As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RUMOR: New characters announced for SSB:B

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love rumours, and the ensuing havoc that they cause.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind seeing Young Link replaced with Wind Waker Link, but by no means should they drop the Ice Climbers or Mr Game & Watch. No-ho-ho-ho-ho way.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Filler wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Filler wrote: »
    No, WHO IS RIDLEY?

Not 'What the fuck?'

That's a much different question.

EDIT: Thanks dude. Never played through an entire Metroid game. I'd get stuck somewhere and quit.
    You'd get stuck before the first fight in the game in Super Metroid?

I havent played that game in a loooooooong time.

It's not like they tell you in the game that this big dragon you're fighting is named Ridley.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Ridley?! :^:

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Downsized Ridley would be ridicules. But I bet Dark Samus is in.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Ridley?! :^:

I wonder how that will work out ingame. I would have thought Nintendo would sooner throw in the SA-X or somethin'.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is it just me or is the article not showing up at all?

Anyway I doubt it's validity as well. Currently Nintendo isn't even allowed to announce anything about their new games, right?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OH OH OH LET ME MY TURN I WANT TO TRY 2!!

Characters I'd like to see in SSB:B:

Metroid (yes, a little metroid with float jumping who relies on lots of grabs <3)
    Sonic (of fucking course.. who else could make Fox his bitch?)
    Classic Mario (from #3 - frog suit, hammer bro suit, tail, fireball, weird statue thing)
    Mii (I kind of think something like this will come about - play as your Mii with a generic moveset)
    Bubble Bobble Dino (not sure the name - would be so much fun though)

My ideas are the best, but of course Nintendo's going to do something retarded and put Baby Mario and Baby Luigi in as Ice Climber clones, cut Game&Watch, and add the Marble from Marble Madness.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What!? Bowser Jr?

Does anyone here seriously play with Bowser? Why the hell would they add a Bowser JUNIOR ?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Mii (I kind of think something like this will come about - play as your Mii with a generic moveset)

That is a neat idea.

I would also like it if there were some new mechanics to the game, like maybe actual character upgrades. Basically, instead of having standard Mario who has a cape and can shoot fireballs, make him just normal Mario who can then pick up a fire flower or a leaf or a feather or a purple shell suit etc. Every character could have upgrades like this: different Kirby abilities, new items for Link, items and TMs for Pokemon etc.

Maybe it's not the greatest idea, but if optional it'd be a nice addition. I want to see some new things in the formula besides bigger attacks.

Also I wonder if the Princess will have her emotional rages now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OH GOD Ridley It's EVERYWHERE!

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    She'd better. Super Princess Peach gave the character some semblance of shape. Sure, it was the shape of a Generic Emotional Woman on a Rampage, but it was shape none the less. They'd have to be pig-ignorant to leave that development out of SSBB.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thread does not deliver. It seems the page has been pulled down, so it's probably bogus. Or is it? Ridley would be cool to have at any rate. I'm guessing it'd be a Pit/Metaknight clone, just with claws, teeth and a gigantic body size.

edit: wait, that sounds like Bowser with wings. :|

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone should transcribe the interview for those of us not awesome enough to witness/hear it.

Someone cool.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want to have Fawful in the game. I HAVE FURY!

But I doubt that would ever happen.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Too basd it's a fake. Ridley was one of the characters I really, really wanted to see. Him and Meta Knight.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't this a debunked hoax from six months ago?

Because I sure do remember it from more than six months ago.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What!? Bowser Jr?

Does anyone here seriously play with Bowser? Why the hell would they add a Bowser JUNIOR ?

I play as Bowser in the melee. Sure, he takes alot of work to be good with but he has some really powerful moves/combos and is heavy as hell so takes a while to die.

I could only use him for 1v1s or 2v2s though. In a free for all he's so large and heavy that you'd get caught between two players and beaten to death so fast.

But, as to why add Bowser Junior. Bowser Junior would be NOTHING like Bowser. Jr. is smaller then your average character, Bowser is larger. Jr is fast, Bowser is slow. Jr has a weapon (paintbrush), Bowser does not. Jr. probably has all sorts of paintbased attacks/ninja-esque moves, Bowser has physical claw attacks and fire breath.

They would be quite different.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    She'd better. Super Princess Peach gave the character some semblance of shape. Sure, it was the shape of a Generic Emotional Woman on a Rampage, but it was shape none the less. They'd have to be pig-ignorant to leave that development out of SSBB.

Peach already had substansive character development in Paper Mario 64, you know. More than in SPP, I'd say, and as an added bonus here sequences were the most hilarious in the game to boot. Not as much in The Thousand-Year Door, where here sequences were mostly just spoofing 2001: A Space Odyssey.

God, I loved Peach so much in PM64. If only SPP could've been more like that.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why not

Bomberman - Hudson
    Rockman - Capcom (Look! I used Rockman over Megaman, I'm l337)
    Sonic - Sega
    Pacman - Namco
    SRX - Bandai

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thread fails for getting my hopes up.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pics.. I need pics.

I can't climax without pics.

JJ on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think there's a very good chance that cel-shaded link and Bowser JR WILL be in the game.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Seriously

I came in here hoping for actual news and all I get are old rumors

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, what the hell. Kraid should be a playable character. You just walk around in the background, launching platform thorns at people and swiping at them with your tiny claws.

Or mother brain. Not final boss of super metroid mother brain, but the actual brain in a glass tube. You could just use the controls to set up little ring turrets all over the place to piss off the other characters. Then if they happen to break the glass, you can fire big laser blasts at them with your eye.

Ballman on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait.. this is a hoax?

Fuck you, OP. Fuck off and die.

JJ on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »

Seriously

Same.

Regarding "who plays as Bowser," my wife does. And Giga Bowser is many times more awesome a boss than Master Hand, IMO.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Wait.. this is a hoax?

Fuck you, OP. Fuck off and die.

This has been a hoax since...oh, about June I think.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »

Seriously

Same.

Regarding "who plays as Bowser," my wife does. And Giga Bowser is many times more awesome a boss than Master Hand, IMO.

I play Bowser too

Bowser rocks if you know how to use him

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Holy frick!

I love Wind Waker link, Bowser Jr. is *shrugs*, and Ridley.....................I hope they pull him off, because he's awesome, and has one of the best Metroid theme songs.

Also, http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=153

Edit: Oh wait we're being lied to.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    GibberxGibberx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Disregarding hoaxes, what if it was just the NES version of Ridley? Not much bigger than Samus.

180px-Ridley_NES.gif

Gibberx on
    Its+Tryke.png
    PSN: ItsTryke
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fawful wrote: »
    Not as much in The Thousand-Year Door, where here sequences were mostly just spoofing 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Um, her scenes in that were creepy voyeur stuff with the robot spying on her showering, or her running around the facility naked (while invisible). I don't remember that in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Well, HAL was reading their lips in the shower...

And screw this rumor. It has been around since SSBB was announced and it was just as fake then as it is now.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    different Kirby abilities
    I hope Kirby has his magic top hat (PIGEONS!!!) from Squeak Squad. And his UFO. And all the other awesome new abilities he has in that game, they really rock.

Also, to whoever said Dark Samus: go play Metroid Fusion. The SA-X totally kicks Dark Samus' generic butt. One of the creepiest Nintendo villains ever.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Not as much in The Thousand-Year Door, where here sequences were mostly just spoofing 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Um, her scenes in that were creepy voyeur stuff with the robot spying on her showering, or her running around the facility naked (while invisible). I don't remember that in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Well, HAL was reading their lips in the shower...

Dude, TEK (or was it TEC?) even looks exactly the same as HAL. The fact that he is obsessed with her just makes it better.

If the Peach segments of PM2 aren't a 2001 parody then I don't know what is. Just give it up.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Craveon wrote: »
    I hope Kirby has his magic top hat (PIGEONS!!!) from Squeak Squad. And his UFO. And all the other awesome new abilities he has in that game, they really rock.

Also, to whoever said Dark Samus: go play Metroid Fusion. The SA-X totally kicks Dark Samus' generic butt. One of the creepiest Nintendo villains ever.

My question is how much will "creepy" play into a game like SSBB? Not very much, I'd wager; I'd expect it to wind up being just like facing regular Samus, in fact...

...but, in ADVENTURE mode, well, that's a whole 'nother story...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Dude, TEK (or was it TEC?) even looks exactly the same as HAL. The fact that he is obsessed with her just makes it better.

If the Peach segments of PM2 aren't a 2001 parody then I don't know what is. Just give it up.

Ok, ok. I just wanted to mention all the creepy stuff with Peach in that game. Also, no more Samuses. There are already two in Brawl, how many more do we need?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

HAL is what I immediately thought of, so creepy

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Yes! I doubt it too since he's only been in one game. Unused potential I say.

Also, I think MegaMan would be a great non-nintendo character.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »

Yes! I doubt it too since he's only been in one game. Unused potential I say.

Two actually. But I see how you could have missed the cameo in Partners in Time, as it was so very minor. :cry:

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    TechBoy wrote: »
    I hope there's a lot less clones this time around.

Link - Young Link
    Fox - Falco
    Mario - Dr. Mario - Luigi
    Pikachu - Pichu
    Roy - Marth
    Hell, even Capt. Falcon - Ganondorf

I'm not opposed to the characters, it's just dumb when they have the same moves except so and so's is faster or does more damage or has more purple sparks.

Luigi was fairly unique, all considering. His fireballs acted different, he had that "Luigi Torpedo" move, and the running-hitting thing...

...I would like to see them further the differences, though. Add Poltergust in there somehow (one of those mega-Smash moves like Link's multislash and Mario's super fireballs?), and change Luigi's fireballs to electricity, not unlike his Hand move in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.
    Tingle wrote: »
    Bowser Jr. is the worst, most unimaginative Nintendo character ever (yeah I like Waluigi, sue me). And what is up with that hideous generic rage scarf he's always wearing? The Koopa Kids are so much better.

I whole heartedly agree. The fact that that whiny little bitch has taken the place of our beloved Koopa Kids is one of the greatest injustices in this world of ours. Although, the Koopa Kids did make an appearance in one of the handheld Mario and Luigi RPG games, didn't they? Does that mean they aren't dead?

Sorry for the derail but Bowser Jr's very existence gets me fired up.

The Koopalings were also going to be in Super Princess Peach, but seemed to be removed at some point. The sprites remain, but as spare data. And yes, they did appear in Superstar Saga.

I like Bowser Jr. well enough, though, since he's got actual characterization. I'm guessing that the developers liked Baby Bowser's general design enough in Yoshi's Island to try and make him a more regular part of the cast. I didn't care much for him in Sunshine, though I do respect his resolve to beat Mario, and the bond he and Bowser share, something you never saw with the Koopalings.

I think the Koopalings ought to return, but I can see why Bowser Jr. is a better choice; he's one character to partner in your sports games and such, rather than adding 7 to the roster that would all probably be relatively similar.

But in platformers, the Koopalings definitely ought to be there. Like in New SMB, you fight BJ SO many times, when several of those could've been allotted to Koopalings.
    Sidenote:

It would make no goddamn sense for them to take out Young Link and leave in Pichu.

Really, if I had to have a "characters to cut" list, Pichu would be at the top.

If it were me, it'd chiefly just be changing Young Link to look like Wind Waker Link, with the character otherwise remaining the same.
    imbalanced wrote: »
    I'm sure Nintendo would love to readd the Koopa Kids to Smash if Mario, in all his carnivorous fury, didn't eat every one of them after their inevitable defeat. Oh yes, there was a KK Buffet, and BBQ sauce drenched their very souls. "What do Koopa Kids even taste like?" you ask. Well, a lot like chicken apparently.

Two words: "Bull" and "shit."

Mario made turtle soup out of them bitches. You played Super Mario World, right? Most of their asses landed in LAVA. And if you play the GBA version, you can hear their dying screams.

While I imagine most moves would be similar, I bet BJ would be a lot faster and lighter.
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Watch the Fighting Polygons/Wireframes become Fighting Miis in Brawl, pitting you against your Plaza.

Oh, and this needs to be added:

1170998838975.gif

THIS IS FAKE. IT IS NOT REAL. JUST COOL. BUT DO NOT THINK IT IS REAL, BECAUSE IT IS NOT. IF YOU BELIEVE THIS TO BE REAL, YOU ARE AN ILLITERATE, IGNORANTE FOOL, BECAUSE I HAVE CLEARLY STATED THAT THIS IS NOT REAL.

Okay?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

My question is how much will "creepy" play into a game like SSBB? Not very much, I'd wager; I'd expect it to wind up being just like facing regular Samus, in fact...

...but, in ADVENTURE mode, well, that's a whole 'nother story...
    I see your point. I was mostly pointing him to the awesom Metroid Fusion though, since obviously he's never played it (after all, no one in his right mind would suggest the painfully generic Dark Samus over the similar, but far more interesting character of SA-X).

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg