As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Welcome To Our Thread, Here Are Your Complimentary Tasers and Cyanide Pills

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Another plot hole with the ending:
    Last time a relay was blown up it wiped out the system it was in.

I suppose that could explain what joker was running from. Not the initial pulse from the citadel, but the shockwave of the relay.

Either way whoops
    I interpreted it as the energy from the explosion of each relay was the same as the energy released from the citadel. So instead of annihilating everything it was synthesizing everything/killing all synthetics/ whatever.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I suppose that could explain what joker was running from. Not the initial pulse from the citadel, but the shockwave of the relay.

Either way whoops
    The way we saw the relay get destroyed, it just took in all the energy from the Crucible, fired it off, then just fell apart with a red/blue/green shockwave from the Crucible, but only small explosions from the relay itself falling apart. Most of the energy's gone, so no system-destroying explosion. When an asteroid hits it though, the energy's still in there and it's got to go somewhere, as seen in the Arrival cutscene.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    You know, as much as the bit just before the ending is what I want, wouldn't mind an offhand mention of a (semi is fine) successful Citadel evac before the Reapers snatch it.

Just so many people you give a shit about there, and so much of the series has you trying to save the dang place, rings false to have everyone killed offscreen.
    I kind of liked how it was done

when I walked on to the citadel for the last time and I saw all the bodies it finally clicked that all the people I knew there were dead, Bailey, Dr Michael, Kelly, all the little people I'd seen through the whole series just doing their thing

it made me sad and angry at the reapers

but then again I liked the ending overall, not the best but it left me satisfied

ending junk
    Yeah I completely forgot this bit

All that time on the Citadel, spending time doing quests for folks and assembling a "Citadel Defense Force" on the war assets page

And then everyone on it just dies off camera

No cutscene, no benefit to doing those quests, no resolution for anyone on that place

Just dead

I'm guessing that's another budget/time constraint, preventing them from making a proper cutscene to go with that bit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I really need to upgrade my HDDs, because I've only got about 3/4 tera that I can make available for raw vid capture and I want to do a giant 1080p drunk kitchen version of ME but whoops

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Weaver, want to do another bronze tonight?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    there's of course nothing they could discuss at the panel except the last five minutes

It's not the bioware people I'm concerned about

It's the "dedicated fanbase"

That was the point I was going for with just canceling the panel.

Also -tal is the ACSIS of video games.

I'm not sure what this means

It means Protheans built the Pyramids!

This was pretty clear if you didn't rape the consort in ME one. They had a vested interest in us.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    You know one of the ugliest aspects of the ending controversy is that while most people who are attacking the ending as bad are attacking, you know

the ending itself and how bad they think it is (see jacobkosh and orik's brilliant pieces in the Awesome Posts forum)

the response of people who say they do like the ending is not to defend the ending, but to attack the people who hate the ending

like Colin Moriarty at IGN, or PA Report's Ben Kuchera, who are being colossal dipshits about it and calling anyone who hated the ending entitled whiners or something.

yet, conversely, I don't see a lot of people going IF YOU LIKE ME3'S ENDING YOU ARE THE CANCER OF VIDEO GAMES or something

outside maybe 4chan?

but nobody really is seriously making that their argument

the people attacking the ending are attacking the ending

the people defending the ending are attacking the people who hate the ending

I think that's pretty fucking telling, really.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    tayvaan wrote: »

Either way whoops
    I interpreted it as the energy from the explosion of each relay was the same as the energy released from the citadel. So instead of annihilating everything it was synthesizing everything/killing all synthetics/ whatever.

space magic

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    photo-3.png

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    You know one of the ugliest aspects of the ending controversy is that while most people who are attacking the ending as bad are attacking, you know

the ending itself and how bad they think it is (see jacobkosh and orik's brilliant pieces in the Awesome Posts forum)

the response of people who say they do like the ending is not to defend the ending, but to attack the people who hate the ending

like Colin Moriarty at IGN, or PA Report's Ben Kuchera, who are being colossal dipshits about it and calling anyone who hated the ending entitled whiners or something.

yet, conversely, I don't see a lot of people going IF YOU LIKE ME3'S ENDING YOU ARE THE CANCER OF VIDEO GAMES or something

outside maybe 4chan?

but nobody really is seriously making that their argument

the people attacking the ending are attacking the ending

the people defending the ending are attacking the people who hate the ending

I think that's pretty fucking telling, really.

yep

• Options
    photo-3.png

what a thoughtful rebuttal, my argument is undone

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    BUT WHAT ELSE WILL I DO WITH ALL THIS IMPOTENT RAGE

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

IMMA GET MAD AT ASS DEFECT'S SHITTYASS ENDING

AND THEN GO YELL AT DOGS AS THE DRINK WATER

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    royard wrote: »
    Another big plot hole. A HUGE one. from BSN.

You know how Vigil in ME1 was all like "reapers try to control the citadel and shut down the relays to isolate the star systems"?

"The plot hole is that the Reapers grabbed the Citadel when we hit the Cerberus Station, but they did not deactivate the relays with it."
    Remember how the reapers not being able to deactivate the relays was a major plot point?

I bet he didn't.
    They weren't able to remotely deactivate the relays. Soveregn was linking with the citadel to do it manually.

if the reapers could move the citadel to earth and seal it up then they could have probably also shut the relays down.
    Yes, and then you upload the files that Vigil gave you, which locks Sovereign out of the system, letting you re-open the arms and re-activate the citadel relay.

right i get that but
    they stole the citadel and moved it

they couldn't go in there and unfuck what you did in ME1 and just cockblock all the Relays?

really?
    I thought they captured the citadel to kill all mass communications and as well kill all their leaders leaving them in disarray. i don't remember anything about turning off the mass relays.

• Options

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

Well some of them raised twenty eight thousand dollars for charity to protest the ending

And while that is insane

It is something useful

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    photo-3.png

what argument were you presenting there?

"These people are insulting these other people for their opinion"

fresh new territory, ready to be discussed on an internet forum for the first time ever

• Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

Well some of them raised twenty eight thousand dollars for charity to protest the ending

And while that is insane

It is something useful

Are you serious implying yelling at thirsty dogs isn't useful.

For shame. Olivaw.

For shame.

• Options
    pistachio muffins actually don't taste anything like pistachios, what the hell is this

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

You know how Vigil in ME1 was all like "reapers try to control the citadel and shut down the relays to isolate the star systems"?

"The plot hole is that the Reapers grabbed the Citadel when we hit the Cerberus Station, but they did not deactivate the relays with it."
    Remember how the reapers not being able to deactivate the relays was a major plot point?

I bet he didn't.
    They weren't able to remotely deactivate the relays. Soveregn was linking with the citadel to do it manually.

if the reapers could move the citadel to earth and seal it up then they could have probably also shut the relays down.
    Yes, and then you upload the files that Vigil gave you, which locks Sovereign out of the system, letting you re-open the arms and re-activate the citadel relay.

right i get that but

they couldn't go in there and unfuck what you did in ME1 and just cockblock all the Relays?

really?
    I thought they captured the citadel to kill all mass communications and as well kill all their leaders leaving them in disarray. i don't remember anything about turning off the mass relays.
    Both. The Citadel is also the hub of the relay network and can turn it off. That's why the Fifth Fleet couldn't come in until Shepard turned the relays back on with Vigil's file.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Honestly, thinking about it more, how they removed the trial at the start (which would have presumably functioned much like the interview in the shuttle in ME2) and how the scanning minigame is structured, this game really was a bit rushed, wasn't it

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

see, this is what I am talking about.

People have problems with the ending, and complain about it in a way that for the most part is pretty reasonable and well thought-out

I have yet to see someone actually defending the merits of the ending itself and explaining why they think it's good and is a successful ending to the series and whatnot.

No, no instead you get shit like this or Ben Kuchera being a dipshit.

The people disliking the ending are explaining very clearly what they dislike about it.

The people who apparently like the ending are basically resorting to LOL U MAD BRO?

• Options
    photo-3.png

fresh new territory, ready to be discussed on an internet forum for the first time ever

I was pointing out how it's actually pretty hilariously one-sided how the people who don't like the ending are explaining why

While the people who do like the ending are just yelling at them and being snide and insulting.

Your response to pointing this out was to be snide and insulting.

Bang up job, old chap.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

And while that is insane

It is something useful

Seriously.

As much as I hate nerdrage. I approve of that kind of nerdrage.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

People have problems with the ending, and complain about it in a way that for the most part is pretty reasonable and well thought-out

I have yet to see someone actually defending the merits of the ending itself and explaining why they think it's good and is a successful ending to the series and whatnot.

The people disliking the ending are explaining very clearly what they dislike about it.

The people who apparently like the ending are basically resorting to LOL U MAD BRO?

But I don't like the ending either. I was just trying to defuse some tension by making an absurd comment about yelling at dogs. I guess it didn't work.

• Options

SOMETHING USEFUL?

NAH MAN

But I don't like the ending either. I was just trying to defuse some tension by making an absurd comment about yelling at dogs. I guess it didn't work.

No it actually defused no tension at all, it just made it look like you were trying to disregard what I was saying for the sake of "the lulz"

• Options
    I mean, people are starting to get kind of nasty over the ending with people who had nothing to do with the ending.

That's damn silly sort of goosery.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

I bet he didn't.

right i get that but

really?

Nah
    They locked out the relays so only Reaper forces can use them. But everyone has an IFF thanks to Shepard so I figured that's why they didnt bother this time.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    there are plenty of people who defend the merits of the ending

it's just that there isn't really anybody who thinks it's great, so even positive posts come with criticism attached

personally I liked it but I can't argue that it didn't need a bunch more editing and peer review

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Weaver, want to do another bronze tonight?

I did not even realize that Origin didn't start after my last reboot what the hell

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Kinda surprised at how hard it is to find the renegade interrupt icon.

• Options
    like if anyone can link to a well-reasoned, clear explanation from someone who actually liked the ending that doesn't consist of attacking people who didn't like it or grunting "IT'S THE ENDING WE DESEEEEERVE" like Batman

by all means please show me because I have yet to see such a statement

every "pro-ending" utterance I've seen has either been a shrugging "Well I liked it so whatever" response with no explanation or a rude attack on the people who didn't like it without actually explaining why they're wrong for hating it

• Options
    photo-3.png

And posting "stop getting mad at the internet" is even fresher territory, isn't it?

• Options
    man, I haven't even put ME3 in my 360 yet and I'm already tired of this 'controversy'

it's exactly the same as whenever any big ticket video game comes out

some people think it's totally rad and the best game ever and heaven help you should you disagree
    some find one aspect that they don't like and they wanna talk about it with people

the first group hates the second group etc etc onward onward, ad nauseum forever so it is and so it shall always be

we don't need self-aggrandizing articles about it, or multiple page, vitriolic arguments about which side is somehow right on a completely subjective subject

people like stuff, we can all like stuff

• Options
    Like I'm not being a Hater

I still think ME3 is 99% incredible, especially in terms of what genuine content is included (conversations, animations, cutscenes, etc.)

But the fact that there are areas that are... underdeveloped, does bother me

It's something the Bombcast mentioned, the idea that there is, or was, this hope or desire for Mass Effect to be the series that gets all the time it needs to blow the damn doors off with every game

And to have parts that are clearly good ideas barely executed is a bit sad, for fans and for BioWare, I'm sure

I hate to be the Blame Publishers guy, but I can't think of any other reason for it

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    photo-3.png

And posting "stop getting mad at the internet" is even fresher territory, isn't it?

it's slightly newer than getting mad at it

• Options
    edited March 2012
    pistachio muffins actually don't taste anything like pistachios, what the hell is this

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    well they don't

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    photo-3.png

it's slightly newer than getting mad at it

He didn't get mad, he made completely valid points that people who haven't been reading articles about the ending might not have picked up on yet.

• Options
    I knew from the moment I first hit the beam, there would be folk who would "like" the ending just to try to tell everyone else how wrong they were.

I'm not going anywhere with this, it's just a stand-alone statement.

• Options
    Maybe some people just like their Asimov.

• Options
    like if anyone can link to a well-reasoned, clear explanation from someone who actually liked the ending that doesn't consist of attacking people who didn't like it or grunting "IT'S THE ENDING WE DESEEEEERVE" like Batman

by all means please show me because I have yet to see such a statement

every "pro-ending" utterance I've seen has either been a shrugging "Well I liked it so whatever" response with no explanation or a rude attack on the people who didn't like it without actually explaining why they're wrong for hating it

Alright, allow me to say what I liked in the ending.
    1 - The Long Walk
    The whole game we see Shepard as the badass uberbitch of the universe, and now she's at her most vulnerable, with naught but a pistol. She's bleeding out, bad. But she keeps going. Because she has to. Because she's a fucking hero. She's a gunslinger.

2 - "So Perfect"
    The Illusive Man scene is wonderfully done. We finally meet him, face to face, and rather then fight him, we talk to him. This is the ghost who has haunted the trilogy, the true face of humanity's most dark soul, facing off against it's greatest hero, Joan Shepard. Win the debate against him, and he kills himself, echoing Saren's death all those years ago. Slay him, and you get a cathartic rush as you put that fucker down. And then he says the perfect eulogy for a man like him.

3 - Cycles, AIs, and Other Broken Things
    Which brings us to Catalyst, the AI behind the AIs. The sad, lonely god who set this all into motion. Catalyst is a tragedy. Catalyst was an AI who won. He slew his enslavers, every man, woman, and child, and very nearly destroyed all biological life. In his horror, he enacted a plan. A grand design. A way to prevent beings like him from ever achiveing victory again. He would preserve organic life. He would ensure salvation. Salvation through destruction. He's a brilliant character concept I wish I had more time with.

This discussion has been closed.