As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i feel like you actually cannot pass up twain here

also tempted to recommend chesterton but he's maybe a bit catholic for your tastes

Crimson King on
  • Options
    i've been reading all of G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories lately. they're the most brilliantly constructed detective stories but they always end with some message about the inherent superiority of the Catholic Church, it's maddening

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    of the churches, I feel like Catholic is my favorite

they got style

silly, ornate style

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I think ultimately it comes down to scholars deciding how interested they are in actual discourse, in which case they should find a way to involve as many people in the conversation as is possible and find a way to share their thoughts and ideas that's not gated behind a money wall

:whistle:

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Based on "Oh my god it's how long?"

nothing seems long once you've read Clarissa

now I look at War and Peace, Don Quixote, Moby Dick

and just shrug
    ha ha...

yeah.

• Options
    sedaris' 'me talk pretty one day' story about the french class that features the title is nonsexual and hilarious, if i recall correctly

sarah vowell stole my heart

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Been plowing through a bunch of Horus Heresy novels recently.

Man, Legion is a trip.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Hey I'd be very interested in a book club type deal to make me read stuff other than the schlocky sci-fi I default to without outside influence.

How do I get in on that action?

Quoting and reposting some info:

BOOK CLUB DRUNK LUSH TEAM GO

If you are interested in doing a book club here with our illustrious fellow SE++ readers, please send a PM to @Cilla Black or me, @Lost Salient with your interest and one book recommendation for consideration. The end date for giving a recommendation with your interest is March 15. If you want to join us for reading after that point you are of course welcome, but the first book will be chosen from what people send up to that date only. We're presently trying to work out the best way to vote on a book choice.

After the book is chosen we'll have a month to read it. I figure discussion can take place here in this thread and maybe in tinychat too if there are people who prefer to get drunk and talk books in real-time.

Also it should be mentioned that said Cilla Black has created a google doc (because of being an amazing wizard) to keep track of interested parties and their recommendations, and currently the following people mentioned the club but haven't actually sent us a PM yet:

@Zonugal
    @Janson
    @lostwords
    @Oghulk
    @Crimson King
    @RubberAC
    @smof
    @zen-

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Coulda sworn I sent Cilla Black a PM today, but I'll fix that now.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You may have done! That list hasn't been updated since yesterday.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I definitely sent in a PM last night, yes. i've just sent on another one though

they got style

silly, ornate style

also i agree with this, what other kind of Christian has their own holy city

• Options
    Yeah I sent one

although in retrospect my recommendation might've been a bit...too much

• Options
    It's In Search of Lost Time, isn't it

isn't it

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Pm sent! The toughie was narrowing down to one book rec. was leaning towards never let me go or the book thief, so we could all have a big cry together, but decided to go crime

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Guess again

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I will PM. Struggling with a recommendation.
    i've been reading all of G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories lately. they're the most brilliantly constructed detective stories but they always end with some message about the inherent superiority of the Catholic Church, it's maddening

Really? I have read all the Father Brown stories a dozen times and have never felt that. Although maybe it's because

they got style

silly, ornate style

I feel this way, too. Catholicism will forever feel to me like a religion ought to be.

• Options
    the detective is a priest

he is cleverer than everyone else and constantly scoring philosophical points off them

i mean they're still fantastic stories and if you're going to have a religion it might as well be like something out of a fantasy novel

• Options
    Well, any fictional detective is bound to be cleverer than anyone else! I suppose I don't particularly see his Catholicism as being anything other than just another trait for his character to have. As I recall (it's been a few years) I always thought Father Brown to be a remarkably non-judgemental character, and I found some of the stories particularly creepy and disturbing coming from a Catholic author (actually in retrospect that probably ought not to be a surprise...).

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

they got style

silly, ornate style

I feel this way, too. Catholicism will forever feel to me like a religion ought to be.

exactly.

It might just be because I was born into a catholic family, and raised sort of catholic, until my mom shrugged and gave up, but Catholicism will always be The Thing

• Options
    gk chesterton is a catholic writer with whose catholic writings i am okay

see: the man who was thursday

yeah, ends up pretty biblical

but it doesn't have to be, so what

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sedaris' 'me talk pretty one day' story about the french class that features the title is nonsexual and hilarious, if i recall correctly

sarah vowell stole my heart

I love Sedaris

and I love Vowell's voice though I have yet to read any of her books

heard great things, though

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh yeah sorry if I haven't updated the google doc because well

Mass Effect 3 and all

you can imagine me looking down being suitably ashamed, rushing to correct this grievous oversight right now.

• Options
    I used your second recommendation for the doc oghulk because

well

War and Peace is a pretty hefty thing to have as our first book.

• Options
    Also, if anyone has suggestions on how best to organize a vote, they'd be appreciated. There have so far been no suggestion repeats whatsoever, unsurprisingly, so if we put it up to a general vote people may just vote on their own book. Narrowing it down somehow to a final selection would be ideal, but I've got no ideas on the best way to do that.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I used your second recommendation for the doc oghulk because

well

War and Peace is a pretty hefty thing to have as our first book.

Yeah

yeah

I realized that a month is NOT enough time and I'll be reading Heart of Darkness for my ap lit class soon anyways, so if we did it it would be convenient

if not that's fine too

Oghulk on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I finally finished Metro 2033

it took me like a year.

That book has such a goddamned depressing ending.

Russia

Oh I wasn't surprised

But still, what a punch in the fucking gut

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    If you asked people to prioritize 3 books on the list you could make it so the one with the most points wins. It's a pretty simple idea and I don't see any overt flaws but it's almost midnight so my brain might not be going 100%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I broke my Nook D:
    looks like i'm back to the chump way of reading
    with paper
    like some kind of ancient people

• Options
    How did you break it? D:

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    I should participate in somethin
    this should be that somethin
    gotta do something to get myself back into reading.
    except I only brought a bunch of terry pratchett books with me...
    have to remember what I have on my bookshelf back home

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    recommend me a good book, book thread

• Options
    edited March 2012
    the entire disc world series

sorry beasteh, I'm tired and might as well be illiterate

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    i've read all of those!!!!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh
    well
    uhm
    holy shit yes, my favorite series from when I was a kid
    absolutely ridiculous but
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUh50ngVOD_8f9p8zrF_9SolBmbVHnL7dXKj28UE0xTMVUPPWM
    the Bulldog Drummond books are boss
    written by a dude who was a sapper in world war 1, the main character is a veteran who goes around rescuin people, fightin his nemesis and gettin assistance from his old army pals all the time
    DAMNIT now I want to read those...
    thems some classy books

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    seriously
    he puts an ad in the paper looking for adventure cause he's bored

• Options
    edited March 2012
    "Demobilized officer, finding peace incredibly tedious, would welcome diversion. Legitimate, if possible; but crime, if of a comparatively humorous description, no objection. Excitement essential. Would be prepared to consider permanent job if suitably impressed by applicant for his services. Reply at once Box X10"

I want to go home and read these again now

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Where do you begin with science-fiction? I've never really read any. Usually I've stuck to pulpy fantasy instead.

Like, is it as brazen as simply buying up some Arthur C Clarke? I mean, is that route one? I'd prefer a longer running series with some coherency.

• Options
    read dune

the first one

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Where do you begin with science-fiction? I've never really read any. Usually I've stuck to pulpy fantasy instead.

Like, is it as brazen as simply buying up some Arthur C Clarke? I mean, is that route one? I'd prefer a longer running series with some coherency.

The series that got me into science fiction books is the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God)

Hamilton is really good at the whole universe building deal, his books are probably a good place to start if you like that sort of thing.

broken image link
  • Options
    I make the same recommendation as I did to Jess - "the fourth profession" by Larry niven. Collection is "a hole in space," IIRC.

This discussion has been closed.