As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] 6th Edition Incoming. Hide your women and children!

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    How are you all approaching the Allies rules? It seems clear cut that it's just a standard part of the game now, but I see over and over on other forums people talking about how they don't plan to allow Allies outside of friendly beerhammer games.

Tournaments I get but I have every intention of running an Eldar/Tau list and I'd hate to think it would be met with a great deal of scorn from the general player base.

DocSamson on
  • Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    The Look Out Sir "(or unsaved Wound)" is for homogenous armor saves only. In a unit with mixed saves you use the p15 "Mixed Saves" procedure where there's only one allocation step. The two-step allocation is only for units (including ICs) where it's all the same save.

You could never ever under any circumstances take two armor saves on a Look Out Sir. Even the most pants-on-head derpy as all fuck interpretation of the rules wouldn't allow two saves by using Look Out Sir.

You CAN still boomerang a lot of shots from an IC with no saves into grunts with storm shields. It's a significant risk when your IC is T3 (lol inquisitors).

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    How are you all approaching the Allies rules? It seems clear cut that it's just a standard part of the game now, but I see over and over on other forums people talking about how they don't plan to allow Allies outside of friendly beerhammer games.

Tournaments I get but I have every intention of running an Eldar/Tau list and I'd hate to think it would be met with a great deal of scorn from the general player base.

In our group we will probably be allowing them until we have reason to not. Most of the 'bullshit' I thought up before the rules came out were cleaned up by the FAQs.

The Astronomi-con guys came out and pretty much the same thing.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Good. Good.
    I can finish puting together my SoB marine knockoffs for sunday.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

In our group we will probably be allowing them until we have reason to not. Most of the 'bullshit' I thought up before the rules came out were cleaned up by the FAQs.

The Astronomi-con guys came out and pretty much the same thing.

I'm running plain Eldar for the first few weeks to get a feel for the rules, but eventually having Tau in the mix will be fun I think without any cheese. Fire warriors look pretty nice now with that change to rapid fire but they're no Space Wolves or anything.

Are you coming down Sunday?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I can finish puting together my SoB marine knockoffs for sunday.
    Are you coming down Sunday?

Pretty sure there is going to be a lot of us down on Sunday. I'm actually worried about having enough tables!

I was suggesting that we only do 500/1000pt lists on Sunday since it's most of our first games and we have so many people down. I'll send out an email to everyone to see what they think.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ok, some Necron player thinks that his Doom Scythes can fire their Death Rays at other Flyers.

As if a Strength 10, AP1 never misses shot isn't already overpowered.

If he puts it into Skyfire mode, there's nothing technically preventing it, just remember that he can't hit ground-based units with it in Skyfire mode since that would be a Snap Shot and weapons which don't hit based on a BS roll don't work with snap shots.
    That bit is also why you can't use bomb squigs on flyers any more.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Those draw a line weapons are considered template weapons, so cant hit flyers any way unless I am completly wrong.

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Hurm, can you use psychic shooting powers on Overwatch? Destructor in specific, since it doesn't use warp charge. dont see anything about it in the Eldar FAQ.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Those draw a line weapons are considered template weapons, so cant hit flyers any way unless I am completly wrong.

Otherwise the Vibrocannon would become an awesome anti-flyer gun. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Are codex psychic powers assumed to have a warp charge of one or zero?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    El Mucho wrote: »

I dunno, but Eldar Warlock powers are explicitly FAQ'd to be WC 0 since they don't require a test and are "always on".

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I didn't see anything about warp charge in the FAQ for Grey Knights or Imperial Guard. I guess for now I could assume a warp charge of one.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ok, some Necron player thinks that his Doom Scythes can fire their Death Rays at other Flyers.

As if a Strength 10, AP1 never misses shot isn't already overpowered.

Don't see why not. Also? Dark Eldar fighters are pretty neat, imo. Lances fired in skyfire mode while zooming around are pretty boss.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    For all those AV14 flyers?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    What are cover saves on a battlement? I can't find clear consensus. I mean like the top of a bastion.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular

Fuck yeah. Call it pre-emptive insurance. Don't the Necron ones have quantum Shielding? Storm Ravens are ARM 13, IIRC.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    So if marbo is a character and he throws a demo charge onto a squad, does he get to allocate all those juicy wounds?

signature.png
  • Options
    oh yeah, the other thing we found out last night, apparently imperial flyers are pretty much immune to vector strikes from alot of flying MCs due to side armor 12 and vector strikes only says you get d3+1 hits at base strength and there was nothing that we could find that lets smash overrule that. So the only MC that could hurt my Stormraven in the game I played was a bloodthirster, which did kill it after two sets of vector strikes.

• Options
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Fuck yeah. Call it pre-emptive insurance. Don't the Necron ones have quantum Shielding? Storm Ravens are ARM 13, IIRC.

nope, necrons ones are only av11, the stormraven is AV12.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I didn't see anything about warp charge in the FAQ for Grey Knights or Imperial Guard. I guess for now I could assume a warp charge of one.
    The psychic powers section of the book essentially says that powers cost one warp charge unless specifically noted otherwise.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    altmann wrote: »
    So if marbo is a character and he throws a demo charge onto a squad, does he get to allocate all those juicy wounds?

I think precision shots only work on regular BS, not blasts. It still allocates to the closest model, so you can pretty much pick who you want to die first at least.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Warp Charges are generated based on how many psychic powers you could cast last edition.

You would use one of those psychic power castings to use a codex power.

Hence, codex psychic powers expend a warp charge.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

nope, necrons ones are only av11, the stormraven is AV12.

Pre-emptive insurance. ;_;

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Vehicles didn't get tougher... but they did get more reliable. It takes significantly more firepower to eliminate you opponent's shooting for the next phase. I think that's why people are recommending parking lots. To me it seems that AV12+ is the sweet spot here.

Unless you're playing as IG, in which case you blow everyone's parking lots right the fuck up with ordnance turn 1 before they get to move, since ordnance always hits side armor.

I really want to try to work Imotekh into an IG army so they can blow up your parking lot with Manticores fully 75% of the time.

Unrelated: You know what's actually surprisingly awesome now? A straight-up Space Marine Battle Company.

• Options
    I was just thinking about that. A standard tac squad and march up the field and shoot something at 24, then get inside 12 shoot again. If you get charged you overwatch. If what assaulted you is anything you cant win aginst you will usually have lost combat, so you choose to fail and unless caught you auto rally in your turn as there is no 6in limit anymore, move, double tap the unit that charged you again and repeat.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    What are cover saves on a battlement? I can't find clear consensus. I mean like the top of a bastion.

It will depend on the actual walls that you have modeled on your battlement, unfortunately. p. 95, "[. . .] and will have to rely on their armor (and any cover save from the battlement walls) for protection."

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I was just thinking about that. A standard tac squad and march up the field and shoot something at 24, then get inside 12 shoot again. If you get charged you overwatch. If what assaulted you is anything you cant win aginst you will usually have lost combat, so you choose to fail and unless caught you auto rally in your turn as there is no 6in limit anymore, move, double tap the unit that charged you again and repeat.

What's going to charge you that you can't win against? All marines have Krak Grenades standard. Against MCs or Dreads you're throwing S6 attacks.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I think people will be more OK with allies once they get more experience with this edition. Initially though, I bet there's a lot of nervousness about cheese. Especially with fliers being a big change.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    since ordnance always hits side armor.

Barrage hits side armour. Ordinance uses 2d6 and picks the highest for pen.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Tac marines? a ton of stuff actually. off the top of my head, Grey Hunters, blood claws, assault marines, BT crusader squads, khorn beserkers, any GK powerarmor guys, small-med sized ork mobs, probably strking scorpoins too, wytches. All stuff that I would assault into a tac squad without a 2nd thought that I wouldnt win eventually, but would probably not kill them out right. Same applies for things like incubi, DCAs, terminators but those have a good chance to kill off the tac squad in one assault phase. All things I would much rather trade my one attach per model per round for more chances to shoot you.

S4 T4 I4 one attack is not going to win comabat after getting charged by anything other than like 10 guardsmen.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    And ordinance barrage does both. JEEAAH.

MANTICOREs. MANTICORES EVERYWHERE.

I find that I am taking no vehicles other than flyers and pods now though. BEcause fuck the meta.

My pods do what rhinos can't now. And with Astropath, all my shit is pooping onto the board turn 2 with a 2+ reserve roll.

Right now my go-to 1850 is guard with 3 vendettas carrying vets, 2 CCS with lascannons and MoO, marbo, and space wolves rune priest with Grey hunters in a pod and a squad of terminators in a pod and 5 longfangs.

And a bastion with quad gun.

signature.png
  • Options
    So, assuming Destructor can be used in Overwatch, I'm thinking Fuegan + Farseer + some Warlocks (Enhance, Embolden, Destructor for the rest) is a pretty gross little unit to put in front of your army. Stick Fuegan in front, cast Fortune each turn, all AP3+ shots allocate to Fuegan who rerolls his 2+ AS then gets FNP should he roll snake eyes. AP[21] shots get LOS'd to a warlock/Farseer on a 2+ to use their 4+ rerollable invuln save. Drop templates and 18" AP1 melta that ignores cover untill you get charged, overwatch with the Destructors, and then have Fuegan go to town with WS8 I8 S5 Ignore armor saves on any opposing IC/Chars in a challenge.

Even if you can't use Destructor in Overwatch, that's still a pretty beefy unit and ablative wounds only cost 25 points each.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    MoO took an accuracy hit (lol), as now when firing barrage weapons, you can't reduce BS even if you have LoS. :/

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Still waiting on my 6th edition book. Should be here tomorrow, but I'm a bit peeved that it took this long.

Got some modelling done this week, though, along with some painting.

However, Noise Marine @Nax is gonna fill you full of sound and bone your girlfriend (WIP):
    DSCN2987.jpg

And @Dayspring, your idea for my banner is almost realized:
    DSCN2990.jpg

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Playing Necrons? Imotekh and 9 flyers.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    So 1k point game tomorrow for a campaign. Think I am just going to take as many guard infantry as I can + a librarian and a small scout squad to sit on an objective. Something like a CCS, plasma vet squad, platoon with 4 infantry squads with flamers/powerweapons etc., and a HWS with rockets. Its a 4x4 board otherwise I would just take a shitton of flyers as I am technically running elysians for this campaign.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    @Extreme - Liking the conversions. Very nice.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh hello, Haemonculus model.

483995_10151883633945597_598550407_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.