As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Newsroom] Journalists report the news. Tabloid writers are not journalists.

1272829303133»

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's honestly just unfortunate that this episode aired so close to the news coming out that Rolling Stone jumped the gun with the UVA story, because that's in people's minds and I think it colored what they saw in this episode of The Newsroom. It probably made some people feel even more like the show was subtly accepting victim blaming than it really was.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    What do we think?
    "do you want to hear Don tell that part of the story?" was one of the funniest lines I think in the entire series.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Damn.

Slumdog laws the smackdown.

Is Mac's last line a "Joe vs. the Volcano" reference?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I thought the ending was okay. The best part being the acoustic song in the garage. But overall nothing really happened besides putting away Charlie as a character. Disaster strikes and the news cogs just keep turning I guess was the moral. I also enjoyed Wills cigarette conversation.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The episode definitely had its moments; Will's cigarette conversation, Neal's comeback, Don and Sloan's first meeting flashback, and most importantly the show finally figuring out how to make a Jim and Maggie relationship scene interesting (by interjecting Sloan into it); but I can't help but feel that it was a little anticlimactic. Nothing really seemed to happen. It just didn't feel like a series finale type of episode.

I still liked the episode by its own merits, it just felt lacking for a finale I guess.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    The episode definitely had its moments; Will's cigarette conversation, Neal's comeback, Don and Sloan's first meeting flashback, and most importantly the show finally figuring out how to make a Jim and Maggie relationship scene interesting (by interjecting Sloan into it); but I can't help but feel that it was a little anticlimactic. Nothing really seemed to happen. It just didn't feel like a series finale type of episode.

I still liked the episode by its own merits, it just felt lacking for a finale I guess.

I think we have the same problem. This finale simply tied up loose-ends with our characters- but did nothing to further the plot as a whole. I think it sought to give us closure, but it felt rushed. I felt like it still had steam, and I think they (Sorkin/HBO) knew it too. Maybe they chose to end it on a high note, or..just to end it.

Whatever the case is, i'll miss it. It was a good show.

• Options
    There was a couple things that I didn't like... the Jim playing guitar in an empty apartment while talking about the long distance relationship was just to set up the last ten minutes (the jam and the maggie thing). Did we know he played guitar before? I don't remember that. And why was he playing guitar over beginning guitar lessons? It was like "Hey Jim plays guitar REALLY well and could jam with Will if the chance came up"

I remember Will talking about guitar before (I think, I am giving them the benefit of doubt) but once again they made sure they announced his skill earlier in the episode. Talking about the specific song they would play later was ok, reminding him he could play guitar was just too much tied to the Jim bit.

IT was like they were rushing to the end in an episode that wasn't really much about anything.

I loved the episode though, it was really just the end of Wild Things (Yes, that movie) where they let us in on the real mystery during the closing credits - except this whole episode was the closing credits.

Things I love: Neil's only scene. The whole Don and Sloan's limo moment ... especially when she asks if they want to hear don's story on how he killed charlie. As sappy as it was, I did like "I wasn't in love with them" line.

I am reading how the final two episodes just suck on every other website.

I don't think they sucked, I think it's an issue regarding who this was written for. This show was written to reverberate with old school thinking in a new school environment, for people who have been coasting too long with their passion dead but not forgotten. It was promising a dream to share with the audience - what if you were not only given the ok to ignite your passion again but given a team to fight til the end with?

The final episode really made that ring true.
    We see how Charlie literally died trying to accomplish what he set out to do...
    We see how it gave Will and Jim and Don and Maggie and Mackenzie all second chances to find success in life.
    It showed that Neil never lost his passion and was the true hero of the show... and he got his moment how ever brief it was with that web guy (though not as shining moment as when he told the girl to shut the fuck up talking about ron paul)

The second season wasn't as solid as it should have been and probably what killed the show overall, but when this show was in the groove holy crap it was in the groove. The final episode was more a moment to pause and drive the point home quietly what it had been about. I think I prefer the second season finale (the best episode of the second season by far) to this one ... but yea this was a worthwhile show.

At no point would i say "Hey the second and third season aren't as good as the first, don't get invested." That burning hatred is only reserved for True Blood where I say "nope don't even start... that show went nowhere it literally is not a good journey"

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The AV Club points out hilariously that Neil returns from literally fleeing the country for the sake of his journalistic integrity and his only reward is that people applaud him at the funeral (when he's not there to hear it) and he gets his old job back. Nobody from the rest of the main cast even gives him a hug or says hi or anything.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    We were pissed Neil only got the one scene. And yea that is kind'a spot on, however he was in hiding and Will was in jail so for both of them it was less than ideal and charlie's death kind'a overshadows everything right?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I really liked it as an end cap for the whole series. The only thing that bugged me was
    Mac being that dense. She is smarter than that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Granted she was pregnant, her husband just got out of jail, her boss has died, her company is in complete shambles. I will let something get away from her, but yea that was pretty bad.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Maybe Mac was drunk. The episode went out of its way to establish that Mac misses obvious things when she's drunk.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    There was a couple things that I didn't like... the Jim playing guitar in an empty apartment while talking about the long distance relationship was just to set up the last ten minutes (the jam and the maggie thing). Did we know he played guitar before? I don't remember that. And why was he playing guitar over beginning guitar lessons? It was like "Hey Jim plays guitar REALLY well and could jam with Will if the chance came up"

In the Bin Laden episode Will and Jim are playing and singing together at Will's party, so they did establish he could play guitar before. Still weird, but yes, they did have him playing before.

Also, the actor was on Broadway, so it's not surprising they want to go "Hey he's musical!" every now and again.

• Options
    Maybe Mac was drunk. The episode went out of its way to establish that Mac misses obvious things when she's drunk.

Hope not, she knows she is pregnant and of the age worries already start to pop up. Sure science says it's probably ok to be drunk once in a while carry child now, but yea...

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Okay, I just started watching this show, and therefore haven't read the whole thread, but did it take anyone else a really long time to realize Elliot isn't played by Matt Stone from South Park?

Moreover, have Matt Stone and David Harbour ever appeared in public together?

I think I may be on to something.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I thought the rape interview was poorly handled.

If they were going to go with the website is reckless and Internet vigilanistm is bad they should have tied it back to the NYPost/Reddit Boston Bomber story from earlier in the season.

And it felt unnecessary since it's the penultimate episode and added nothing to the storyline other than the conclusion. And really even that was unnecessary since Sloan handled both the Internet vigilante and unsurbodination angle.

I was pretty happy with it, honestly, largely because it hit me pretty close to home, given its similarity to a real-life controversy involving using Fetlife to out consent violators in BDSM, and watching Don Keefer in that scene made me feel like I was looking into a mirror.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Okay, I just started watching this show, and therefore haven't read the whole thread, but did it take anyone else a really long time to realize Elliot isn't played by Matt Stone from South Park?

Moreover, have Matt Stone and David Harbour ever appeared in public together?

I think I may be on to something.

I mean they're both white guys, sure.