As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if they spoiled this in the Teen Titans title yet but this is an interesting item about Kid Flash from the Young Justice panel.
    Lobdell also spoke to "Superboy," the title he's passed along to friend Tom DeFalco. In the #0 issue, the ethical issues of being a clone. Josaline Moore – a NYPD police officer with superpowered law enforcement equipment – appears in #13. The character will present the first of many more physical threats to the Boy of Steel, and she will have a connection to Bat Allen AKA Kid Flash. Moore is the case worker for Allen as he was brought into the past from the 31st Century as part of a witness protection program. "There's going to be a lot of mystery surrounding this character, but at the same time, she'll give us a lot of information on Bart and his origin," Lobdell said, calling her a lynchpin character.

I saw a page from Legion Lost that already brought up the possibility. Kinda a weird choice to make with such a program.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    i will never understand the logic behind dc's insistence on never using stephanie brown ever again

people like the character, guys! put her in a comic and people will buy it! this isn't complicated!

the only explanation i can come up with is that people like johns and didio don't like her and don't understand why anybody would. dc editorial seems to have the weirdest, most boring taste in characters? really crap people like hal jordan and barry allen are constantly getting promoted and cool characters like stephanie brown and renee montoya get left in the dust

They seem to have pushed the chronology back in a bunch of places (note the Waller cameo), so there may be a house rule that certain characters can't be introduced to the universe for a few years or that there are unreleased birth dates for a bunch of characters (i.e. DC editorial decided that Stephenie was born in 2003 in the new DCU).

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really, really doubt that is the case

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Just finished reading Earth 2. I don't like:
    Solomon Grundy. He's not a goth zombie. He's freakin' Solomon Grundy. I don't like this version.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Solomon Grundy. He's not a goth zombie. He's freakin' Solomon Grundy. I don't like this version.

Well, theoretically he shouldn’t be like the original Solomon Grundy because he’s from Earth-2, otherwise what’s the point?

I’m not sure I like him yet either but I can understand the reasoning for such a dramatic change.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Maximum wrote: »

Well, theoretically he shouldn’t be like the original Solomon Grundy because he’s from Earth-2, otherwise what’s the point?

I’m not sure I like him yet either but I can understand the reasoning for such a dramatic change.
    So long as they don't get rid of Earth 1's Solomon Grundy, whatever. This version serves his purpose as Avatar of the Grey. And even then, we don't really know much about him at all, do we?

Tairu on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »

So long as they don't get rid of Earth 1's Solomon Grundy, whatever. This version serves his purpose as Avatar of the Grey. And even then, we don't really know much about him at all, do we?

whoa whoa hold on
    They reintroduced the Grey, the fungus stuff, via Earth 2?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

whoa whoa hold on
    They reintroduced the Grey, the fungus stuff, via Earth 2?
    Yes, as the opposition to the Green, which is empowering Earth 2 Green Lantern (Alan Scott).

• Options
    edited July 2012
    huh. hrm.

wait.
    is Scott still weak to wood because if so Wut.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    huh. hrm.

wait.
    is Scott still weak to wood because if so Wut.
    Not that it has shown, but we haven't really seen Scott do anything as Green Lantern yet besides search and rescue.
    And kiss dudes.
    And he wasn't Green Lantern yet when he did that.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Is there something I don't get about Action Comics? Everyone seems to like it, but I've found it really disappointing so far. I really liked the first few issues. But I really didn't care for the last two issues of the opening arc. Issue 9 was nice, but Issue 10 was kinda mediocre I thought. It didn't help that I had no idea what point in time at which it was occurring.

• Options

Wait a minute...
    Solomon Grundy was originally an Earth-2 character because he debuted in the 30's or 40's. He was moved to "Earth-only one remaining" along with everyone else after Crisis on Infinite Earths. So he should be on Earth-2. Have they already shown another Solomon grundy on teh new Earth 1?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

Wait a minute...
    Solomon Grundy was originally an Earth-2 character because he debuted in the 30's or 40's. He was moved to "Earth-only one remaining" along with everyone else after Crisis on Infinite Earths. So he should be on Earth-2. Have they already shown another Solomon grundy on teh new Earth 1?
    No other Solomon Grundy has been revealed for the DCnU, I believe. The E-2 guy is the only one.

That said, I think this version of Grundy is fine. I've never really been taken with the "pseudo-hulk" Grundy. The only really compelling versions I can remember are the intelligent ones from, perhaps-not-so-ironically, Robinson's Starman run. I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

• Options
    Future Grundy in Superman Beyond was pretty cool, would like to see him again.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    While the stories seem to be shaping up OK, I can't help but be annoyed by Earth-2. It's just supposed to be an alternate past and present, but the basic 'physics' of how things work seem completely different (seeming lack of Grey on Earth-1 and the Green not being all tree-y on Earth-2), which makes no sense. Blahblah comics, wizard, yeah, but it still annoys me.

• Options
    I've been rereading the TPB of the first 7 issues of LSH, and I've noticed something. It seems that comics have taken on a kind of disjointed storytelling style. Almost as if entire scenes are missing, and they expect you to fill in the gaps yourself. I noticed this in Legion going back a ways, but other books are doing the same thing. Has this become the norm after Image, with art being more important than plot or storytelling? Or am I grasping at straws here?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    While the stories seem to be shaping up OK, I can't help but be annoyed by Earth-2. It's just supposed to be an alternate past and present, but the basic 'physics' of how things work seem completely different (seeming lack of Grey on Earth-1 and the Green not being all tree-y on Earth-2), which makes no sense. Blahblah comics, wizard, yeah, but it still annoys me.

Well thats the big difference between multiverses at DC comics as opposed to Marvel, DC universes are more elseworlds than what-ifs so the changes from world to world are a lot bigger

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I'm glad that they're doing more to differentiate Earth-2 rather than just making it a world where the JSA can operate without feeling redundant next to their modern counterparts.

• Options
    yL3dm.jpg

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

also Jaime's archnemesis is Blood Beetle?

what

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yeah, I flipped through the current issue of Blue Beetle, as it seems to be the first meeting between New Booster Gold and New Blue Beetle, and wow, what a pile of shit.

I don't think I really need to qualify that statement, but it just seem like a sad, crummy imitation of everything Giffen, Rogers, Sturges, and their various collaborators did, on the previous book. I wasn't even a huge fan of Jaime's series, but I think it definitely had a lot of charm, which is totally absent from this iteration.

• Options
    I mean

I am fine with things being different in the New 52, like Jaime and Michael not being friends

but that panel up there is straight up HAHA FUCK YOU GUYS

really the only thing I can say positively about the book is that Ig Guara is a good artist

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I really liked Guara's work on the Marvel Adventures line, but whoever's coloring/inking him now, really makes his stuff look like every other generic DC book.

• Options
    It's really amazing how they managed to make every single title in the Young Justice line so awful

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    I really liked Guara's work on the Marvel Adventures line, but whoever's coloring/inking him now, really makes his stuff look like every other generic DC book.
    The action scenes are eh but I really like his facial expressions and character designs

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i don't even like blue beetle and booster gold but that seems like a real dick move

also all blue beetle's antagonists should be beetle-themed

Firefly, Bombardier, the Scarab, the Weevil, etc etc

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So taking what was mentioned in the MOTW thread, I'm disappointed that less than a year into the DCnU and we already have them pulling out the "dead but maybe not really" card. It's one of the most derided parts of comics, and you just started a new universe, do you really have to go back to that well so soon?

• Options
    i don't even like blue beetle and booster gold but that seems like a real dick move

i would be fine with that

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I've been rereading the TPB of the first 7 issues of LSH, and I've noticed something. It seems that comics have taken on a kind of disjointed storytelling style. Almost as if entire scenes are missing, and they expect you to fill in the gaps yourself. I noticed this in Legion going back a ways, but other books are doing the same thing. Has this become the norm after Image, with art being more important than plot or storytelling? Or am I grasping at straws here?

It's only the norm for bad comics, far as I can tell.

Lot of stuff still goes from point to point normally. (Including, ironically, some modern Image. They're actually publishing a LOT of great stuff these days.)

Of course, one factor is that DC recently went from 22 pages to 20, which can make things a little awkward. Decades of 22 page formatting don't die easy. Cutting transitions is a shortcut to deal with it, maybe.

• Options

i would be fine with that

I kind of hate that heroes wind up fighting so many "dark mirrors" of themselves, lately. Green Lantern fights Yellow Lanterns and Black Lanterns, Firestorm fights other Firestorms, the Teen Titans fight Evil Titans, etc. Not to mention all the Anti-Batmen that are out there.

I actually think some of Ted's rogues could have been re-purposed, to provide a decent challenge for Jaime. Particularly Carapax, the guy who's become permanently trapped inside a piece of alien technology. I think that'd be a good parallel to explore.

Of course, since neither Dan Garrett nor Ted Kord actually seem to exist anymore, Carapax probably doesn't either.

I will say, all complaints about the new Blue Beetle series aside, Silverback's a pretty awesome name/gimmick for a villain.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    well, i didn't mean dark mirrors so much as guys with a similar theme. you know, spidey has animal baddies, flash has science rogues etc.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

what

hahahahahaha

they cannot be serious

that has to be a joke

nobody thinks Blood Beetle is something that can be taken the least bit seriously

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

what

hahahahahaha

they cannot be serious

that has to be a joke

nobody thinks Blood Beetle is something that can be taken the least bit seriously

Current DC is trying to be MORE 90s than the 90s themselves.

I figure they're taking it seriously.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've been told that Vic Sage is, or will be an evil amnesiac with no facial features who is also a cosmic level supervillain. I have also heard that he is a The Spectre rip-off.

Please dear god tell me that these are lies.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    We really don't know anything other than he was once evil and was turned into the amnesiac Question by the Council of Eternity

which is dumb enough on it's own

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I've been told that Vic Sage is, or will be an evil amnesiac with no facial features who is also a cosmic level supervillain. I have also heard that he is a The Spectre rip-off.

Please dear god tell me that these are lies.

tumblr_m3kijerF3X1qbujox.jpg

• Options
    FUCK YOU DC

FUCK

YOU

• Options
    edited July 2012
    What fuck.

I have no reaction to that except to laugh. It's just so fucking :why:.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Because Bob Harras is a criminal, that's why.

• Options
    Man, worm has turned.

I was looking at blogs from back in '06. DC had, well, it wasn't all time best, but a lot of solid stuff.

Meanwhile, Marvel fans were watching everything go to turdsville. Only hope was in the stars.

Cut to the present, and DC has this. Meanwhile, for Marvel?

Hickman is killing on FF.
    Waid is rocking Daredevil.
    I hear good about Rucka on Punisher.
    Slott is rolling on with a 100+ issue run of some of the best Spidey in ages.
    Thor, Cap, and Iron Man are solid, with writers who've generally proven their chops for years.
    Heck, even the X-Men have quality stuff.

Even ignoring the movies, Marvel's winning by every metric you care to name ('cept TV shows). That's just sad.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Reading carefully, it seems that Bob Harras is the asshole proved that it is indeed possible to take Dazzler and drive her further into the ground.

He managed to fuck up Dazzler.

Dazzler.

Edith Upwards on
This discussion has been closed.