As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] The Lullaby of Yog-Sothoth: Monster Mashup

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Oh, here's a thought, but I leave it to you players to decide on it...

Would you prefer a more "machined" experience with the pieces and actions or more narrative focused?

The difference being the way Mythos cards are presented and how you interact with game bits.

Edit: To be more specific, rather than saying "Ashcan Pete gets an item" you would get a 1-2 sentence story involving whatever led to receiving the item, perhaps with color added if special powers were used.

I see, trying to make your game more interesting than mine, eh? How dare you.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    IF THERE'S FOOD IN THE DEAL, I'M ON TOP OF IT SON

I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND BEING HOMELESS IS FUCKING ALL OF THEM

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I DON'T CARE IF THERE ARE MONSTERS ON THE STREET KILLIN' PEOPLE, SON...

THERE IS RESEARCH TO BE DONE ON THE PEOPLE WHO ARE STILL ALIVE!

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    YOU HAVE MY STINK BOW

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @Nullzone

Jenny Barnes!

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Well, maybe I will play.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Cayrus I am the richest bitch this side of the Delaware!

Come be my man servent :P

Bedlam on
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Oh I'll serve you alright. :winky:

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Jenny Barnes receives a Shotgun and an Axe.

Jenny Barnes receives a Book of Dzyan.

Jenny Barnes receives the Wither spell.

Jenny Barnes learns the Will skill!

@Bedlam set your starting sliders.

• Options
    Speed/Sneak 3/1
    Fight/Will 3/3
    Lore/Luck 4/2

• Options
    Once Cayrus makes his choices we'll get started!

• Options
    Joe Diamond

• Options
    Ok two things:

1) I start with ten bucks, whats a good thing to do with money?

2) I'll be rocking the fuck out of this shotgun so the axe is up for grabs if anyone wants it. Also the book I guess because @Bedlam cant read!

• Options
    @Bedlam, I can take that axe off yer hands.
    Been defendin meself with debris for years. An axe'd do me a world a good, I reckon.

• Options
    Joe Diamond receives a .45 Automatic, a Motorcycle, and an Old Journal.

Joe Diamond learns the Marksman skill!

@Cayrus set starting sliders.

• Options
    I have the opening narrative done, let me finish getting art bits together for the game board's first state and you can proceed with turns.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Ashcan Pete was the first one to take notice: it was quiet tonight. Perhaps too quiet. He and Duke were making the usual rounds down at the River Docks when he realized that the usual crazies were either missing, or all seemed to be marching to the same drum. He caught wind of a group of them headed to the Unvisited Isle, and thought maybe he could find out more if he headed that way...

Sister Mary was finishing her evening prayers at South Church before heading home for the night, when her meditations were interrupted by one of the local gangs from Uptown running by the church, screaming. This wasn't particularly unusual for Arkham, but what was odd was what they were screaming about: the undead. With Father Michael nowhere to be found, she took the initiative to find out what was going on.

Harvey Walters was in his office at the Miskatonic University Administrative Building, finishing some late-night research, when he also heard the screams coming from Uptown. He phoned over to the Science Building and informed Kate Winthrop that he was heading home, but would probably swing by Uptown first to find out what all the ruckus was about.

Kate Winthrop bid Professor Walters a good night and returned to her work. She was SO CLOSE! There had to be something she was missing. She went back to reviewing the old tomes she had found when her instrumentation started going wild; another anomaly had appeared over in Rivertown! She quickly gathered her things, including her latest experiment, and set out to get some real data.

Bob Jenkins was locking up his shop for the night when he saw the brilliant flash of light coming from the nearby Graveyard, followed by the odd symbol glowing on the back of his hand again. An "Elder Sign", the old witch had called it. Bob wasn't usually superstitious, but something about the symbol made him uneasy; it seemed to hold an ancient power. He felt strangely drawn to this odd light in the sky, and considered going to investigate.

Jenny Barnes had just stepped off into the Arkham Train Station and was immediately accosted by several homeless sorts who had taken up residence there. She managed to ignore or push off most of them, but one in particular made her uneasy; there was something about the look in his eyes that haunted her. She had come here looking for a change of pace, but now she wasn't so sure, as this entire town was just...off. As she left the station, she couldn't help but remember the words the crazed man yelled after her: "MORTALS ARE NOT LONG TO SUFFER THIS WORLD, AS THE GREAT YOG-SOTHOTH WILL SOON AWAKEN AND CAST HIS EYE UPON US, AND WE SHALL RECEIVE HIS GIFT!"

Joe Diamond was cleaning up some old casefiles when the calls started coming in. Reports of monsters rampaging in the streets, crazy people yelling about some all-powerful being, and some kind of strange magic over in Rivertown. Looking over the river, he could see the Graveyard; some sort of strange portal was hovering in the air there, casting a sickly green light over the river. Two forms scrambled out of the portal and into Arkham. Joe sighed, and grabbed his coat and hat, and some extra ammo for his .45.

It was going to be a long night.

Ancient One
    Yog-Sothoth.png

DOOM TRACK: 1/12

ELDER SIGNS: 0/6

GATE TROPHIES: 0/7

Mythos
    A doom counter is added to the doom track!

A Gate to the City of the Great Race opens at the Graveyard!

A Ghoul and a Warlock emerge from the gate.

A Clue appears at the Unvisited Isle!

Headline: Sheldon Gang Turns to Police for Aid!

The gang disturbs a burial mound in Uptown, causing a Star Spawn and Warlock to begin rampaging there!

Gameboard: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1i5NbrsKgAv7lpKhFZ7ftB2Of2ez6CzIigkyABuWlyBg/edit

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Oh good. Nice quartet of baddies already.

• Options
    @Bedlam, where do you want to meet?

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Yog-Sothoth? Oh you, poor, poor investigators. If you thought Cthulhu's slumber penalty was bad...

• Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    Picture won't load for me. How close can I get to the train station?

• Options
    We could land on each other if we wanted. Id either go for those clue tokens or try to read your journal though so you can get up to 5 for gate sealing.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    (I'd like to head to the unnamable for the clue and to be on a red square to potentially stop a gate, if noone before me minds)

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Sheesh. Yog-Sothoth. Well, at least we've got these here Elder Signs. Does anyone near the graveyard want one of them (to use on the graveyard gate)? I'm not equipped to take out the gate guards.

• Options
    I'll probably read my book or something then so that I can get some clues a-flowing. Rolls and such to come shortly

• Options
    Look-a here! I founds me a funny tablet!
    Time to sit for a spell and look through it.

2d6.hits(5) → [5,3] = (1)

Readin this thing makes me feel like I know what's goin' on a bit.
    Also, my hands feel pretty magical. Don't need this thing anymore!

*Pete tosses the tablet over his shoulder, where it shatters into a thousand glowing pieces*

• Options
    edited June 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Sheesh. Yog-Sothoth. Well, at least we've got these here Elder Signs. Does anyone near the graveyard want one of them (to use on the graveyard gate)? I'm not equipped to take out the gate guards.
    With combat bonuses now dealing magic damage, I find myself ill-equipped to deal with the warlocks.

I think I should have set my Fight slider all the way up to properly take advantage of the -1 Sanity loss.

Anybody have a non magical weapons they're willing to lend an old professor-turned-vigilante?

Once I gets this axe I keep hearin' about, I'd be more than willin' to... er... 'liberate' those warlocks' heads from their bodies, doc.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Ashcan Pete started to follow the cultists, but stopped when something caught his eye in a nearby trash bin. A small stone tablet was resting in the top of the bin, with strange glowing writing pulsing on its surface. He picked it up and stared at it for a moment, when knowledge began to rush into his head; first, an incantation to draw the very life out of any creature, followed by two brief flashes of some greater cosmic knowledge.

He gasped, and dropped the tablet, which shattered into a thousand pieces.

Ashcan Pete receives the Shrivelling spell and 2 Clue Tokens!

• Options
    Oh. Uh. Nope! I can give it the old college try, but I may not be walking away from that one. :|

• Options
    Player order will go essentially in the order on the OP, btw

So @stever777 should be next.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Worth noting that you can fight one badguy and sneak by another.

Also, in case you haven't looked, do note the monster and gate limits, as they differ from the previous game. Not that they're particularly close (yet), but just something to keep in mind.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Ashcan Pete started to follow the cultists, but stopped when something caught his eye in a nearby trash bin. A small stone tablet was resting in the top of the bin, with strange glowing writing pulsing on its surface. He picked it up and stared at it for a moment, when knowledge began to rush into his head; first, an incantation to draw the very life out of any creature, followed by two brief flashes of some greater cosmic knowledge.

He gasped, and dropped the tablet, which shattered into a thousand pieces.

Ashcan Pete receives the Shrivelling spell and 2 Clue Tokens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISEnAhfynI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    @Nullzone : I'm more our less confined to phone posting for the next day or so, and I'll be totally afk for a few hours this morning/afternoon, so I'm going to post conditional orders now if that is ok. Don't want to slow things down.

I'm going to, on my turn, rifle through this shop I'm in, hoping to find the old shotgun I put in the store room somewhere.

If someone intends to go through the graveyard gate and wants to stop by the store, they are welcome to help themselves to one of my elder signs (I'm hanging on to the other) and this lovely stick of dynamite. It might come in handy when fighting, for example, a warlock.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    It'd be pretty awesome if you could just toss dynamite through a portal and collapse it.