As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Basically they learned that spell casters enjoy scaling off of gear too instead of scaling well just off levels.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Started the Beta last night. Loving it. I do have one question, though: I'm playing as a Witch Doctor, and I found a really decent bow that does fire damage and it's better than everything else I've seen, but ... how do I use the damn thing? I can't seem to find any way to like, actually fire my bow now that I've got a skill set to my right mouse button. Do Witch Doctors just, not use bows? Are weapons for that class just, like, stat sticks? I mean, I'd be fine with that, because Jar of Spiders and Grasp of the Dead is RIDICULOUS and I don't even care about firing the bow. I'm just curious.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Started the Beta last night. Loving it. I do have one question, though: I'm playing as a Witch Doctor, and I found a really decent bow that does fire damage and it's better than everything else I've seen, but ... how do I use the damn thing? I can't seem to find any way to like, actually fire my bow now that I've got a skill set to my right mouse button. Do Witch Doctors just, not use bows? Are weapons for that class just, like, stat sticks? I mean, I'd be fine with that, because Jar of Spiders and Grasp of the Dead is RIDICULOUS and I don't even care about firing the bow. I'm just curious.

Weapons are basically stat sticks for all classes. Everyone uses abilities that deal weapon damage, and barbarians and demon hunters look like they hittin with their weapons, but mechanically, they just casting spells with hitting animations. You only ever use regular attack if you out of resources.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The skill animations are a lot more elaborate in Diablo 3 than previous games, so they often do not incorporate the actual weapon into the attack (except for the barbarian, who has a ton of martial skills so it's easy to just use the weapon, or DH with all his bow skills).

So yes, the bow on your Witch Doctor is basically a stat stick--but keep in mind all spells now are keyed off of weapon damage too, so your weapon DPS and attack speed affect your casting characteristics. It will still hit for fire damage and whatever else its mods are, but it will hit via your spells.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    The hilarious part comes when a wizard equips a bow and swings it in the air as she casts her magic missile.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    So yes, the bow on your Witch Doctor is basically a stat stick--but keep in mind all spells now are keyed off of weapon damage too, so your weapon DPS and attack speed affect your casting characteristics. It will still hit for fire damage and whatever else its mods are, but it will hit via your spells.

Oh, right on. That's cool. So I am doing fire damage with Jar of Spiders? That's awesome.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I do kind of wish there were more numbers available inside the actual game, it is pretty hard to evaluate how much of an improvement a new weapon or rune is to an ability with the absolutely minimal amount of information the interface provides.

So you are saying that all the weapon mods on your weapon affects my spells, is that limited to the primary ones or does it include all spells? And how does that work with spells that deal a very small percentage of my damage such as corpse spiders? If I have a weapon that does 1-2 points of fire damage and they do 16% of my damage, are they given a percentage chance of dealing fire damage or does the damage round down to 0?

I also get a little bit confused when looking at weapon since it seems elemental damage is not included in the displayed dps. I assume that if a weapon has the increased base damage mod that is displayed in the damage and dps, but I can't know for sure.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Vault on the Demon Hunter is just fantastic. Then you can make it give you a run speed buff so you can clear through long, empty hallways instantly.

Hand Crossbows + Vault + Smokebomb = League of Legends Vayne. You don't even need to aim properly if you're using Hungering Arrow!

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    Witchdoctor is the most overpowered class in the beta, by far. Once you use the intel buff skill and get around 100 DPS, everything dies instantly. 5 stacks of the intel buff + a few intel/damage items and a 2 handed 20 dps crafted flamberge and everything else falls down. Firebats do crazy damage although I still prefer grasp of the dead because it has such a long range that you can engage monsters off screen or over long distances, which may come in handy later. Skeleton king dies in seconds.

I still love my monk though. Put a bunch of IAS gear on him and throw 2 single handed weapons and it is a goddamned speed machine.

Also, they need to lengthen the skill switch timer. The fact that I can switch skills during the skeleton king fight doesn't bode well for other boss fights later on. There should be an in combat and out of combat timer, so that if you have been in combat in the last 15 seconds then your timer is longer preventing mid-fight switches. I like the idea that the harder fights require a sacrifice - if you go in with the wrong build you will probably die, instead of being able to run off and do a skill switch.

The skill switch timer is increased on higher difficulties.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I do kind of wish there were more numbers available inside the actual game, it is pretty hard to evaluate how much of an improvement a new weapon or rune is to an ability with the absolutely minimal amount of information the interface provides.

So you are saying that all the weapon mods on your weapon affects my spells, is that limited to the primary ones or does it include all spells? And how does that work with spells that deal a very small percentage of my damage such as corpse spiders? If I have a weapon that does 1-2 points of fire damage and they do 16% of my damage, are they given a percentage chance of dealing fire damage or does the damage round down to 0?

I also get a little bit confused when looking at weapon since it seems elemental damage is not included in the displayed dps. I assume that if a weapon has the increased base damage mod that is displayed in the damage and dps, but I can't know for sure.

Turn on advanced tooltips. That makes the abilities show how much damage they deal, as percentages of weapon damage.

• Options
    It's not letting me play. Weak. Every time I resume my game, I get a "Timed Out" error. I checked the issue out on the forum, and they said to flush my DNS. Did that, shit's still timing out, lol. Oh man, I wanna play so bad.

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Squabman wrote: »
    Witchdoctor is the most overpowered class in the beta, by far. Once you use the intel buff skill and get around 100 DPS, everything dies instantly. 5 stacks of the intel buff + a few intel/damage items and a 2 handed 20 dps crafted flamberge and everything else falls down. Firebats do crazy damage although I still prefer grasp of the dead because it has such a long range that you can engage monsters off screen or over long distances, which may come in handy later. Skeleton king dies in seconds.

I still love my monk though. Put a bunch of IAS gear on him and throw 2 single handed weapons and it is a goddamned speed machine.

Also, they need to lengthen the skill switch timer. The fact that I can switch skills during the skeleton king fight doesn't bode well for other boss fights later on. There should be an in combat and out of combat timer, so that if you have been in combat in the last 15 seconds then your timer is longer preventing mid-fight switches. I like the idea that the harder fights require a sacrifice - if you go in with the wrong build you will probably die, instead of being able to run off and do a skill switch.

I will never understand all this hand-wringing over being able to switch skills in combat. It is in absolute terms the most mind-bogglingly trivial thing that has spawned and continues to spawn pages of bizarre concern. You know what the best thing ever is? Levelling up, trying a new skill, and then if it sucks switching back and not having to waste 3-5 minutes of my life going back to town and giving some npc a blowjob for a respec. You know what will be hilarious? People so terrible at the game that they actually try to min/max their skill load-out for each area instead of just using what's comfortable for them. You know what the saddest thing is? All the people who have posted in this thread about it who will not exercise any sort of self-control and self-moderate themselves so they don't just reskill all nimbly-pimbly and will instead ramble and rage at Blizzard until they reintroduce some dumbshit mechanic like the shrines of nephelim (worst patch in the entire beta that I experienced, hands down).

Just play the fucking game (or don't!). If you think on the fly skill-switching is dumb then don't fucking do it. It is exactly that simple. If you play with some nerd who insists on changing for each new area, laugh at them as you clear half of any given level before they finally decide on what constitutes the perfect set up. And don't worry about not being a unique snowflake just because there is no permanence, I guarantee you that most people will just look up what's good and copy it endlessly anyway so you can still make the equivalent of your ridiculous yell barbs and enchant sorceress' and teeth necros and be roughly as unique as the other thousands of people who did the exact same un-omptimal crap.

Too much pointless bitching about systems in this thread, not enough joy over punching a zombie so hard it's entire skeleton flies out of it's neck 30 feet through the air to land into a nearby well or the fact that you can throw jars of god damn spiders at things.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    It's not letting me play. Weak. Every time I resume my game, I get a "Timed Out" error. I checked the issue out on the forum, and they said to flush my DNS. Did that, shit's still timing out, lol. Oh man, I wanna play so bad.

Is this only when you try playing single player? Because I had that issue too, then I decided to try joining a public game and got right in. I played with random people for a while, then left when I had my fill of co-op. Out of curiosity I tried resuming my single player game after that and got right in.

edit: welp, that trick didn't work for me the second time. Alas.

SteevL on
  • Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    So I had a weird thing happen during my play through, did anyone else encounter this?

I played a Monk, and a Wizard joined me in coop. In the catacombs on my way to the Skeleton King, we can across the Templar, who proceeded to converse with "Geralt" and follow around the Wizard up until the very end when he goes back to the town to wait for you. Just before he left he talked to my character. I didn't get the achievement for having him as a follower.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    So I had a weird thing happen during my play through, did anyone else encounter this?

I played a Monk, and a Wizard joined me in coop. In the catacombs on my way to the Skeleton King, we can across the Templar, who proceeded to converse with "Geralt" and follow around the Wizard up until the very end when he goes back to the town to wait for you. Just before he left he talked to my character. I didn't get the achievement for having him as a follower.

You get the achievement when you go back in single player and talk to him in town. When you free him hes just QuestDude, when you go to town and recruit him to follow you he becomes the follower and you get the cheevo. You have to do it in single player, because they don't join you when you're playing coop.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    aerynkelly wrote: »

You get the achievement when you go back in single player and talk to him in town. When you free him hes just QuestDude, when you go to town and recruit him to follow you he becomes the follower and you get the cheevo. You have to do it in single player, because they don't join you when you're playing coop.

gotcha. Will do so now

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Anyone up for a game?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

Skill selection only to one spot :( Why can't I use the spiders AND the poison bolt. Or fire bats and grasping hands. There's few enough skills as it is without arbitrary rules

Go to options -> gameplay -> turn on elective mode. It lets you put stuff where you want

And I'd really like someone to tell me what their point of reference is for "not enough skills". Counting off the talent trees, the diablo 2 sorc had 26 total skills, while the diablo 3 wizard has 25 skills with 5 runes each. Dat's alot of skills

I had no idea you could do this. Thank you SO MUCH.

So just to confirm. If I do this I can, for example, use both the poison dart and the spider pots? Two skills which would otherwise be in the same button and impossible to use together. This would please me greatly!

The game is really great though. I want to play through again to hear what the other heroes say in the dungeons.

Oh, another minor annoyance, is it possible to tell exactly how much damage a spell does and see how much it is affected by different weapons?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Oh, another minor annoyance, is it possible to tell exactly how much damage a spell does and see how much it is affected by different weapons?

Turn on advanced tooltips. The damage on all skills are listed as a percentage of weapon damage.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: double dual wield post.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You can also turn on floating damage numbers in game.

Skill selection only to one spot :( Why can't I use the spiders AND the poison bolt. Or fire bats and grasping hands. There's few enough skills as it is without arbitrary rules

Go to options -> gameplay -> turn on elective mode. It lets you put stuff where you want

And I'd really like someone to tell me what their point of reference is for "not enough skills". Counting off the talent trees, the diablo 2 sorc had 26 total skills, while the diablo 3 wizard has 25 skills with 5 runes each. Dat's alot of skills

So just to confirm. If I do this I can, for example, use both the poison dart and the spider pots? Two skills which would otherwise be in the same button and impossible to use together. This would please me greatly!
    Yesh. Although you're still restricted to six skills maximum.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble connecting to a game? I can log in, but when I start up a game it just times me out after a while.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble connecting to a game? I can log in, but when I start up a game it just times me out after a while.

Just keep trying. That means the single player servers are full and you can't create a new one.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    My tag is Yall#1181 if anyone wants to party up.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Renzo#1801

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    You can also turn on floating damage numbers in game.

Yesh. Although you're still restricted to six skills maximum.

Hurrah!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It grants a 15% attack speed boost and you alternate hands with each swing. This means it's very easy to decrease your overall DPS by putting on a subpar offhand.

If I had to guess what happens with Rapid Fire, it's probably consistent with everything else, so alternating hands for each tick of damage. It would be easy enough to test with a high damage crossbow and a shitty offhand to see if there is a wide spread.

After some testing I can confirm that this is exactly what happens. Rapid shot fires four attacks per activation/tick that it is channeled, and if you are dual wielding hand crossbows the four damage ticks will come from alternating hands.

What about monk? Like, the big hammer attack he has? Is that based on an average of DPS from both weapons, or simply the main hand?

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm not seeing the problem with the Demon Hunter. Hungering Arrow [Piercing] / Rapid Fire, Caltops -- kill everything with style!

e: And I mean, Hungering Arrow is a LOT more fun than either of the two early Wizard primaries.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Whenever I'm in a game with a demon hunter I feel like I'm just a meat shield

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I get the feeling that Hungering Arrow is a little nod to those of us who abused the Guided Arrow piercing bug in D2.

I still haven't forgiven them for taking that away btw!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    there was an error :(

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Watched some videos about difficulty levels and builds and gear and such. I trust 'em that D3 will be awesome. If only I had the time to play it.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Anyone know what the black mushrooms are for? I have collected a couple now. Just curious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone know what the black mushrooms are for? I have collected a couple now. Just curious.

Nothing, theyre just a fun easter egg/reference to Diablo 1. Though it's speculated that it might be used later on to get into whatever the cow level is. But thats purely fan speculation.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't really been able to play the beta much at all. And before I get attacked I know. Blah blah stress test blah blah. It still sucks though that people aren't really getting much time to play it who weren't in the beta this whole time. I just keep getting errors. Now that I can get in and don't get the server full error, I get timed out errors when trying to resume my game.

Oh well. I know I'm buying the game and I don't like investing time into a character that I won't be able to keep anyway. I just feel like I'm wasting my time if I do that.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I miss Matt Uelmen's music.

It's not like the stuff they have here is bad, but it not nearly as distinctive as the score to Diablo 2 or Torchlight. It is also really quiet, at least with the default volume settings.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular

It's not like the stuff they have here is bad, but it not nearly as distinctive as the score to Diablo 2 or Torchlight. It is also really quiet, at least with the default volume settings.

90 mins of Uelmen music in Diablo 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just finished the beta. That Witch Doctor is where it's at. My wife's playing the Monk, and she looks great, too. This game is so much fun. I tried out the Demon Hunter just now, and it doesn't completely float my boat, but I can only get into Public Games right now: when enemies are really tough, and you're really low level, I suppose nothing would really float your boat.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I remember how the Torchlight theme sounded so similar to Diablo's Tristram track. Even comparing them again today, it's obviously not the same track but it's the same mood and feel, and the guitar is played in the same manner. It's like he ripped off his own music for another game in the same genre. I wonder if it was done on purpose to evoke Diablo nostalgia in people who played Torchlight.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Monk will be first up for me, I've decided.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
This discussion has been closed.