As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    @Brainleech I just crunched the numbers and without upgrades besides the command models in each regiment that Dark Elf box clocks in at around 970pts and you could easily bump that up to 1000.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So I had kind of given up on finding a model for a Flame/Frost Phoenix that I really liked. Then I came across this:

mrm_blg_bnb_mon_032_000_01_large.png

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Mierce makes some good stuff. Good enough that you never hear about the Maelstrom drama anymore. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    So I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with my movement tray situation. My original idea was to have metal movement trays so that 1) models could obviously be held in the trays by magnetic bases and 2) the movement trays could be held still during transport by magnets set in the bottom of the bases. Then I'd just glue on some plastic quarter rounds to the outer edge. The problem is that not many glues will grip both the smooth polystyrene and the smooth metal and this problem is compounded by the fact that the sheet metal I picked up is too thin to be really stiff.

Turns out that someplace called shogunminiatures makes exactly what I'd want to do if I had actual metal working skills and tools:

companion%20cav%206mm.jpg

Basically I could just order some of these and paint the black to match the base edges and I'd be happy but I think that I'll probably do some more experiments to see if I can get what I have up to an acceptable level.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I'm trying to get a list of models for a High Elf army. After a bit of searching this is what I've found. I't surprising how hard it is to find excellent high elf archers and spearmen.

Spearmen: ????? Possibly GW Sea Guards
    Archers : ????? Possibly GW Archers with Spearmen heads Possibly Mirliton archers Phoenix Guards: Gamezone Plastics I posted earlier
    While Lions : GW

Silver Helms: ????? Possibly GW on Reaver horses. There are some metal alternatives but none of the have really grabbed me.
    Ellyrian Reaves: GW Possibly mounted on unarmored horses
    Dragon Princes: GW

Skycutter: GW
    Bolt Throwers: GW, maybe some cheap mantic extras for big battles or a shooty list.

There are lots of good options for Heroes, Lords and Monsters. If there are any must buy GW plastics for these let me know.

Finally, I think the Sisters of Avelorn , I guess the GW ones are OK, if slightly overdone but I'd really, really love to build a unit around this Reaper Grey Maiden:
    60143_p_1_mj.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's a real shame that when they did the new HE book they didn't do new spearmen/archer models like they did for the DE revamp. Because the DE ones are fantastic.

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The problem is that not many glues will grip both the smooth polystyrene and the smooth metal

You need a two part epoxy, most hardware stores have the dual tubes with a plunger type thing. Bit of a pain to mix but that bonds most things together that other methods won't bond with at all. Possibly do a rough sand on the metal side as well, then just jet it cure over night.

Edit, fucking tablet

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    leaf wrote: »
    The problem is that not many glues will grip both the smooth polystyrene and the smooth metal

You need a two part epoxy, most hardware stores have the dual tubes with a plunger type thing. Bit of a pain to mix but that bonds most things together that other methods won't bond with at all. Possibly do a rough sand on the metal side as well, then just jet it cure over night.

Edit, fucking tablet

Yeah, the experiments I did yesterday and tore apart today showed me that Gorilla Glue will hold well on roughed up steel and also on primed steel and epoxy did better yet.

I think the key is to split any huge, horde trays into two halves so the amount of potential flexing is less and to get them clamped really well.

Still, I ordered those metal trays with the little flanges because I think they are a better solution really. I can use my hand made ones if they are needed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Scoring is an old trick for very smooth contact points if you don't want to pin or use epoxy. I did it for the wings on one of my Infinity drop troops and they haven't broken yet.

Basically use a knife to randomly score lines onto the contact point of each part and superglue will hold to the uneven grooves.

• Options
    What do you guys think about these Thunderbolt Mountain Spear and Archer Elves?

HighElfSpear20pack_1024x1024.jpg?v=1334327204archersgroup_1024x1024.jpg?v=1334327058

They seem like the nicest available. The main problem is that I think they would push me away from the GW aesthetic for the rest of the army. Not a terrible thing but @Dr_Keenbean has been converting me as to the qualities of GW's plastics.

Also, despite being listed as 30mm they are if anything a bit small, if I'm right in thinking that the LOTRO line is smaller than the Warhammer figs.

4686363813_1f8935dc59.jpg

CMON should really add a section where people can upload scale comparison shots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LOTR/Hobbit minis are more realistically proportioned since they are meant to look like actual people. Warhammer minis are what's called 'Heroic Scale'.

The Mirliton archers you posted earlier look nice and seem to fit the GW aesthetic.

Have you looked at Mantic? Not my cup of tea but to each his own.

• Options
    Well this pic I found on Dakka almost convinced me that Mantic elves are an option and they are so, so cheap. Also I like their attitude/approach.

mant2.jpg

But I think if I was going to move away from GW style I'd more likely go to the more true scale minis. For one it opens up a lot of Reaper figs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, new Dwarfs have snuck up while everyone was distracted! Quite remarkable given all that metal they wear….
    Got hold of the gyro kit; goes together really well but you will need a jeweller's saw for the swash plates on the rotors. So many neat little details including a piece of terrain (a plastic rock with a broken dwarf statue and a couple of skulls) to stick the flying stand into so you don't actually have to cut into the square base provided.
    Comes out smaller than I was expecting but then it is only a one-dwarf machine on a 40 mil base.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Yeah they are awesome.
    Vaguely disappointed I sold my Dwarf army a few years ago.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just noticed that not only can slayers still take as many giant slayers (champions) as you want, they (giant slayers) can all have runic weapons. Yes, all, up to 25pts per, more than doubling the cost of the giant slayer if you max it. But still….

Edit: also, can we talk about the Ancestral Grudge rule? GW is usually bad at random tables, especially ones you have to roll on, but this is great. Never mind that the Dawi finally hate the Skaven just as much as the Orcs and Goblins (that's been missing forever); dwarf generals always hate the enemy general at least and can whip the entire army into frothing rage against any enemy.
    Characterful, deeply fluffy rules that are also useful without potentially crippling you as a side effect? What is this, GW, have you gone sane?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    It turns out that the group at my not so local shop has been doing Triumph and Treachery. Should be pretty entertaining.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just got those Shogun Miniatures bases in. They seem pretty boss.

Apparently pro metal workers with actual tools are superior to idiots banging around in their garage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I kind of worked myself into a panic about how GameZone was going to get themselves in trouble with their HeroQuest project and go out of business so I ordered an bunch of their plastic elves.

This is how they look:
    GameZoneplasticelves.jpg

I think the best plan is going to be to swap the weapons so that the high elves (white) have the blades and the dark elves have spears. Then I'll put the high elf shields on the dark elves and paint them as spearmen.

I'll have to decide whether I care enough about elven spearmen to do a headswap on them.

I'm also contemplating whether the Phoenix Guard would look better with the top bits of the dark elf halbards trimmed off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Played my first game of Fantasy in ages, and it was my brother's first time with the new Dwarf book. It seems pretty awesome, and he's happy with it, so that's all that counts.

Also, had a question: If I kill an enemy in a challenge, but the combat goes into further turns, can I continue issuing challenges? (So since I'm Chaos, if that's a yes, I'd have to continue issuing).

Skullo on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Yea you can issue as many challenges as you like as long as you are not already in a challenge. Once you are in a challenge you are stuck in it until either party dies or their unit breaks from combat due to combat resolution.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Oh. My. G.

Mordheim computer game announced.

Please don't fuck it up.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh. My. G.

Mordheim computer game announced.

Please don't fuck it up.

eh, I'm skeptical they won't. Most of GWs games based on board games are not that good.

• Options
    No they're absolutely going to fuck it up.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    My last bastion of hope on the video games front is that I haven't heard any news about the Creative Assembly canceling their GW collaboration project. I'm generally happy with what they put out (once they patch the shit out of it after the first few months).

• Options
    So I bought the wood elf book on a lark. My first impression is that a wood elf army would be a lot more interesting to paint than a high elf army.

Hmmmmmm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hope the ninth edition box set is wood elves vs dark elves just to mess with everyone's heads.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So I bought the wood elf book on a lark. My first impression is that a wood elf army would be a lot more interesting to paint than a high elf army.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm so tempted by this book. It looks gorgeous.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    My last bastion of hope on the video games front is that I haven't heard any news about the Creative Assembly canceling their GW collaboration project. I'm generally happy with what they put out (once they patch the shit out of it after the first few months).

I really hope they do it well.

Some of my favorite GW PC games were Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen. Great premise (Border Prince hiring mercenaries) and really translated the Warhammer feel into a PC game. Add to that multiplayer was almost a perfect recreation of Warhammer Fantasy tabletop. My brother and I used to sink hours and hours into those games.

I still remember one multiplayer game where I loaded up on Empire heavy cavalry, and he was using Night Goblins. Pfft, vermin, my cavalry would grind them into the ground. CHARGE! Then I hear that maniacal laughing, both from my brother and the fanatics swirling out of his Goblin ranks. Cavalry were charging already and couldn't be stopped. In the end there was a bunch of pressed flat tin cans on the ground.

I want to recreate that kind of shit in what Creative Assembly is doing.

• Options

Very much so. You don't even have to have "any colour as long as it's green" either, with all those seasonally-locked glades they have.

What I hadn't actually twigged until I got the book was that they can use both High and Dark magic, not to mention their magic arrows which specifically have bonus effects vs "order" and "destruction" aligned armies. Looks like they're going for the ol' "balance" bit pretty hard now. Especially with the magic wild rider counterparts and all that.

• Options
    I'm starting to mull wood elf color schemes.

Would it be preferable to have the army be in one scheme or would it be more interesting to have each unit be from a different season?

If I did autumn elves would it be cool to do a variety of cloak colors (red, orange, yellow, brown, and green) to represent a forest changing colors or would that just be a mess on the battlefield?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If they all had the same uniform underneath but each unit had a different cloak colour? Also, the smaller the range of colours the less you get that "messy" effect.

• Options
    So savage orcs, what's the best idea:

These Drakerys guys that are being kickstarted
    0fb5332aefe5371bc13d0e00b1fd53da_large.jpg?1400461551

These Shieldwolf guys:
    MountainOrcRegiment.jpg

Or GW guys
    m1640843a_99120209024_SavageOrcs01_445x319.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not feeling the drakerys ones at all. Those long muzzles weird me out.
    Shieldwolf ones look p. nice though a few seem to have weird-ass teeth and no place for their jaw muscles to actually attach.
    I happen to have a bunch of the GW guys and love them even if their poses can end up being a bit same-y (they have notched shoulders like the GW ogre plastics, so the arms only really attach in one position, but you can mix-n-match) so if I was buying more I might look into getting the shieldwolf ones for extra poses.

Just remember that if you want a big stabba (the Savage Orcs combined the battering ram concept with the lance concept to come up with something awesome) only the GW kit has the parts to make one without conversion work.

• Options
    Yeah, the Shieldwolf orcs' heads have separate jaws which makes them a bit odd. I kind of suspect that the drakerys and shieldwolf orcs would look more similar if their mouths were open/closed respectively.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like the Drakerys Orcs but they are clearly a nod to an earlier conception of the Orc, not the one we currently think of. Other than that, the GW ones hands down.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just looked at the fantasy line for the first time in forever.

I really like the new models for Beastmen, Lizardmen, and Tomb Kings. Even Vampire Counts, and I really never liked them.

But, uh, what happened to Bretonnia?

• Options
    I just looked at the fantasy line for the first time in forever.

I really like the new models for Beastmen, Lizardmen, and Tomb Kings. Even Vampire Counts, and I really never liked them.

But, uh, what happened to Bretonnia?

Nothing. For over 10 years.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    They actually have less units than ten years ago. Are they just going to get the axe?

• Options
    They actually have less units than ten years ago. Are they just going to get the axe?

Actually it's rumored that they're getting a new book soon, possibly next after 40k Orks which are happening right now.

Also GW has been making a concentrated effort to get rid of metal/finecast in favor of plastics. I expect to see big things for Brettonians before the end of the year.

• Options

Discontinued units that were not redone in Finecast for whatever reasons, and with no new book in 10 years no reason to move anything to plastic.

As Keen says, they're rumoured to be up for a book soon, but the state of the range is due to GW doing absolutely nothing with them since... 5th edition?

This discussion has been closed.