As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Xaquin wrote: »
    that's awesome!

I kind of wish I had thought of that lol

Not going to lie - when there is no bedding or stuff under it, it shows my lack of woodworking experience in terms of some not quite straight sides and corners, but it was fun and it's definitely stable. We basically found a set of instructions on instructables on lofting existing college beds and bastardized them.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    @Xaquin Thank you! That mint green is her favorite color, so I was working around that idea mostly. Totally not my usual palette, but I was pretty happy with how it came out!

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I love when I finish a painting and get to look at the progress pictures I took.

tumblr_nl2q5emEn31twpgv4o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_nl2q5emEn31twpgv4o2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nl82gioMxe1twpgv4o1_540.jpg

Taya on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I bought a bunch of beads in a shape that requires wrapping....without realizing exactly how much wire I'd need to wrap each one. Whoops :rotate:

I haven't ordered the wire yet but fuuuuuuuu I'm going to need to up my initial amount, I think.

Also, damn, chain is expensive.

• Options
    @NightDragon chain is so expensive. Now I understand why a lot of etsy stores sell pendants and chains separately, because god damn.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    My friend made me these for christmas.
    3PLnXrC.jpg

I wish I could crochet. They're pretty badass. I've also been using them as pin holders.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Jewelry makers: I have a question.

A couple of years ago, I received a pair of pendants and a chain from my students. Of course, I didn't mark down anywhere where they'd gotten them from. I really want to find another chain with a clasp like it, but I don't know what to call it to even look, and my GooglyFu has failed me. It's a snake chain, and the closure is like a long earring post that slides into a foam-lined cylinder. It's wonderful, and I would really like a couple more. Do any of you know what that kind of closure is called?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've gotten to the pattern part of my blanket that I'm working on. It's, compicated? Not really? I mean it's just front and back post double crochets. But, man. I am apprehensive about this actually looking right.

Then again, I'm only about 4 rows into the pattern, let's see how we go a bit further in.

On row 50 of 240. I've used 1.75 balls of 8 ply acrylic.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So...it's come to my attention that my main Local Yarn Shop, which has also had a decent online presence in the past, has gone rapidly downhill in the last 6 months. Apparently there was a hostile takeover by one branch of the family, and they kicked out the people who had been running the business for the last 10 years. Now there's issues with inventory, order fulfillment, and general nastiness so don't want to give them my business anymore.

Any suggestions for good online shops? I'm pretty set for yarn, I'm thinking more on the needles and accessories side of things.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    @N1tSt4lker Can you post a picture of the clasp you mean?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    So...it's come to my attention that my main Local Yarn Shop, which has also had a decent online presence in the past, has gone rapidly downhill in the last 6 months. Apparently there was a hostile takeover by one branch of the family, and they kicked out the people who had been running the business for the last 10 years. Now there's issues with inventory, order fulfillment, and general nastiness so don't want to give them my business anymore.

Any suggestions for good online shops? I'm pretty set for yarn, I'm thinking more on the needles and accessories side of things.

I usually go to yarn.com

I dunno how other people feel about them. I shop there because their website is the most conducive for figuring out fiber content of yarn, which is really important for me because I'm allergic to so many different kinds of fiber. (This is also why I exclusively shop online now. Going to a local yarn store is nice, but you have to pick up all the yarn to read the fiber content and that's hard on my fingers.)

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    @Sheri
    tumblr_nl3x3es8qr1u34kk5o1_400.jpg

Also we finally spent about $100 on stuff to make the cat room into an art/craft room (blurry picture here) which I am hoping will motivate me to use my sewing machine more often and also do some art stuff since our supplies aren't all packed away. You can tell we're two artists that got married because we have an entire drawer that's just sketch pads and notepads with one or two drawings in them and the rest is blank.

• Options
    Belruel wrote: »
    @N1tSt4lker Can you post a picture of the clasp you mean?

It looks like this
    bZT42bI.jpg

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Today I learned that 54 treble crochet stitches in size 10 crochet thread with a size 8 hook is a special kind of hell.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    we made a knife

7ywWdyr.jpg

i found a combo wrench on the side of the road the other day, so i chopped off the ends and forged it out. i don't know exactly what kind of steel it is, but i spark tested it and it appears to be pretty high carbon i had to do more grinding than i'd like to get the bevel right and straighten the whole thing out, but i'm pretty damn pleased with the end result. for normalization it spent about three hours in a ceramics kiln at 1500F, then quenched in a bucket of plain ol' water. tempering was another two hours in the kiln at 525F till it was a nice straw color

the handle is ash, from a tree that got knocked down during hurricane sandy that i cut up for firewood last year. my brother whittled it down with a pocketknife, then sanded it smooth and put three coats of stain on

it isn't 100% done yet, my girlfriend's making a leather sheath for it, we still have to seal the handle and attach it permanently to the blade, and there's some scale still on the blade that needs a good vinegar soak because i wasn't as vigorous as i should've been coating it in soap before the heat treat, but all in all i am tremendously happy with how it turned out. it was our first attempt at making a for-real heat-treated steel tool and the whole process was just incredibly fun.

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hand tools are almost always chrome vanadium steel.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Hand tools are almost always chrome vanadium steel.

i thought they were generally only plated in chrome vanadium. i ground down the surface with a respirator before i started heating it up, and during the forging i was outside and it was windy, but should i be careful about fumes if i do this again?

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They are hard chrome plated, but the steel they are made from is CrV.

• Options
    Guys, help me come up with an Etsy shop name!

These are the kinds of things (and general "mood") I'm going to be aiming for:
    c43fb73739612b072a32b06a1ff80ecf.jpg
    99b638bece9778ee2fe651de048eaa8b.jpg
    8e807ad6527da9cc119e7c7d067d635b.jpg
    65640221fed74ff2e86277576530d41f.jpg
    a38111b189bce896882ed640b4a3ac79.jpg
    2015842aa0b329a3f3bfd299463c028e.jpg
    a5914fc5492eaf19f1ca560692e5f533.jpg

So earthy, mostly delicate...faceted/geometric shapes, some curves...gemstones, crystal, gold, silver, a little brass. Bright + clean. More color than the examples I've given too.

I'm trying to avoid puns and play-on-words kind of names...and trying to avoid anything super generic/hobby-sounding like "JensDesigns". I don't exactly want to use my name, since it's so common, and my last name is pretty generic too.

I'm open to new invented names, but I literally can't think of a damn thing. Initially I was thinking something along the lines of "Earth & Sand", or "EarthsEdge" but that's also hella generic, but perhaps it gives you an idea of what I'm aiming for.

Any ideas?! Or any places I can look to help give me ideas? I won't actually need it for another month (I need to make some things and photograph 'em before I HAVE to name my shop to open it)...but I'm stuck. Everything I think of sounds too generic or playful/amateur...or it sounds badass but WAY too "dark" of a mood. No "NightDragon'sDeathJewelzz" or anything. :P

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Those (quartz, I'm guessing) earrings are really beautiful.

I'm partial to stealing art history language/vocab for stuff like this. The words sound pretty (like chiaroscuro, sfumato, unione, cangiante, pietra dura, curvilinear, veristic, interplay, plasticity, modeling, etc) and they describe cool things. Also, artsy people love those words so they make you seem more appealing.

Not sure if that's too generic, though.

• Options
    Creagan wrote: »
    Those (quartz, I'm guessing) earrings are really beautiful.

I'm partial to stealing art history language/vocab for stuff like this. The words sound pretty (like chiaroscuro, sfumato, unione, cangiante, pietra dura, curvilinear, veristic, interplay, plasticity, modeling, etc) and they describe cool things. Also, artsy people love those words so they make you seem more appealing.

Not sure if that's too generic, though.

I actually really like how those roll off the tongue. Thanks!

Now I'm looking up the latin roots behind nature-y words and getting some cool ideas... :D

• Options
    Jen Mill's Gem Mill

Jewellery You'll Really <3

The Rural Juror

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Accessories That You Can't Even.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The Hoard.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I looked at the first photoand for some reason "RainDancer" was my first thought.

I love the multilayer look. Reminds me of Wind chimes and waterfalls.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Anyone have advice on giving estimates?
    A friend wants a somewhat extensive project done. I think I have a rough estimate of how much the project is going to cost me to make, but I'm not sure how much to increase it for labor and commission.

• Options
    What kind of project?

My rule of thumb for knitting is (my cost)x3 because in most cases if I add in a per hour labor cost it would be prohibitively expensive for the buyer.

• Options
    I'm making a large (roughly 26"x26") wood jewelry box, with 144, suede lined, spaces and a display window.

• Options
    Things to consider:

Your cost in materials: at the very least the amount you get for the piece should be double this.

The value of your time: you are being paid in part for your skill. It is up to you to determine this. As I said before, I tend to not consider this part. Let's say I charge $15 or more an hour in labor for a project that takes several hours. If I add to this the cost of materials the result will likely be a well-made product that the client nevertheless deems too expensive.

What the client is willing to pay: you may not know this until after your first estimate. Sometimes you can feel this out, other times you just have to flat out ask "how much do you expect to pay?" And then figure out if you can do it for that number before agreeing to do it.

What similar items sell for: Etsy can help you with this, although IMHO many sellers on etsy have inflated prices.

And so I use (my cost)x3 as a baseline, with the caveat that I've only sold a few things and they all took only a few hours of work to complete. If it took longer than 3-4 hours I might adjust that higher.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Things to consider:

Your cost in materials: at the very least the amount you get for the piece should be double this.

The value of your time: you are being paid in part for your skill. It is up to you to determine this. As I said before, I tend to not consider this part. Let's say I charge $15 or more an hour in labor for a project that takes several hours. If I add to this the cost of materials the result will likely be a well-made product that the client nevertheless deems too expensive.

What the client is willing to pay: you may not know this until after your first estimate. Sometimes you can feel this out, other times you just have to flat out ask "how much do you expect to pay?" And then figure out if you can do it for that number before agreeing to do it.

What similar items sell for: Etsy can help you with this, although IMHO many sellers on etsy have inflated prices.

And so I use (my cost)x3 as a baseline, with the caveat that I've only sold a few things and they all took only a few hours of work to complete. If it took longer than 3-4 hours I might adjust that higher.

Re: Etsy
    I've actually had more problems with people undervaluing rather than overvaluing, but that's me

Costx3 is usually my baseline for commissions, and usually I quote higher if it's not for a friend, but that's more because I have too much fuckin' work to do and not enough time to do it. I also occasionally knit per diem on items like caps and scarves, and I usually go a bit lower on that because of volume (but also because I'm a freak who can knit an entire hat or a scarf in the movie theater in the dark so it's basically like paying me to go to the movies.)

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I'm making a large (roughly 26"x26") wood jewelry box, with 144, suede lined, spaces and a display window.

Ok, this sounds like whole hella work. I guess you're looking at... 22 insert pieces of wood that need to be cut to fit, and how is the suede lining being applied-- just to the bottom? So you need to itemize each component of this, IMO, first things first, and slightly overestimate (unless these are materials you already have in hand?)

• Options

Ok, this sounds like whole hella work. I guess you're looking at... 22 insert pieces of wood that need to be cut to fit, and how is the suede lining being applied-- just to the bottom? So you need to itemize each component of this, IMO, first things first, and slightly overestimate (unless these are materials you already have in hand?)

The general idea I was given was this
    IMG_2179_zpsexuhvzlf.jpg

but bigger and with a window on top. The spaces will be laid out 12x12, and need to be anywhere from 1.5"^3 to 2"^3.

The spacers will be slats, with the suede like it is in the pictured one (long strips front to back, and the slats running parallel to that will be covered).

• Options

The general idea I was given was this
    IMG_2179_zpsexuhvzlf.jpg

but bigger and with a window on top. The spaces will be laid out 12x12, and need to be anywhere from 1.5"^3 to 2"^3.

The spacers will be slats, with the suede like it is in the pictured one (long strips front to back, and the slats running parallel to that will be covered).

At least $1000. If they balk, encourage them to go get quotes from someone else, and come back to you afterwards.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    $70 it is!

Edit: Friend discount, it come with the caveat of "something I haven't done before in wood", it is going to be stained wood, not laminate, and the minimum aesthetic is "doesn't look like butts". Similar sized boxes cost about $280.

Also, if I do this, I know I can and I have a better idea of how much time the whole thing takes. I'm going to double up on the project and sell the best one to my friend for the commission and the other is either going to be for me or something to sell based on the quality. The $70 will cover the cost of both.

Doing two at once gives me room to make up for any mistakes and isn't significantly harder than doing one.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    I would make sure that the friend knows that that is a one-time price, and that it is low-balling it hardcore.

You don't want to feel locked/guilted into that price in the future, either with him again or other friends, or friends' friends if they see it and love it and want their own for under a hundo.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    $70 seems very low for a handcrafted hinged box with a reasonably complex inlay.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Just the time spent doing the staining and varnishing to get a high quality furniture finish would seem like it'd be worth $70.

This discussion has been closed.