As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Dragon Slayers: OOC Thread

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Aegis will recognize Amon'Kul as a tiefling version of my Forge of the Dawn Titan fighter, Bjorn.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    It looks like you've got a group of 5 but if you need to swap someone let me know, I can whip up a few optimizers.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nullzone wrote: »
    It looks like you've got a group of 5 but if you need to swap someone let me know, I can whip up a few optimizers.

I think a few people are still due to submit, so there'll be more than 5 anyway. Post em, I say.

Grog on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yea, these are open submissions that you're picking from, no? The more the merrier.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Alright, here's some ideas. I'm getting a bit feverish so I can't get backgrounds worked up right now, but the Backgrounds and general character design is spoilered below.

Erik, Human Artificer|Warlord
    Born into a family of soldiers, Erik was a bit of an oddball; he was more interested in tinkering with his practice weapons than actually practicing with them. He kept up with his studies well enough, but if he had any interest in martial service, he never showed it.

When he went off in his twenties to apprentice with a wizard, his father was...annoyed, to say the least. Erik was meant to join the garrison, just as his father had, and his grandfather before that. Of course, Erik's martial training got him into trouble as much as it saved him from it, and after a year in the wizard's service he found himself back on his own, armed with newfound arcane knowledge and skill.

Erik was enough of a thinker that he figured that his teachings were not mutually exclusive; he set out to combine the arcane mutterings of his wizard master with his childhood training. Combined with his penchant for creating unusual gadgets, people quickly learned not to cross this strange traveler as he wandered the land in search of new ways to test his ideas.

When word came down that a benefactor was searching for a team to hunt dragons, Erik leaped at the chance to gather some dragon parts for his newest ideas.

Mechanical: Party goes first, he sets up the strikers, party beats face. If necessary, he's fairly proficient with his own attacks and can hold his own in a fight.

Forge, Warforged Weaponmaster (PHB Fighter)
    I had a whole story for this one that was essentially a subtle reference to Mordenkainen encountering this warforged death machine and turning it into a protector sent by M himself to help in the dragon hunt. I lost it. :(

Mechanical: Get up in team bad guy's grill, make them hurt, and last long enough to see it through. Enemies regret violating his mark. A lot.

Kemper, Human Monk
    tl;dr- Drunken boxer, wanders from inn to inn getting hammered. Lost a bet and now has to go fight dragons.

(I tried to write this up as a longer background but it quickly spiraled into 4+ paragraphs, so omitted)

Mechanical: Gets in the thick of things, dares team bad guy to hit him, team bad guy fails miserably and he retaliates for it. By level 16, this build has effective defenses in the mid-30s to 40ish range (depending on certain variables/powers in play).

Leucis, Tiefling Bard|Warlord
    Lords himself as both prettier and smarter than everyone else. A master tactician as a result, but finds menial tasks such as "attacking" beneath him. Intends to fight dragons (or at least take all the credit) for the riches and the fame.

Mechanical: Lazy, but remarkably effective. Sets up the strikers to do their thing and can toss around some decent heals as well as pull friendlies out of danger. Also more lulz for the party full of Tieflings.

Adeya, Githzerai Hunter
    Adeya was born with a strong attunement to the beings of the elemental plane; peculiar, even for her people. She spoke frequently to lesser elementals, even at the protesting of her family and peers.

As a young scholar/treasure hunter, she was overzealous in her search and ended up crossing a particularly nasty red dragon. Just as he was about to roast her, one of her old fire elemental friends showed up and saved her bacon. The elemental managed to absorb the brunt of the dragon's assault, but at great cost; only a small fraction of its essence remained. Adeya took this essence into herself, where it took on new fire, and utterly destroyed the dragon in retaliation. She then swore to hunt dragons until they trembled at the very mention of her name.

Naturally, a dragonhunt was right up her alley.

Mechanical: Controller/striker; has next to no nova capabilities, but DPR is steady, and she is accurate and can provide sustained control every round.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I changed Amon'Kul's paragon path to Dreadnought to more accurately reflect the vision of him that has developed as I was working on his background.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I've been watching this thread with a longing heart while I finished up some master's thesis nonsense, but I actually have time to really think about this and it's before the 11th, yay.

I'm considering some kind of ranged striker, possibly a Fire Blaster Wizard, which amusingly could be well served by going Tiefling - but will probably go Genasi, lol =P I'll figure it out sometime tonight and post it.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It does look like their is a dearth of ranged striker aps - I thought about making one but I couldnt really figure out one I was happy with.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have other ideas swirling around in my head, but I wasn't sure if we were limited to one submission per person or not.

A Controller-y/Striker Ranger/Seeker Hybrid could be fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh shoot, I did forget to set a limit.

I don't mind multiple submissions, just please put them all in the same post so I don't pick two from one person.

• Options
    Turns out my weekend is going to be pretty busy so I might as well extend the deadline to Monday 14th May.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yay!

Some sort of submission incoming....soon.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    For your consideration...

Kothargix Kepix

Kothargix, or Koth as the silly humans with thier unagile tongues call him, is a mighy Kobold Sorcerer who hates dragons. All dragons have ever done to Kobolds have been to enslave them, treat them like dirt and eventually roast them and eat them. Well, Koth has had enough of that! Digging deep into his draconic blood, Koth discovered he had power. Enough power to do something about the sorry state of his entire race. Now he travels the world, killing Dragons and looting thier stuff.

Image:
    1323367050956.png

Edit: If Kothargix is chosen to continue, I would like to take a closer look at his powers to see if there are any better sounding "combos" in there. Essentially I picked the first power that sounded cool and fit with the concept, but there may be better choices out there. Also the level progression and wish list would have to be finalized. I don't usually think that far ahead with my PC's so I left it for another day.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Alénthian is the embodiment of his Deity, graceful, enigmatic, and an artist. His art encompasses the noble Eladrin pursuits of song, dance, music, locksmithing, and stabbing things creatively with a finely crafted spear. Dragons do not appreciate art. They don't get it. They do tend to amass it, along with gold, ancient enchanted weapons and supposedly-lost artifacts, but instead of admiring it and displaying it tastefully, they sit on it. They shed scales, and the leavings of their messy, uncouth meals. They do NOT appreciate art, and this can not stand!

Easily amused (and by things that most humans and their ilk are not amused by), Alénthian is at times joyful, other times cold and aloof, and sometimes completely inscrutable. He's an elf, after all, and one of those high-falutin ELADRIN elves. He has no pupils. You can't trust him. But he does hate dragons.

Mechanically, Al likes to bully things by pushing them around and making them fall over. He's very good at that. Making his opponents look clumsy and stupid is one of his favored art forms. He's a practitioner of the Canis Silvani style of Eladrin spear combat, which is quite similar to the Iron Wolves Barbarians of the steppes, just much more cultured and refined. Because elves.

I'm also thinking about a half-elven Ardent, if I manage to get myself to conceptualise him beyond 'super mega happy cheerful psychic dude', I'll add him to this post.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Alright, last call for submissions/alternate characters before tomorrow's deadline. I think everyone who's interested has posted, so I'll leave it til 7pm GMT (midday PST) for any stragglers.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The concept I had was nerfed apparently and I can't really think of another fun one for striking, so ah well, have fun guys ;)

• Options
    Pretty sure you could still make it work, unless it was a patently broken combo that you were hoping to cheese everything to death with. :D

App it anyhow, most anything can work well, and don't forget that each striker's not in a vacuum!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I added one more to my post and added some backgrounds.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Theres a couple powers I'd like to change to something else, but is it all right if I hypothetically get picked to do that afterwards? Im at work right now so I won't be able to get it before the 'deadline'. Its nothing major, character concept, or playstyle changing.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Alright ladies and germs, pencils down. Alot of interesting concepts, but I should have come to a decision by tomorrow.

If you feel the need to tinker in some way (power swap, items, etc.) you can, but leave a note in the submission post if you do so.

• Options
    NrE5d.jpg

So after a hard fought battle against the Metaphorical Dragon of Decision Making, I have emerged victorious with our six Illustrious Dragon Slayers:

@Steelhawk with Kothargix Kepix, Kobold Sorcerer.

@Aegis with Evanche, Adept of the Whispers of Hoar, Tiefling Invoker.

@Nealneal with Amon'Kul, Tiefling Fighter.

@Kay with Alénthian, Favored Soul of Corellon., Eladrin Avenger.

@Majestic Goat with Big Iron, Battle Engineer, Warforged Artificier.

@Wassermelone with Estir Vesarian, Tiefling Monk.

It was tough narrowing it down, but what ultimately decided things was how well the characters would work together.

A big thanks to everyone who submitted characters, and please do stick around for the show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I work on putting the IC thread together, I'd like a few things from our intrepid adventurers (in order of urgency):

- An initiative check (here in the OOC).

- The King of Arcauen has promised to grant a single wish to whoever rids his lands of the dragon threat. What does your character plan to ask of him?
    This could be wealth, land, titles, or even the hand of the prince/princess in marriage. Come up with something cool, basically.

- Your list of desired magic items, two for each level from 12 to 20 (inclusive). You'll get these when you reach that level, so if you're having trouble picking just make sure you've decided by the end of the appropriate fight.

- Your character's level 20 sheet. This is by no means final, I'd just like an idea of where your character is going to end up and what sort of tricks you'll be pulling with regards to feats and items (remember to upload it with a different name).

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Initiative: 1d20+7 23

Amon'kul intends to ask the King to allow him to form a small barony on his border, peopled by tieflings. The tiefling race has suffered much since the fall of Bael Turath, and it would do them good to have a place to call their own.

Magic Item List:
    Level 12: Cloak of Resistance +3, Magic Hand Crossbow +3
    Level 13: Strikebacks (Hands), Crown of the Goliath Champion
    Level 14: Ring of Winter, Winged Boots
    Level 15: Amulet of Life +3, Ring of Fury
    Level 16: Iron Armbands of Power (Paragon), Khopesh of Sacrifice +4
    Level 17: Scale Armor of Dwarven Vigor +4, Cloak of Resistance +4
    Level 18: Greater Horn of Blasting, Belt of Vigor (paragon)
    Level 19:Dragonslayer's Khopesh +4, Seed of War
    Level 20: Amulet of Life +4, Diamond Cincture

Amon'Kul- Level 20

@aegis- Would you be opposed to me picking Evanche as Amon'Kul's bonded charge?

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sweet! Thanks for the opportunity!

I'll need some time to kick around ideas for my gear and level progression and etc. Hopefully I'll have something worked out tonight (unless my 6mth old tries to eat the mouse again while Daddy is on the computer) for you.

Untill then: Initiative = 16

Edit: Changed my starting gear a little. I didn't take any specific magic weapons....I like to spread the damage types around. Dragons come in all colours! Any thoughts/suggestions fellow players?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in :D

Initiative: 1d20+9 26

Big Iron would like help from the kingdom in search for his old master and anything about the old war he was fighting in long time ago: books, unlimited access to library or mage guild or whatever, planar travel if possible. If those are not possible, then just build him a giant statue in the middle of a forum/park/castle. Big Iron needs no wealth or title.

Still working on the item list and lv20 sheet. CharBuilder is working weird.

• Options
    I can get to the other stuff tonight!

Initiative: 1d20+10 27

• Options
    Woo, thanks! Currently working on the item list, but here's my INITIATIVE:

Initiative: 2d20k1+9 27

Alénthian would wish to converse and interact with the finest artists, musicians, dancers and writers that the kingdom has to offer, to see if any have the spark Corellon requires from a devotee, and to absorb some of the alien nature of human creativity. I will expand upon this in the near future!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I will also get the other stuff tonight, I think I have a level 20 sheet kicking around on wizards so I'll have to dig that up.

Initiative: 1d20+9 11

It's okay guys, I'll just go last :/
    @aegis- Would you be opposed to me picking Evanche as Amon'Kul's bonded charge?

Not at all! We should stick together, naturally. Just don't be wicked or corrupt or stuff like that or I'll have to kill you. Painfully.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Ok, first combat post is up and you guys have aced the initiative (mostly). It's block initiative, so @Kay, @Wassermelone and @Majestic Goat can take their turns before I get my fun.

• Options
    Oh, hey. If you want to make a token that fits with the rest of the party, the image I used was here.

Might be able to get more of the spear in on a square one!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Hey, Goat. Did you shoot the dragon with a crossbow? What does Magic Weapon do? Did you hit? Statblock doesn't have any damage to the dragon on it.

(Also, Estir should be in H8 on the statblock.)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    MW is an at -will power which I use through my crossbow attack.
    It hit the dragon and Amon'luk gain the bonus I wrote in OOC.
    I didn't read that block clearly sorry guys. Now it's fixed

• Options
    Oh, I see! I normally put that under the power used. I remember Magic Weapon being a really decent at will, I just didn't remember what it -did-! :D

Grog, are you wanting us to narrate our turns to give an idea what we're doing, or just an action block with move/minor/standard etc?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kinda move myself into the wrong square, should have moved to b8 and grant the bonus to Evanche too.
    Well, lesson learned: READ MOAR CAREFULLY.

• Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Grog, are you wanting us to narrate our turns to give an idea what we're doing, or just an action block with move/minor/standard etc?

Narrate, please. I'm enjoyed this jaunty elf thing you've got going.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think we should spread out a little more. Y'know. Jauntily.

(Breath weapons suck)

Also!

y8WgY.jpg

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    It'll be in the next map update, promise.

• Options
    Hey would both melee strikers mind delaying a bit and let me catch up to buff you guys up next round ?

• Options
    It's block initiative, so if you want to go the moment Evanche (Aegis) takes a turn, feel free!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Yep! We can wait till you go without delaying action.

• Options
    And here comes the paintrain.

And by paintrain I mean dragon.

ew9y0DD.png