As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Sell me on Dustforce. Is it SMB level of hard? I've been watching the videos, it seems you can't really die, so no forced restarts am I right? It's more about clearing the most leaves in the fastest amount of time. Even if I am crap at it, can I move on to the next level?

Speed doesn't matter much really. There's a general amount of levels you'll have access too. A bunch of other levels open up when you perfect levels. Perfecting them means two things, getting all the crap swept up (meaning all the stuff on the levels, and defeating all the enemies) and keeping your combo going. So it's hard, because you're unlikely to perfect a level without a few runs of it to get the layout and figure out how to keep your combo going the entire time, but it's generally much friendlier than SMB's instant deaths or worrying about a fraction of a second. It does track speed but that's more for bragging rights in the leader boards, who can get a perfect in the lowest time sort of thing.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Sell me on Dustforce. Is it SMB level of hard? I've been watching the videos, it seems you can't really die, so no forced restarts am I right? It's more about clearing the most leaves in the fastest amount of time. Even if I am crap at it, can I move on to the next level?
    To a certain extent. Level progression is somewhat limited by keys, keys earned by getting good ranks in the levels.
    Ranks are based on your Completion and Finesse, Finesse pretty much just being your ability to maintain a combo (getting from dirt patch to dirt patch quickly)

about half the levels start off locked, so there is still quite a bit of content you can access even if you never manage to complete a level.
    It is possible to view other players replays from within the level so you can get a good idea of how to run the level for the best score.

I would say it is easier than SMB, but the challenge isn't in finishing the level but rather in finishing it well.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »
    For me it was two words magical together: permanent levitation. I created a belt with that property and I could then walk on air to anywhere and where ever I wanted. Avoided most of the tedious random stuff along the way too!

Except Cliff Racers... always cliff racers.

Scrolls of Ikarian Flight, Boots of blinding speed... Morrowind just had something that I didn't find in Oblivion nor Skyrim (even though Skyrim is a great game.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bought Valley Without Wind on a whim...

I can't stop going o.O ?!?

It's really.... weird...

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    CLASS ALERT LEVEL RAISED TO TOTALLY FUCKING DAPPER:

@Iolo gifted me DE:HR out of the blue today! :^: :^: :^: :^:

So, now that everyone in the Thread has Borderlands, you will now start gifting HR?

Oh @Iolo, you classy gent.

I'd just like everyone to know that apparently the answer to this question is YES, because number one on my wishlist just got moved into my library, and the classiest bard in Britannia is responsible.

@Iolo is the best, you guys. The best.
    KZAI7.png
    R736K.png

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Fanda, your avatar being that excited about hanging itself is terrifying.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Could I get the opinions of some RPG-enthusiasts?

I've been working on a project, and am having trouble deciding whether combat should happen on the overworld (most western RPGs), in a battlespace (most jRPGs), or if each round of combat should 'play out' (similar to Fire Emblem and Advance Wars)

It is hex-based, and I intend for some level of tactical decision-making.

Tamin on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    just a quick tip for those who are thinking of buying Sniper Elite v2 - you can get it on getgamesgo.com for $29.99, which is 20 dollars less than it is on Steam. You also still get the preorder mission and weapons. When you buy it there, the cd key and dlc key is immediately available to you in your account info, you don't have to wait for anything.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    also, if anyone is iffy about Sniper Elite v2, I'm starting the campaign

http://www.livestream.com/docshifty

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

I've been working on a project, and am having trouble deciding whether combat should happen on the overworld (most western RPGs), in a battlespace (most jRPGs), or if each round of combat should 'play out' (similar to Fire Emblem and Advance Wars)

I'm not exactly an rpg-enthusiast, but I think battlespace combat makes alot of sense for a hex-based game. You move a unit to a particular hex to do battle, the FOV zooms in to that particular hex (probably with added detail, but still recognizable as the same hex from the full-view), after battle you zoom back out to the full-view. That just makes alot of sense, aesthetically speaking , to me.

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Damn after watching some videos,im really interested in A Valley Without Wind,but i dont know if im 15 dollars interested

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

This depends on a lot of other little things. Are you going to incorporate things like terrain or height advantages? How would unit location on the grid be determined? Will there be alternate victory/loss conditions or is it always "kill everybody esle"? Something like Fire Emblem has premade maps with semi-customizable unit locations.

Wait... I just read another comment. Is the entire game hex-based or is it just the combat?

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Docshifty wrote: »

I can't watch it from work. Thoughts so far?

Also, hats off to the guy who gifted you that. 50 dollar gift, that's pretty classy.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damn after watching some videos,im really interested in A Valley Without Wind,but i dont know if im 15 dollars interested

I'm sure it'll be on sale for 5 bucks soon or in a humble bundle.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »

This depends on a lot of other little things. Are you going to incorporate things like terrain or height advantages? How would unit location on the grid be determined? Will there be alternate victory/loss conditions or is it always "kill everybody else"? Something like Fire Emblem has premade maps with semi-customizable unit locations.

Wait... I just read another comment. Is the entire game hex-based or is it just the combat?

The whole over world would be on a hex-grid. If a battlespace were used, it would take place *inside* a given hex. Combatants would simply be on opposite sides of the hex.

Terrain / height advantages? Yes, I would like to do this. Which smoothly negates the idea of switching to a battlespace, as almost nothing would carry over. edit: actually, there is at least one useful thing that would carry over. The terrain of the unit being attacked could factor in; rocks, for example, could penalize or benefit combatants.

A full combat sequence would (currently) result in the death or retreat of either the player or the opponent - which brings me back to a battlespace; running away on a hex-grid is cumbersome. edit x2: the earlier edit is equally applicable here, as now we have two hexes (one for the player and one for the opponent), each with (possibly unique) terrain types.

Fire Emblem's maps are a tactical challenge in and of themselves; the focus is on force composition, maneuvering, and taking objectives / killing unique enemies.

The tactics in my project are of the one-on-one kind (or, possibly, a small party-on-party). For which, an animation showing the outcome of a round of decision making
    WWARw.jpg
    seems to work fairly well.

When I first started, I put in a battlespace for the exact reason TheCanMan suggests: it's aesthetically pleasing. It also helps provide a clear 'this is combat' signal to the player (and the code). But, traditionally, western RPGs (and other hex-games) don't have this concept of a battlespace.

So, I am quite torn.

Tamin on
  • Options

I can't watch it from work. Thoughts so far?

Also, hats off to the guy who gifted you that. 50 dollar gift, that's pretty classy.

Yeah, props to Cloudbomb for the gift.

As to thoughts.

It is brutal. If you have a problem with video game violence this is not the game for you. If you're on the other end of the spectrum, it is amazing.

Taking out the violence, its still a fun game, though without the x-ray came and testikills, I don't know how much WW2 would've sold me on it.

• Options
    From what I played, it's a pretty good stealth/sniping simulation in itself, too. Booby trapping bodies, setting trip mines in entrances to protect your sniping nest, moving bodies around, etc. Good fun. It has some good bullet hit physics, too. Feels very solid.

The x-ray shots didn't bother me like I thought they would. I even turned up the frequency of killcams playing.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    From what I played, it's a pretty good stealth/sniping simulation in itself, too. Booby trapping bodies, setting trip mines in entrances to protect your sniping nest, moving bodies around, etc. Good fun. It has some good bullet hit physics, too. Feels very solid.

The x-ray shots didn't bother me like I thought they would. I even turned up the frequency of killcams playing.

Yeah, luckily its still, I don't know, gamey? enough that I wasn't bothered by them. If it looked any better though, it might be unnerving.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    there is no demo on steam for Dustforce but there is one here for anybody on the fence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Noitu Love 2 is fuckin awesome.
    Yes. Yes it is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular

What kind of rig/connection do you need to do that? It looks pretty decent. I tried to stream some stuff once and it made my game playing really laggy and the video itself sucked.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I loved the Sniper 2 demo after Isy was going insane with it, so we had to have some more people to enjoy it. I think the price is a bit steep atm, but whatever. It's great fun. Can't wait to get some co-op going on.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Oh EA. This is in the registry "EA Indie Bundle." What will you think of next?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

An indie bundle published by a major publisher?

I love it

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I love it

to be fair Bastion is published by Warner Bros and I'm pretty sure most people consider it an indie game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I love it

Hipster Bundle.

So Indie it's Mainstream

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Does sniper from get games go activate on steam?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh and the EA bundle will include: Shank, Shank 2, the two non-Baconing Deathspank games, Gatling Gears, and Warp. Given the newness of a few of those I''m going to wager this is going to be a weekend deal and be fairly expensive still.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
  • Options

yeah, it's Steamworks.

Anyone buying it now basically has no reason to get it directly on Steam. Can't believe it's a 20 dollar difference at the moment.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

yeah, it's Steamworks.

Anyone buying it now basically has no reason to get it directly on Steam. Can't believe it's a 20 dollar difference at the moment.

Word is, since its a Euro site, it gets you the preorder stuff as well. Can't confirm though. Although maybe that was just an earlier thing.

• Options

yeah, it's Steamworks.

Word is, since its a Euro site, it gets you the preorder stuff as well. Can't confirm though. Although maybe that was just an earlier thing.

I can confirm. That's where I got it, and I got the Hitler mission as well as the guns.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

yeah, it's Steamworks.

D:

Newell...you have been outdone!

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Gonna be a few more Avernum giveaways when I get my money on the 3rd. Just sayin :)

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    90 hours played of Avernum certainly suggest you enjoyed it, and wish to pass similar enjoyment onto other people.

Your tophat and monocle are well-earned!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Wow 90 hours of Avernum!? Its really that good??

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I loved the Sniper 2 demo after Isy was going insane with it, so we had to have some more people to enjoy it. I think the price is a bit steep atm, but whatever. It's great fun. Can't wait to get some co-op going on.

Aye the demo was pure unfiltered fun. If it wasn't so fun I might even be annoyed that the game won't unlock til friday for us UKers. And I wanna thank @Cloudbomb again for gifting me the game, superclassy sniper that he is. <3

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Hey! Someone make @Elbasunu stop buying me games on Steam. He just gifted me a copy of Dustforce. I was all "lol u by a gam 4 me lol" and he was all "pfft, okay, I totally just bought a game for you" and I was all "whaaaaaaaaat".

I... I can't keep up. How do you stop someone from being so nice? How do you fight that?! Why won't he buy games for himseeeeeelf whyyyyy... *sob sob*

(Seriously, though. Holy crap, dude, thanks!)

brig_banner.png
This discussion has been closed.