As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Xagar wrote: »
    TERA's combat is nice but the quests are insultingly bad.

This. Only played like 5 hours, and it was one generic quest after another. Combat was definitely badass, but I need more than just that.

edit: why are the 5's in the text boxes on the buy.guildwars2.com site like two pixels lower than all the other numbers?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    I've got TERA filed under "check again a month after release". GW2 was pre-purchased because I'm certain I'll get at least an acceptable amount of fun playtime for my $60, even if it winds up being less awesome than I hope.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have grown fond of TS3.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LethinatorLethinator Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I've been so busy preparing for school/attending PAXEast haven't been able to keep up with the new thread. New beta weekend. For those of you to whom this is old news, oh my god oh my god. Is everyone else peeing in their pants? I've waited years to play this game. Hopefully it's not one of those servers-go-up, servers-go-down after 20 minutes deals. :(

• Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    Lethinator wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not one of those servers-go-up, servers-go-down after 20 minutes deals. :(

Going by the last GW2 stress test (which was last week) I'd assume they are better prepared for when the real deal hits. Maybe.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Still 6.5 days to go. I think time is starting to slow down... damn it.

Stupid wrote: »
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    I have ADD that is so bad that I am legally disabled because of it. Part of what this means, is that unless I'm paying specific attention to it (like I do at work... which is at a call center :lol: ), I start talking... and talking... and talking... and talking. I'm not even consciously aware of it when it happens. The medication I'm on helps quite a bit in terms of allowing me to focus, but it does nothing for my tendency to run my mouth.

Well I'm sorry that your ADD is that bad, but since we know about this problem we (well, at least myself) can be civil and if it does become a problem we can just let you know and deal with it then. I'd say its only a problem if others are mature enough to not take offense to it.
    The other problem is that the stuff I say I find hiiilarriiioooous, but it's really only funny if you're me.

I'm the same way here, about 50% of the time at least.

I was thinking about this all afternoon. I think it might actually be entertaining to listen to a "stream of consciousnesses" chat. After all, we're all friends here (aren't we?). Especially if we use mumble. I mean, if it got annoying, it's literally two mouse clicks to mute someone.

Well we will have channels of course. So if people get tired of chatter in the general channel they can duck into a different one. I hope overall we will have some good camaraderie going on, but of course from time to time quiet/focus is preferable.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Gunna blurf a bit here about the server:

The way I have Teamspeak 3 setup now, anyone can make their own channels on the fly. You get full control of the channel including password protecting it if you want to just play with family/friends or are in a serious 5 on 5 pvp match and dont want anyone popping in. The channels are automatically deleted when the last user leaves them, prevents clutter.

And yes, you can bind mouse button 5 to push to talk.

There is one minor kink i need to work out, but its superficial. Currently if you are a normal user and create a channel it puts the audio quality on its lowest setting. This can be corrected by the person who created the channel, just edit the channel and move the quality slider up, and latency down. I briefed all the server admins on this issue, so they will be able to assist in correcting it if people are confused. I hopefully will have it corrected by friday.

To create a channel, first join the parent channel where you want to make your channel. Then right click that channel and select 'Create Sub-Channel'.

Plus I got the GW community banner up on the server, which links back to this thread. Avatars are enabled so feel free to use your forum avatar.

One thing we can do is setup custom Icons for the channel. If someone wants to provide these they need to be 16x16 in size, and should be instantly recognizeable.

Complaints are enabled. 5 complaints against a single user will temp kick that user. I am going to try to leave it like this, do not abuse this feature. This is so the guild can self regulate if someone jumps on and starts broadcasting garbage into the channels without having to wake an admin up. Ent will be connected to the server via his android when he isnt at his computer so we should have someone availible at most times in any case. If you create your own channel you have the ability to kick users from your own channel, but not the server.

And yes you can connect to the server with any idevice or android.

Currently the server admins are: Draygo, Corehealer, Entaru, Geod, and Enig any additional admins will be added on an as needed basis only. You can leave a message for any of us on the forums or an offline message in teamspeak. Add us to your contacts (in teamspeak) then you will have the option to send an offline message if need be (or any user).

Rules of the teamspeak server are simple: What goes on the PA forums, goes on the server. Don't be a dick, no personal insults except silly goose, etc.

File transfer is disabled, if you accidently discover you can upload files to a certain channel, notify an admin.

Pokes are currently enabled, do not abuse.

Forced PTT is disabled but may be used in certain channels if it becomes an issue. So make sure you have a reasonably bound PTT key. Currently this is off, but it may change for the WuvWuv channel, last thing we need is the potential to blast 20 peoples ears off with echo.

CELT Mono codec is to be used on an as needed basis where absolute voice quality is required. The current voice settings sound excellent as is, so this is pretty much for radio/streams that could use the better setting. Prior approval and setup will be handled by an Admin. For example if Corehealer is streaming his play, and he is playing with several PA members that he wants his stream watchers to be able to hear then he can create a channel with the CELT Mono codec, and invite those users.

The server is for PA users and friends and family of PA users, not for any other guild to freely use at this time. That said, if you are going to setup a serious 5 on 5 team consisting of all PA users I wont have any objection to you using the server. If that is not the case and it is a seperate entity, get prior approval from me.

End blurf.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    You guys are great!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This. Only played like 5 hours, and it was one generic quest after another. Combat was definitely badass, but I need more than just that.

edit: why are the 5's in the text boxes on the buy.guildwars2.com site like two pixels lower than all the other numbers?

That's because in Korea it IS just a grindfest. The localizations team, afaik, just slapped some quests on top of your standard Korean MMO and called it a day.

Also, you know, loli. Tons of loli.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    shryke wrote: »

That's because in Korea it IS just a grindfest. The localizations team, afaik, just slapped some quests on top of your standard Korean MMO and called it a day.

Also, you know, loli. Tons of loli.

I would feel very uncomfortable playing that game around other people, and playing it made me vaguely dirty. I'm the last person who should be creeped out by anything—hell, my avvy/sig is a good example of that—but... yuck. Ew.

I mean, I should find the Popori absolutely adorable! But...there are almost no faces for them that don't look like they belong to 3-year-olds.

If you're in the beta for that game, roll up a female Popori and you'll see exactly what I mean. The faces freak me the hell out. They make that race go from "Awwww!" to "Uhhh...am I going to jail now?"

REAL EDIT: Apparently they're "elins" and not "popori" but I don't even know it's still weird

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My proposed solution is that ArenaNet allows us to have access the asura, so they can go cleanse TERA and subjugate that world in the name of the superior mass-efficient race.

EDIT: Gah, double-post

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    REAL EDIT: Apparently they're "elins" and not "popori" but I don't even know it's still weird

I'm with you on the fem popos elins. I have no interest in the race (same with Asura) and I see them as a large smear on an otherwise funish mmo. Yes the quests are not very inspired but the gameplay with a controller is fun and it keeping me interested for now. I really hope GW2 can also be played with a controller.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got my TERA girl elf to level 11, was rewarded with an outfit that defies physics unless there's a bunch of double sided tape involved. Quests are so bad in this game, the last one for the newbie zone was a pretty nifty encounter with a boss, but the rest has been crap.

If there's better stuff later, they really fail at throwing that hook out early. I can tell definitively without having played it that GW2's quests are better, just from the videos I've seen, and that the game grabs you. TERA's combat is pretty good though, it starts off kind of meh but once you start adding abilities and facing more complex enemies you realize it's less about being able to just click any enemy to death, and more about if you use your abilities properly you can kill multiple enemies without taking any damage, vastly improving your time to kill.

It's a shame for TERA that GW2 is coming out within 2 months of it and Diablo 3 is releasing virtually the same day as it. :)

override367 on
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    People just catching up on the thread please sign your name for the list of prepurchaser's if you have already done so and will be playing in next weeks beta event.

Also gonna hop on Tera Online for a bit and lurk around the Teamspeak server, im open to play with anyone if they are trying it out too!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Lots of wrong information being spread around about TERA. Just putting that out there.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah Im 0K with teamspeak. It keeps calling me a dirty guest, but I had no trouble talking to dudes.

And I can make dirty little secret rooms when things need to get.... dirty.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Like?

That's an interesting thing to say and then not put anything out there.

Edit: Re: Beezel up there. Kai didn't even show up in my browser for awhile, but the vanilla forums seem to do weird things when the timestamps are close.

Astale on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Astale wrote: »
    Like?

That's an interesting thing to say and then not put anything out there.

I hear it being described as a grind a lot. It's not. The chief complaint leveraged against the game when it launched in Korea was that it was not grindy enough. The then playerbase raced to the then level cap of 50 and called it a day. They've since added content and concentrated on delivering engaging combat experiences for players. Combat has always been the game's primary hook. That was the rumored original design intent. To make an mmo that plays more like an action game instead of a grinder that koreans could click mindlessly on while sitting in a net cafe chain smoking. Unlike say...Aion. Speaking of.

"That's because in Korea it IS just a grindfest. The localizations team, afaik, just slapped some quests on top of your standard Korean MMO and called it a day."

You can reach the now level 60 cap in about 3-4 days /played time give or take. Less if you play a ton. That's about Wrath WoW leveling speed. That is not a "grindfest". I'm not sure what people consider a grind these days but apparently anything that isn't rewarding the player every 10 minutes is now considered a grind or something. (Ignore that last sentence. It's bitterness on my part) On top of that, aside from localization and translation, the game has been altered mechanically to eliminate weird korean mmo game design leftovers like Player run stores, random enchantments, etc. They've probably put the most work into the conversion of a korean mmo that I've ever seen from the western arm of an asian based company. The italicized statement above is pretty dang false and dismissive on top of that.

Having played the game, I feel I can say that yes, the quests aren't going to win any awards for original design and they break up that formula only now and again. That was never their stated intention or goal. They wanted to make a game with fun combat. That's what it was billed as. That is the game's strength. I went in knowing that and I feel they've upheld that agreement.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This isn't the Tera thread.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: Damnit Echo >;o

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, just put myself in the prepurchaser's list. That thing is getting pretty long!

• Options
    I'm going to be a filthy casual and wait until it's up on steam to pre-order.

Wait, is it going to be up on steam? Is it up on steam already? I can't keep track of everything, gah! Okay, if it's not going on steam, where is it going?

I'm going to go check the first post and see if my answers are already there now, if so, ignore me!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Astale wrote: »
    I'm going to be a filthy casual and wait until it's up on steam to pre-order.

Wait, is it going to be up on steam? Is it up on steam already? I can't keep track of everything, gah! Okay, if it's not going on steam, where is it going?

I'm going to go check the first post and see if my answers are already there now, if so, ignore me!

Pre-purchase it directly from ArenaNet and then you can get into the beta starting next weekend.

http://buy.guildwars2.com

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you, I was just eyeballing the OP and it's kind of the War & Peace of posts. Didn't want to read through that.

• Options
    Yeah ok thanks echo, was wondering why the fuck people were talking about tera in here. Like seriously.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Yeah ok thanks echo, was wondering why the fuck people were talking about tera in here. Like seriously.

I know that for me it's because I'm trying to conserve my GW2 excitement for next weekend. I've been running on full-bore SUPER EXCITED for... five... years now, and I gotta slow down just a little bit before I jam on the throttle for that final stretch.

I apologize for getting too far off-topic.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    One thing Draygo failed to mention is that the server is 100 seat.

Which is about as awesome as can be. We don't have to have too much concern with filling it up.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    It keeps calling me a dirty guest

Fixed.

You are now a dirty member.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    they were talking about Tera because someone made pretty direct comparison between it and GW2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Sorry I left TS3 last night without saying goodbye Draygo and Entaru, I've been fighting a cold almost all month and it flared up again so I was more inclined to go flop in bed rather then continue talking. You guys really came through on a good VC solution and I've gotten used to it now that Draygo explained the important stuff to me. We should be fine going into the BWE.

Now if only my nose would cooperate by then...

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Sorry I left TS3 last night without saying goodbye Draygo and Entaru, I've been fighting a cold almost all month and it flared up again so I was more inclined to go flop in bed rather then continue talking. You guys really came through on a good VC solution and I've gotten used to it now that Draygo explained the important stuff to me. We should be fine going into the BWE.

Your title is appropriately ironic!

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Your title is appropriately ironic!

That it is Cae, that it is.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Guild Wars 2 will not be on Steam due to Steam's policy on microtransactions. That's from the mouth of Mike O'Brian.

WaM, I totally saw you yesterday but you looked busy and you ran away from the scary press pack. ;)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Draygo wrote: »
    It keeps calling me a dirty guest

Fixed.

You are now a dirty member.
    I like my dirty member

• Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Guild Wars 2 will not be on Steam due to Steam's policy on microtransactions. That's from the mouth of Mike O'Brian.

Steam has other F2P games like STO & Spiral Knights that make you pay real money for certain quest packs and such; so does Steam only allow -certain styles- of microtransactions, then?

Pai on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok custom icons are all setup on the server. Regular members can join and leave the specific profession groups and race groups if they want a race or profession icon next to their name.

I'm having too much fun with this. Need some icons for the PvP rooms.
    totallyawesomets.png

Draygo on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Pai wrote: »

Steam has other F2P games like STO & Spiral Knights that make you pay real money for certain quest packs and such; so does Steam only allow -certain styles- of microtransactions, then?

It wouldn't surprise me if Steam policy on micro transactions is that they should happen through Steam wallet and that Arenanet doesn't like that.

I don't know any details, but that'd be my guess.

• Options
    Its wierd because gw1 is on steam and it has its own seperate store.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

I'd imagine their new DLC policies aren't retroactive.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Guild Wars came out on Steam long before Steam had any systems for DLC or micro transactions in place.

This discussion has been closed.