As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    A Ron Paul fan might say that Paul's going to steal delegates from Romney, as they will suddenly declare their true intentions at the convention.

But that same Ron Paul fan will also tell you that Paul is being held back by a vast and shadowed conspiracy, so really the crazy cancels itself out.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Barack Obama was on Jimmy Fallon tonight, and along with a long interview, he Slow Jammed the News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4&feature=colike

The mic drop at the end seals it. Election over.

Also thought it was cool that he shouts out a Key & Peele impression of him in the interview.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Also, since this is gonna be a big election issue, Obama says he and Michelle just finished paying their loans 8 years ago.

He's been President for nearly 4.

Holy. Shit. That's how pervasive student loans are. the President had to take them. The Leader of the Free World. Damn.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Barack Obama was on Jimmy Fallon tonight, and along with a long interview, he Slow Jammed the News:

(a badass video)

Also thought it was cool that he shouts out a Key & Peele impression of him in the interview.

barack-ness monster?

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    The biggest issues I'll be paying attention to this election year will be LBGT rights and student loans, both of which (surprisingly) pertain to me.

I have a feeling that while Obama will be pushing loans and foreign affairs, the GOP is going to push a war on conservative women.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Also, since this is gonna be a big election issue, Obama says he and Michelle just finished paying their loans 8 years ago.

Holy. Shit. That's how pervasive student loans are. the President had to take them. The Leader of the Free World. Damn.

President Obama was poorer than dirt coming up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it, Obama should use that. Romney's going to keep harping his bs about how he wants to "Protect the American Dream"

Well, Obama's kind of living it.

You know how your teachers always said but didn't mean that "Anyone can be president"?

Well...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I know he was poor, it's just laid out like that, something about it connected. He should mention that everywhere, especially if Ann Romney is gonna keep talking about how they "suffered" to the point of having to sell stock.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Indeed.

Oh my God, Romney is saying that Obama isn't running on his record...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Also, remember that Obama is pretty young and went to law school. I'll probably finish paying my loans at the same age he did.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Michelle got her law degree in '88, Barack got his '91. So 16 and 13 years to pay them off. Which is ridiculous as they were both pretty successful.

Anyway, the sixth part of the interview on Fallon's site is the thing that he really should just repeat all the god damn time. As should every Democrat.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Michelle got her law degree in '88, Barack got his '91. So 16 and 13 years to pay them off. Which is ridiculous as they were both pretty successful.

Anyway, the sixth part of the interview on Fallon's site is the thing that he really should just repeat all the god damn time. As should every Democrat.

That is how most loans at the graduate level (and I imagine they also had some from undergrad) are timed out, though.

It's still awful and something we should address. It's a very powerful part of the message I should think.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4&feature=colike

That is pretty damn great.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    hot damn do I love this president.

And this president apparently likes Jimmy Fallon. Hasn't he done something at the white house with Michelle too?

Goddamn that was freaking awesome.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    That Fallon clip is goddamn amazing. Even when I have legitimate reasons to be cranky at this President, he finds a way to make me love him.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Though they, Barack at least, were successful in ways that didn't use their lawyerness to to their full profit potential. How unAmerican.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

Would it be bad taste to start getting in politicians' faces about things that happened to them in the past that was out of their control?

"BDSM is such a disgraceful scar on American society. People whipping, hitting, electrocuting each other for sexual 'pleasure.' BUT I'M SURE JOHN MCCAIN IS INTO THAT."

What is McCain even referencing?

IIRC it was recently revealed that Obama ate dog meat in Indonesia when he was a child.

I know it's late but doesn't this mean he's not a secret muslim/jew as dogs are prohibited in the same manner as pigs

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

Would it be bad taste to start getting in politicians' faces about things that happened to them in the past that was out of their control?

"BDSM is such a disgraceful scar on American society. People whipping, hitting, electrocuting each other for sexual 'pleasure.' BUT I'M SURE JOHN MCCAIN IS INTO THAT."

What is McCain even referencing?

IIRC it was recently revealed that Obama ate dog meat in Indonesia when he was a child.

I know it's late but doesn't this mean he's not a secret muslim/jew as dogs are prohibited in the same manner as pigs

The thing about this is that anyone who is willing to make a big deal about the dog is probably already convinced about his secret muslimness to the point where a small theological wrinkle like that won't make the slightest dent in their minds.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, they'll just call him a hypocritical Muslim dog eater now.

Mayber superimpose him snacking on Lassie.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Way to reel in the youth vote. Lassie. Kids these days are all about Benji.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Way to reel in the youth vote. Lassie. Kids these days are all about Benji.

There you go, thinking like a young person. Obama eating Lassie works well for Republicans! Many are old enough to remember when Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a box office smash!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah seriously, 4K is easy. I make like...I guess just under 2K. Can we challenge Romney to that?

(In fairness, I don't support a family with that income.)

But some people do. Specifically the single mothers Ann Romney is so chummy with.

I'm sure Romney doesn't spend much more than 4K a month of personal income. The rest is probably business lunches, gifts from donors, and items on expenses (and the rest is a lot I'm sure...)

Although, on the student loans thing. Up till 8 years ago the interest on student loans was probably below the interest on medium term investment, so it's just good fiscal sense to not pay them off at higher than the minimum rate. The amount of student loans you have is what is problematic, not how long it takes to pay them (since there is an incentive to make it take as long as possible)

Of course, if rates rise in an environment where making money on savings is very hard it will switch from that situation to one where student loan debt is truly crippling both in terms of payment time and in terms of the amount.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Do I make the call on this?

...eh. Close enough. No sense waiting till Tuesday. We've lost Newt Gingrich.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, 4K is easy. I make like...I guess just under 2K. Can we challenge Romney to that?

But some people do. Specifically the single mothers Ann Romney is so chummy with.

I'm sure Romney doesn't spend much more than 4K a month of personal income. The rest is probably business lunches, gifts from donors, and items on expenses.

Well the idea is he'd have to run on a real person's budget. It'll never happen, but it'd be a good experiment for him.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »

CNN seems to be confirming it.

What a sad day for democracy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I don't think he was. Compared to the average president (or Romney) he was. But his family background seems to have been pretty standard middle class, sometimes struggling, sometimes doing well. Like most people here I imagine. He wasn't hungry or homeless growing up.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

I'm sure Romney doesn't spend much more than 4K a month of personal income. The rest is probably business lunches, gifts from donors, and items on expenses.

Well the idea is he'd have to run on a real person's budget. It'll never happen, but it'd be a good experiment for him.

I was implying that he is even more out of touch than he would be even if he was actually spending vast sums to upkeep his lifestyle. I probably exaggerate a bit but I'm sure he gets PLENTY of stuff for well below market rate, and gets paid well above market rate for anything he does outside of politics.

• Options
    Gosling wrote: »

Curse you Gingrich! Why couldn't you have called for Conservatives to rise up and attack the false prophet Romney to honor your legacy.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I picked median income for a shrewed political calculation though. As it is, I don't expect that family to be albe to curtail themselves even that much. I.E. 4k a month is equaly out of the realm of possibility as 2k. Or 6k. They can't do it. But since the median income is 49k a year, that is the number I picked.

And when they inevitably fail you can point out to them that half the country doesn't even have it as good as that.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Shine on, you crazy Moon King

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I picked median income for a shrewed political calculation though. As it is, I don't expect that family to be albe to curtail themselves even that much. I.E. 4k a month is equaly out of the realm of possibility as 2k. Or 6k. They can't do it. But since the median income is 49k a year, that is the number I picked.

And when they inevitably fail you can point out to them that half the country doesn't even have it as good as that.

The challenge makes no sense though. Romney has a lifestyle that costs more than that to upkeep. If any person living on 50k a year were to try and live like him, they'd be rightly called idiots. He can't simply downgrade his lifestyle for a few months; he has made commitments that can't be broken for a challenge, such as employing domestic servants, PAs, and other personal staff.

It's like challenging an ordinary American to live on a dollar a day like the people of the third world; that wouldn't even cover the rent.

It is completely possible for a rich man to look at a poor family's household budget and understand them without having to live it. Romney chooses not to.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The thing is though, Romney makes enough money so that he can do both without breaking a sweat.

Put a money manager on the normal stuff for 6 months, and keep a seperate budget for purposes of the challenge.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

NBC's video player is failing for me. Could I get some cliff notes?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    Naw, he knows he won't get the nomination. He's just an old man that wants to go on vacation to a sunny place.

Local strip club operators are remodeling for a GOP customer "bonanza" during the convention.

Maybe Newt'll show up.

If I had the money, I'd open a strip club in tampa called "Tail of Newt" just for the convention.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

A favorite phrase of conservatives is that Obama wasn't really poor because he lived on Hawaii with his grandparents.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    @RyanLizza: Rubio: "I left my last page of the speech. Does anyone have my last page?"”

That's definitely Veepstakes candidate Marco Rubio getting a tough lesson on why he probably should stop making fun of the presidents TelePrompTer

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    In Hawaii we have no poor people.

I mean just look at all these homeless people. They're living in Hawaii!

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Maybe it is the grandparents part. Grandparents can't be poor, right?

• Options

The challenge makes no sense though. Romney has a lifestyle that costs more than that to upkeep. If any person living on 50k a year were to try and live like him, they'd be rightly called idiots. He can't simply downgrade his lifestyle for a few months; he has made commitments that can't be broken for a challenge, such as employing domestic servants, PAs, and other personal staff.

It's like challenging an ordinary American to live on a dollar a day like the people of the third world; that wouldn't even cover the rent.

It is completely possible for a rich man to look at a poor family's household budget and understand them without having to live it. Romney chooses not to.

I disagree with your statement entirely. It's how you end up with articles like my favorite article ever where HENRYs (High earners, not rich yet) are talking about not being rich despite having incomes of 200K a year plus (way plus for some of them) due to their high expenses on luxuries.

"I'm saving 100K a year for retirement! And have six kids in lacrosse class! I've not even got enough left to own a second yacht!"

Until you try, you don't understand. Even understanding 4K, or 6K is tough for someone whose likely never earned less than 50K a month.

Oh, and if the average American was running for president of the third world, I think walking a few miles in their shoes might be a decent idea. Clearly you'd scale it up a bit due to differing price levels in the US, but it would not be unreasonable.

• Options
    Pretty much the point I was trying to make. Even in college, they lived on the equivalant of 75k a year in today's money.

This discussion has been closed.