Options

It's Mr. [chat] with Bob and David

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Dude, i understand, trust me. I mean..I'm a liberal mormon at BYU. Half the time I feel like I'm more pro-womans rights that some of the girls I talk to, so i get pissed off and annoyed too. And like I said at the beginning of this, i can see why people have a problem with the church, for example with blacks and the priesthood, or with Prop 8, which I don't even agree with.

The problems I do have are when people like Lawrence O'donnel make up complete bull shit that that isn't even close to historically accurate.

And what's interesting is how you and I draw our lines differently. If I was still involved, Prop 8 would have been the straw that broke the already weak camel's back. Especially because the church leadership was so eagerly behind it, touting the God's law banner.

It practically did with me, but, theres so many things going on that keep me in, and its not guilt by my family, trust me. My sister left the church but as my mom puts it, "she left the church, but at least she didn't vote for OBAMA."

I've talked to professors about it, and I've read articles by members of the Seventy who have said it's ok to not agree with Prop 8. It's still a touchy subject for me, but one that, honestly I think has to do more with culture than with the actual doctrine of the church.

But isn't that the rub? It's like all the free agency arguments that I used to hear about how "you have free agency to choose what you want, but you should choose what we say, because we're right."

The Prop 8 justification was so similar. "You are free to disagree with it, but the church's position is this, and if you disagree with the church, well, we won't outright say you're wrong..."

Money is speech now, so it was pretty much outright

<3

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    I'm happy if I ever break 100 bowling.

Although I always throw the ball so hard it always results in a very loud and satisfying "thud" when it hits the end.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

I don't know what you're talking about we have to stop all the whores from whoring around with their whore pills and their whore vaginas

For the children's safety of course. The children we refuse to adequately pay taxes for to educate or take care of if they end up in the foster system

It's what transvaginal Jesus would want.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    "Look, I know a lot of the more extreme members of my party think Obama wants to take away their guns, but that just isn't so. In truth, he's given away thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels! I think law abiding Americans are safe. Unless you live on the border, of course... "

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Also everything republicans would like to do to women the poor and the supreme court if romney is president. Yeah there are more than enough reasons not to vote republican for independents right now.

I don't know what you're talking about we have to stop all the whores from whoring around with their whore pills and their whore vaginas

For the children's safety of course. The children we refuse to adequately pay taxes for to educate or take care of if they end up in the foster system

Transvaginal Jesus has really been letting me down lately

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Dude, i understand, trust me. I mean..I'm a liberal mormon at BYU. Half the time I feel like I'm more pro-womans rights that some of the girls I talk to, so i get pissed off and annoyed too. And like I said at the beginning of this, i can see why people have a problem with the church, for example with blacks and the priesthood, or with Prop 8, which I don't even agree with.

The problems I do have are when people like Lawrence O'donnel make up complete bull shit that that isn't even close to historically accurate.

And what's interesting is how you and I draw our lines differently. If I was still involved, Prop 8 would have been the straw that broke the already weak camel's back. Especially because the church leadership was so eagerly behind it, touting the God's law banner.

It practically did with me, but, theres so many things going on that keep me in, and its not guilt by my family, trust me. My sister left the church but as my mom puts it, "she left the church, but at least she didn't vote for OBAMA."

I've talked to professors about it, and I've read articles by members of the Seventy who have said it's ok to not agree with Prop 8. It's still a touchy subject for me, but one that, honestly I think has to do more with culture than with the actual doctrine of the church.

But isn't that the rub? It's like all the free agency arguments that I used to hear about how "you have free agency to choose what you want, but you should choose what we say, because we're right."

The Prop 8 justification was so similar. "You are free to disagree with it, but the church's position is this, and if you disagree with the church, well, we won't outright say you're wrong..."

Again, theres just so much cultural attitude that effects people. When Ezra Taft Benson was president, the man said some pretty harsh stuff about liberalism, etc. Hugh B Brown who was also an Apostle at the time would contend with him all the time. People have their opinions, and sometimes those opinions seep into the opinions of the leaders. Doesn't mean that the doctrine, priesthood and covenants of the church however are not true, atleast IMO.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here ever taken a cognitive test? You know, numerical/verbal/abstract reasoning kind of thing.

I have to take one as part of a job application, and I was wondering what I should expect, and whether it'd be worth finding some practice tests to get my brain in gear.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wow the Shadowrun Kickstarter is kicking ass
    BACKERS

$296,988
    PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL

DAYS TO GO

Wonder how high this is going to go?

Wish I could spring for this
    PLEDGE $10,000 OR MORE
    2 BACKERS • Limited Reward (1 of 3 remaining)
    Previous rewards + Mike Mulvihill, who led Shadowrun game development at FASA Corp., will COME TO YOUR TOWN TO RUN A TABLETOP GAME OF SHADOWRUN FOR YOU AND FIVE OF YOUR FRIENDS. (He'll even buy some snacks.)

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Bowling is fun when I luck out and grab a couple strikes back to back.

Then I hate it when I find the gutter every other throw after. :P

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    this salsa has some kick for a medium salsa

nice!

This post is interesting for a Poldy post!

:(

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    "Look, I know a lot of the more extreme members of my party think Obama wants to take away their guns, but that just isn't so. In truth, he's given away thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels! I think law abiding Americans are safe. Unless you live on the border, of course... "

Why is that? Where do those GOPers get the idea that Obama is going to take their guns away?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

There's always transrectal Buddha

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

nice!

Next time you two meet Podly is going to put some medium salsa in your underpants

• Options
    edited April 2012

Why is that? Where do those GOPers get the idea that Obama is going to take their guns away?

Who knows - the Freepers are kooks. It's a nice setup is all I'm suggesting... lets him appear moderate, disavow the loons a bit, and still jab the President for what was, let's face it, a literally murderous policy. It's ripe for campaign-style attacks on Obama.

spool32 on
  • Options

There's always transrectal Buddha

:lol:

Transrectal Buddha has thankfully only identified one path to enlightenment

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I will never check dinosaur news threads at any forum ever again.

I feel like a moose just humped my brain.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

nice!

Next time you two meet Podly is going to put some medium salsa in your underpants

I don't know what this means

but I assume you want to watch.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

I think he's going to get overconfident and end up coming off as condescending, opening himself up to a series of policy-related jabs that he can't really answer well because he's off in Superiorville (and because they were bad policy - Gunwalker springs to mind). There will be no unchecked "seas receding" and so forth in this campaign - Romney has the money to mangle the President for that crap, and the media space is different.

When your opposition is Darth freaking Vader it's easy to come across as smug for not being an evil son of a bitch. The Republican party has done much worse then he has, they won't win by bringing up his bad policies (which he does have, unfortunately their credibility is shit so it's a non-starter). The real matter is whether Obama's right, not how "smug" he is. Which is a joke anyway. He's definitely one of the most humble politicians America has had in recent times.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Guys, I am really excited for how many of you I'm going to have sex with in Boston. Just the tip? Okay. Ouch, ouch you're on my hair.

• Options

Again, theres just so much cultural attitude that effects people. When Ezra Taft Benson was president, the man said some pretty harsh stuff about liberalism, etc. Hugh B Brown who was also an Apostle at the time would contend with him all the time. People have their opinions, and sometimes those opinions seep into the opinions of the leaders. Doesn't mean that the doctrine, priesthood and covenants of the church however are not true, atleast IMO.

To each their own. Occam's razor made the decision for me. But thanks for talking about it.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever taken a cognitive test? You know, numerical/verbal/abstract reasoning kind of thing.

I have to take one as part of a job application, and I was wondering what I should expect, and whether it'd be worth finding some practice tests to get my brain in gear.

Any free examples online? I doubt it will be anything to worry about.

• Options
    Their ideas do not need basis in reality.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

He's a Democrat. That's enough reason to bring it up for them.

• Options
    WAAAH!! I'm so bummed that people are enjoying PAX East and I'm not there.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Find an LSAT practice test or something, Simon. No guarantee its the same thing but it should make you think.

Sarksus on
  • Options

nice!

It has some kick. It kicks. It will kick you. And yes I want to watch.

• Options

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

I want to see Mittens pull one of this blatant lies out in front of him, watch Obama crack a smile, and then verbally and intellectually destroy him in the politest way possible.

I think Obama's going to overplay his hand and get burned. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Care to explain how? What does "overplay his hand" mean? All he has to do is point out the abject dishonesty of the things Romney is saying about Obama's record, Romney's own record, and recorded history.

I think he's going to get overconfident and end up coming off as condescending, opening himself up to a series of policy-related jabs that he can't really answer well because he's off in Superiorville (and because they were bad policy - Gunwalker springs to mind). There will be no unchecked "seas receding" and so forth in this campaign - Romney has the money to mangle the President for that crap, and the media space is different.

When your opposition is Darth freaking Vader it's easy to come across as smug. The Republican party has done much worse then he has, they won't win by bringing up his bad policies (which he does have, unfortunately their credibility is shit so it's a non-starter). The real matter is whether Obama's right, not how "smug" he is. Which is a joke anyway. He's definitely one of the most humble politicians America has had in recent times.

I remember that humble moment when he declared it was the moment when the oceans began to recede. Then there was the humble stage with the reproduction of the Parthenon on it...

That meeting where he humbly told recalcitrant Republicans "I won."

So humble.

• Options
    Spool, can you link to those moments? The Parthenon one was just some designers or the building, but the other ones.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    He could personally be handing over crates of fully automatic weapons to Al Quaeda members and Colombian drug lords, and still be doing less damage to this country than the Republican party.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    "Medium" Salsa in the North-East? Really? Is that like someone put too much pepper on your caprese salad?

Also, yes, I'm being a silly goose. :)

• Options
    As a feminist who just reversed his Mass Effect 3 game insert to show Femshep,

• Options
    As a feminist who just reversed his Mass Effect 3 game insert to show Femshep,

do me now

• Options

When your opposition is Darth freaking Vader it's easy to come across as smug. The Republican party has done much worse then he has, they won't win by bringing up his bad policies (which he does have, unfortunately their credibility is shit so it's a non-starter). The real matter is whether Obama's right, not how "smug" he is. Which is a joke anyway. He's definitely one of the most humble politicians America has had in recent times.

I remember that humble moment when he declared it was the moment when the oceans began to recede. Then there was the humble stage with the reproduction of the Parthenon on it...

So humble.

Wasn't he explaining to the R's (after they had failed to help do anything useful) that he had won the election and it was time to stop cock blocking all the work that needed to get done because they were upset?

• Options

nice!

It has some kick. It kicks. It will kick you. And yes I want to watch.

Oh that doesn't sound as good to me.

• Options

So humble.

Wasn't he explaining to the R's (after they had failed to help do anything useful) that he had won the election and it was time to stop cock blocking all the work that needed to get done because they were upset?

But Caveman, Democrats aren't supposed to do that!

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

To each their own. Occam's razor made the decision for me. But thanks for talking about it.

It totally makes sense I mean..c'mon. I'm a freaking bartender who doesn't drink. Sometimes I'm so tempted to just go somewhere and try a Heffie or an AMF. I just..I saw so many families on my mission who, they were completely poor, but the foundations that the church give people helped them overcome their problems.

Plus, you know, there are a lot of hot mormons girls. Not as many as people make it seem sometimes, but still...lots.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

That's...that's quite a thing.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

So humble.

You really hate this guy, don't you?

I think winning the presidency of the United States gives one the option to be a little less humble than regular people, hell even winning a nomination is a big deal.

None of the moments your pointing out burned him, though. He's still a pretty humble guy compared to some Presidents we've had though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I feel kinda toolish because all my roommates are hanging out in the living room.

But I am le tired!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.