Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The fact that apparently Monster Hunter is a core global title better mean an NA release.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea how digital games are usually priced but is it unusual to collude with retailers to set the prices? Seems like a pretty good way to avoid some of the problems traditional video game machines (*cough* PSP Go) have with retailers when they are offering digital downloads. Then again it's also a sad sign that Nintendo probably won't be offering many sales on digital stuff.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So will offer full game dowload to 3ds in Aug, sony introduced that 2yrs ago and Apple how many years ago?

Wow that's soon!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Well, I think it's an olive branch to brick and mortar stores more than anything. Microsoft and Sony appear poised to go the full mile to ditch traditional stores entirely at some point. It would appear to me that Nintendo is choosing to do this because they see it as a strategic move to fill the hole MS and Sony would leave in the market by going purely digital, and there might just be something in it for them.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    The fact that Nintendo considers Monster Hunter a core global title better mean an NA announcement soon.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Well, I think it's an olive branch to brick and mortar stores more than anything. Microsoft and Sony appear poised to go the full mile to ditch traditional stores entirely at some point. It would appear to me that Nintendo is choosing to do this because they see it as a strategic move to fill the hole MS and Sony would leave in the market by going purely digital, and there might just be something in it for them.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea in terms of not burning bridges. I know you can buy some digital stuff at GameStop now, but how much do they sell there? I thought PSP Go stuff was supposed to be available there but I never hear about that...

Edit:
    Have learnt lesson of 3ds launch, as a result WiiU will have very rich line-up from the beginning, a few rich titles

Good. Kind of expected, but still good that they are going to be ready there.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    USA Has More Than One-Third Of Video Game Market Share
    According to a NeoGAF compilation of worldwide market revenues in 2011, the United States has a market share of 37.12% in the video game industry. This includes hardware and software for both home consoles and handhelds, accessories, and other video game-related expenditures like subscriptions.

On average, each person in the US spends $78.14, which is plenty enough for a population above 300 million people. Per person, South Korea takes the lead, spending an average of $167.75. United Kingdom, Belgium, Japan, France, Canada, and Australia are also big spenders China doesn't spend a lot per person but with their population, they spend more money than Japan in total revenue.

There is a table breaking down each country in the link. I had it here but it formatted terribly.

Rumor: Metroid Wii U To Run On Unreal Engine 3
    I don't know about you, but I'm approaching Nintendo's Wii U with cautious pessimism optimism. We know that the console's core first party titles will be great, but will the new hardware really be able to compete against the upcoming wave of next-gen systems? Probably not, but if they've got Retro Studios making an HD title set in the Metroid universe that looks anything like the Mass Effect 2/Unreal Tournament III mod, I'm sold.

That is why the latest rumor that comes from French gaming site Nintendotown has me giddy like a little schoolgirl. Based on what we can understand from the translation, it looks like the next Metroid title is currently in development for the Wii U and will run on Epic's Unreal Engine 3. Additionally, a tech demo of the game was reportedly shown by Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios.

Alongside this rumor, two other interesting bits of information were provided, including the fact that Nintendo is planning to really push online multimedia content for the Wii U, as well as integrating the console's operating system with that of the Android OS. Sounds a bit farfetched, I know.

Fortunately we've only got another month or so left until we find out exactly what the Big N is planning.

If that is the case that would be awesome, although seeing Retro work on other things would be nice too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Call me extremely skeptical on the Metroid one. Metroid: Other M was a horrible bomb for them. I think that's one of the few 1st party titles (or at least major franchise titles) I've actually seen them heavily mark down quickly after release. I'm not sure they would be ready to jump on the Metroid bandwagon so quickly. But then, Retro does have a proven track record for the franchise and it's not like it sells for shit in Japan anyways, so maybe they're adopting a "let the Americans design a game for Americans" stance? (i.e. DKC Returns style)

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Here we go...
    "It will have to come bursting out of a box with a lot of fireworks if it is going to make an impact."

"They always have a 'break glass in case of emergency' option. They could always make games for other consoles. If they started to make Zelda games for the PS3 and Mario games for the Xbox that would keep them in business for the next 30 years."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/nintendo-still-a-lot-to-play-for-7682407.html

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    skeldare wrote: »
    It's been said before but Apple really needs to review their approval system. Behold a blatent Hero Academy ripoff.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knights-fight/id507910444?mt=8
    What the fuck is the excuse for this? It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to see developers rise up and sue Apple for being fucking incompetent as fuck with their approval system.

One of the preview images is literally a Hero Academy preview image. It even fucking says "Hero Academy" on it." This thing released three fucking weeks ago.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Using Unreal Engine 3 is a good thing? I suppose it makes development and porting (non-factor in this case) easier but I never really understood what exactly makes it so amazing.

That said false rumour is false.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Call me extremely skeptical on the Metroid one. Metroid: Other M was a horrible bomb for them. I think that's one of the few 1st party titles (or at least major franchise titles) I've actually seen them heavily mark down quickly after release. I'm not sure they would be ready to jump on the Metroid bandwagon so quickly. But then, Retro does have a proven track record for the franchise and it's not like it sells for shit in Japan anyways, so maybe they're adopting a "let the Americans design a game for Americans" stance? (i.e. DKC Returns style)

Just because Other M was "bad" does not make all future Metroid games "bad". Especially if it's Retro.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Metroid Other M was terrible because it didn't get across the great gameplay of the prime trilogy and hammered in a completely awful, misogynistic narrative which highly diminished samus as a character. As someone who hated Other M with a passion, if Nintendo said "Retro are doing another Metroid Prime game based on the Unreal Engine" my response is simple: TAKE MY GODDAMN MONEY.

This is the kind of game that would sell me a Wii U. I LOVED the Metroid Prime trilogy of games and I love Retro sudios. A single horrible game doesn't change that and I suspect a return to a great Metroid game would do them a lot of good.

Edit: Other M wasn't even developed by Retro anyway.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm looking at the sideshow and text on Nintendo's site, but I'm only seeing Monster Hunter referenced as an evergreen title in Japan. I'm probably missing it, but where was the mention of international release? I only ask because its sandwiched between titles they specifically mention about doing well and promoting in other countries, but the MH sentence seems to stand out by not having the same kind of wording.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Just because Other M was "bad" does not make all future Metroid games "bad". Especially if it's Retro.

After the Metroid franchise failed to sell well in Japan there was a gap of 8 years between games. I'm not saying Metroid: Other M makes other Metroid games bad. I'm saying it's a huge red flag for Nintendo that maybe the series isn't popular anymore. It's up to Nintendo to see the reasons it sold so poorly, but that doesn't mean they will. Or even if they do, they may question whether fans would be willing to buy another Metroid game so soon after they were recently "duped" by Other M.

To put it another way - after playing Final Fantasy XIII (or even XIV), are you excited for Final Fantasy XV?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The same set of rumors from that site says WiiU is going to run on Android and/or support the Android app store.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I think that Retro has near Valve levels of credibility in the minds of Nintendo fans. Simply saying that they're developing the title is sure to get a lot of people on board.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Using Unreal Engine 3 is a good thing? I suppose it makes development and porting (non-factor in this case) easier but I never really understood what exactly makes it so amazing.

That said false rumour is false.

Mostly excitement that a Nintendo console can now run a super shiny next gen big boy engine, I think. All that ache-dee graphics and all.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Nintendo has for the longest time created internal engines for use with their own machines that they've altered slightly to suit whichever games they've been wanting to work on. I doubt another Metroid game would be any different, though all of the Prime games did have a purpose-built engine.

UE3, though? Well, the machine should have no problem whatsoever running it, it's just not ideal if they want to take advantage of the full power of the unit. There have been some whisperings in the willows of fixed function shaders, something most proprietary engines would need quite a bit of tinkering with to take advantage of.

Even if it is UE3 or some newer version thereof, I'd still say the engine would be chopped to bits and reassembled into a frankenengine almost totally unlike anything else out there.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I think that Retro has near Valve levels of credibility in the minds of Nintendo fans. Simply saying that they're developing the title is sure to get a lot of people on board.

True. About the only two ways I can see of them pulling off another Metroid so soon is either have Retro do it (and advertise the shit out of this fact like they did with DKCR), or make it 2d. Both are very good choices IMO :)

But basically, they need to run as far away as they can from anything that even remotely resembles Other M if they want to sell.

• Options

This! I would buy anything by Retro.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    You don't have to be a Nintendo fan, do you? I thought it was obvious that they do great things, having revitalized two of Nintendo's core franchises. The same way you don't have to be a Valve or Apple fan to appreciate what the company does, just on the basis of the following they inspire.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm hoping that the other core franchise that they revitalized re-returns again soon.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Nintendo has for the longest time created internal engines for use with their own machines that they've altered slightly to suit whichever games they've been wanting to work on. I doubt another Metroid game would be any different, though all of the Prime games did have a purpose-built engine.

UE3, though? Well, the machine should have no problem whatsoever running it, it's just not ideal if they want to take advantage of the full power of the unit. There have been some whisperings in the willows of fixed function shaders, something most proprietary engines would need quite a bit of tinkering with to take advantage of.

Even if it is UE3 or some newer version thereof, I'd still say the engine would be chopped to bits and reassembled into a frankenengine almost totally unlike anything else out there.

Metroid Prime ran on a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine, so anything's possible.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I would have liked Other M and pushed through the awful Freudian story if the overall map and environment weren't pure garbage. I thought Other M's mixing of the 2d game's action feel with Prime's gunplay was brilliant. I still think the combat was brilliant. But I got stuck at one wall too many. If it wasn't a wall than I was going in circles for far too long.

Making it the first Metroid game I didn't finish. I would love nothing more than to see Retro execute the same thing.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cantido wrote: »
    I would have liked Other M and pushed through the awful story if the overall map and environment weren't pure garbage. I thought Other M's mixing of the 2d game's action feel with Prime's gunplay was brilliant. I still think the combat was brilliant. But I got stuck at one wall too many. If it wasn't a wall than I was going in circles for far too long.

Making it the first Metroid game I didn't finish. I would love nothing more than to see Retro execute the same thing.

Really? I wasn't a fan of the gameplay myself. Auto-aim shooting is boring, and no health pickups so you can only heal by performing a goofy move when you are nearly dead? Ugg... Don't get me started on the ridiculous "ninja moves" :P

One of these days I should suffer through the game and just beat it though.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I would have liked Other M and pushed through the awful story if the overall map and environment weren't pure garbage. I thought Other M's mixing of the 2d game's action feel with Prime's gunplay was brilliant. I still think the combat was brilliant. But I got stuck at one wall too many. If it wasn't a wall than I was going in circles for far too long.

Really? I wasn't a fan of the gameplay myself. Auto-aim shooting is boring, and no health pickups so you can only heal by performing a goofy move when you are nearly dead? Ugg...

It felt like exactly what I wanted, and what the trailer made it look like, which was Super Metroid in 3d. Other M Samus can move around fast and shoot fast, which is a sharp contrast to Prime's "Link with a Gun" combat (though Prime 3 resolved this.) The 2-D metroid games are fast, and Other M captures 2d Samus's speed. It was not without flaws though, and yes the health thing was one of them.

But all that speed meant jack shit every time I was stuck at some bullshit wall with a nav beacon somewhere behind it, or running around in circles not knowing what the fuck to do. The map killed it for me.

Also, Sakamoto needs to get laid/married/divorced, whatever yields the most interaction with the opposite sex, because he must think they're all obsessed with babies.

Cantido on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    USA Has More Than One-Third Of Video Game Market Share
    According to a NeoGAF compilation of worldwide market revenues in 2011, the United States has a market share of 37.12% in the video game industry. This includes hardware and software for both home consoles and handhelds, accessories, and other video game-related expenditures like subscriptions.

On average, each person in the US spends $78.14, which is plenty enough for a population above 300 million people. Per person, South Korea takes the lead, spending an average of $167.75. United Kingdom, Belgium, Japan, France, Canada, and Australia are also big spenders China doesn't spend a lot per person but with their population, they spend more money than Japan in total revenue.

There is a table breaking down each country in the link. I had it here but it formatted terribly.

Interesting data.

Most surprising fact:
    Germany is the biggest PC-gaming market. 620M vs USA:s 440M

Europes combined total is about 25%

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, good news for Mike Z: Skullgirls sells 50,000+ copies. I don't know how many were on PSN and XBLA, but this is fantastic. On May 2 it will come out in Europe, and later a PC version will come out.

There was a fantastic article on Reverge Labs and Autumn Games symbiotic relationship, but I'm not really finding much on how much Konami was a part of it's release, other than Michiru Yamane being on board. Congratulations to Mike Z and Alex Ahad, for making a virtually Salt-free fighting game.

• Options
    I would have liked Other M and pushed through the awful Freudian story if the overall map and environment weren't pure garbage. I thought Other M's mixing of the 2d game's action feel with Prime's gunplay was brilliant. I still think the combat was brilliant. But I got stuck at one wall too many. If it wasn't a wall than I was going in circles for far too long.

Obligitory I loved Other M, even with it's faults. I even enjoyed the corny story and Anthony was an awesome addition to the cast that needs to reappear in another game.

But as for the investors meeting...I guess that listing of NSMB2 as an e-shop title wasn't a mistake like many thought it was. Nintendo going full hog on digital downloads...nice. Personally I'll still buy everything in physical form, but nice to see that they are serious about getting modern on their onine implementation.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    You don't have to be a Nintendo fan, do you? I thought it was obvious that they do great things, having revitalized two of Nintendo's core franchises. The same way you don't have to be a Valve or Apple fan to appreciate what the company does, just on the basis of the following they inspire.

I was trying not to be too presumptuous with that statement, but yeah, they really are that credible.

• Options
    Also mentioned at the investor's meeting. Retail titles being available digitally will be available at the WiiU launch.

Nintendo doesn't seem to be messing around at all this time. I hope this keeps up.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Nintendo going full hog on digital downloads...nice.

Not really...I mean, yeah, they're starting to do it, but it still sounds more like testing the waters. One of the tweets:
    Won't go all digital as it doesn't suit all users, want win-win relationship with retailers.

The obvious meaning of this is that they won't drop retail discs/cards, but it could also mean they won't offer all games digitally either (some of their future games won't even see a digital release). We won't know for sure until an english summary is released, as has been in the past.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't know about you, but I'm approaching Nintendo's Wii U with cautious pessimism optimism. We know that the console's core first party titles will be great, but will the new hardware really be able to compete against the upcoming wave of next-gen systems? Probably not, but if they've got Retro Studios making an HD title set in the Metroid universe that looks anything like the Mass Effect 2/Unreal Tournament III mod, I'm sold.

That is why the latest rumor that comes from French gaming site Nintendotown has me giddy like a little schoolgirl. Based on what we can understand from the translation, it looks like the next Metroid title is currently in development for the Wii U and will run on Epic's Unreal Engine 3. Additionally, a tech demo of the game was reportedly shown by Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios.

Alongside this rumor, two other interesting bits of information were provided, including the fact that Nintendo is planning to really push online multimedia content for the Wii U, as well as integrating the console's operating system with that of the Android OS. Sounds a bit farfetched, I know.

Fortunately we've only got another month or so left until we find out exactly what the Big N is planning.

If that is the case that would be awesome, although seeing Retro work on other things would be nice too.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

Don't you dare judge me.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

• Options
    Oh wait actually it's right here.

I find this amusing, though of course it's not the same thing at all, just chuckle-worthy:
    Iwata wrote:
    Nintendo has never conducted and will never conduct what is now widely known (in Japan) as a “gacha-type charging business” (capsule toy vending machine business), which asks consumers to pay money without knowing what kind of item shall emerge as a result of their payment, even if such a business model might temporarily yield high profitability.

News just emerging today:
    Remember all those "mystery toy" lines in the 90s, where you'd buy unknown capsules that would sometimes dissolve in water? Many toy manufactures are still making them actually, preying on our child-like sense of curiosity -- now, Nintendo seems to be in on the fun. Starting today, Club Nintendo members can now grab "Surprise Me Boxes" for 300 coins apiece. It looks like they're already sold out, but keep the page bookmarked in case they restock.

:P

• Options

Metroid Prime ran on a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine, so anything's possible.

Where'd you read that?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well as someone who plays Dungeon Fighter Online, I've got things to say about Nexon.

Their system of micro-transactions is one of the examples I would point to and say "Well see, that's probably a good way to handle it." You don't NEED anything from the shop to progress in DFO. They're a little savvy with regard to how they manage that. The avatar items you can buy to customize your character are also handled in a pretty unique way; there's three different price ranges for avatars, two lasting a period of time and the last permanent. It lets people invest in something but not have to pay the absolute top dollar if they know they're not sticking with the game for more than a couple months.

Despite that though, DFO devolves into one of the most grinding MMOs I've ever played. But at the same time, the difficulty starts to scale up in the higher levels, really enforcing the idea of playing with multiple people. I can't decide if its genius or shit design.

So, I dunno. Them investing in EA, that doesn't bother me. The jokes about "Tiger Woods, pay per stroke, lolz" are fucking unfounded as far as I'm concerned. That's not the kind of micro-transaction system they run. The way I see it, Nexon having a say in EA's business plans would actually turn EA around from appearing to be an absolute corrupt evil piece of shit.

Edit - OH! One more positive note about Nexon - their development schedule is relatively very kind to the North American region. While they develop first for Korea, obviously, their NA branch is one year behind Korea on a very steady and constant basis. Compared to other companies like Gravity who are behind in other regions by like, three years, that's pretty fucking good. They're also pretty good about their localization skill too. So the company is competent in game making.

Take your reasonable prediction and explanations and shove it!

Ow ow ow it hurts D:

In other response news,

OMFG DO WANT.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Where'd you read that?

Looked it up, did not know that.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457673
    Wait, that's saying it's been debunked. Well that's where the rumor starts and ends to take a look at it.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Where'd you read that?

Not 100% confirmed, but it's pretty likely

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/04/metroid-prime-ran-on-unreal-engine-2/
    It has been revealed by a poster over at the Assembler Games forums that the fantastic Metroid Prime for the Gamecube ran on Epic’s Unreal Engine 2. Apparently the game that was developed by Retro Studios ran on a very heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 2.
    Metroid Prime runs on a very heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 2. You can certify this to yourself by looking at the text box next to Asset_CMDL_EditorModel. Notice the word “/cooked/” in there.

For those of you who have worked with the Unreal Engine, you’ll know what this is, else, you might wanna read. Cooking is a term for compiling all of the maps, scripts, materials, etc. you’ve made into one usable executable, or “game”. It was used primarily for consoles, although now support has come out for PC cooking, resulting in faster loading times.

They also used Unreal’s level streaming feature. This is highly detailed in Unreal Engine 3, but was also present in 2. It’s funny how Retro got a private license for this stuff yet never sought to bring it out.

I also can confirm some UnrealScript source files exist on disk, which I am attempting to extract. Will probably branch this off into a separate thread for loads of fun and wackiness.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Doesn't Epic have some sort of clause that requires you to slap an Unreal Engine logo on your game when it starts up?

This discussion has been closed.