Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    So, 3DS price is going up? I guess if you're planning to buy one, better grab one up quick.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Their costs to produce and ship them are going down.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    So, 3DS price is going up? I guess if you're planning to buy one, better grab one up quick.

No. When in the history of forever has this happened?

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

oh you

They're selling the 3DS at a loss right now. When production costs go down, they'll no longer be losing money with every sale.

Edit: lol beaten lots of times

EVOL on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Nonono, what happens with consumer devices that are on the market for a while is that the companies gradually drive down the manufacturing cost over the months and years by streamlining and improving efficiency. That's almost guaranteed to be what's happening. Raising the 3DS price would be suicide.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Despite his troll-baiting, his Xenoblade rant isn't without some merit. If Xenoblade had been released a year or two ago on the HD consoles with a Lost Odyssey sized budget, I think it would have done extremely well. It's very much an all-inclusive sort of RPG - it doesn't do anything horribly innovative but it's like a Greatest Hits collection of good ideas from JRPGs, Western RPGs, and MMORPGs - and that's the kind of game that could end up selling very well with the right marketing. It's a shame that it came out on the Wii - not just because of the visuals (which range from fantastic to mediocre) but more because the Wii is rapidly losing popularity and so it won't find the kind of audience it deserves.

True, but if it had the increased budget/development time to create those art assets in HD, would it have released when it did or would have been delayed even longer, which means more units would need to be sold in order to break even? Even though the art isn't as good as it could be in HD, perhaps the developer is making money on it at this point, where it would have made less from the expense of HD art.

I don't think it would have cost that much more money to make the game look good on an HD system. I've seen comparison shots of Xenoblade on the Wii versus how it looks in high definition and it's obvious that it's the Wii's hardware and not the game's assets that are really holding it back.

Here's what the game looks like on the Wii
    2m2x543.jpg

Here's what the game looks like in high definition. Spoilered for huge.
    dh8s42.jpg

You can't tell me that a game that looks like the second one wouldn't look good enough for the 360 or PS3. They'd probably want to redo the character models but the environments and world would need little to no modifications.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Everyone fucks up every so often. Including Nintendo. I don't think they just pulled that $250 out of their ass, so dropping it by almost a third wayyy earlier than they've done with other handhelds (as far as I can tell) probably didn't do them any favors, but it was the best option at the time, I suppose.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Oh and back to the other topic, it's great how keeping your expenses low means that you can find a great deal of success from fewer sales and at a lower price point to boot. For example, with Cthulhu Saves the World selling at the low price of $3 on Steam, all we needed to do was sell like 100,000 copies to "break even" (aka get a decent salary for an equivalent period of time to how long it took to make) and we've done far better than that by now.

You mean your game didn't cost millions of dollars to make? Amazing! You must not know what you are doing because you should have spent million before you even pitched.

Sarcasm aside, regarding the blog as I'm not trying to antagonize any posters, the reason these games aren't being picked up by publishers is because they are low budget, niche titles. The big publishers don't want to spend a couple million dollars to fund a game that may make a little money on the PC. They want to spend millions to make gigantic console "AAA" titles.

Recently I've been having fun with Kalypso titles specifically because many are a throwback to the 90's/00's. So for me tossing in 15 to 50 dollars on a Kickstarter is not a big deal.

Also, we have read that many of these publisher deals are ones where the publisher pays the developer a set fee and then takes all the money from the units sold. With Kickstarter the funding is handed over by us and then all units sold go to the developer. Yes some of these might fail but these developers have a whole freaking lot of motivation to make sure they finish the projects.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Considering that this is Nintendo's first recorded loss, and that there are companies that have been operating in the red for years without collapsing, I think they can take the hit for a year without it so much as putting anything more than a small dent in their reserves.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    come next generation, will graphics be such a huge deal

Just like when we had the conversation last week, and the week before, and every week before that, graphics will continue to matter in video games.

Let's put that shit to rest.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Everyone fucks up every so often. Including Nintendo. I don't think they just pulled that $250 out of their ass, so dropping it by almost a third wayyy earlier than they've done with other handhelds (as far as I can tell) probably didn't do them any favors, but it was the best option at the time, I suppose.

I'll have to agree there... hitting the price button so quickly helped keep the system from being pegged as "oh, that's the expensive one, no thanks" for the long term. And increasing the install base helps increase the pool of people buying games that generate license fees.

Though remember, Iwata pretty much directly said Nintendo priced it at $250 because they thought people would pay for it, thanks to the glasses-free 3D. It turns out they didn't.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'll have to agree there... hitting the price button so quickly helped keep the system from being pegged as "oh, that's the expensive one, no thanks" for the long term. And increasing the install base helps increase the pool of people buying games that generate license fees.

Though remember, Iwata pretty much directly said Nintendo priced it at $250 because they thought people would pay for it, thanks to the glasses-free 3D. It turns out they didn't.

I remember people drooling at this forums over the premise of glasses-free 3D. Apparently, it didn't last.

It was the choice between two awkward, even bad decisions: ride it out and stick by your guns and take a loss from no one buying it, or admit you were stupid for a moment, swallow your pride, and take a loss from more people buying it at substantially lower price. The later option gives you a larger install base and a smaller profit loss (potentially), all at the cost of admitted you pulled a Sony. The first option? "But it's TOTALLY WORTH IT! BELIEVE ME!"

We forget that Nintendo's not perfect. They do fuck up. I think they made the right call.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Considering that this is Nintendo's first recorded loss, and that there are companies that have been operating in the red for years without collapsing, I think they can take the hit for a year without it so much as putting anything more than a small dent in their reserves.

Ayup.
    Nintendo has £6.7 ($10.5) billion in the bank and, even if making big losses every year, that considerable nest egg would keep the company going until 2052. That's, like, 40 years away.

This is an article from two months ago. That would mean they still have, uh, a huge amount of money in their war chest.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

Btw the articles that are telling Nintendo to jump to iOS development are already popping up lol

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Speaking of Nintendo, their actual results came in.
    Nintendo further clarified that by the middle of its current fiscal year (approx. August 2012), the 3DS will no longer be sold below cost.

It seemed like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, or committing seppuku. :winky:

So in a year, productions costs have streamlined enough to cover the $80 drop in price. That's pretty streamy. It would have been good news for Sony!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I have only one problem saying that its a shame that various wii games aren't in HD and starting the article with Xenoblade.

I'm not entirely sure XB is possible in HD on the current gen consoles. I think they'd choke on it something fierce.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Wait, did nobody post the link about how it is selling at a loss? Read it in Joystiq or Kotaku this morning. I'd post but on my phone about to go to work.

Nintendo knows that if the 3DS is popular that they will be able to sell revisions later without dropping, or even rising, the price for those models. They showed why it is great to still have a video game only company making hardware. Nintendo can react quicker and doesn't have losses/profits from other departments to consider, among other benefits.

• Options
    A little humility will do them good.

Especially when it comes at a very minor loss, overall, to their bottom line.

• Options
    FYI, remember the Xperia Play? That smartphone that came out 11 months ago, had PlayStation buttons on it and the promise of awesome PlayStation stuff that never materialized?

It's now being given away for free by Verizon. Granted, price drops happen relatively quickly in the cell phone world, but to go from $250 to free in less than a year is pretty damn bad.

In the meantime we've had exactly zero other smartphones with console-like controls come out, so it looks like that dream is dead for the time being.

• Options
    I've seen ads for it at FIFA games.

For some reason, I was convinced it was doing better outside the United States than in it.

Maybe Sony just fucked up.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    FYI, remember the Xperia Play? That smartphone that came out 11 months ago, had PlayStation buttons on it and the promise of awesome PlayStation stuff that never materialized?

It's now being given away for free by Verizon. Granted, price drops happen relatively quickly in the cell phone world, but to go from $250 to free in less than a year is pretty damn bad.

In the meantime we've had exactly zero other smartphones with console-like controls come out, so it looks like that dream is dead for the time being.

Whut? I got my Galaxy Note on what is essentially a £25-a-month contract, and paid no extra for it. I presume that's what you mean by 'for free by Verizon', right? In which case, if this has only just happened a year after it went on sale, that seems pretty good. Now the fact that it doesn't seem to be everywhere and, correct, no-one else has copied it, those seem to indicate that it's not been a huge success. But if it's like I described, giving it away on a contract is no indicator of low interest.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It seemed like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, or committing seppuku. :winky:

Iwata is currently cutting his own finger off to appease Yamauchi as we speak.

That machine always confused me. Does it play Android games or something? Or at least play PSX ports? I never really saw the market for it.

EVOL on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    EVOL wrote: »

That machine always confused me. Does it play Android games or something?

I have one. I love it. The controller makes my Smart phone capable of playing a wide variety of a games.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    darleysam wrote: »

Whut? I got my Galaxy Note on what is essentially a £25-a-month contract, and paid no extra for it. I presume that's what you mean by 'for free by Verizon', right? In which case, if this has only just happened a year after it went on sale, that seems pretty good. Now the fact that it doesn't seem to be everywhere and, correct, no-one else has copied it, those seem to indicate that it's not been a huge success. But if it's like I described, giving it away on a contract is no indicator of low interest.

Frankly I don't think the Galaxy Note is doing great either.

Edit: Woops, I might be wrong.

http://androinica.com/2012/03/samsung-galaxy-note-sales-hit-5-million-in-just-5-months/

Then again those are those pesky "shipped" figures, not sold.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    True--I think Sony was just hoping the Xperia would be unique enough to warrant a paying price even with a two-year contract.

• Options
    I have only one problem saying that its a shame that various wii games aren't in HD and starting the article with Xenoblade.

I'm not entirely sure XB is possible in HD on the current gen consoles. I think they'd choke on it something fierce.

Why do you say that? Simply taking the Wii game and just doing simple upscaling would probably result in graphics on par with most of the JRPGs on the 360 & PS3, I think. And if the Wii could handle the game's huge areas just fine with its miniscule amount of RAM, the PS3 & 360 shouldn't have any problem with their slightly less miniscule amounts of RAM.

Anyway, the point isn't just "Ooh, I wish this game was in HD" although that would be nice. The game came out in Japan mid-2010. If they had done a prompt localization (which shouldn't be hard for a company with Nintendo's resources), they could have released it in the US in time for Christmas 2010, right when the Wii was at its strongest. Throw in a good marketing campaign and the game could have been a huge hit. As it is, I imagine Nintendo will at least break even on the release but it's disappointing because it could have done so much better.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Frankly I don't think the Galaxy Note is doing great either.

Edit: Woops, I might be wrong.

http://androinica.com/2012/03/samsung-galaxy-note-sales-hit-5-million-in-just-5-months/

Then again those are those pesky "shipped" figures, not sold.

I'm pretty sure I could do the same with a Nexus. Here in the UK, at least, you can get most phones free on a contract just a few months after launch.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Looks like Nexon made a bid for EA.

Looks like the next Battlefield game will indeed have pay-to-reload gameplay.

I hope they let me work on the next Maple Story.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular

• Options
    Granted, the UK might be different. Though another look at the Verizon smartphone offering site shows very few phones that are offered for free and are less than a year old.

At any rate. Remember Friendster? It's mutated into a gaming site.

friendster.png
    Friendster officially announces its transformation into a social discovery and gaming platform in Asia.

The new Friendster, which was in beta stage since the middle of last year, features Asia-centric contents with gaming dominantly define its user experience. The site now delivers distinct approach to discover new games of multiple genres via a brand new user interface, in addition to making new friends and engaging with old ones.

Key notable features include:

Completely revamped user interface and experience,
    Friendster Chat App for users to chat with friends while playing games,
    Over 50 online games from eight different genre like role-playing, strategy, simulations and card games (and expected to exceed 120 games by end of this year),
    Rewards system that allows users to earn points for every activity on Friendster, including adding friends, engaging with friends, daily log-in, and playing game, and
    Simple, easy-to-obtain virtual currency that can be used to purchase virtual goods, online games, and applications in a secure social web environment.

Globally, Friendster has over 100 million registered users. Currently, more than 50% of its active users are from the Asian region. The top four highest traffic comes from Philippines (13.27%), India (13.26%), Indonesia (11.79%), and Malaysia (11.28%).

In 2002, the world was introduced to the first iteration of a modern-day social network. Then, Friendster was one of the pioneering companies that sparked the Web 2.0 movement, where users share photos, videos, updates, and connect with one another online. In 2009, Friendster was acquired by Asia’s leading e-payment provider, MOL Global in deal valued at $39.5 million.

Ganesh Kumar Bangah, CEO of MOL“Friendster pioneered the social networking industry and paved the way for the emergence of other sites. As the global gaming communities grew, it was essential for Friendster to find its unique proposition in order to remain competitive,” said Ganesh Kumar Bangah, Chief Executive Officer of MOL Group.

“By leveraging on Friendster’s strongest asset in the form of its millions of users and harnessing MOL’s strength as a e-payments and content distributer, we were able to successfully redesign Friendster to become a social discovery and gaming platform, host to the largest online community in Southeast Asia,” he continues.

The growth potential of online gaming in Asia is huge. According to the latest estimate by Ovum, total online gamers in Asia will exceed 1 billion with industry valuing $30.3 billion by 2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/limyunghui/2012/04/25/friendster-is-the-largest-online-gaming-platform-in-southeast-asia/

• Options

Holy poop.

And yes, Nexon is pretty much purely a free-to-play company.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Holy poop.

Everybody hates them and their games here in Korea, yet everybody still plays their games. I don't get it.

I saw a few of my friends pour shit loads of money into Maple Story. There's some kind of gambling system in it, which is apparently very addicting and money-consuming. The government said that they're cracking down on that soon though.

The way they keep people playing the game is pretty ingenious in a way. Basically, they introduce a game-breakingly overpowered new class while nerfing the shit out of previous classes. So, people make a new character for said new class and continue to grind while spending shitloads of money on micro-transitions. Wash, rinse, repeat.

EVOL on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular

Holy poop.

Nexon is pretty good in the East. Nexon America is a glorified translator company. Vindictus for example, the content in Japan's version is vastly larger. They slowly trickle in updates to the US version.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Holy poop.

Everybody hates them and their games here in Korea, yet everybody still plays their games. I don't get it.

I saw a few of my friends pour shit loads of money into Maple Story. There's some kind of gambling system in it, which is apparently very addicting and time-consuming. The government said that they're cracking down on that soon though.

The way they keep people playing the game is pretty ingenious in a way. Basically, they introduce a game-breakingly overpowered new class while nerfing the shit out of previous classes. So, people make a new character for said new class and continue to grind while spending shitloads of money on micro-transitions. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Makes sense for them to bid on EA.

Everybody hates them and their games here in America, yet everybody still playes their games. I don't get it.

:P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I know Nexon is huge, but it's just mind-boggling trying to wrap my mind around the concept of Nexon potentially buying out Electronic Arts. It's like Bi-Lo buying out Wal-Mart in my mind.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular

That machine always confused me. Does it play Android games or something? Or at least play PSX ports? I never really saw the market for it.

That's the thing. I and many people like me would have been in the market for it if it were a compromise between its current iteration and the Playstation Vita. You give me a smart phone that can offer at least PSP-like game play and a solid OS, and I will buy it. I want neither a space age jack-of-all trades gaming machine nor a hobbled game phone. If you can marry the two, I think you'd have a much more fertile market including everyone who loves the functionality of an iPhone but finds its potential as a gaming device unappealing.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I know Nexon is huge, but it's just mind-boggling trying to wrap my mind around the concept of Nexon potentially buying out Electronic Arts. It's like Bi-Lo buying out Wal-Mart in my mind.

Yeah, my first thought when seeing the news was "Like, they want to buy all of it?"

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    They've got 10+, maybe even more, games with cash shops.

I should know, I've spent money on the Mabinogi cash shop. Though it's certainly not to the same extent as I've seen other people spend money on the game, I usually just buy the permanent mounts and pets for storage.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    F2P with micro-transitions really seems to be the way to go for MMOs. Nexon is a living breathing example. I also remember LoTR online's revenue tripling when it went F2P. I think Hellgate or WH or whatever had the same insane increase in profit when they made the transition to F2P too.

EVOL on
  • Options
    If you thought EA was evil now, just wait for when it's controlled by their free-to-play Asian overlords.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    F2P is actually a pretty good business model, on certain types of products. Tribes: Ascend, despite being free, convinced me to drop 20$ on gold points because it gave me a permanent 50% XP boost, and this way I have a pool of 'points' to draw from when I feel like getting something a little quicker. And they did this by making the game an absolute blast to play.

The problem, of course, is that F2P is a lot more difficult to apply when it comes to traditional single-player experiences. I don't know how you'd go about doing it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.