As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Mr. [chat] with Bob and David

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

I think he's going to get overconfident and end up coming off as condescending, opening himself up to a series of policy-related jabs that he can't really answer well because he's off in Superiorville (and because they were bad policy - Gunwalker springs to mind). There will be no unchecked "seas receding" and so forth in this campaign - Romney has the money to mangle the President for that crap, and the media space is different.

When your opposition is Darth freaking Vader it's easy to come across as smug. The Republican party has done much worse then he has, they won't win by bringing up his bad policies (which he does have, unfortunately their credibility is shit so it's a non-starter). The real matter is whether Obama's right, not how "smug" he is. Which is a joke anyway. He's definitely one of the most humble politicians America has had in recent times.

I remember that humble moment when he declared it was the moment when the oceans began to recede. Then there was the humble stage with the reproduction of the Parthenon on it...

That meeting where he humbly told recalcitrant Republicans "I won."

So humble.

He did win. Why should he feel not feel proud about it? It's also a very rare event. Where else has he been "over confident"?

edit: Democrats need to do this more often, actually. Rather then continuing to look like bad stereo-types that they're spineless weasels scared of their own shadows.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    "Look, I know a lot of the more extreme members of my party think Obama wants to take away their guns, but that just isn't so. In truth, he's given away thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels! I think law abiding Americans are safe. Unless you live on the border, of course... "
    He could personally be handing over crates of fully automatic weapons to Al Quaeda members and Colombian drug lords, and still be doing less damage to this country than the Republican party.

Literally. Republicans will always be further right than Obama meaning I will never have to worry about who I'm voting for.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spool, can you link to those moments? The Parthenon one was just some designers or the building, but the other ones.

Rise of the oceans slowing. Skip to 0:40 for the money shot, so to speak.

Parthenon was the design of the stage at Obama's acceptance speech.

"I won." http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17862.html

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I feel kinda toolish because all my roommates are hanging out in the living room.

But I am le tired!

So take a nap!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever taken a cognitive test? You know, numerical/verbal/abstract reasoning kind of thing.

I have to take one as part of a job application, and I was wondering what I should expect, and whether it'd be worth finding some practice tests to get my brain in gear.

Any free examples online? I doubt it will be anything to worry about.

There's a few I have found, so I'll probably just try and get a grip on them.

Also @Sarksus I will check out this LSAT thing.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

I don't know what you're talking about we have to stop all the whores from whoring around with their whore pills and their whore vaginas

For the children's safety of course. The children we refuse to adequately pay taxes for to educate or take care of if they end up in the foster system

It's what transvaginal Jesus would want.

Transvaginal Jesus has really been letting me down lately

That's...that's quite a thing.

This got me googling the phrase "Jesus Dildo."

No, I am not going to link photos.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    DRUDGE REPORT: OBAMA'S LITERALLY MURDEROUS POLICY

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

I think he's going to get overconfident and end up coming off as condescending, opening himself up to a series of policy-related jabs that he can't really answer well because he's off in Superiorville (and because they were bad policy - Gunwalker springs to mind). There will be no unchecked "seas receding" and so forth in this campaign - Romney has the money to mangle the President for that crap, and the media space is different.

When your opposition is Darth freaking Vader it's easy to come across as smug. The Republican party has done much worse then he has, they won't win by bringing up his bad policies (which he does have, unfortunately their credibility is shit so it's a non-starter). The real matter is whether Obama's right, not how "smug" he is. Which is a joke anyway. He's definitely one of the most humble politicians America has had in recent times.

I remember that humble moment when he declared it was the moment when the oceans began to recede. Then there was the humble stage with the reproduction of the Parthenon on it...

That meeting where he humbly told recalcitrant Republicans "I won."

So humble.

You really hate this guy, don't you?

I think winning the presidency of the United States gives one the option to be a little less humble than regular people, hell even winning a nomination is a big deal.

None of the moments your pointing out burned him, though. He's still a pretty humble guy compared to some Presidents we've had though.

Obama is a lot of things. Some of them are good.

Humble is not on the list.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

I don't know what you're talking about we have to stop all the whores from whoring around with their whore pills and their whore vaginas

For the children's safety of course. The children we refuse to adequately pay taxes for to educate or take care of if they end up in the foster system

I wonder if people use those as anything other than conversation pieces.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Spool, can you link to those moments? The Parthenon one was just some designers or the building, but the other ones.

So, he's not humble because he said "if we work together we can do awesome shit cause Fuck Yeah, America" and by rightly saying "I won" in response to who is in charge?

Right...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    If I wanted humble I'd vote for John Kerry

• Options

When Transvaginal Jesus is introduced it is transubstantiated into the body of Christ

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

It's not hyperbole. A border patrol officer was killed with one of the weapons. Mexican police have traced several other murders back to them.

It was a literally murderous policy.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    oh man, after elendil told me to power through upgrading Overload and go for chaining, and i picked up neural shock as well, i am in love with the engineer

much more enjoyable, and the only starting class who can use overload, so he's absolutely vital

i feel i might be late to the party here

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

It's not hyperbole. A border patrol officer was killed with one of the weapons. Mexican police have traced several other murders back to them.

"Murderous Policy" implies that murdering people was the point. It may not be inaccurate, but it is incredibly misleading.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    \

I wonder if people use those as anything other than conversation pieces.

you don't want to feel the power of god inside you?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BLADDER UPDATE: Strained.

But I dun wanna get out of beeeeed [/tantrum]

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    "Look, I know a lot of the more extreme members of my party think Obama wants to take away their guns, but that just isn't so. In truth, he's given away thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels! I think law abiding Americans are safe. Unless you live on the border, of course... "
    He could personally be handing over crates of fully automatic weapons to Al Quaeda members and Colombian drug lords, and still be doing less damage to this country than the Republican party.

Literally. Republicans will always be further right than Obama meaning I will never have to worry about who I'm voting for.

That's the attitude I dislike when I see it from the other side of the equation. If people don't bother to learn what is actually at stake when they vote then we continue to see the "Big 2" trade off ownership of the USA and we end up with a system that doesn't work.

• Options

So, he's not humble because he said "if we work together we can do awesome shit cause Fuck Yeah, America" and by rightly saying "I won" in response to who is in charge?

Right...

That's correct, yes. He's not a humble guy.
    You can still like him, it's OK. I'm not terribly humble, and you don't strike me as someone who fits that description either. We can still like ourselves, and each other! But we're not humble.

• Options
    edited April 2012

"Murderous Policy" implies that murdering people was the point. It may not be inaccurate, but it is incredibly misleading.

Giving guns to mexican criminal gangs something something drug war was the point. The only possible outcome was a bunch of murders, man. The people at the ATF should be prosecuted for this shit, and Holder should probably resign.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Right...

You can still like him, it's OK. I'm not terribly humble, and you don't strike me as someone who fits that description either. We can still like ourselves, and each other! But we're not humble.

You can like yourself and still be humble. This isn't an either/or choice.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular

Right...

For reference, who does strike you as humble?

• Options

That's the attitude I dislike when I see it from the other side of the equation. If people don't bother to learn what is actually at stake when they vote then we continue to see the "Big 2" trade off ownership of the USA and we end up with a system that doesn't work.

Hey when the republican party stops being insane and supporting insane things I'll be more pliable in the meantime they make Reagan look like Mao

• Options
    @_J_

I read your post, but keep in mind that if you edit a post to include the @, it will not send a notification.

I will spoiler my quick response for the sake of [chat.]
    You seem to be conceiving of a universe that contains causal and non-causal systems in a horizontal manner - as in, spatially distinct, or distinct as entities - when most such conceptions are instead portrayed as being vertical, where the microcosmic is non-causal but the macrocosmic is causal. This has similar problems but avoids the inherent wackiness of billiard ball A being causal and Newtonian while billiard ball B is non-causal and flickers in and out of existence and is sometimes a duck.

To explain what I mean by verticality in this instance, I propose a model: picture two bits of data, each of which has its state determined not by causes, but in a non-causal, arbitrary fashion, though they can be measured statistically. Bit A and bit B each have a 75% chance of having a value of 1, and a 25% chance of having a value of 0.

Let's say that events depend on the values of these bits, i.e. they are in a causal relationship with these bits. We can successfully make statistical predictions of those events based on our statistical knowledge of likelihoods and probabilities, measured by empirical means, and construct causal systems on top of them, but at their root they are non-causal; nothing makes the bit 0 or 1. It just is so.

I suppose you could argue that something causes those probabilities to exist, those 75%s and 25%s, but the interpretations of quantum uncertainty that suggest "it's not actually random, we just don't understand what's causing it yet" do not seem very popular. Such a cause for those probabilities may not exist. Since our understanding of what it means for a thing to "exist" breaks down to some extent at that level, it would not surprise me if our concept of what it means for a thing to "cause" or "be caused" also breaks down. It is also entirely possible that we would simply have to grasp a different kind of causality than "if X, then Y" as we know it macrocosmically. Certainly the microcosmic has its own indelible logic and obeys rules.

I suppose I am saying that you can suggest the arbitrary, uncaused nature of a determining element within a causal system, and it does not actually cause any greater problems than simply suggesting a completely causal system. You still end up saying "what's causing that determining element?", whether it's the uncaused level of reality, or the first cause that is the origin point of all cause. You also get into the metaphysical problems of the nature of "rules" which "govern" reality either way. So I don't think there is an inherent problem with saying the universe is partially cause-and-effect, and partially not - atleast, no more so than there is in saying it is entirely cause-and-effect.

Short reply: Causality can't "arise" out of a non-causal system. If you make a macro / micro distinction, the macro will be founded upon the micro. If micro isn't causal, then macro can't be causal.

If there is no causality at the micro level, then there is no causality at the macro level.

I can make that longer if you want.

(That's what he said.)

@Evil Multifarious

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Podly wrote: »
    I feel kinda toolish because all my roommates are hanging out in the living room.

But I am le tired!

Pod, I had 12 dancers from all over staying at my house from Friday to Monday. It was a blast, but now I can't do anything but stay in my room for the rest of the week. I need to recover.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    BLADDER UPDATE: Strained.

But I dun wanna get out of beeeeed [/tantrum]

lots of tissue boxes

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    heading to sleep

i leave you with this:
    Dry sex

Some women practice dry sex. This involves the woman having sexual intercourse after removing vaginal lubrication in some way.[7] The rationale for the practice is that a dry vagina is tighter than a lubricated vagina and supposedly increases sexual pleasure for the man.[8] However, besides making sex painful for the woman,[9] the practice is believed to increase the risk of transmitting sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) for both partners.[9] For instance, the risk of HIV transmission is increased by lacerations in the vaginal tissue resulting from the lack of lubrication.[10]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If conservatives want to talk availability of guns, I'd love to talk availability of guns.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I though dry sex was like dry humping

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    heading to sleep

i leave you with this:
    Dry sex

Some women practice dry sex. This involves the woman having sexual intercourse after removing vaginal lubrication in some way.[7] The rationale for the practice is that a dry vagina is tighter than a lubricated vagina and supposedly increases sexual pleasure for the man.[8] However, besides making sex painful for the woman,[9] the practice is believed to increase the risk of transmitting sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) for both partners.[9] For instance, the risk of HIV transmission is increased by lacerations in the vaginal tissue resulting from the lack of lubrication.[10]

Stuff some paper towels in there.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    heading to sleep

i leave you with this:
    Dry sex

It's like that dry blowjob video.

I'm gonna make it so dry for you.

• Options
    Bama wrote: »

Right...

For reference, who does strike you as humble?

In politics?

umm.

hang on.

... yeah, nobody springs to mind. Oddly, that's the exact reason most politicians aren't humble.

• Options
    I though dry sex was like dry humping

Nah that has a cloth barrier ain't no PnV

dry sex is like getting your skin flayed by a wrathful cactus (or so I imagine it to be)

• Options
    Condi Rice? She seems pretty down-to-earth.

Hillary Clinton has been pretty humble lately too.

• Options
    Ooh they should make denim condoms.

• Options

Giving guns to mexican criminal gangs something something drug war was the point. The only possible outcome was a bunch of murders, man. The people at the ATF should be prosecuted for this shit, and Holder should probably resign.

What policy of Obama's caused this to happen.

• Options

Wasn't the plan to give them guns that had tracking beacons on them to learn their HQ's locations? I agree the plan had serious flaws and should never had been green-lighted but you're going a little overboard with this. If laws were broken, sure it needs to be properly investigated and the guilty need to be punished. That said, what makes you think Holder had anything to do with this? He doesn't green-light or lead every large scale investigation with every law enforcement agency 24/7.

• Options
    Ooh they should make denim condoms.

Acid washed with pre-ripped holes to make them trendy

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So one of my friends posted a 5-minute Youtube video titled "Liberals vs. Conservatives".

I clicked it. It started:

"Someone asked me to make an honest video about the differences between liberals and conservatives, to show that neither side is evil, they just have different solutions to the same problems. Sorry, I can't help you there, because really both are the same."

I closed the tab.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.