Options

[Marvel] at Redundant Threads

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    IIRC, Marvel was given a super barebones Rom IP and basically made every other character in the comic, so they still have the rights to them.

They use the Spaceknights all the time and trot out the Dire Wraiths on occasion.* It's Rom they don't have the rights for, which is why its funny how many writers and artists have used him anyway.

* I like that the Dire Wraiths backstory is that they are essentially the Skrull equivalent to vampires.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Here's a pretty good write-up about the whole deal with Rom:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/09/rom-spaceknight-comics/

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I feel that it is required to mention that this panel:
    rom05.jpg
    Is INCREDIBLY badass.

"I am Rom and FUCK YOU."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I feel that it is required to mention that this panel:
    rom05.jpg
    Is INCREDIBLY badass.

"I am Rom and FUCK YOU."

"Find Him Before He Finds You!" is an awesome slice of complete nonsense.

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    I think they should just use the movie Shooter as the origin movie for a modern day Punisher. Just recast Markie Mark for the sequels.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Rumormill Time: Marvel has a Ms. Marvel script ready to go and will be making an announcement about it "in the coming weeks."

No confirmation yet, so this is still in gain of salt territory.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=60176

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know when Sony's rights to Spider-Man expire? I read on a (sketchy at best) website that stated the rights revert back to Marvel after 2012...but that seems unlikely given that The Amazing Spider-Man appears to be a new franchise.

I'm not bagging on The Amazing Spider-Man either, it looks pretty good to me, but I would love if Spidey could become a part-time/reserve Avenger in the films like in the books. I always dug the dynamic of Spider-Man maintaining his secret identity while the other members are "out of the closet" as superheroes.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    G Rol wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Sony's rights to Spider-Man expire? I read on a (sketchy at best) website that stated the rights revert back to Marvel after 2012...but that seems unlikely given that The Amazing Spider-Man appears to be a new franchise.

I'm not bagging on The Amazing Spider-Man either, it looks pretty good to me, but I would love if Spidey could become a part-time/reserve Avenger in the films like in the books. I always dug the dynamic of Spider-Man maintaining his secret identity while the other members are "out of the closet" as superheroes.

I'm pretty sure they revert after a certain amount of time passes without Sony making a movie.

So, never.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    G Rol wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they revert after a certain amount of time passes without Sony making a movie.

So, never.

Yup, same with Fox and the Xmen. I think it's like four years and if you haven't made a movie you lose the rights or something. That's why they started on the reboot immediately after Spider3

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    GRol:

AMFA and Tomanta are right. Marvel is never getting Spider-man or X-men back ever. That ship has sailed.

I don't see this as a bad thing. With them under Marvel's control we'd have been having movies about them, not the Avengers and the MCU. This way we get both. Though I'd like to see Fantastic Four, Punisher, Ghost Rider & Daredevil back in their hands.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I think it's more like 8 years (or more) Otherwise Daredevil would have reverted by now. Then again, it might be unique per each individual contract.

• Options
    I think it's more like 8 years (or more) Otherwise Daredevil would have reverted by now. Then again, it might be unique per each individual contract.

Daredevil's got to be close. That's why Fox wants a new movie done quickly.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Punisher has been back in Marvel's hands for awhile now, Harry :D

Also, contract expiration isn't the only way they can get the franchise back. Marvle (i.e. Disney) can just try to flat out buy the ip's back. For stuff like Spider-Man or X-Men, the price is probably way too high (especially since the properties are worth more to Marvel, thanks to the shared universe, than they are worth to Sony and Fox) but for something like Daredevil, which made it's money back but was a critical flop, and was followed by the extremly shitty Elektra movie, Marvel can present a value proposition.

Fox can either
    -Spend the money to develope and produce another Daredevil movie which may or may not make it money back, based on their poor track record of the franchise
    OR
    -Just accept a lump sum from Disney/Marvel and be able to generated one final, guarrenteed pile of money from the unreliable IP.

Daredevil is in a good spot for this; Ghost Rider too (though with a movie having come out this year, I imagine Sony will sit on it for awhile). Fantastic Four might be a little harder to reaquire as it seems to have done "alright' at the box office.

Spider-Man and X-Men, as I said, are probably way to lucrative for Sony/Fox to ever consider giving up without a giant payout.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    USM:

Ugh, dunno why I wrote Punisher in there.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've heard that Fantastic Four is getting pretty close to reverting back to Marvel unless something happens soon.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I've heard that Fantastic Four is getting pretty close to reverting back to Marvel unless something happens soon.

That's bogus news.

Fox just signed the guy who wrote and directed Chronicle to reboot the FF.

• Options

That's bogus news.

Signing a director is very different from having a movie already in production or ready to hit theaters. That takes time and money. They're running low on time every day it isn't made.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Eh, last movie came out in 2007, I'm sure they have a few years yet, given that Elektra was out in 2005 and the DD rights haven't reverted yet.

And I'm not entirely clear on what counts as having a movie being made in this contracts: having some guy writing a script might be enough.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Eh, last movie came out in 2007, I'm sure they have a few years yet, given that Elektra was out in 2005 and the DD rights haven't reverted yet.

And I'm not entirely clear on what counts as having a movie being made in this contracts: having some guy writing a script might be enough.

Most of the time, as far as I can tell, there only needs to be "forward progress" like getting scripts written or treated, or talent hired. Sometimes someone will take the owners to court to challenge the spot of the ball, to see if the progress is BS or not.

• Options

That's bogus news.

Signing a director is very different from having a movie already in production or ready to hit theaters. That takes time and money. They're running low on time every day it isn't made.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the terms of the license agreement mandate that Fox has to release a theatrical film, but only have to be in some stage of pre-production in good faith of an actual production.

Fox can't just say, "Oh, see, we have a script. No license for you," and sit on the property forever, but as long as they're spending money on good-faith preproduction, it's basically theirs. Otherwise, it would be on Marvel to prove in a court of law that Fox was in break of agreement.

• Options

That's bogus news.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the terms of the license agreement mandate that Fox has to release a theatrical film, but only have to be in some stage of pre-production in good faith of an actual production.

Fox can't just say, "Oh, see, we have a script. No license for you," and sit on the property forever, but as long as they're spending money on good-faith preproduction, it's basically theirs. Otherwise, it would be on Marvel to prove in a court of law that Fox was in break of agreement.

Fair enough.

• Options
    And you'd better believe there's a team of Disney lawyers carefully scrutinizing the shit out of Fox and Sony, and Fox/Sony's own lawyers are making sure they're not in danger of losing the IP's.

• Options

That's bogus news.

Fair enough.

What that means, however, is that Fox will likely spend the minimum amount of effort needed to not make it worth Marvel's while to sue them and/or lose their license.

Which is probably not a lot, honestly.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    At this point it would probably be more feasible (and likely) that Disney and Sony work out some arrangment to have Spidey cameo in the next Avengers. Specially if it can coincide with the Amazing Spider-Man sequel.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    At this point it would probably be more feasible (and likely) that Disney and Sony work out some arrangment to have Spidey cameo in the next Avengers. Specially if it can coincide with the Amazing Spider-Man sequel.

I don't agree. It'd be nice, I can't imagine either Sony or Disney agreeing on anything like that.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

I always wondered why Marvel and those other studios didn't come to some kind of sub-let agreement where Marvel would pay $X for cameos and non-feature roles for some of those licensed characters, or some kind of arrangement like they came to for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, were certain aspects of characters are cooperative.

Like, Marvel can make Spider-Man cameos, as long as there's no reference to Peter Parker or Aunt May or MJ or whatever.

• Options
    Well, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is due out in 2014 but beyond that I'd prefer it was all or nothing. Either the Spider-Man franchise is a whole part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, who's adventures are vetted by Kevin Feige and who's actions contribute to the Universe overall, or he just doesn't exist.

I definitely don't want a generic Spider-Man popping up in the Avengers, who's prior activities are undefined and have a separate Spider-Man running around in his own movies where stuff, like the invasion of New York, didn't happen.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I feel like if Disney really wants it they could swing their financial dicks around enough to get it done.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I do wonder if the rights cover the Miles Morales Spider-Man now running around. If not, that may explain the reason Miles exists.

• Options
    I do wonder if the rights cover the Miles Morales Spider-Man now running around. If not, that may explain the reason Miles exists.

Wouldn't that depend on how specific the contract was? I expect Sony would sue Marvel were they to make a Miles movie since he's using the Spider-man title/brand. Things can get messy real fast for studios in Hollywood to keep their licenses intact IIRC. That said, I'd love to see a Miles Spider-man film series made. Cartoons, as well.

• Options
    I feel like if Disney really wants it they could swing their financial dicks around enough to get it done.

Oh no doubt that Disney has the financial ability to get the rights back, but that's part of the problem.

Sony and Fox know that Disney has deep, deep pockets. And Sony/Fox also know that as valuable as the properties are to themselves, they are even more valuable to Marvel, because Marvel can synergize them with the likes of Iron Man and the Avengers. Wolverine and the X-Men are worth a lot, but Wolverine and the X-Men PLUS Wolverine and the Avengers are worth a whole lot more.

As such, they're going to charge Disney out the fucking ass to get these properties back, because Sony/Fox holds all the cards. They put a absolutely ridiculous price on these IP's and either.
    -Disney refuses to pay, leaving the rights with Sony/Fox, and allowing them to continue to make $texas off the franchises
    -Disney does pay, and Sony/Fox get a beyond ludicrous payday.

There's literally no reason for Sony/Fox to not to go into negotiations asking for $alaska for these movie rights.

It's stuff like Daredevil, Ghost Rider and MAYBE Fantastic Four where the Disney can make a better case for "You'll make more money in the long-term if you just sell us the rights right now."

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its stupid at this point not to buy back FF at least. The damage they've done to that franchise is absurd.

Especially Doom.

Also I'm pretty sure it'd open up at least a hundred characters for use in all marvel films.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Its stupid at this point not to buy back FF at least. The damage they've done to that franchise is absurd.

Especially Doom.

Also I'm pretty sure it'd open up at least a hundred characters for use in all marvel films.

Exactly.

• Options

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

• Options

That the Fantastic Four movies sucked and Disney should try to get a hold of them because the Marvel films have been great?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

That Fox has done a terrible job with the movie adaptions. Have you seen their Doom? He's awful.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    They actually did a decent Silver Surfer.

• Options

The character was okay, but that movie was Elektra levels of awful.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

That the Fantastic Four movies sucked and Disney should try to get a hold of them because the Marvel films have been great?

I mean the "stupid not to buy it back" part.

Marvel is making money on the property and not spending any capital to do so. As long as Fox is exercising the property in good faith, there's no point in trying to buy back or sue for the property. I don't even know if there's a "buy back" clause in the agreement, and if there is I'm sure it's horrendous.

• Options

The character was okay, but that movie was Elektra levels of awful.

Nah, Elektra had a better story and characters. Also the bad guy wasn't a cloud.

This discussion has been closed.