As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah even GW realizes that finecast is about 400% miscasts and gives out free replacements fairly liberally. Just be prepared for your replacement to be shit too.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I actually called about a replacement torso for my Varghulf. It had a 1cm wide by 5mm deep air bubble on its back - so big, the airbubble had it's own airbubbles. They sent me a replacement toros, which had a couple of smaller airbubbles on the back. By that point I just decided it wasn't worth it - a drop of liquid green stuff and some knife cuts and it matches the hair.

But, if the model is as bad as you say, return it. Your replacement will probably have problems, but nowhere near the amount you're desribing now.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So yeah, surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here. Harry and Hastings have been talking about bits and peices of 9th edition they've heard. It's sounding terrible and intriguing at the same time.

The main idea is that, due to languishing sales, they want to get rid of Warhammer Armies books. 9th edition will also be a massive change to the rules which will invalidate current armies books. They'll take advantage of this by releasing either one or two 'Ravening Hordes' style army books, which will have everything for every army currently released as a full army list. So either one huge book, or one Order and one Destruction.

The benefit is, obviously, every army list updated at the release of 9th edition, meaning no rules design philosophy changes across books spaced months apart by different authors. The drawback is obviously no individual army fluff outside of the rulebook, and how will new models be released. That's apparently going to be done with supplements. They haven't said much about this, but I did hear something about 'themed' suppliments. So, maybe Brettonians and Vampire Counts get new units in a Mousillon supplement, which would include also the fluff for Vampire Counts and Brettonia (this book wasn't the actual rumour, but the gist I got from it). According to Harry, this also aides making allies easier (since you'll have the rules for them already).

It sounds intriguing because hey, every army updated at release? GW, are you learning? It sounds terrible at the same time, because in Australia we already pay $124 for the rulebook. I don't want to be paying ~$300au for the rules and the 'Destruction' lists, when all I want is the rules, Vampire Counts list and maybe their allies.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    If that's the model they're doing, they'd better send out some kind of warning that army books will be useless ahead of time. Otherwise...they haven't really learned all that much.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Because GW's always been good at communicating, right?

I suspect, if they do go this direction, the rules themselves will make it clear old books won't be compatible. Doing an edition that completely invalidated older books isn't new - Warhammer Fantasy and 40k have undergone it twice. This will just be the first time they're charging people for the 'Ravening Hordes' style army lists.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Id like a fantasy skirmish system with updated rules and allies , so that every model they release for the line anyone can use. I aint got time for no massive battles :P

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    It's actually not that difficult to modify the previous warbands rules for current use. There have been multiple of those leagues at my store.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So I more or less stopped following Warhammer when I let my WD sub lapse. Have there been any rumors about them replacing the last of the monkey skaven models with the new style?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not even slightly likely ATM, sorry. More likely to get a plastic jezzail squad box and/or a weapon team kit plus a unit of rat ogre cavalry or something; the current trend is to leave existing plastics exactly where they are thanks – new tooling goes to new kits.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have been enjoying Warhammer Quest recently. I didn't when I first downloaded it.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I forgot how much the random events fuck you over constantly.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I forgot how much the random events fuck you over constantly.

Yeah, I lost my whole level 2 party. On hardcore.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The Black Orcs, the endless waves of Black Orcs...

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    It annoys me a little due to how stupid your characters are (The Warrior sees a dead corpse covered in weeping sores and the mark of nurgle stamped on it's chest. The Warrior decided to lick the corpse) but I basically love this game and it makes me wanna play the table top version again

• Options
    I haven't gotten it yet because its not a game I want to play on my phone. I want a bigger screen, so it needs to wait for a tablet.

• Options
    I've been thinking about my Orcs & Goblins and how I want to expand. I originally thought I was going to take 100 Night Goblins and be an asshole. That sounds fucking boring. Really small units (think 20-25) don't seem that feasible because you do need numbers, but a single blob isn't what I want. After some Timkering, I think I'm going with two 7 x 7 blocks of 49. Will have the numbers, but won't be total fucking cheese.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Meh, I used to run 2 units of 50 in a 5x10 formation and nobody complained of cheese. At the end of the day they are goblins. They used to work great though to break steadfast in combat, especially with nets.

• Options
    Prime wrote: »
    Meh, I used to run 2 units of 50 in a 5x10 formation and nobody complained of cheese. At the end of the day they are goblins. They used to work great though to break steadfast in combat, especially with nets.

I like the idea of two blocks because I get more fanatics as well.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So yeah, surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here. Harry and Hastings have been talking about bits and peices of 9th edition they've heard. It's sounding terrible and intriguing at the same time.

The main idea is that, due to languishing sales, they want to get rid of Warhammer Armies books. 9th edition will also be a massive change to the rules which will invalidate current armies books. They'll take advantage of this by releasing either one or two 'Ravening Hordes' style army books, which will have everything for every army currently released as a full army list. So either one huge book, or one Order and one Destruction.

The benefit is, obviously, every army list updated at the release of 9th edition, meaning no rules design philosophy changes across books spaced months apart by different authors. The drawback is obviously no individual army fluff outside of the rulebook, and how will new models be released. That's apparently going to be done with supplements. They haven't said much about this, but I did hear something about 'themed' suppliments. So, maybe Brettonians and Vampire Counts get new units in a Mousillon supplement, which would include also the fluff for Vampire Counts and Brettonia (this book wasn't the actual rumour, but the gist I got from it). According to Harry, this also aides making allies easier (since you'll have the rules for them already).

It sounds intriguing because hey, every army updated at release? GW, are you learning? It sounds terrible at the same time, because in Australia we already pay $124 for the rulebook. I don't want to be paying ~$300au for the rules and the 'Destruction' lists, when all I want is the rules, Vampire Counts list and maybe their allies.

You left out the part where the rumors seem to allude to the idea that you'll be able to play mixed lists as long as they conform to your alignment. i.e. Wood Elves and Brettonians in the same list. This is the part that I'm not sold on. Matter of fact, I'm pretty terrified of 9th majorly fucking things up and them just pulling the plug on it.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Oh man the new Dark Elves are super boss. And the not yet released kits (blackguard/executioners) are double boss.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    i didn't even know DE were getting updated any time soon, thats how out of the loop I have been, but the new kits looks boss as hell.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    They went for an entire redesign of the range like the Dark Eldar I like.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Oh and more Khainite influences in the army.

• Options
    Dark Elves are the best!

• Options
    The new chariots are actually cool too. They have a single wheel in the back middle of the cart. Also they're getting a new mounted wizard unit that actually looks pretty freaky. And apparently a new plastic corsair character with a sword peg-leg. Weird that they have all these models all painted up in the book and haven't uttered a peep about their release.

Though I guess that hammers down the rumors that this will be a 2 month rollout. I wonder what that means for nids. Christmas?

• Options
    Not likely. Christmas is typically the big sales push so telepathic alien dinosaur-ants are kinda off the menu in favour of bundle "deals" that save you nothing significant for all. Maybe a Mystery Box but that's been back and forth most of the year.
    November is apparently definitely more evil elves (now in Dark Eldar flavour!) though.

• Options
    I wonder if it will be joint since they still need to release the black guard/executioner box, the chariot, and the dark riders/warlock box. Which are all featured, photos and all, in the Dark Elf army book.

The executioners could totally be used as Incubi and the black guard helmets are VERY kabalite-ish.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out for stuff to scavenge for Dark Eldar conversions.

• Options
    Someone did moot the idea of using sisters of slaughter as hekatrix bloodbrides… OTOH, sisters of slaughter are just insane enough on their own to make me want to start a DE army….

• Options
    Except $60. When I can get 10 wyches for $30.

I'm pretty tempted to just buy wyches and put them on square bases.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    Does the "parting shot" pic at the back of the most recent White Dwarf (Photo of Wood Elves w/ a lore quote) mean there's something new coming for Wood Elves soon? I've been thinking of trying to get into Fantasy with either Wood Elves or Brettonians (the only armies that really appeal to me) but I understand they are both pretty old books (Wood Elves especially). I was thinking both wouldn't be that hard on the wallet (compared to some armies) as neither is horde-based.

• Options
    Brettonians you say? I have like 1500pts ready to go for a song.

But no I don't think Wood Elves will happen this year. More Dark Elves are coming then probably Tyranids.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Hmm … I want to break the mould a bit and do a DElf army with no Khainite units¹; just a normal garrison or maybe a raiding party. Mostly just to spite the "Internet wisdom" that a humongous horde of witch elves with a Cauldron is the DE win button.
    Also because Corsairs are half the price of witch elves and Lokir Fellheart is boss.

¹ Assassins don't count, obviously. :p

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Corsairs are pretty rad. They have a constant 4+ save now, not just from shooting.

• Options
    Indeed. And they also made Malus Darkblade usable again. The only, only thing that didn't improve or stay the same is he's no longer Toughness 5 when Tz'arkan comes out to play.

• Options
    Orestus wrote: »
    Does the "parting shot" pic at the back of the most recent White Dwarf (Photo of Wood Elves w/ a lore quote) mean there's something new coming for Wood Elves soon? I've been thinking of trying to get into Fantasy with either Wood Elves or Brettonians (the only armies that really appeal to me) but I understand they are both pretty old books (Wood Elves especially). I was thinking both wouldn't be that hard on the wallet (compared to some armies) as neither is horde-based.

The 'parting shot' hasn't meant anything for over a year. Wood Elves are rumours to be mid next year, however, after Dwarves. Which puts them in the glorious spot of 'last army book of an edition, made for the next edition but not quite right'.

• Options
    Whee! Black Guard/Executioners are £35/$60 too!
    (Says a guy who claims he's got the new WD already)

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Is that for 5 or 10?

I feel less annoyed about that (provided it's 10 models) given the general 'higher point cost = higher cost' rule they usually go by. There is absolutely no reason for witch elves to be as expensive as they are. And it makes me mad at myself that I will likely end up buying like 3 boxes of them.

EDIT: On the plus side they're only $48 at the various retailers that offer a 20% discount. Still absurd for rank & file though.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Ten, IIRC.
    Yeah, it's not good but not utterly horrifying, seeing as how you probably won't want more than one or two reasonably small units, yet it's still silly how much more expensive the same quantity of plastic is when compared to the basic warriors.

• Options
    Witch Elves are odd as they're Core and priced like Special (they're the same price as Tomb Guard, Grave Guard, Forsaken, etc). Are Sisters of Slaughter Special choices? because that might explain their pricing. Witch Elves just got unfortunately saddled with a higher priced unit.

This discussion has been closed.