope.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Yeah, Paul is so concerned with his family that he's openly hijacked corporate email accounts. This is not at all because he was called out on his bullshit made the whole thing up and/or is proving the point that he's an imbecile fueling other potential threats to the family he oh so cares about.

Mike did everyone a favor by making the matter public. One, because it got the people waiting something for their troubles where, if this idiot was allowed to continue to represent company interests, would have got nothing other than Paul's self important diatribe. Two, because this will serve as a lesson to other companies who have adopted this broken headed practice of avoiding responsibility for their actions when people have already paid for something a month in advance.

"Proper" would have been Dave receiving an email void of belligerent tones with accurate and complete information before having to resort to the Krahulik signal. It wasn't wrong of Mike to stick up for people because of what I just said.

• Options
    gw, I don't understand your issue with this, if you even genuinely have an issue. If somebody is providing you with a shitty service, and you think other people should know about this shitty service and you don't think people should use this service and should find a better service, so you tell people publicly about the shitty service you received, that's not morally wrong, or legally wrong, or even a moral grey area. That's exactly how the world is supposed to work.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I've already explained the difference between over the counter and email conversations. If you can't see that, well perhaps that trust is misplaced.
    There is no difference. Keeping them private would only be a matter of courtesy, not legality or morality. It's not like Dave signed a confidentiality agreement.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:
    http://m.kotaku.com/5872042/a-beatdown-where-no-one-threw-the-first-punch

I know its Kotaku but I pretty much agree with all this.

I stopped reading when he claimed that bullies "look for a pretext that justifies" taking a swing. That's bullshit. It showed he has no understanding whatsoever of what bullies do, because for a bully the fact that you are smaller is all the pretext they need. At most they'll actively create the pretext if they think they need it, because they think it'll keep them out of trouble...for instance, pushing you repeatedly (which is still assault, mind you) until you swing.

Like, this Kotaku fuckjob obviously hasn't even read Paul's emails. The guy uses a guy picking a fight at a bar as an analogy for himself in his own defense. But yeah, he's not the bully. Nope.

I wouldn't throw Kotaku into the fire. It's Owen Good that just has no concept of causality or anything rational.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    devCharles wrote:
    It's so rare to see people's ineptness actually come back to bite them in the ass in the business world with regards to marketing. You usually have to go so far, be so stupid to not be able to explain away your own foolish decisions in something that is supposed to appeal to people in a subjective manner. Personally, I'm just glad that somebody is actually being held responsible for their clearly terrible approach to doing business. That soapbox Mike has is substantial, and it's always great to see when he uses it for good (on top of child's play of course.)

Well, to be honest, most non-sociopaths will actually apologize because they realize they wronged someone.

Well, when a sociopath does it it's different because they do no wrong, and fuck you I'm not apologizing. He'll apologize eventually, but he won't mean it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The only reason Dave forwarded Mike the email in the first place was Paul's claim that they would be at PAX. And knowing Penny Arcade's history of being extremely straight with its fanbase, Dave knew this wasn't the kind of person Mike would want to have at PAX.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2011
    Trying to reason with ghost whistler is like trying to reason with Paul Christoforo.

Because he is Paul Christoforo Penny Arcade.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Avraham wrote:
    There is no difference. Keeping them private would only be a matter of courtesy, not legality or morality. It's not like Dave signed a confidentiality agreement.

I'd also be willing to bet that there was no confidentiality disclaimer at the bottom of any of those emails, hence this would have had lawyers telling all parties involved to not say anything.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    You're not making any sense.

Dave clearly had a bad customer experience. Is he or is he not allowed to tell anyone about it?

Is it OK if he just tells his friends? What if one of his friends ran a gaming blog? Is he then not allowed to tell that person?
    I didn't say that Dave didn't have a bad customer experience nor intimate any such thing. He can quite happily tell people about whatever he likes, but that doesn't excuse choosing to pass on what was sent to him and him alone to whomever he likes. That he can physically do so, because a computer lets him cc it to Mr Penny Arcade, doesn't actually make it morally acceptable.
    I woukld also suggest that pretending you don't understand what I'm saying doesn't make you look smart; it's pretty facile.

Wow .. just wow .. "He can tell anyone he wants about this abusive service he got .. he just can't send out concrete proof of it happening, that's over the line".
    Without a paper trail and a way to prove that this outlandishly ridiculous event occurred it could all be hearsay and slander ... hell yeah I'm going to include the original documents if I'm going to call someone's douchebaggery out. How does that not make sense to you?
    YOu seem intent on missing the point: we aren't talking about providing proof that Paul is a poor businessman. We are talking about Krahulik tacitly, if nothing else, encouraging the internet, through his influence, to behave in a vindictive nasty fashion. Deciding to post that information publicly and thus cause that to happen is poor form.
    There was no need to share this information; dressing this up as some kind of consumer rights public service is really rather shallow and disingenuous.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There was no need to share this information; dressing this up as some kind of consumer rights public service is really rather shallow and disingenuous.

Except it isn't. He provided his business contact information so consumers could tell him what a bad job he is doing.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    YOu seem intent on missing the point: we aren't talking about providing proof that Paul is a poor businessman. We are talking about Krahulik tacitly, if nothing else, encouraging the internet, through his influence, to behave in a vindictive nasty fashion. Deciding to post that information publicly and thus cause that to happen is poor form.

*yawn*

You done yet, buddy?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I work telephone and email customer service. Whenever I correspond with customers or with other departments, I always write as if anyone, ANYONE could be reading. The only exception is when I'm using the company's IM system to chat with people I am actually friends with.

Certainly I would never send an email that was anything other than professional to a customer. First of all, if you're anything other than a complete idiot, you realize that email is automatically "on record."

All this stuff is pretty basic customer service stuff. It's not like rocket science or anything. Saying that somehow this was anyone's fault other than the guy who dug himself a whole and lit himself on fire is a bit foolish. I can only assume that anyone making that argument has never been in customer service for even five minutes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular

What Mike did is no different than someone posting the email and phone number of their senator, representative, city council member, or a company that you are not happy with, and asking people to call in and ask for change.

This discussion has been closed.