As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] pooped on the floor again

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    That's right: Iceland might adopt the Canadian dollar as its official currency.

http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/06/is-canada-the-worlds-next-superpower/

Laughing.So.Hard.

Don't you dare fuck with our plans to get Iceland back under the norwegian crown, canada

Sure, I'll fight Norway.

I'll fight Norway in a heartbeat. Anytime, any place. :P

More like Snoreway.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    We should switch to the gold standard globally, if only because dealing with FC/LC is a pain the fucking yarbles.

165,000 tonnes of gold has been mined in the history of humanity

165,000 tonnes = 5,304,873,180 troy oz

gold is currently ~1,700 per troy ounce

all gold ever mined is worth $9,018,284,406,000

US debt alone is roughly $15,500,000,000,000

this is why the gold standard is a bad idea

Let's not forget you'd be at the mercy of some jackass tinpot dictator hording gold and disrupting supply lines crashin the economy

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I wish there was an option on these travel websites to say something like, "I want to leave at any point in this range of dates and I want to stay there for two weeks. FIND ME THE BEST PRICE!"

This exists. It's like "flexible itinerary" or something.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    We should switch to the gold standard globally, if only because dealing with FC/LC is a pain the fucking yarbles.

That's just like, your opinion, man.
    Think about how awesome it would be if you could look at a random excel cell put named "SOMETHING Amount" and not have to guess whether you you're looking at Real 'Murrican dollars, Canadian funny money, Euros, or Rials?

You could make smart decisions about your date purchases.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

The Gold Standard is a bad idea because it is a (relatively) fixed currency supply and economics is not a zero-sum game. If your economy is tied to a fixed quantity currency, then you are basically forcing your economy to act like a zero-sum game, which severely fucks things up.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    why are we arguing about canadian funny munny
    because it's not funny munny

that's my point

the CAD has been the USD's near-equal and periodic better for years

Gooey and tyrannus take affront to this, apparently
    because it's half right and half wrong. the rates float at ~ 1, but looking at a 10 yr graph the dollar is almost always over the CAD

do a 10 year and look at how much of this graph is actually above 1, and thus "better"

http://www.google.com/finance?q=CADUSD
    So, Tyrannus, you're saying that like all things Canadian, their dollar is a good, but slightly shittier imitation of the American counterpart?
    it's prettier

Our newest $50 bill has a part that's see-through!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the fact that someone made a movie about the boardgame battleships is reason enough to launch the nukes and start over.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i'd imagine that if we banned cash (net) settlements on future contracts, and required the end buyer to actually possess the underlying, you'd see a lot of that type of warehousing too

tyrannus on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    This review of Battleship reveals a very very important piece of information about it which I shall now put in spoilers:
    The Review wrote:
    The biggest missed opportunity in this film (and there are many), is that no one, at any point, shouts: “You’ve sunk my battleship!”

Deal breaker

This is like Samuel L. Jackson not saying "mother fucking" in a movie. This is inexcusable.

I'm still waiting for Benedict Cumberbatch to say "Elementary my dear Watson"

It better come in the 3rd series.

Sherlock Holmes never said that in the books.

Sure, but faithfulness to the books doesn't really seem to be what Steven Moffat is going for.

Everyone in Victorian London used an SMS system that projected what they were communicating in white text in the general area. Fact.

True, but according to the historical texts I've perused it was all steam powered.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Man, fuck Ann Romney. She didn't choose to stay home to raise her children; she chose to stay home and let her servants raise her children.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Clarification: I was joking about the gold standard. The gold standard is obviously a dumb idea.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »

that's my point

because it's half right and half wrong. the rates float at ~ 1, but looking at a 10 yr graph the dollar is almost always over the CAD

do a 10 year and look at how much of this graph is actually above 1, and thus "better"

http://www.google.com/finance?q=CADUSD
    So, Tyrannus, you're saying that like all things Canadian, their dollar is a good, but slightly shittier imitation of the American counterpart?
    it's prettier

Our newest $50 bill has a part that's see-through!

Bob Borden and Mackenzie King have never looked so handsome
    5852863452_d895087fb5_o.jpg

5852863454_4c94e70757_o.jpg

also shoutouts to the Bank of Canada using Flickr to host its images

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Those ARE two attractive gentlemen.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Mackenzie King looks like he wants to kill and eat you.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

That only happened a couple times.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

That only happened a couple times.

That's what he was doing between 1930 and 1935 I bet.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Pretty money only encourages the 1% to hoard even more money.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

that's my point

i dont take affront to it at all

your statement was inaccurate, is all

it is also inaccurate to classify one currency as "better" over another based upon exchange rate

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Can we just agree that the best way to do things is to just get rid of the idea of currency?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Existential cat is existential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34z5dCmC4M

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Laughing.So.Hard.

Don't you dare fuck with our plans to get Iceland back under the norwegian crown, canada

Sure, I'll fight Norway.

Whatchu gonna do about it Norway? Peacefully reconcile your differences?

• Options
    Can we just agree that the best way to do things is to just get rid of the idea of currency?
    a5ehren wrote: »
    No?

You two. Kiss!

Right. Meow.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    No?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

How do you propose we handle scarcity, then?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

We get rid of scarcity as well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

All scarce goods are at the end of an assault course. First one there gets to take as much as he can carry.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

But I like being able to make people do things they would rather not do in exchange for a measure of value I have stored up over the past pay period.

• Options

Laughing.So.Hard.

Sure, I'll fight Norway.

Whatchu gonna do about it Norway? Peacefully reconcile your differences?

Discuss it calmly along with a panel of our peers, finally reaching an agreement that benefits all parties?

Is that what you want, Norway?

• Options

o_o

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

AI driven universal assemblers to make as many things as we need

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

All scarce goods are at the end of an assault course. First one there gets to take as much as he can carry.

This August on NBC!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Sarksus has completed Secret Project: The Nano Factory

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It'd be easier to kill half the population than it would be to double output.

Just sayin'.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

the perfect solution

(that sounds like a movie title)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Goddamn it, I'm never getting Alpha Centauri 2, am I?
    COME ON KICKSTARTER!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Oh, ok.

Yeah, the way it worked in Star Trek was pretty alright. Let me know when you solve scarcity, and I'll consider moving away from trade.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

o_o

If we don't have scarcity, how will Organichu be able to resist the tubs of ice cream that lay between him and a life of being morbidly obese?

• Options
    It'd be easier to kill half the population than it would be to double output.

Just sayin'.

You're not thinking big enough. Why kill half the people when you can kill 95% of people?!

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

o_o

If we don't have scarcity, how will Organichu be able to resist the tubs of ice cream that lay between him and a life of being morbidly obese?

I hate to say it but Mori's right.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Goddamn it, I'm never getting Alpha Centauri 2, am I?
    COME ON KICKSTARTER!

I heard a rumour about it, but it was just a solitary blip and nothing has come of it :(

I need a new Master of Orion and Master of Magic too. Kickstarter or not.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.