Options

Comics in Movies and Beyond: where 2D becomes 3D on its way to 4D

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Possibly. Green Lantern was pretty close to the source material though, and it still wasn't executed well.

In other Marvel movie news, Edgar Wright supposedly has a test version of Ant-man done, that may possibly be shown at SDCC.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'd sell organs , possibly even my own, if GotG was Annihilation , and Avengers 2 , was Thanos Imperative. It won't be, but hot damn a man can dream!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    For anyone curious, October 10th is the Arrow premiere.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So I was just thinking... With the recent developments as to the movies Marvel's got in the pipeline, what do you guys think the odds are of SWORD showing up eventually?

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Likely I would say.

If Whedon is still involved in the Marvel Movie-verse and comes back for Avengers 2, very likely, given they seem to be gearing towards space adventures for a few of the movies.

That and Brand is baller and deserves to be in film.

Edit: So like... 3 to 1 odds in SWORDs favour?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    I saw somebody on tumblr suggest Noomi Rapace for Abigail Brand.

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    What else did you see on tumblr?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gank wrote: »
    Likely I would say.

If Whedon is still involved in the Marvel Movie-verse and comes back for Avengers 2, very likely, given they seem to be gearing towards space adventures for a few of the movies.

That and Brand is baller and deserves to be in film.

Edit: So like... 3 to 1 odds in SWORDs favour?

When Whedon was told someone had to be behind Loki it was Whedon's choice to make it REDACTED because he love the character to death. He wrote him in so he could write him in two.

Dudes, coming back.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Just got out of a preview screening of Amazing Spider-Man. I really liked it!

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Just got out of a preview screening of Amazing Spider-Man. I really liked it!

Nice. I'm off tomorrow and hoping to catch a matinee with the family.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The DVD release of the first 13 episodes of EMH Season 2 is called "The Final Season".

I guess that's true, it is... the first half of the final season, but man they aren't even trying to get people to care about that show.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The DVD release of the first 13 episodes of EMH Season 2 is called "The Final Season".

I guess that's true, it is... the first half of the final season, but man they aren't even trying to get people to care about that show.

Of course not. That would imply Loeb gives a shit about EMH's fans.

• Options
    hey, remember when Rich Johnston made a stink about EMH not actually being cancelled

what a hoot that was

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    That wasn't what he was making a stink about though?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What he wrote was someone made an anti-marvel TV website that made up fake press releases about EMH being cancelled, when what Marvel were promoting officially was Avengers Assemble.

Marvel didn't say EMH was cancelled at that point.

• Options
    he called the guy who runs a competing rumor site a liar for saying that EMH was cancelled
    And then he posted the news that the Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes would be cancelled and replaces with the cartoon Avengers Assemble. He also quoted from a press release, purported to be “print only”, saying “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes won’t be renewed for the 3rd Season. Marvel Animation will present their newly developed series Marvel’s Avengers Assemble in 2013.”

Which was picked up verbatim by sites all across the internet, some like Comic Book Movie, Oh No They Didn’t, CBR, Critiques For Geeks, giving credit to Marvel TV News, others like iFanboy, ScreenRant, Geek Tyrant, Super Hero Hype, Comic Vine not.

Only problem was that the quote was made up. There was no official press release. It was a lie that few chose to question.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What he wrote was someone made an anti-marvel TV website that made up fake press releases about EMH being cancelled, when what Marvel were promoting officially was Avengers Assemble.

Marvel didn't say EMH was cancelled at that point.

Nor did they deny it. Which was really telling about EMH's status.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    right, they never confirmed or denied, and it's safe to assume a new Avengers show replaces the older one.

It was the fact that every comic site just ran with the made up press release as opposed to asking Marvel about it.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Yeah.

And that press release was super phony. A couple of us were even questioning it in the last movie thread, because there was not a single trace of its existence, and that dude's website was the only one that directly mentioned receiving the press release, while every other website linked back to him.

The rumor was believable enough for the fake stuff to slide by pretty easy.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hey, I've heard spider-man has a mid-credits stinger. Does it have a post credit one too?

• Options
    No.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sweet, thanks for the almost creepily fast reply!

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Anyone seen the new Spider-man movie? I've been debating whether or not to see it, but the 45 minutes of origin story has been holding me back.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've heard good things, but I probably won't be able to see it til Sunday

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Better Peter, better Spider-Man, and better special effects let down by a weak script. Solid B.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the new Spider-man movie? I've been debating whether or not to see it, but the 45 minutes of origin story has been holding me back.
    It is really good.

And the origin doesn't really hurt it much.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As somebody who hates the Raimi Spider-Man movies with a fucking passion, I absolutely loved the new one. Saw it this morning. Aside from the villain's "scheme" at the end, which was fairly stupid though it seems all comic movies need some sort of scheme for mass destruction at the end, I really just loved the shit out of it. Probably more so than Avengers, though I'm not 100% sure yet. What really got me was the characters and their relationships felt really authentic, and the chemistry especially between Gwen and Peter was great. I loved that he actually moved like a spider, as well.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Darn, guess I'm going to have to see it this Saturday.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I love Spider-Man 2.

I was REALLY impressed by Amazing Spider-Man. I'm sure it was due to lowered expectations and me being a huge Spidey fan, but I really liked it..maybe more than Raimi films:

The Cons:

-The Lizard is pretty bad, CG wise and character wise.
    -Really goofy soundtrack.
    -Nowhere nears as funny/witty Spidey as they were pushing

The Pros:
    -The relationships between characters are really well done. Ben and Peter are fantastic and it makes the impact of what happens larger.
    -Garfield is a huge improvement over Mcguire. He plays a different, geekier Peter. He's shown to be smart and my favorite aspect is that he has a good character arc through the movie.
    -The fights are fantastic. Spidey moves just as you would imagine him to fight.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Those of you who've seen the Spider-Man movie: How do you feel about Ben Kuchera's take on it over at the PA Report? Spoiler: He thought it was awful, and has some pretty specific reasons he didn't like it.

I wanted to see it, but then I read that review and it put me off of the movie. Now you guy are saying it's good. I don't know whom I should listen to! Life is so complicated and strange!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    the review is dumb. period.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    why would you listen to ben kuchera's take on anything? dude's kind of a scumbag

anyway the movie is fantastic. it has a real emotional human element and incredibly strong leads (something the Raimi films just never had)

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I feel like every superhero franchise has a weak villain in its first installment. Even when heavy hitting actors like William Dafoe or Jeff Bridges are cast in the roles, developing the protagonist and his backstory doesn't seem to leave much time for giving the villain his own set of complex motives and values.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Well

Thor

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Thor is actually my least favorite of MCU movies because of the villain.

(let me explain)
    Loki is a great villain. Hell, he's one of the all time greats. But the way it was handled in the movie, Thor's redemption and Loki's turn to evil felt like they only happened because the script said so. Yeah, I get that the entire time Loki's actually been playing everyone, setting things up so they happen as they do. But there isn't really any indication of that outside of the fact that he's Loki, and a few evil looking glances here and there.

Granted, I may have just missed something massive (I was more distracted than I usually am watching movies, so I missed stuff like Odin mentioning the Odinsleep first time around), but that was just how I saw it.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked it. It was hardly a bad movie. Just wasn't my favorite.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I too wasn't a fan of the Raimi films. Too much camp and I really just never dug Tobey McGuire and Kirsten Dunst.

ASM was pretty damn great for me. Gwen is fantastic, Garfield has a charming take on Peter and he quips well. It builds a rock solid foundation for what is hopefully going to be some amazing sequels.

The only cons for me were having to run through the origin all over again and The Lizard was a pretty crappy take on the character but thats about it. The CGI looked good but theres no fixing a mug that goomba looking.

Not surprised to see the wide range of reviews out there. There was no way in hell this one was suddenly going to become universally loved, it's got to contend with the passionate Raimi trilogy fans who will fight this tooth and nail, the critics that thought the last three were crap and wrote the character off in general and as I mentioned, I don't think anyone was looking forward to having to run through the Spider-Man origin obstacle course again. Just a shitload of baggage to deal with in general but I came out of it a big fan as someone who wanted something different from what we got the last time around

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Totally agree. I thought it was a really solid movie, with the character relationships really outshining the action. And I'm totally fine with that. I'm glad they got the origin stuff out of the way and I'm genuinely excited about where they can take the sequels.
    Please don't kill Gwen yet D:

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    why would you listen to ben kuchera's take on anything? dude's kind of a scumbag

I don't really know anything about him, so I don't know if he's a scumbag (is he? What scummy thing did he do?), but whether or not he is one, his review brought up some points that made me raise my eyebrow a bit, like:
    - Peter not inventing the webbing fluid, but just getting it from Oscorp
    - Peter not being portrayed as a geeky kid
    - Peter not being portrayed as a scientist, and that he basically coasts by using other people's inventions
    - Kurt Connors being kind of a flat character

If those are not quite accurate, or if they have negative spin on them, then great! I want this to be a good movie, and I want to watch it and enjoy it.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

I don't really know anything about him, so I don't know if he's a scumbag (is he? What scummy thing did he do?), but whether or not he is one, his review brought up some points that made me raise my eyebrow a bit, like:
    - Peter not inventing the webbing fluid, but just getting it from Oscorp
    - Peter not being portrayed as a geeky kid
    - Peter not being portrayed as a scientist, and that he basically coasts by using other people's inventions
    - Kurt Connors being kind of a flat character

If those are not quite accurate, or if they have negative spin on them, then great! I want this to be a good movie, and I want to watch it and enjoy it.
    Oscorp designed the fluid, but he constructed the web shooters and altered the formula.
    Parker is less "push my glasses up and check my pocket protector" nerd because those aren't around so much anymore, dude is still a gangly social outcast
    He does coast a bit, but it is clear that he is still very intelligent and able to think on his own
    Okay yeah this one is a valid complaint

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Pete developing webbing from scratch wouldn't work in a movie. That's why Raimi's films skirted the issue altogether.
    At least this way you portray him as moderately, if not supernaturally, inventive,

This discussion has been closed.