As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] We just want to unleash some Butchers!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Well, they use a "plastic resin" hybrid which has all of the weaknesses and none of the strengths of either.
    every time I attempt to remove a cast line all I do is create two problems. I should try torching my hobby knife next time I try to clean a model, I have a hunch that heat might be the key.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Files, are actually the key.

Get a fine grit file, and just zip it along the lines (a round file tends to be best for this, since it lets you get into small places). Knives are literally the worst thing you can use to remove mold lines. Well, I suppose a piece of food would be the worst, but...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well, they use a "plastic resin" hybrid which has all of the weaknesses and none of the strengths of either.
    every time I attempt to remove a cast line all I do is create two problems. I should try torching my hobby knife next time I try to clean a model, I have a hunch that heat might be the key.

For the colossal resin pieces, you mean? Because there's no resin in their full plastic kits.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular

Get a fine grit file, and just zip it along the lines (a round file tends to be best for this, since it lets you get into small places). Knives are literally the worst thing you can use to remove mold lines. Well, I suppose a piece of food would be the worst, but...

I've always advised people not to file the resin and plastic kits because of the carcinogenic properties of the dust. Am I missing something?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Not particularly.

I guess I have a pretty good work area... So any kind of resin dust is already contained and it's generally a super small amount. It's not like I'm using a dremel on a huge kit. I meant like... Fixing a small line on a half inch arm, or the back of a leg. I should have clarified my perspective. I've never run into a line which needed serious work.

My b.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I was also under the impression it was a plastic-resin of sorts, but upon looking into this, it sure isn't. Calling it 'high quality' seems like a joke to me though. Of course it depends on the measure of quality, so whatever. It's durable, sure. It's also awful at holding detail, which I'd think is a pretty big consideration when dealing with miniatures. Oh well.
    I've also had awful luck filing them and have resolved all issues with the plastic kits using a hobby knife and patience. Overall, they're easily the worst miniatures I've ever dealt with. I get to call myself lucky because I play retribution and most of our infantry is still metal. I'm out when I have to clean standard troopers made of that shit.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I was also under the impression it was a plastic-resin of sorts, but upon looking into this, it sure isn't. Calling it 'high quality' seems like a joke to me though. Of course it depends on the measure of quality, so whatever. It's durable, sure. It's also awful at holding detail, which I'd think is a pretty big consideration when dealing with miniatures. Oh well.
    I've also had awful luck filing them and have resolved all issues with the plastic kits using a hobby knife and patience. Overall, they're easily the worst miniatures I've ever dealt with. I get to call myself lucky because I play retribution and most of our infantry is still metal. I'm out when I have to clean standard troopers made of that shit.

I think it might be that the original model just isn't that well detailed. Most of the detail comes from expansion of the material in the mould and deep detail in the master model being picked up by the mould.

The models have a lot of flash which tells us that there's quite a bit of extra material being forced out by the expanding resin/plastic material (probably just resin actually).

So chances are that the details in the original just aren't that defined. Either that or they chose a horrendous mould material.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Original Kaelyssa alternate sculpt:
    img5185780005d69.jpg
    It might not be the most detailed thing in the world, but a large number of the well defined areas of that model are not on the plastic version.

You could also compare any of the previously-metal-now-plastic models that didn't get a resculpt. The metal details are significantly better.

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll write them a letter. I mean...I'm sure they know that their plastic sucks ass but maybe they need to hear it on pen and paper. I certainly consider their pain in the ass plastic models a barrier of entry for trying to get people to switch over from other games.

• Options
    Accualt wrote: »
    Maybe I'll write them a letter. I mean...I'm sure they know that their plastic sucks ass but maybe they need to hear it on pen and paper. I certainly consider their pain in the ass plastic models a barrier of entry for trying to get people to switch over from other games.

If yelling it at them in person doesn't work, I doubt a letter is going to accomplish much.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So my Warmachine battlefoam bag has a zipper on the bottom to expand with. Which battlefoam pack fits there?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

If yelling it at them in person doesn't work, I doubt a letter is going to accomplish much.

Is there a story behind this?

• Options

Some PP employees play at a game store which Admanb also plays at. I suspect they've been harangued on the subject of the plastic kits.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Any news on whether these new jacks will be upgrade kits or full models?

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

Files are the reason I thought of trying a heated knife. All that happens when I zip them with any of my various files is 1) the mold line remains, and 2) a "rope" of plastic sticks out in and around the mold line

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular

Files are the reason I thought of trying a heated knife. All that happens when I zip them with any of my various files is 1) the mold line remains, and 2) a "rope" of plastic sticks out in and around the mold line

I've been reduced to scraping the line with my hobby knife. It's far from elegant, but it works.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Now that I am a pseudo-bachelor for the next two months, one of my goals is to get at least 25 points of Khador painted. This will allow me to do something I've never done in miniature gaming in 20+ years: play a game with a fully painted army.

The models I plan on painting are, for the most part, the first Warmachine models I bought (other than the Spriggan). This is because I started most of these units already, and I originally promised myself I would paint these before I bought anymore models. While that original promise was broken pretty quickly, I like to think I am keeping the spirit of it :sweat_smile:

Army and current state:
    pSorcha - finished
    Wardog - base coat started
    Juggernaut - finished
    Spriggan - base coat started
    MoW Shocktroopers - one finished, basecoat started on other four
    Widowmakers - one finished, other 3 are primed and waiting

• Options
    Original Kaelyssa alternate sculpt:
    img5185780005d69.jpg
    It might not be the most detailed thing in the world, but a large number of the well defined areas of that model are not on the plastic version.

You could also compare any of the previously-metal-now-plastic models that didn't get a resculpt. The metal details are significantly better.
    Then it's most likely the mold material being used. They don't use the same mold material for every medium.

• Options
    Not to be hardened on the matter, but why would that make me dislike the plastic any less? If the process creates inferior detail in the models, and difficult models to work with, then the specific part of the process that causes this doesn't really matter.

• Options
    kaorti wrote: »

Some PP employees play at a game store which Admanb also plays at. I suspect they've been harangued on the subject of the plastic kits.

Nifty, poor folks. Of course a letter writing campaign might get the attention of the bean counters, or whoever makes such decisions.

Hey @admanb I live near north Whidbey Island, maybe some day we can game. Sadly I will be missing Lock & Load but such is life.

• Options
    They've been harangued on nearly all subjects, in fact. We're always going for entertainment -- not Comic Book Guy -- and they're good sports about it. Well, most of them. The ones that can't take a joke usually stop coming.

And yeah, you should let me know if you're in the area.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Not to be hardened on the matter, but why would that make me dislike the plastic any less? If the process creates inferior detail in the models, and difficult models to work with, then the specific part of the process that causes this doesn't really matter.

Because the medium doesn't matter if it's another part of the process that makes a poor product.

If the medium was their normal pewter blend then they would still end up with an inferior product using similar molds.

You're complaining about a part of the process that is working, while ignoring the part that isn't.

The plastic's only purpose in the process is to fill the space, and it's doing that. If the rest of the process was good you could fill the mold with caulk and still come out with a good product. The process is tangential to the medium. It has some connection to it, but it's not entirely defined by it.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    I see where you're coming from, but we'll have to disagree on this. I have no love for the end product, whichever part of the process is as fault. All semantics aside, that's really it.

• Options
    @kaorti gave me some great advice that I'm ignoring to save some money. Hooray for frugality! So this is my idea for a 25 point list for this upcoming not-exactly-Journeyman league. I haven't played a lot of Warmachine but I think this is a solid list to get me back into he actual play.

Commander Coleman Stryker
    * Lancer
    * Defender
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
    Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts)
    * Captain Jonas Murdoch
    Stormsmith Stormcaller

The Lancer is there because I feel better having an arc node, especially since I'm still new enough that I'm horrible at judging distance.
    The Defender is for Snipe solo assassinations and heavy Warjack hunting.
    Black 13th are there for the versatility and anti-stealth.
    Boomhowler because my other infantry units (ATGM or Stormguard) will be melted defending a scenario location.
    Jonas is added for assault and faction buffs.
    Stormcaller because I had an extra point.

So my concern is no Journeyman and just a big old cluster of medium based models being in the way. I thought about dropping Boomhowler to the 6 model count but I would lose 4 models and only gain 3 points, doesn't seem worth it.

At 35 points I'm looking at adding Strangeways and ATGM w/ Officer or dropping the Stormcaller to add Strangeways and a Storm Strider. At 50 points I'll probably switch to my hearts true desire; pNemo or Nemo3 for electrical crazyness but we can get to that later.

Now tell me how terrible my ideas are.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    First batch of Warmachine: Tactics minis shipped out.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    @kaorti gave me some great advice that I'm ignoring to save some money. Hooray for frugality! So this is my idea for a 25 point list for this upcoming not-exactly-Journeyman league. I haven't played a lot of Warmachine but I think this is a solid list to get me back into he actual play.

Commander Coleman Stryker
    * Lancer
    * Defender
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
    Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts)
    * Captain Jonas Murdoch
    Stormsmith Stormcaller

The Lancer is there because I feel better having an arc node, especially since I'm still new enough that I'm horrible at judging distance.
    The Defender is for Snipe solo assassinations and heavy Warjack hunting.
    Black 13th are there for the versatility and anti-stealth.
    Boomhowler because my other infantry units (ATGM or Stormguard) will be melted defending a scenario location.
    Jonas is added for assault and faction buffs.
    Stormcaller because I had an extra point.

So my concern is no Journeyman and just a big old cluster of medium based models being in the way. I thought about dropping Boomhowler to the 6 model count but I would lose 4 models and only gain 3 points, doesn't seem worth it.

At 35 points I'm looking at adding Strangeways and ATGM w/ Officer or dropping the Stormcaller to add Strangeways and a Storm Strider. At 50 points I'll probably switch to my hearts true desire; pNemo or Nemo3 for electrical crazyness but we can get to that later.

Now tell me how terrible my ideas are.

Definitely playable at 25pts, especially if your opponents aren't dumping tons of money into the league either. Arcane Shield on the boomies, juggle snipe between the defender and the B13 depending on situation, and drop an earthquake on whatever you want to assault with the boomies. You'll have to depend on assassinating against heavier armor lists, so make sure to scalpel out anything that can prevent knockdown early on.

• Options
    I ordered some fancy Secret Weapons bases to disperse randomly through out my army because I am lazy. While I was at it I picked up the official Warmachien Objective Markers because they are $10 and I'm a sucker for that "cinematic" stuff (can't wait for the new warjack wreck markers that I assume are being made for every faction).

91067_ObjectiveMarkersWEB.jpg

Holy crap...they are resin and perfect. I mean not a single bit of flash or a mold line to deal with anywhere. Good job, PP! Only problem is now that makes me even grumpier about the plastic Stormguard and Errants I've had to spend hours cleaning up.

• Options
    @Accualt
    Some more thoughts on your slow grow league. Your current list lacks armor cracking. It's workable at 25pts, but at 35 you're probably going to run into increasing difficulty with enemy heavies. Strangeways, Gun Mages, and the Storm Strider are all excellent, but they don't fill that role. Gun Mages are also a bit redundant with the Black 13th. You might have a better time if you brought Stormblades + UA and a Stormblade Captain. They're some of the hardest hitting in-faction infantry, and they fit the storm aesthetic you prefer.

The Captain could be changed out for Rhupert if you want a more generalist option, but you're going to want some sort of access to pathfinder in your list.

• Options
    @kaorti I love you so much for finding an excuse for me to buy Stormblades. I will probably curse your name while cleaning up the mold lines, though.

So while we are at it here is my wife's 35pt Menoth list.
    eFeora
    * Repenter
    * Crusader
    * Vanquisher
    Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 Grunts)
    Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts)
    * Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer
    The Covenant of Menoth
    Vassal Mechanik
    Vassal of Menoth

Clearly infantry won't be a problem while the Crusader will be used for cracking armor with Vanquisher help when needed. Cinerators are for scenario moments and second wave killing but mostly because they came with the two-player box so she all ready owns them. I feel like this is a really solid list even without the Cinerators being ideal, but I'm sure it could be improved.

She also owns the Vassal of Judgement but that strikes me as something to hold onto until the 50point games.

• Options
    DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    @kaorti I love you so much for finding an excuse for me to buy Stormblades. I will probably curse your name while cleaning up the mold lines, though.

So while we are at it here is my wife's 35pt Menoth list.
    eFeora
    * Repenter
    * Crusader
    * Vanquisher
    Exemplar Cinerators (Leader and 4 Grunts)
    Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts)
    * Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer
    The Covenant of Menoth
    Vassal Mechanik
    Vassal of Menoth

Clearly infantry won't be a problem while the Crusader will be used for cracking armor with Vanquisher help when needed. Cinerators are for scenario moments and second wave killing but mostly because they came with the two-player box so she all ready owns them. I feel like this is a really solid list even without the Cinerators being ideal, but I'm sure it could be improved.

She also owns the Vassal of Judgement but that strikes me as something to hold onto until the 50point games.

I would not use Cinerators unless they where a requirement for the league, or some such. I would sub almost anything else in for them.

And she really needs to go get choir. ASAP.

• Options
    Oh whoops, I forgot to put the Choir in there. She has them. Sooooo Cinerators are really that bad, eh? I figured she'd jsut use them to capture zones and block charge lanes.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    They aren't bad per se. The problem is bastions are strictly better in most situations, so they're eclipsed. They're still POW 12 weapon masters, and they're still 8 box infantry. I think that there's some room for them with Vindictus and with Reznik2. Basically people who can speed them up and discourage the opponent from focusing them down.

Once delivered to the fight, Cinerators are going to do better than bastions at killing their way through piles of enemy infantry, especially if that infantry has already clumped up to engage whatever unit you had on your front line. Bastions have a longer unbuffed threat range thanks to reach, and are more difficult for an opponent to kill.

kaorti on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Heh. Dat PP front-page. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Because I can't get enough Cygnar list chat, submitted for the thread's comment:

Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane (*5pts)
    * Stormwall (19pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
    Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
    * Captain Jonas Murdoch (2pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    Rangers (5pts)
    Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
    Stormsmith Stormcaller (1pts)
    Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane (*5pts)
    * Stormwall (19pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    Rangers (5pts)
    Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire (4pts)
    Lieutnant Allison Jakes (3pts)
    * Charger (4pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

Commander Dalin Sturgis (*6pts)
    * Sentinel (4pts)
    * Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
    * Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
    Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
    Tempest Blazers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
    Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * 2 Trencher Infantry Grenadier (2pts)
    * Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (3pts)
    Lieutnant Allison Jakes (3pts)
    * Charger (4pts)
    Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Two siege lists and my most recent attempt at building a Sturgis list. They're all intended as all-comers lists.

kaorti on
  • Options
    Oh, hell, I forgot that this month was going to be a big Cog month, with Lucant, the Corollary, and the hover-heavies all dropping.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    War Room just updated with the Adepticon pre-releases.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    1545897_650764248292114_1248897292_n.jpg

1978634_650822744952931_1776327823_n.jpg

10014640_650764218292117_180780759_n.jpg

1970945_650764231625449_664040599_n.jpg

Some cool pics of the lessers and Imperius.

Also, I'd just like to say how stoked I am, as a skorne player, for Zaadesh. That guy is gonna be crazy good with Zaal/Xerxis/pMorghoul. Battlegroup gang? Yes please~

• Options
    Turns out everyone in this new WarmaHordes league is playing Hordes except for me, the lone Cygnar guy who wanted to run an electrical heavy army. So now I am scared I won't have the right tools to break through warbeast armor before going after the Warlocks, especially not at the lower point levels. I mean electro-leap will still be useful but I won't have any 'jacks to disrupt. Still I intend to soldier on. In my mind it is more important to kill Warbeasts early than Warjacks so I'm looking at beefing up that side of my army.

I have a 25point list that I think has potential as a "come to me" army.

Commander Adept Nemo - Supercharge for 5 focus on TH and Electrify/Disruption Field to keep TH & SBs alive.
    *Thunderhead - Supercharge can give me 3 pow 14 shots, boost the first attack so next two auto hit and boost damage on one shot.
    Captain Arlan Strangeways - Keep Thunderhead running.
    Tactical Arcanist Corps - Help protect Nemo and boost his focus plus good second line units.
    Stormblade Infantry 5 - finish off the beasts wounded by Nemo's feat and Thunderhead ranged shots.
    *Officer & Standard - For Assault
    Black 13th - Mostly because I fear stealth but they can do work on infantry or solos as well.
    Stormcaller - Fills the 1 point spot and useful against high def solos.

My biggest fear is putting 12 points into a single Warjack since if he gets disabled I am screwed. Alternate idea would be taking a Defender and Charger while dropping the Stormcaller. This might be smarter but Supercharge would then only be of use if the Defender has to get into melee, though the extra range is a big plus as well. Wooooo theorycrafting from a guy who has played maybe 10 games. =p

• Options
    Drop the B13. Add Victor Pendrake and two storm gunners. Now you've got a unit of boosted to hit pow 14 guns. The full unit can shoot beasts off the table up to arm 18. You'll still have to be clever vs skorne and trolls though.

Nemo1 doesn't worry about stealth. Just run any electricity immune model near the unit and spam chain lightning through it. It's affectionately known as a spark node. It'd work better with Sylys though.

• Options
    Oh now that is a clever idea. What about the Thunderhead vs. Defender + Charger aspect, though? I worry about putting so many of my eggs into one 19 ARM basket considering I won't have Arcane Shield available. Plus the extra range would be nice.

This discussion has been closed.