Options

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think we all know what might happen

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Yes.

Yes we do.
    They find themselves a year later in a strange new setting with the previous events never mentioned again.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tairu wrote: »
    Hear me out.... What if they just callled him Mr Marvel
    That's an even goofier name than Shazam!

Honestly

ditch the Marvel

Marvel is a name brand at this point, even with the average person. Having a DC dude named MARVEL is just gonna get confusing especially since Marvel itself also has a Captain Marvel.

That's just... ridiculous. Captain Marvel was the original, and was created in 1939. Letting Marvel have that name, when all they did was copy it, would be like giving a pryomaniac a book of matches for Christmas. Seriously, I don't want to reward someone for ripping something off, then suing to keep their name, and having a judge so hilariously ill-informed on "funny-books," that the judgment wouldn't allow the original to have his own name on a cover.

And just calling him Shazam is stupid.
    It doesn't matter what you think is ridiculous, Marvel owns the name Captain Marvel when it comes to titling or advertising anything.

So Captain Marvel cannot be in any book or movie or show called Captain Marvel and cannot be referred to as Captain Marvel in any advertisment for his products.

Changing the name is a no-brainer.

But he was the original. And the best.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    law is the law regardless of what you want.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    It's not really about what I want. Giving my opinion of something is not me not getting what I want. A judge who didn't understand comics made a dumb decision and a character with a rich heritage who outsold Superman at one point suffered for it. It just seems unfair that the real Captain Marvel is the one who suffers for it. Marvel comics changes costumes and names all the time, but this one time they have to stick it out?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    goddamn dc
    goddamn

burn this shit to the ground
    fire everybody but morrison, manhke and giffen and... snyder? I don't know, i'm too disgusted to know who else grovels and or wallows there

what dreck

In fairness to DC, I feel like they're making the right moves, and trying to gett their house in order.

We've got new concepts like Talon, who's getting his own book, as well as stuff like DC Comics Presents or Weird Worlds, which were used to showcase new characters and concepts.

We've got revamps of old characters and concepts, like Amethyst, Doll Man, Phantom Lady, Team 7, and all the National Comics revivals.

There seems to be a greater effort to make books woman-friendly, like putting Star Sapphire in a costume that's not 90% skin, giving Power Girl a sensible origin and costume, and hiring writers like Ann Nocenti and Christy Marx.

They're bringing in guys from indie comics too, like Matt Kindt, Justin Jordan, and Tom Taylor.

I mean, their relaunch was still incredibly ill-planned and executed, and they have a long way to go, when it comes to getting me interested in their universe. But, I feel like they're making some progress.

I'm actually planning to try a couple of books from this round of solicitations, so that's something.

there seem to be some good idea mixed in with the slop, i will give you that, but look at those covers
    i mean, i am sure the pontiac aztek is a mechanically fine vehicle, but it is still a pontiac aztek

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    do you have any idea what you are talking about?

like, at all?

fawcett went out of business. marvel copyrighted the captain marvel name since, for all intents and purposes, he didn't exist anymore and the trademark lapsed.then dc buys fawcett but whoops there already is a captain marvel that has actually been seen in the past twenty years, and he has his name trademarked.

so, no, your fictional evil judge didn't do anything because he didn't understand comics. that is not remotely true.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes we do.
    They find themselves a year later in a strange new setting with the previous events never mentioned again.

What no nothing is ever going to happen to Selina and Helena like that no :(

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    yeah Selina and Helena are going to be happy together, forever

right?

right?

• Options
    Yes!

Actually once I get past the fun penny-pinching stage and into the remodel a mansion for shits and giggles part I'm going to move Bruce in as well.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Foul daemon you shall not tempt me into sims again
    No! there is various combo packs
    I really should get an offline game

• Options
    do you have any idea what you are talking about?

like, at all?

fawcett went out of business. marvel copyrighted the captain marvel name since, for all intents and purposes, he didn't exist anymore and the trademark lapsed.then dc buys fawcett but whoops there already is a captain marvel that has actually been seen in the past twenty years, and he has his name trademarked.

so, no, your fictional evil judge didn't do anything because he didn't understand comics. that is not remotely true.

Actually, Yeah, I do know what I'm tlaking about, like at all. I just didn't go into the details of all of it because it didn't seem necessary and I don't subscribe to the theory that every forum post has to be a college thesis on the topic at hand. What you siad is correct. And DC had a lot to do with driving Fawcett out of business. They actually sued Fawcett from the 40's on saying that Captain Marvel infringed on Superman until Fawcett couldn't cope anymore and sold their superheroes to Charlton Comics, with DC buying them outright later.

I was merely opining about the unfairness that the original had a set of restrictions that Marvel didn't have. I should have put this in the bitchin thread.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    x
    The Ender wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    The thing that drove me bug-nuts about the new Tattooed Man, was that the old Tattooed Man, who died to make way for Johns', was already a semi-reformed villain. So all that redemption stuff would have worked so much better with him, rather than the psychopathic murderer.

Also, Rob Liefeld, how can you be so bad at drawing guns?

Those feet.

... and muscles, hair, gear, stance, and ...

Jaythreef wrote: »
    EDIT: Something about the Birds of Prey cover creeps me out, too, but I can't tell what it is. Maybe Black Canary's face? I actually really like that art, but something seems off.
    BOP_Cv0_PREVIEWS.jpg
    The face doesn't look like it aligns with the skull.

Also the head is too small for the body. You know, that's a funny thing. So many actors have been used as models but the shitty artists forget that most actors are small and have relatively larger heads.

Eh, I think the head/face are fine. It's the size 40FF boobs that make the body/head ratio look out of whack.

• Options
    Those aren't that bad. As far as superheroine boobs go, BoP is positively restrained.

Also Black Canary's costume is downright functional!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I have to agree that captain marvels face is super creepy, but who knows, maybe they are going for a completely out of wack personality for the hero just like little old billy.

And did I miss any exclusive reveals during FCBD? Or is it something that will show up in eventually...

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well

They revealed that Phantom Stranger, Pandora and The Question were part of the Trinity of Sin

That strange skull box is Pandora's Box (the same skull was seen as a badge in Justice League #6)

Black Adam was fighting the Justice League

Vibe, Element Woman, and the Atom are gonna show up eventually

That new Green Lantern guy was shown to have replaced Hal Jordan and is fighting Batman and the rest of the League. He doesn't sound like a bad guy, just misguided. And he didn't have a gun.

The Justice League roster has either expanded or turned into separate factions, who are all fighting amongst themselves over Pandora's box.

Tairu on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    I have to agree that captain marvels face is super creepy, but who knows, maybe they are going for a completely out of wack personality for the hero just like little old billy.

And did I miss any exclusive reveals during FCBD? Or is it something that will show up in eventually...

it's free on Comixology if you want to see it
    http://www.comixology.com/DC-Comics-The-New-52-FCBD-Special-Edition-1/digital-comic/JAN120006

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    oh and did anyone else notice Tom DeFalco is writing Superboy?

...not sure what to think there.

He has been, on and off.

Lobdell's workload got a little too heavy, so he had DeFalco write a couple issues for him over the past few months. I'm way behind on the so-called "Young Justice" line, but I remember the one DeFalco issue I did read was actually noticeably better than Lobdell's usual work. And that is sort of something in this instance, because on the whole I've really liked Red Hood and Superboy so far. So I'm hoping DeFalco will keep the book on the right path, at least.

And I'm hoping that in spite of his terrible boasting, Lobdell will do a Superman on the level of the better parts of Red Hood and Superboy.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Lobdell's workload got a little too heavy, so he had DeFalco write a couple issues for him over the past few months.
    Wasn't he writing six of the original fifty-two? That seems a bit much.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Brainstorm! When Helena gets old enough I'm going to set her up with Shemar Moore's detective from Birds of Prey. DC continuity can always get more complicated.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I'd have a hard time separating the character from the actor.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Has anyone done a "serious" Bizarro before?

• Options
    All-Star Superman and the Solomon Grundy mini preceding Blackest Night, I think. I'm not sure if those meet your criterion of ”serious.”

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    In the original Bizarro story he was intended to be more of a tragic figure than the comedy goofball he evolved into:

superboy68.jpg

Superboy068_08.jpg

The whole story is essentially a riff on Frankenstein movies; it ends with Bizarro sacrificing himself to restore the sight of the blind girl who befriended him. The first post-Crisis Bizarro story (by John Byrne in the Man of Steel mini) is basically a re-working of this story with the adult Superman.

EDIT: Not to imply that it's some sort of grim 'n gritty story, of course:

Superboy068_09.jpg

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Yeah, the Byrne story was pretty close to that, and not played for laughs at all. The "for-laughs" Bizarro was pretty much a Silver Age thing, when a lot of stuff was played for laughs. Hey, who can post the silliest looking superhero car from teh Silver Age? I'll start:

DoomPatrol092_18.jpg

I was going to post the Arrow Car from Green Arrow, but I can't GIS a picture of the arrow shaped cars, just the one that looks rather pedestrian. So, this will do instead.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    glithert wrote: »

Sure. Just before the Fall of Metropolis Storyline they did a serious Bizarro story that I thought was alright (when I was 15...). Oh and in Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries too.

EDIT: FunniER Bizzaro came back with the Emperor Joker Storyline if I'm not mistaken.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wonder in the age of gritty, dark comics would they redo Bizzaro in this light but then I also wonder about a lot of other characters in this light as well

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Sure. Just before the Fall of Metropolis Storyline they did a serious Bizarro story that I thought was alright (when I was 15...). Oh and in Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries too.

EDIT: FunniER Bizzaro came back with the Emperor Joker Storyline if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, from Crisis to Emperor Joker was the more serious Byrne version, then they brought back the "Bizarro No. 1" type in EJ.

Oh, and a special mention to Steve Gerbers weird story in the last issue of the original DC Comics Presents, which has a darkly comic scene in which the Bizarro World is destroyed, and Bizarro No. 1 and Bizarro Lois put their son in a rocket and fire it towards the centre of the world so he'll die first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    :shock:

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular

Yeah, from Crisis to Emperor Joker was the more serious Byrne version, then they brought back the "Bizarro No. 1" type in EJ.

Oh, and a special mention to Steve Gerbers weird story in the last issue of the original DC Comics Presents, which has a darkly comic scene in which the Bizarro World is destroyed, and Bizarro No. 1 and Bizarro Lois put their son in a rocket and fire it towards the centre of the world so he'll die first.

That made me crack up laughing.

I wouldn't mind seeing a more serious take on Bizarro, he's been a ineffective joke of a character for a long time now. I wouldn't mind seeing the tragic side of him or even the pure monster version of him.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Even after Emperor Joker there were serious things with Bizarro, he was captured by Zod and tortured and forced to fight so he would know how to deal with someone having Superman's powers, and he felt really heartbroken that Clark never came to help him (he didn't know). Really good stuff.

And I also can't stop laughing at the idea of shooting a kid into the center of the earth. I really need to pick up that issue.

edit: saw this at the LCS but bravo DC, on the cover to Frank #10 you still have Jeff Lemire as writer, even though he's been known to be off the book with #9 for months.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And I also can't stop laughing at the idea of shooting a kid into the center of the earth. I really need to pick up that issue.

Yeah, that last DC Presents issue is something you really have to read for yourself.

4651.jpg

It was published after Crisis, but takes place in pre-Crisis continuity; it's technically the last proper appearance of the original Earth-1. (DC Comics Presents was the first and only book to have stories explicitly labelled as 'post-Crisis' and 'pre-Crisis' on it's covers.) It's Gerber (with Rick Veitch drawing) taking the opportunity to wreak havoc on the place, smashing up the Phantom Zone and Argo City, killing off the Phantom Zone criminals, etc.

Thought of another tragic-comic take on Bizarro: a short story in one of DCs late '90s eighty-page giants by Tom Peyer and Kevin O'Neill that presents the Bizarro World concept as a fantasy life invented by the lonely Bizarro.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    The Bizzaro origin episode of Superman: The Animated Series was pretty serious. Or, at least, it messed me up in the head.

• Options
    All-Star Superman and the Solomon Grundy mini preceding Blackest Night, I think. I'm not sure if those meet your criterion of ”serious.”

I always think of the animated series when I think of Bizarro. That's serious enough for me. That quote worries me.

I'm disappointed that Superman is changing writers again. It was getting better!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Is Justice League worth picking up for Supes stories? I dropped all Superman titles except Action Comics after their first arcs ended so I dunno if they got better these past few months.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Just from reading this board and other sources, it seems DC is doing a second round of issue # 0's. Did Aquaman have one last year?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Just from reading this board and other sources, it seems DC is doing a second round of issue # 0's. Did Aquaman have one last year?

This is technically the first round of # 0's as the old Zero Hour universe never existed.

I don't think there was an Aquaman # 0 last year either.

Edit: Maybe you mean Brightest Day # 0 but again that universe is gone.

Maximum on
  • Options
    I'm probably wrong, but I got the impression there were some zero issues last year to start the whole New 52 thing off, and this was a second round of them. but that's fine. Just one less thing for me to try to get.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    There was a zero issue of Batwoman, but I don't remember if there were any more.

This discussion has been closed.