As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    You know what's the best thing about this game and every shooter from now on should do? Weapon damage based on caliber.

Seriously: it's a testament to the balance of the game* that we all have a favorite gun/combination in here; no one is wrong and no one is right when we recommend a set up. But it's totally up to you! Find what works for you. While damage is fairly consistent a weapons speed, recoil, spread, and the effects of attachments thereof may just provide enough variation that while I prefer a G3 with irons, you want something faster firing with a larger clip and a laser for more run and gun vs. scoot, stop, and shoot.

*USAS/Frag shells, AS-VAL head shot multipliers withstanding.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Don't friend Krunk! It's a trap! He'll make you think; oh good I don't have to play with pubbies tonight, there be PA folk online! And then BOOM 5 minutes in he'll "hard-lock" and never come back :P

Also, I really liked console Metro Rush....then everybody and their grandma unlocked a certain weapon+attachment. Although I did somehow start my last round 12-0 with the QBU, which for me is like winning the lottery. Guess I need to drink while playing more often.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    Don't friend Krunk! It's a trap! He'll make you think; oh good I don't have to play with pubbies tonight, there be PA folk online! And then BOOM 5 minutes in he'll "hard-lock" and never come back :P

Also, I really liked console Metro Rush....then everybody and their grandma unlocked a certain weapon+attachment. Although I did somehow start my last round 12-0 with the QBU, which for me is like winning the lottery. Guess I need to drink while playing more often.

Yeah, when I first played I really enjoyed Metro. Then I started getting murdered by the damn USAS.

I also always seem to end up as US on the map. I hate fighting up those stupid escalators.

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

Hey! Don't tell them about my plan!

Also, are you west coast? Seems like every time I'm hopping off to go to bed, you're just logging on.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Haha

yes a 64player TDM server with regular tickets. Yes I do want to spend 50% of my evening loading new maps. Great idea!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    WBM99 wrote: »
    Clarification: I want a bolt-action rifle not any of this semi-auto mumbo jumbo. I want a rifle that doesn't take 3 shots to kill someone with.

I've been rocking the M98 with ACOG and it's been fun. 1-2 shot kills depending on where I get them, and no scope glint. It's great for mid-range combat which I prefer. And you actually have a decent amount of magnification that doesn't completely obscure your field of view.
    I prefer the 3.4 scopes just due to the wider view on them. The 4x scopes feel super claustrophobic to me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I find the PKA Russian 3.4x scope is about the all around scope for me. I will put it on anything that I can.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    We should play a game right now

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Finally got the M98. It feels so much better than the other rifles. Shit just got real.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    That's just because it's twice the size.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Interestingly, searching for "Arcadians" in the platoon finder didn't find you guys. Found the 101st Arcadians and applied to join though! edit: I'm Dohaeris

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Even blowtorching enemy MAV's, TUG's or beacons or whatever is now impossible.

Just because I want the assignment those things are no longer anywhere to be found!

• Options
    edited March 2012

Hey! Don't tell them about my plan!

Also, are you west coast? Seems like every time I'm hopping off to go to bed, you're just logging on.

Unfortunately no. My schedule has been a bit nuts so my gaming sessions haven't been starting until ~11pm

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    bf3-dlc-jpg.722

Battlefieldo fansite is saying that character in last DLC box cover shot is in a jungle leading to speculation it is another Vietnam pack.

• Options
    Excellent box art increasing in excellent from left to right.

Really looking forward to hearing more about this End Game!

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    get on ze battlelog

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    I didn't realize how awful the targeting on the Javelins was until today. Watched a couple go for a top attack about 30 degrees off from where the tank in question was/ A couple go for a top attack, wait until they get just barely above the tank and hang a hard right to pick off some offending bit of scrub on a nearby hill. One notable one (fired at a tank across the road) went to the tank, around to its side and then pulled a horizontal yo-yo for 5 seconds before hitting the side of the tank. Said tank was head on to me.

The best bit is that it doesn't seem to matter if the tank is soflam'd or not, that sort of shit still happens.

On a related note: anyone know how the javelins decide if they're going to go for the top attack or not? They at least usually will if the target is soflam'd (but not always), but what about if its not?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I find the PKA Russian 3.4x scope is about the all around scope for me. I will put it on anything that I can.

Yeah, that scope is fantastic. Easily one of the best in the game.
    Syrdon wrote: »
    I didn't realize how awful the targeting on the Javelins was until today. Watched a couple go for a top attack about 30 degrees off from where the tank in question was/ A couple go for a top attack, wait until they get just barely above the tank and hang a hard right to pick off some offending bit of scrub on a nearby hill. One notable one (fired at a tank across the road) went to the tank, around to its side and then pulled a horizontal yo-yo for 5 seconds before hitting the side of the tank. Said tank was head on to me.

The best bit is that it doesn't seem to matter if the tank is soflam'd or not, that sort of shit still happens.

On a related note: anyone know how the javelins decide if they're going to go for the top attack or not? They at least usually will if the target is soflam'd (but not always), but what about if its not?

Thankfully Jav behavior and the lock on problems are being cleaned up in the next patch so they'll be far less frustrating to use.
    Warcry wrote: »
    http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/03/inside-dice-post-launch-balancing/

Demize99 explains how he crafts the game changing patches he does.

It's incredibly disheartening that the topic pulling the most votes is the god damn USAS w/ Frag 12 explanation. It's just more evidence that your average pubby is a blithering fucking idiot.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    dubble pust

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The vehicle on the Armored Kill cover doesn't look like a Abrams.

Looks like some sort of wheeled vehicle with a turret cannon. Not a Stryker MGS.

Almost looks like this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AMX-10-RC.JPG
    but not quite.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It's incredibly disheartening that the topic pulling the most votes is the god damn USAS w/ Frag 12 explanation. It's just more evidence that your average pubby is a blithering fucking idiot.

In terms of an explanation I would be curious to see the number of USAS service stars compared to every other weapon combined, or is that info already public?

• Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    Not really seeing how they can tell the guy is in a jungle. The awful image quality combined with the art style makes it hard to see anything.

Really hoping End Game has the ice caps growing, leading to BF2143 in 2013.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lol, a jungle for End Game? That clearly looks like he's being chased down by a car , in the rain, with city lights in the background. Hell, that red light could be on top of the car, some sort of emergency vehicle.

It's very reminiscent of the Paris SP level where you're chasing the guy with the nuke.

Oakey on
  • Options
    Not really seeing how they can tell the guy is in a jungle. The awful image quality combined with the art style makes it hard to see anything.

Really hoping End Game has the ice caps growing, leading to BF2143 in 2013.
    Oh god yes. Maps that set up the BF2142 story for an eventual lead in to BF2143.
    YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    People are saying dinosaurs

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    BXtOi.jpg

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I'd pay a lot to play BF3 as Jeff Goldblum.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    BXtOi.jpg

oh my fuck

NEW THREAD TITLE

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Fucking sick of overpowered raptors though

Every fucking pubbie rocking raptor with dual claws and double jump

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    BigDes wrote: »
    Fucking sick of overpowered raptors though

Every fucking pubbie rocking raptor with dual claws and double jump

Ever tried to get C4 onto a Stegosaurus? They smell you from like 50 yards away with Proximity Scent. Broken as all hell.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    and the headbite multiplier on the T Rex is just fucking broken

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To be fair the T REX was only clocked at about 32 mph.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I bought The Karkand. How do I download it? It gave me no instructions.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

In terms of an explanation I would be curious to see the number of USAS service stars compared to every other weapon combined, or is that info already public?

You can see the top kill ##'s by weapon on the BF3stats.com leaderboards. USAS-12 top kills are ~32000, 2nd 24000 3rd 22000.

The M320 on the other hand has a leader with ~76000 kills.

M16A3 is probably the most used 'gun' with a top of ~55000.

The again I can only easily see the top 3 for each weapon so the numbers might be very skewed...

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Even blowtorching enemy MAV's, TUG's or beacons or whatever is now impossible.

Just because I want the assignment those things are no longer anywhere to be found!

I'm betting it would be pretty easy on Gulf of Oman conquest. Be on the US team, grab a chopper, and head over to the Construction site. Shouldn't be too hard to find a recon being a jerk up there; just hop out, kill him, and blowtorch his equipment. Heck, half the time I go over there, there's at least one radio beacon out between some of those big metal crates around the side.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I bought The Karkand. How do I download it? It gave me no instructions.

It should already be part of your install so you should be able to just join B2K servers. If thats not the case, right click on BF3 in Origin and check for updates.

• Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Any one going to be playing a few mins...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fuck you Shiashi, I saw the thread title and got excited.

• Options
    Warcry wrote: »
    Fuck you Shiashi, I saw the thread title and got excited.

endless-deal-with-it.gif

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    The vehicle on the Armored Kill cover doesn't look like a Abrams.

Looks like some sort of wheeled vehicle with a turret cannon. Not a Stryker MGS.

Almost looks like this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AMX-10-RC.JPG
    but not quite.
    Kinda looks like a Merkava to me. Ok, actually, the quality is bad enough that it kinda looks like nearly everything.