As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glossolalia: Everyone's Going Insane (Including Speed Racer)

StiltsStilts Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
2years.png

Welcome to the Gloss thread! In here, a bunch of nerds create characters and play RPs created by other nerds. Right now we have five games going on at the same time and will soon have a sixth game (it's about giant robots!), so you should be able to find at least one that suits your tastes. They include:
Derelict-1.png

Derelict is a post-apocalyptic steampunk pirate adventure set on a desert planet that's obviously ripped off from Trigun and Big O, regardless of how much Speed Racer tries to hide it. It follows the adventures of a bunch of rough-and-tumble dudes just trying to survive in a world that constantly attempts to both kill and humiliate them.

It's basically the Demon/Dark Souls of SE++ PbPs.

In addition to in-character posts made in this thread, the players of Derelict meet once a week on instant messenger to have a live play session.

res.png

The year is 2560, and humanity has colonized the solar system. On the terraformed, paradise-world of Callisto, the Temple of the Harmonic Mind teaches a select group of dedicated humans to attune their minds and bodies to the patterns and rythms of the universe. The training is difficult, but once completed the monks can bend the fundamental elements of our world--earth, fire, water, and even the fabric of space--to their will. However, many teachers believe that one's talents can only be found in the heat of battle.

It's for this reason that a handful of students was sent to Mars to shut down a small band of slavers. The mission was a success, but the clues they found there, combined with a surprise attack on Callisto by an unusual alliance of space pirates, led them on a much bigger, much more dangerous endeavor. Their new goal: to save the monks the pirates captured and discover why the brains behind the operation, a man named Thomas McAllister, is so obssessed with finding out "the truth" behind the Harmonic Mind.

Also they should probably look into that whole hostile-alien-buried-beneath-Europa thing.

SlateGray.png

A band of colorful characters wake up in the brig of an airship with no memory of who they are, where they're from or why anyone would bother to capture them. In the process of escaping their imprisonment, they learn they're all members of the Slate family, and that someone's been sending letters in red envelopes that make rather suspicious requests of certain powerful people and organizations. Hoping to find some answers (and a place to temporarily call home), the Slate siblings have teamed up with the Serpent Clan. With the Clan's influence and the Slates' skills, they've managed to uncover a massive rebel movement against the Royals: the superhumans that rule this world.

The Slates are too late to stop the rebels from mobilizing, but they still have a chance to nip this revolution in the bud before the world lies in ruin.

GMed by DE?AD

Wanderer

In a fantasy world where magic and technology exist side by side, a group of adventures find themselves stuck with each other when a Geo-Drake attacks and obliterates the town they all happen to be visiting. With the help of mysterious spirits that protect them and boost their abilities, they manage to survive and temporarily defeat the Drake.

Unfortunately, things have gone from bad to worse. Now the adventurers are trapped in a ramshackle village that's currently under seige by a swarm of strange blue insect-like creatures that can channel lightning. They're going to need to destroy the hive to stop the attacks once and for all, but will they be forced to sacrifice the village to succeed?

GMed by DJP
Rules | Races | Classes | Glossary

Kingafire2.png

So here's the deal. A king has imprisoned you to test your skills. You made a good effort of getting out, so he recruited you for a very important mission: he lost his kingdom and he wants it back. And if you ever want your freedom again, you're going to help him get it back. Sound good?

No?

Well too bad, you don't have much a choice.

Your first mission is to get the king's forest back; and to do that, you're going to need to take care of the guardian. Options include: diplomacy, defeating it in face-to-face battle and exploding a volcano. Have fun, suckers.

GMed by Dubh

Hey, I wanna play too!

Hurray! We are always glad to have more new players. Each currently running game uses some variation of DE?AD's own currently-in-progress role-playing system, [%]. The system is designed for ease-of-use, and even if you've never played an RPG before, it should be very easy for you to pick up and understand. The current edition of the [%] Core Rules can be found on the Glossolalia wiki here. For the most part, though, as a player you don't actually need to know most of that stuff, as your GM will take care of the majority of it for you. The main thing you'll need to know is how to create a character.

How to create a character for Derelict
Come up with a cool idea for some kinda salty sailor. Then, give him or her three [Talents] and three [Flaws]. More importantly though, give the character a neat personality and backstory. The plot of Derelict is heavily driven by the characters, because Speed is too lazy to come up with his own plots it helps to foster a sense of collaborative storytelling. So having your character be interesting is far more important than specifying what they're good or bad at!

Your stat sheet should be formatted like:

[Character Name]
[Talent] [Talent] [Talent]
[Flaw] [Flaw] [Flaw]

Also, if you play Derelict you get to contribute to its worldbuilding! If you have a neat idea about how some part of this hideous Frankenstein of a setting should work, then post it! It will become "canon," presuming it doesn't contradict anything that someone's already come up with and pending Speed's approval.
How to create a character for Resonance
Ah, you missed out on your chance to get that last spot in Derelict huh? Tough break. Tough. Break. But that's alright, Resonance and Slate Gray are also cool. Especially since I run one of them.

Every player in Resonance takes on the role of a novice monk of the Temple of the Harmonic Mind. Because you have only started your journey, you haven't fully developed any skills yet. Your stat line should look like this:

[Group] [Character Name] 0
[??? (???)] [???] [???]
[I: Harmonic Mind Gi]

As the game progresses, Traits will be announced that any player can take and add to their statline. These traits are permanent and cannot be gotten rid of once you take them.

[??? (???)]] refers to your character's fighting style. In the parentheses goes the element that your character can manipulate through martial arts. After acquiring an element, I will determine an appropriate name to fill in the other set of ???, giving a label to the way you conduct yourself in battle.

The number next to your name represents your character's current Ki Points. You earn Ki Points from roleplaying like a boss, and can spend them to increase your chances on things.

The third line is your inventory, where important items your character owns are listed. Everyone starts with a Harmonic Mind Gi, which protects you from lethal damage. You can also start with any weapon you like, as long as it's martial-arty.
How to create a character for Slate Gray
Every player in Slate Gray plays the role of a member of the Slate family, each of which started out the adventure with a bad case of amnesa. As such, none of them remember what they're good at. Statlines in Slate Gray look like this:

[Character Name] 0 0 0
[???] [???] [???]
[I: ]

As you can see, Slate Gray uses a system very similar to Resonance's. The main difference is that instead of Ki Points, your character has three different colored points. You earn points of various colors for doing certain actions. Sometimes you even get crazy-colored points, like purple or something! Most of the better traits you can get in Slate Gray require certain point totals to unlock.
How to create a character for King Afire
Start out with this template:

[Name]
[????] [???][???] 0 0 0 0
[i: inventory]

If you've seen the sections on Resonance and Slate Gray, this probably looks familiar. Again, it's a derivative of the gain-traits-as-you-post system that DE?AD came up with. The first line is self-explanatory. The second line has two parts: your traits (the major trait is in bold, the two minor traits are not) and your points. These can be filled in by words in [Brackets] that the GM will unlock for purchase over the course of the game. Some you can take for free. Others, however, might be accompanied by colored numbers. This is where your points come in. As your character makes certain actions, the GM will award you with points of various colors. The color you get will be determined not only by the action you take but also by your intent. You can spend this points to purchase traits and inventory items.

IKknkhU.gif
Stilts on

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    look at all dem games

Dichotomy is in no way threatening my next big game idea

which has Antimatter's name written all over it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Oh sweet I get to be a robot super saiyan? This I can dig.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    this is a thing I always wanted to do but it seems like I could also be very bad at it!

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I like this thread title

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    this is a thing I always wanted to do but it seems like I could also be very bad at it!

You couldn't possibly be worse than anyone else in here.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    It's probably for the best if they aren't Combiner Robots. The level of cooperation I've seen in these games so far shows that it would likely end in tears and the subjugation of Earth.

Even if we aren't starting on Earth.

have you seen Megas XLR? I'm going to make them combine.

• Options

You couldn't possibly be worse than anyone else in here.

As long as you make a good effort to be intelligible then we'd be happy to have you.

We don't have some sort of "you must be THIS good at writing to post" rule.

Otherwise half of us would be screwed, and my game wouldn't even exist.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait a second, @DE?AD.

As I was updating the summary of Slate Gray, I realized the Royals have Blue blood.

Is...that a coincidence, or is it part of your grand scheme?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Is there about to be a new game starting soon? I would like to join this, but I don't want to jump in the middle of something.

• Options
    Stilts, let it die

• Options
    Whyther wrote:
    Is there about to be a new game starting soon? I would like to join this, but I don't want to jump in the middle of something.

Actually, there are two games that'll start soon.

Dichotomy will be running a game about giant robot pilots.

And DE?AD will soon be finishing Slate Gray and starting its sequel (though no knowledge of Slate Gray is required).

Antimatter wrote:
    Stilts, let it die

I'm legitimately curious!

I mean, DE?AD did say that we haven't figured anything out yet, and I never saw anyone put forth that theory. And he does want us to guess.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Seriously Hullis, it ain't some fancy-pants broo-ha-ha with cigars and tie-pins.

(Marius) 6 15 10
    [Carnithrope][Crazy][?]
    [i: ???]

Marius is stunned at the sight, a real pure blood falling like that. For a moment, he wondered if it would work on him. The moment quickly passed, there were crabs to kill. Grabbing the crawdad being lifted by Raegar at the ankles, Marius pulls like a tug-o-war champ, letting the blades eviscerate the soldier.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    For those wanting to join games, PostSlateGray is going to be starting as soon as SlateGray ends (meaning in the next couple of weeks) and unless he's changed his mind de?ad is always looking for new players

digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote:
    Whyther wrote:

Actually, there are two games that'll start soon.

Dichotomy will be running a game about giant robot pilots.

And DE?AD will soon be finishing Slate Gray and starting its sequel (though no knowledge of Slate Gray is required).

Sounds cool. I will pay attention to this thread and try and join one of these.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    aw man

I was gonna take over the thread again with the title "In the grim future of the grim future of Glossolalia, there is still only Derelict"

• Options
    I would play a game about giant robot pilots

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    also I am perpetually chomping at the bit to run a purely PBP game about time traveling secret agents alongside derelict

and constantly telling myself that running two games is a completely moronic idea

one day though my moronic side may very well win out

• Options
    Hullis wrote:

Icebot
    Mavericktron
    Goosedam

• Options

I approve of this description

• Options
    gonna beat Stilts to the punch

gonna make The Great Big Q

• Options

Yeah, I thought you'd like that.

Also, how far along are we in Derelict's story? 'Cuz it seems like we've done A LOT.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    Hullis wrote:

Icebot
    Mavericktron
    Goosedam
    My character will be a young man who was exiled from his unit in japan for thinking it worked exactly like sakura wars

• Options
    Hullis wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Hullis wrote:

Icebot
    Mavericktron
    Goosedam
    My character will be a young man who was exiled from his unit in japan for thinking it worked exactly like sakura wars

Yeah.

You'll fit in just fine.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Hullis wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Hullis wrote:

Icebot
    Mavericktron
    Goosedam

god
    damn it

i just wanted to make a top gun/robots joke

• Options
    "look, when I groped her I thought it would improve her combat abilities!"

• Options
    TITAN is

not nearly ready to go live yet
    but I have taken the liberty of preparing a document with information you might want for character creation
    if anything doesn't make sense let me know

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stilts wrote:

Yeah, I thought you'd like that.

Also, how far along are we in Derelict's story? 'Cuz it seems like we've done A LOT.

It's hard for me to say because I only plan very general arcs

I mean the mission you're doing right now was originally supposed to take place immediately after the first elliot galk mission

and the Cursed having something to do with the Machine was something I completely made up out of thin air in the post where I revealed it

I guess we can look at it this way though. By the end of this mission we will have:

-toppled one out of two southern hemispheric powers

-met six out of ten Cursed

-killed zero out of ten Cursed

-completed 2 "loyalty mission" type quests, for Jessie and for Connagher, out of a potential 5-7. Which isn't to say everyone's getting a personal mission but they most likely will.

-explored about one half of the earth

-made zero out of a possible ??? player characters into Curseds.

My gut says we're at approximately the halfway point, but I really couldn't say for certain.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    also re: players I will be incredibly blunt

to start off with I'm only gonna be looking for like five people tops

I may add more players if I do okay with five, but at the beginning, five

also there's no first-come-first-served considerations, and basically no provision given to people I do not know that well, I will be choosing my favorites and you're just going to have to be okay with that
    I am sorry if this ruins your giant robot fighting fantasies

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dich I totally understand wanting to use known quantities

• Options
    Dich the player isn't allowed to pick enough stats to make Megas there is some sort of oversight here

• Options
    edited December 2011
    besides DE?AD is doing his postslategray thing soon and I have seen him propositioning people in other threads to come play it so he'll be bound to take you in out of the cold

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    also it has not yet been put in the character creation document but one of the fundamental rules of TITAN is that each player has a contractual obligation to by a certain point in the narrative have a Finishing Move

consider it wisely

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, DE?AD is rounding up as many people as he can for his game.

Also, Dich: I like that your use of points is essentially the same as my ki points.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Dich I totally understand wanting to use known quantities

I'd like to counter with "familiarity breeds contempt".

• Options
    I like how every other game has an up-to-date plot summary

but derelict is just "fuck dude stay away"

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Did we ever watch Redline, guys? If not, when we gonna do that? Wanna do that.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dichotomy in the past thirty seconds I have come up with 8 separate finishers

• Options

I'm gonna do that either tomorrow night or Sunday night.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote:

Ah, I will be hailing the next year in some party or another tomorrow night.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Stilts wrote:

Ah, I will be hailing the next year in some party or another tomorrow night.

Oh yeah. It's New Years Eve tomorrow.

All right, then Sunday night it is.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.