As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comics in Movies and Beyond: where 2D becomes 3D on its way to 4D

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i too ponder this

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Man. MAN! Winter Soldier and that GotG concept art. Guys, I'm really excited.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    original.jpg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wow, a lot more movie stuff than I thought.

First, the gold/red Mark VIII doesn't look so hot. Reversing the color scheme just makes it look fugly, unless Tony's drinking becomes a key point in the story, and it was painted while he was on a huge bender thinking it looked totally boss. If you made it silver and red, like the suitcase armor, it works a lot better, and could be movie Silver Centurion.

As for GotG, I don't see Cosmo, where is Cosmo. You don't even have to put peanut butter to the dog's mouth, since he's a telepathic dog! You've got a Racoon and a giant tree, whoever thinks people won't also love a space dog are crazy. I do like Star Lord's concept, keeping the mask but losing the helmet is a fair compromise.

Winter Soldier, that seems really fast in terms of the story progression for Cap moviewise. I would have thought a A Man Without a Country or even a Protocide story would make for a good second movie, before you jump back into Bucky's story.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tex you hatin'

don't be a hater

• Options
    I'm not!

I think everything looks good on the Marvel movie front, except for that Mark VIII armor.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    this just in, Marvel has a new Hate-monger

his secret identity is Texiken

• Options
    Seriously, there seems to be a lot more cohesion and planning made for the Marvel movieverse than other parts of the company, and it's fun to watch from the sidelines. But can't man's best friend show up in space? Think of the full size Cosmo plush toy that will sell 100% more than those Hulk gloves!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I still hold out hope that Cosmo will be in the movie in some capacity. Maybe as the chief of security of Knowhere or something.

Also, have to agree about the Iron Man armour. It looks bad.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I could see Cosmo starting out as a bit of an antagonist to the team, before reluctantly joining them to save the day at the end of the movie. His origin is interesting enough and will probably get enough laughs out of the audience that I wouldn't write him out of the movie off one concept art piece. I think the team will need at least 1 or 2 more members to balance it all out. Plus, Cosmo could be a pretty great merchandising oppurtunity, as Tex pointed out.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, was I the only one who didn't know Tom Waits inspired Heath Ledger's Joker?

Because, uh, holy shit that's amazing.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    holy shit

• Options
    I just saw a commercial this evening for Dark Knight Rises, and Thomas Lennon plays Bruce's doctor. This is brilliant casting.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

I just picked up Wait's most recent album on my Kindle for only 4 bucks and it was amazing. This news makes the whole purchase that much sweeter.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Everyone should listen to Tom Waits. He is the best.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Everyone should listen to Tom Waits. He is the best.

Proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHn_Kb4Dz40

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular

That interview is amazing.

And I had no idea of the Tom Waits Joker inspiration, either.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Doesn't Marvel own Punisher again?

Who'd they buy back, Blade and...?

Bring back Tom Jane! He obviously loves it, and he's great!

Also, he just wants his kids back!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    They got Punisher and Blade ack, from Lionsgate and New Line Cinema,respectively. All remaining IP's outside of Marvel now lie with either Sony (Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) or Fox (Daredevil, Fantastic Four, X-Men)

Ghost Rider and Spider-Man both got movies this year, X-Men got one last year. Fantastic Four and Daredevil reboots are both in the works. Hopefully the Dardevil reboot falls apart as I think that one s getting close to falling back into Marvels hands.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I thought that would be old news. When I saw TDK my friends and I were like, "Hello Tom Waits!"

• Options
    The Daredevil reboot recently lost its director and I don't believe it has a script. I think I read somewhere if they don't have something in production by the end of the year the rights go back to Marvel.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I wonder if Daredevil fell back to Marvel what exactly would happen.

Do you shoehorn him somewhere into the current plans? Give him a short one-shot? Or just put him in the pipeline (now up to 2015)?

Because if I'm correct after this week we have:

2013: Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World
    2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy
    2015: (Theoretically) Avengers 2

And no date for Ant-Man, even though other than Iron Man 3, Ant Man has the most work already finished.

So I would guess Guardians will lead directly into Avengers 2 (Guardians vs. Thanos' people, then Thanos escapes and heads to Earth in Avengers 2, with the Guardians on his tail), so I'd put Ant Man maybe after Cap?

God, all this stuff seems so far away, but once it kicks into gear next year, there's like no time to even catch your breath.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    so Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and the Hulk are going to guest star on Disney's Phineas and Ferb

you can watch a short video about it here: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/16/phineas-and-ferb-mission-marvel-crossover-disney-xd/

I'm a little confused as to where Captain America is?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why'd they have to reboot FF , sigh, or moreso, Why do Surfer and Doom have to be attached to FF rights.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ant-Man will be 2015 most likely. Marvel seems aprehensive at doing more than two internal movies a year, so it probably won't be out in 2014, but it sounds like Wright wants to start filming it as soon as next year, so it'll probably be done by 2015 for sure.

The bigger question is when Avengers 2 comes out: they could put it out as movie #2 in 2015, but honestly, their previous release schedule was

2008: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk
    2009: Nuttin'
    2010: Iron Man 2
    2011: Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger
    2012: The Avengers

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a schedule like this for Phase 2

2013: Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World
    2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy
    2015: Ant-Man, Black Panther?
    2016: Avengers 2; possibly another movie as well (Dr. Strange maybe? Or perhaps that rumored Hulk revival?)

As for Daredevil, I keep saying this, but if they get the rights back they should do a Daredevil vs Punisher movie.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Bring back Tom Jane! He obviously loves it, and he's great!

Yeah, I remember seeing him talk about Punisher 2 and he was crazy passionate about it, and he thought he was going to have the creative power to make the greatest action movie of all time. It was really sad watching that whole thing fall apart over the following months, but I did enjoy Stevenson in Warzone.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

I had no idea till I clicked your link.

I knew Heath was good, but how he made his voice identical to Waits in that interview is shocking.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    DC has a new iOS game coming out that looks pretty cool

A Brawler(?) called Justice League: Earth's Final Defense that features a combination of The New 52 stuff with classic DCU stuff, and from the trailer a bunch of alternate costumes for characters, including Justice Lords Superman and Jacket/Pants Wonder Woman.

Also some sort of customizable card deck assist thing featuring an ass load of characters.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    MOVIE NEWS BITS
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, Anthony Mackie is negotiating to take the role of Sam Wilson, aka Falcon, in Joe and Anthony Russoes upcoming Marvel Studios sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    "Simon Pegg took to Twitter on Sunday to clarify, "Okay, so to be absolutely clear we start shooting Worldfs End, 10 weeks from now, then @edgarwright will shoot Ant Man next year."

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    The fact that Ledgers Jokers voice is based on Tom waits, amazing.

That punisher short was completely boss.

Game based on Secret Invasion? If its the 3rd Ultimate Alliance game we've been waiting for, awesome. Also, second trailer.

Oh wait, never mind, it's only for Wii and Kinnect.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i have a hard time believing the punisher would be indifferent to anyone being dragged away by an obviously bad guy to obviously be raped
    and the fake gore was badly done. it would have been better without it. frank snapping that guy's limbs in two was ridiculous

but i like the idea of homeless punisher with a couple pairs of pants, a few shirts, a jacket and a hat he looks stupid in that functions as a disguise

although i prefer remender's crazy guy just barely holding onto to himself and fully immersed in the science fantasy of the 616 marvel universe to a punisher max type setting

• Options
    Yeah, I found the "indifferent to rape" thing a little suss, but he's just trying to laundry on his day off. Plus those girls were hookers, and thus, criminal. Frank don't rush to save no criminal. But then the kid got involved.

And Frank snapping those limbs was hilarious and I won't hear a word against it.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i guess it sort of 'works' that frank lets bad stuff happen and then punishes the bad guys, but i didn't care for it
    and i am pretty sure he has broken prostitution rings and saved the prostitutes several times

it's a really great short movie, i just don't care for this version of the punisher
    i want 100 issues of remender, fraction and john layman writing alternate arcs with opena drawing the whole thing
    pym particles, tons of stolen avengers equipment, ray guns, power armor, jet packs, all kinds of crazy shit all the time

moore and opena and others some times drew frank as young robert deniro, which was amazing

• Options
    Actually, you're right. I'm not the biggest Punisher aficionado and I can remember him saving prostitutes more than once. Still, the man had laundry and you can not leave that shit unattended.

And Punisher for the last few years has been spectacular, but there is no way you'll ever get a Punisher movie where he flies on a goblin glider and and messes with super villains, as bitchin' as that would be.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I got the impression it was a "just trying to do my laundry, REALLY not trying to get involved in this" thing.

Then, he talks to Ron Perlman and realizes that he's the only one who's going to stop it.

(I thought it was pretty great, although the violence could've been turned down a notch. It's too bad we didn't get a bunch of Tom Jane Punisher movies.)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really when the first time I watched it was o boy flashbacks
    I know they are doing a ton of short movies or one shots but how they are going to release them I am curious about. I am curious if the punisher one was one of them or just one done indepently

• Options
    Punisher one was a fan film. It just happens to be a fan film made by one of the former actors of the franchise.

As for the Marvel shorts; the big name (like Iron Fist) ones rumored awhile back seem to have quietly died. The only things left are the Marvel One-Shots that are included on home video releases. (The Consultant, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer and the upcoming Item 47.)

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    So far so good, The Dark Knight Rises is getting great reviews so far.

May even be better than TDK. Though I'm still going to miss the original proposed sequel, where Joker goes to court.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    i have a hard time believing the punisher would be indifferent to anyone being dragged away by an obviously bad guy to obviously be raped

and the fake gore was badly done. it would have been better without it. frank snapping that guy's limbs in two was ridiculous

Yeah, that struck me as really wrong. But, I think it makes sense if you look at it as a direct continuation of Jane's Punisher film (hinted at by Frank's comment about sobriety), where he's still easing into the vigilante thing, and trying to figure out how to do it.

At that point, he may still be cautious, and reticent to intervene in broad daylight.

The gore was ridiculous, but fun in kind of a grindhouse way.

I'd still love to see Jane get another crack at the Punisher, with the origin story now out of the way, and the rights back in Marvel's hands.

This discussion has been closed.